New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Spoiler
    Show
    CHRISTOPHER SKYLINE.

AKA: CAAAAAPTAAAAIN CELEBRITY!

I'm really really glad we got this. I wanted to see more American heroes and this is EXACTLY how they'd goooooooo. Good lord. He's even in scandals.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Vigilantes
    Show
    Scandals and lawsuits. And a theme song.

Looks like he has flight and super strength (lifting the cruise ship), which means two Quirks? It worked with Todoroki, so it's within the realm of possibility.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    All the same, the detail about not officially having achknowledge the name Hauler should not have saved our hero from being exposed. Thats something that would have worked against some magical lie detection that can be cheated by technical truths.
    It's general policy to put details of the recent episode/chapter in spoiler boxes for people who have't seen it yet, btw.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It might have been that Koichi was more focussed on the fact that people can't get his name right than trying to evade the question.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

4. - Top - End - #1294

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Spoiler: Vigilantes
    Show
    Scandals and lawsuits. And a theme song.

Looks like he has flight and super strength (lifting the cruise ship), which means two Quirks? It worked with Todoroki, so it's within the realm of possibility.
    Spoiler
    Show

We explicitly know how quirk inheriting work and it works that way, so possibly. Given HOW he floats, he might just have pure gravity control?

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Latest Vigilante chapter
    Show
    It would be fun if his Quirk actually was "be like an American superhero" and included both flight and super-strength, similarly to how Tsuyu's quirk is "be like a frog" and includes various advantages. I assume the guy is more than he looks like on the surface, since he'd have to have trained super-hard to push his Quirk (whatever that is) to these levels. But at the same time, he also honestly is what he looks like on the surface. I like him.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2017-10-11 at 03:17 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

It's general policy to put details of the recent episode/chapter in spoiler boxes for people who have't seen it yet, btw.
    That is true, it is general policy to wait a day or two, or at least a couple of posts, to give people a chance to register that there were a new chapter out.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

We explicitly know how quirk inheriting work and it works that way, so possibly. Given HOW he floats, he might just have pure gravity control?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah gravity control could work, or maybe some kind of short-ranged telekinesis (he lifted himself and the cruise ship as he was touching it). We've seen that characters can get pretty creative with their quirks and use them in unusual ways e.g. Mina's acid skating.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Titan in the Playground

I think its pretty likely he just have flight and super strenght, we dont need to overthink this.
    He is a stereotypical american super hero, and at least partly a Superman parody.

9. - Top - End - #1299

New chapter is out!
    Spoiler
    Show

We learn how they dealt with that big dude, and how they got sent down in the first place (Toga tricked everyone!) We also learn the big guy's quirk (sucking in life force) and the last of then Big Three's quirk (blasting out vitality lasers). Then we get back to the action, and Deku unfortunately but also fortunately tells Uraraka to help Nighteye, and tries to fight Chisaki. And promptly gets his face nearly shaved off.

Buuut, Lemillion's cape goes flying, and Eri holds onto it! As she passes by Chisaki, we get a flashback revealing she's the Yakuza boss's granddaughter, with no true connection to Chisaki himself...and we learn that yes, sometimes (though rarely) a non related quirk in the family tree can appear. And her quirk is that of "Rewind". And this is how Nighteye can "see that we die and Chisaki escapes" while that doesn't actually happen, and how Lemillion will likely get his Quirk back. SPACE TIME REWIND!

Also hey, the truth forcer gets to live, as Eri rewinds Chisaki back to his regular, not messed up super mode.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

This was quite the surprise indeed, rewinding is a slightly unusual power for basing a quirk destroying weapon on.
    Its also an utterly terrifying power, that can seemingly erase someone from existance if used out of control.

The main question though, is likely whats going to actually be rewinded now? It seems like she is about to do something towards Deku. What will it be? His fatique? the damage buildup in his bones?

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

This was quite the surprise indeed, rewinding is a slightly unusual power for basing a quirk destroying weapon on.
    Its also an utterly terrifying power, that can seemingly erase someone from existance if used out of control.

The main question though, is likely whats going to actually be rewinded now? It seems like she is about to do something towards Deku. What will it be? His fatique? the damage buildup in his bones?
    Spoiler
    Show
    What if the rewinding quirk not rewinding the clothes (in the flashback) and her getting a hold of the cape are connected so Lemillion is rewinded to the point that he is fully healed, and fully costumed connected to the cloak?
    Last edited by thethird; 2017-10-13 at 06:26 AM.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Uhm... how exactly does rewinding remove quirks? It seems to me much more of a copy of Medka Box' Kumagawa, i.e. erasing or undoing things in a loose sense. But I guess it's just she can do what the plot wants her to do.

Anyway. interesting flashback but not much new... Ok, Nejire's quirk is revealed. I guess I better dn't think about how exactly this works...

Looking forward to next week, though.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

13. - Top - End - #1303

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Uhm... how exactly does rewinding remove quirks? It seems to me much more of a copy of Medka Box' Kumagawa, i.e. erasing or undoing things in a loose sense. But I guess it's just she can do what the plot wants her to do.

Anyway. interesting flashback but not much new... Ok, Nejire's quirk is revealed. I guess I better dn't think about how exactly this works...

