New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

When glue instantly hardens to you but remains able to stick to literally anything else pretty much permanently it becomes great in a fight. Clothing that is loose enough to have an effect on Minetta's balls would be awful in a fight and likely to tangle you up
    To start with No. It seems this idea needs to be killed. I have fough several times in a dobok, it is rather lose, lose enough to not make it an issue if a few tennis balls were to be stuck to it, but its not something that tangles you up.

Also that bag of marbles line is crap, there is a world of difference between being inescapably stuck to the ground and marbles.
    Actually yeah, the idea might be favoring the massiv dark ball to much. After all there is only one and its easy to see, while you can have several marbles in a bag, and they are much harder to stop..
    Because there is no such thing as inescapably stuck. Not here. A chain is newer stronger than its weakest link. And even if someone were dumb enough to step on the large dark ball, then they would only be held by a force as strong as the sole of the shoe or the surface beneath.

Just because you lack the imagination to use the quirk to its full potential doesn't mean the writer does
    I think you mean "just because i dont prescripe to your Tom and Jerry Logic?" Because sure, your welcome to call that unimagenative. I prefer the term Realistic.

since it has been scarily effective every time we see it used for very good reasons. Minetta's balls took out an entire goon squad during the attack on the rescue training center
    Your being awfully selective here. It seems like your ignoring that what took those villeans out were a combo attack between 3 people. And that it partly worked because those were relatively dumb goons who had no idea what the balls did.
    Thats an advantage that is not going to last long.

the only real flaw Minetta's balls have is that they are attached to Minetta. Who is a bit of a coward and rather small minded, but if someone else in the class had access his balls like Deku did when he took out the water villians with them they would be distinctly OP.
    You mean besides being countered by a tennis ketcher or a cloak?..

And no, i am newer going to call them OP. On another person they most likely would have been useful. But calling them OP leaves no room for describing Todoriki's ice/fire quirk. Or Deku's One For All.
    Those are the sort of quirks its believable would get though on a weak chassis like Minetta.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Colossus in the Playground

Okay quick question what the ****s a tennis ketcher? Because I have no idea what that is and the image in my head is like a jet or tennis racket.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Okay quick question what the ****s a tennis ketcher? Because I have no idea what that is and the image in my head is like a jet or tennis racket.
    Yea he means Tennis racket.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    To start with No. It seems this idea needs to be killed. I have fough several times in a dobok, it is rather lose, lose enough to not make it an issue if a few tennis balls were to be stuck to it, but its not something that tangles you up.

Actually yeah, the idea might be favoring the massiv dark ball to much. After all there is only one and its easy to see, while you can have several marbles in a bag, and they are much harder to stop..
    Because there is no such thing as inescapably stuck. Not here. A chain is newer stronger than its weakest link. And even if someone were dumb enough to step on the large dark ball, then they would only be held by a force as strong as the sole of the shoe or the surface beneath.

I think you mean "just because i dont prescripe to your Tom and Jerry Logic?" Because sure, your welcome to call that unimagenative. I prefer the term Realistic.

Your being awfully selective here. It seems like your ignoring that what took those villeans out were a combo attack between 3 people. And that it partly worked because those were relatively dumb goons who had no idea what the balls did.
    Thats an advantage that is not going to last long.

You mean besides being countered by a tennis ketcher or a cloak?..

And no, i am newer going to call them OP. On another person they most likely would have been useful. But calling them OP leaves no room for describing Todoriki's ice/fire quirk. Or Deku's One For All.
    Those are the sort of quirks its believable would get though on a weak chassis like Minetta.
    You are selectively forgetting that those tennis balls don't lose their stickieness just because they are stuck to your clothes. They keep going till every inch of them is stuck to something. It is pretty clear to me though that you really don't seem to understand how to get the most out of a quirk that isn't already super powerful by default and that Minetta could take out All for One and you would still refuse to give him and his magnificent balls the respect they deserve.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #1025

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show

We finally get the full explanation for Night Eye's power...and we see very clearly that part of why he doesn't use it is because he cannot cope with the idea of seeing someone's death.

And we get some good scenes with Eraserhead, and with Eri. Dun dun duuun.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

You are selectively forgetting that those tennis balls don't lose their stickieness just because they are stuck to your clothes. They keep going till every inch of them is stuck to something. It is pretty clear to me though that you really don't seem to understand how to get the most out of a quirk that isn't already super powerful by default and that Minetta could take out All for One and you would still refuse to give him and his magnificent balls the respect they deserve.
    If there were that awesome then i would think you would have an easier time formulating arguments for them. Instead of ignoring all arguments to the contrary and just going "awesome balls! awesome balls!"

Because, and i repeat myself.

Defeated By A Cloak Or a Tennis Kettle

7. - Top - End - #1027

If there were that awesome then i would think you would have an easier time formulating arguments for them. Instead of ignoring all arguments to the contrary and just going "awesome balls! awesome balls!"

Okay let's go over this a bit. It hits your cloak. Now you have a sticky ball on your cloak.

What happens when that ball hits something else? You have to remove the cloak, otherwise you'll be stuck to that thing through your cloak. It's still attached to you.

Tennis racket wise: Congrats, you hit it. The ball is now stuck on the racket. You can only do this so many times before the racket is too heavy to use again. This is defeating it in that yes, if you are able to avoid or discard clothing enough to avoid getting stuck to say, the ground, until Mineta's head starts bleeding, unable to respawn his balls, then yes congrats you have defeated him. But that'll take awhile, and if any touch a part of your body you can't remove or drop, you have to suddenly be VERY careful.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Troll in the Playground

It is easy to formulate arguments for his power but when the other person is acting in good faith, but you already have decided that his quirk is bad and no amount of reason is going to make you rethink that. Literally every time I bring a point up you just keep repeating yourself over and over so I'm not sure what the point of continuing the conversation would be. Other than to emulate the feeling of beating my head against a wall.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2017-05-02 at 10:36 PM.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have to say, the latest chapter was really great for me.
    Spoiler: Spoilers for latest chapter
    Show
    Both Nighteye showing the cracks in his "logical hero" mask, and Eri realizing for the first time in her life how it feels like to have someone caring for you, even if it's just because he's someone who cares for everyone. I'm a sucker for this particular kind of feely stuff.

Regarding Mineta, I don't really see him becoming very good at 1vs1 fights, but he could be the best sidekick ever. He's smart when he wants to be, and just a single sticky ball in the right place at the right time, while the opponent is distracted, could make all the difference in a fight.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2017-05-03 at 07:20 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    I have to say, the latest chapter was really great for me.
    Spoiler: Spoilers for latest chapter
    Show
    Both Nighteye showing the cracks in his "logical hero" mask, and Eri realizing for the first time in her life how it feels like to have someone caring for you, even if it's just because he's someone who cares for everyone. I'm a sucker for this particular kind of feely stuff.

Regarding Mineta, I don't really see him becoming very good at 1vs1 fights, but he could be the best sidekick ever. He's smart when he wants to be, and just a single sticky ball in the right place at the right time, while the opponent is distracted, could make all the difference in a fight.
    Being a sidekick is more of a personality thing, if he were more outgoing and marketable with better leadership skills he could just as easily be the main hero with a sidekick to help him with setting up ball placement tactics. Which have been shown several times to be harder to notice than people give them credit for and really do make for great traps.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

Okay let's go over this a bit. It hits your cloak. Now you have a sticky ball on your cloak.

What happens when that ball hits something else? You have to remove the cloak, otherwise you'll be stuck to that thing through your cloak. It's still attached to you.
    Well, the scenario as i have seen is a fight between whoever has the ball quirk, and someone who dont have it. We have seen that the balls are fairly light light, so they wont get thrown with to much force.

And that means that when you runs towards Minetta he will be able to throw perhaps a handful of balls that stick to your cloak, before you are up close where the balls are less useful, and you can choke him slowly.

Meanwhile, in the case of a single ball stuck to your cloak, so what?
    If it sticks to something else you can just move on, unless its some sort of armored cloak your either going to just get it torn off, or get the fibers that were actually in contact with the ball torn out of the cloak. It might ruin the cloak, but it wont stop an adult human in good shape.

Tennis racket wise: Congrats, you hit it. The ball is now stuck on the racket. You can only do this so many times before the racket is too heavy to use again. This is defeating it in that yes, if you are able to avoid or discard clothing enough to avoid getting stuck to say, the ground, until Mineta's head starts bleeding, unable to respawn his balls, then yes congrats you have defeated him. But that'll take awhile, and if any touch a part of your body you can't remove or drop, you have to suddenly be VERY careful.
    I see the reason for part of out disagreement here. In your scenario Mineta is able to keep throwing balls at his target until he runs out of balls. In my scenario on the other hand, he gets to throw perhaps 4-5 of them (random number) before his target has reached him and brained him with a tennis racket.

It is easy to formulate arguments for his power but when the other person is acting in good faith, but you already have decided that his quirk is bad and no amount of reason is going to make you rethink that. Literally every time I bring a point up you just keep repeating yourself over and over so I'm not sure what the point of continuing the conversation would be. Other than to emulate the feeling of beating my head against a wall.
    I dont think you are they right person to comment about arguing in good faith. If you have not done anything to refute some of the arguments made against the ball power, then of course they are going to be repeated.

Well yes, i can see far less arguments against this. Besides the rather obvious one about lost opportunity cost, in that this quirk should be weighted against having someone with a more active quirk, who instead could actively assist.
    I mean, who would You rather have as a sidekick? Minetta or Bakugo?

All the same, i have as such newer claimed his quirk were actually useless, i am mainly arguing against calling it OP in any way, or that it should be strong enough to carry Mineta who seems to have the physique of a 7-year old and a cowardly attitude.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Troll in the Playground

Well yes, i can see far less arguments against this. Besides the rather obvious one about lost opportunity cost, in that this quirk should be weighted against having someone with a more active quirk, who instead could actively assist.
    Truth be told, neither, and for the exact same reasons: useful quirks, but useless personalities. A hero needs a sidekick they can actually rely on, and that's neither Mineta nor Bakugou. Give me Ochako or Iida every time.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Truth be told, neither, and for the exact same reasons: useful quirks, but useless personalities. A hero needs a sidekick they can actually rely on, and that's neither Mineta nor Bakugou. Give me Ochako or Iida every time.
    100% this, although if it was a situation where it was literally one or the other I would lean towards Mineta. His quirk is better at non lethally disabling people with pretty much zero collateral damage.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    100% this, although if it was a situation where it was literally one or the other I would lean towards Mineta. His quirk is better at non lethally disabling people with pretty much zero collateral damage.
    I on the other hand if forced to choose would probably choose Bakugou solely because he's the dude with the fans, and this being a superhero story, the author liking you is always the overriding factor .

15. - Top - End - #1035

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    I on the other hand if forced to choose would probably choose Bakugou solely because he's the dude with the fans, and this being a superhero story, the author liking you is always the overriding factor .
    If you're gonna use that style of meta logic, you realize that's setting you up for "Bakugo fails and you get hurt to teach him a lesson" right? Safer to go with Mineta, he'd get his time to shine.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Troll in the Playground

If you're gonna use that style of meta logic, you realize that's setting you up for "Bakugo fails and you get hurt to teach him a lesson" right? Safer to go with Mineta, he'd get his time to shine.
    Nah. I have very legitimate doubts that Mineta will ever actually get a time to shine onscreen. Heck, I doubt it for a good third of the class that are treated with less contempt by the author than Mineta is
    Last edited by Drascin; 2017-05-07 at 01:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

I would pick Bakugo on the point that i can tolerate a foul mouth if it comes along with a assistant i can rely on to guard my back effectively.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, the scenario as i have seen is a fight between whoever has the ball quirk, and someone who dont have it. We have seen that the balls are fairly light light, so they wont get thrown with to much force.

And that means that when you runs towards Minetta he will be able to throw perhaps a handful of balls that stick to your cloak, before you are up close where the balls are less useful, and you can choke him slowly.

Meanwhile, in the case of a single ball stuck to your cloak, so what?
    If it sticks to something else you can just move on, unless its some sort of armored cloak your either going to just get it torn off, or get the fibers that were actually in contact with the ball torn out of the cloak. It might ruin the cloak, but it wont stop an adult human in good shape.

I see the reason for part of out disagreement here. In your scenario Mineta is able to keep throwing balls at his target until he runs out of balls. In my scenario on the other hand, he gets to throw perhaps 4-5 of them (random number) before his target has reached him and brained him with a tennis racket.

I dont think you are they right person to comment about arguing in good faith. If you have not done anything to refute some of the arguments made against the ball power, then of course they are going to be repeated.

All the same, i have as such newer claimed his quirk were actually useless, i am mainly arguing against calling it OP in any way, or that it should be strong enough to carry Mineta who seems to have the physique of a 7-year old and a cowardly attitude.
    I'm confused about Mineta's physical skills. He's not just a skinny kid, he's really agile. Not many people can run across a field only landing on balls that they threw( to avoid freezing on ice). Is he actually really quick and agile or was it just a bonus to morale handwave?

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think we can assume every UA student has way higher than average physical skills and reflexes (even Deku, after his six months of training, was low-tier in his class without using OfA)

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    I'm confused about Mineta's physical skills. He's not just a skinny kid, he's really agile. Not many people can run across a field only landing on balls that they threw( to avoid freezing on ice). Is he actually really quick and agile or was it just a bonus to morale handwave?
    Considering he qualified for the school I give him the benefit of the doubt. He has also been shown to be pretty darn accurate with the things and can put quite a few of them out.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Troll in the Playground

I would pick Bakugo on the point that i can tolerate a foul mouth if it comes along with a assistant i can rely on to guard my back effectively.
    See, I wouldn't consider either of them capable of reliably watching anybody's back. Mineta's a coward that will panic at the slightest hint of shock and awe tactics, and Bakugou is Overconfident Leeroy Jenkins.

Hence why I said just keep Iida around instead. Dude probably can follow basic tactical plans.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

I think we can assume every UA student has way higher than average physical skills and reflexes (even Deku, after his six months of training, was low-tier in his class without using OfA)
    Was that not when everyone else got to use their quirks though?

See, I wouldn't consider either of them capable of reliably watching anybody's back. Mineta's a coward that will panic at the slightest hint of shock and awe tactics, and Bakugou is Overconfident Leeroy Jenkins.
    Really? as i recalled Bakugo showed he as able to fight back to back with Krisha seveal times?
    He is certainly confident, but i would not say to overconfident. He is almost that good.

Hence why I said just keep Iida around instead. Dude probably can follow basic tactical plans.
    Ida is the sensible, safe pick. His Quirk is strong and allround useful. And Ida is smart though not overtly imagenative.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Not too happy with the just now released episode, it was 90% filler and didn't really reveal anything we didn't really know already or could easily guess. (episode 5 s2)

Looking forward to the fights though.

24. - Top - End - #1044

New chapters from beyond the void!

Long story short, stuff is happening! It's good stuff. Setting up for the big attack on the Nine Precepts HQ.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

New chapters from beyond the void!

Long story short, stuff is happening! It's good stuff. Setting up for the big attack on the Nine Precepts HQ.
    I was about to say not much is happening.. Build up, good build up that promises an interesting next chapter. But not much now.

Anime remains fun. I hope for more detailed battles? We will see. Also, it's hard not to like shiro, I forgot about that.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

26. - Top - End - #1046

New vigilantes!
    Spoiler
    Show

some bonding with the cast, world building/character stuff. I totally called that the "little boy" from Gentle-man's story was Pop*Step but it still worked well and was super cute. I really like her, she's adorable. I love how Iron Knuckle is just the rudest boy but clearly the team dad.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

New vigilantes!
    Spoiler
    Show

some bonding with the cast, world building/character stuff. I totally called that the "little boy" from Gentle-man's story was Pop*Step but it still worked well and was super cute. I really like her, she's adorable. I love how Iron Knuckle is just the rudest boy but clearly the team dad.
    I'm torn...
    Spoiler
    Show

between this being hilariously stupid or adorable.
    I don't know... it kind of bugs me because this now feels like all this great love and destiny romance stuff from other series... which I really don't like. Okay, she was stalking him but still...
    Oh well, it's not terrible. But I still feel like.. I can't out it. I'm just not totally happy.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

New vigilantes!
    Spoiler
    Show

What chapter is this I didn't see anything like that in the 7.5 chapter and thats the newest I can find.

29. - Top - End - #1049

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'm torn...
    Spoiler
    Show

between this being hilariously stupid or adorable.
    I don't know... it kind of bugs me because this now feels like all this great love and destiny romance stuff from other series... which I really don't like. Okay, she was stalking him but still...
    Oh well, it's not terrible. But I still feel like.. I can't out it. I'm just not totally happy.
    Spoiler
    Show

It made me realize that if you go back to earlier chapters you can see her in the background stalking him and it's adorable but also kinda creepy. It's a good thing that due to being vigilantes our heroes are anti heroes at best because otherwise that'd be creepy as ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    What chapter is this I didn't see anything like that in the 7.5 chapter and thats the newest I can find.
    It just came out, be sure to check all the places you can check.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: Vigilantes

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, this one seemed to come right out of nowhere. The whole "met before and something important happened but they (or one of them) don't recognize each other now" plot is something I'd expect out of a different series. And is a real big coincidence.

Although, it does explain why she keeps hanging around and joins their vigilantism despite being on the surface of it nothing more than an illegal street performer. So there's that.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.