Looking forward to next week, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

That's actually a really interesting question, and I think I know the answer. They studied her quirk until they found the exact method to how she rewinds stuff, and then just iterated on bullets until they found one that rewound only the specific, quirk related parts of the body, back to childhood age. Ergo, even if you got hit with the fully powered up bullet, you might be able to regain your quirk after a handful of years.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Titan in the Playground

Also yes, to continue the discussion of important things: butt.
    Can't argue with that...

Also, I'm somewhat cnfused with Vigilantes schedule... almost missed the second chapter. So... I guess this kind of relates to the history lesson last time? But then... how does CC keep his job?

Spoiler
    Show

That's actually a really interesting question, and I think I know the answer. They studied her quirk until they found the exact method to how she rewinds stuff, and then just iterated on bullets until they found one that rewound only the specific, quirk related parts of the body, back to childhood age. Ergo, even if you got hit with the fully powered up bullet, you might be able to regain your quirk after a handful of years.
    Hm... I guess this makes sense. I'm still wondering why you would rather depower than kill a hero..
    "What's done is done."

15. - Top - End - #1305

Can't argue with that...

Also, I'm somewhat cnfused with Vigilantes schedule... almost missed the second chapter. So... I guess this kind of relates to the history lesson last time? But then... how does CC keep his job?

Hm... I guess this makes sense. I'm still wondering why you would rather depower than kill a hero..
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the idea is that America now has it's own system much like Japan's, just Americanized...thus we get someone like CAPTAIN CELEBRITY.

It's a power play. Killing gets the cops on you. Killing is The Worst Crime. All these bullets do is remove your quirk...technically that's not even illegal. The bullets don't even hurt so like...it's mostly just annoying? But it's also SUPER powerful since...it's disabling heroes. That means a lot. If anything, it levels the playing field.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the idea is that America now has it's own system much like Japan's, just Americanized...thus we get someone like CAPTAIN CELEBRITY.

It's a power play. Killing gets the cops on you. Killing is The Worst Crime. All these bullets do is remove your quirk...technically that's not even illegal. The bullets don't even hurt so like...it's mostly just annoying? But it's also SUPER powerful since...it's disabling heroes. That means a lot. If anything, it levels the playing field.
    Spoiler
    Show
    De-power bullets also stop certain heroes a lot more effectively than regular ones would. Anyone whose Quirk would allow them to fight on in spite of bullet wounds suddenly can't, usually offering a cleaner takedown. Targets where the Quirk-erasing bullets can't find purchase enough to deliver their payload are also ones where regular small arms fire probably wouldn't do much, either.

17. - Top - End - #1307

It's also a threat to people messing with them. If you cross these guys, they might not kill you, but you will lose your superpowers in a world where your powers determines a lot about how people treat you. Suddenly, you're not an admired hero, a feared Yazuka or a rising villain, you're on the same level as a kid whose mother broke down crying because he wasn't born better. You're actually probably worse off, since at least that kid would never have built a life around having a Quirk and then lost it. When people hear of that, they might not want to get in the way of the Eight Precepts.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Titan in the Playground

It's also a threat to people messing with them. If you cross these guys, they might not kill you, but you will lose your superpowers in a world where your powers determines a lot about how people treat you. Suddenly, you're not an admired hero, a feared Yazuka or a rising villain, you're on the same level as a kid whose mother broke down crying because he wasn't born better. You're actually probably worse off, since at least that kid would never have built a life around having a Quirk and then lost it. When people hear of that, they might not want to get in the way of the Eight Precepts.
    Yeah, its a fate close to being worse than death for a proffesional hero, who have build the majority of their identity around their powerful quirk.
    Kill a hero and you creates a martyr. Depower a hero permanently and you break morale for the entire hero community.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ettin in the Playground

Look at it this way, not all quirks are born equal and only determination, dedication, and creativity can change that...which not everyone is able or willing to do. These bullets make it so someone with a relatively benign quirk is suddenly a threat to powerful heroes like All Might or Endeavor (assuming they can get a shot in) where otherwise the would not be. In addition to making looks a lot more viable it also makes repeat encounters a lot more dangerous to heroes. What if they access to these bullets? It means an off-hand encounter with some thug could end the career of a pro-hero, which is a net win for the criminal underworld and a loss for the good guys. You aren't always capable of killing a hero bit this is just as good if not better in some situations.

Could you imagine the ramifications of All for One or One for All got deleted like that?

Its about putting fear into heroes and closing the gap between professionally trained heroes and average criminals.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Titan in the Playground

Look at it this way, not all quirks are born equal and only determination, dedication, and creativity can change that...which not everyone is able or willing to do. These bullets make it so someone with a relatively benign quirk is suddenly a threat to powerful heroes like All Might or Endeavor (assuming they can get a shot in) where otherwise the would not be. In addition to making looks a lot more viable it also makes repeat encounters a lot more dangerous to heroes. What if they access to these bullets? It means an off-hand encounter with some thug could end the career of a pro-hero, which is a net win for the criminal underworld and a loss for the good guys. You aren't always capable of killing a hero bit this is just as good if not better in some situations.

Could you imagine the ramifications of All for One or One for All got deleted like that?
    Kinda disagree with that bit. Some gasps are just to big, and no matter what you do, you cant surpas fx All Might or All for One, if your main quirk is being frog-like.
    And those arguments really more or less works as well for a normal bullet. If you can pierce All Might's skin with a small needle, then you can also hurt him with a gun. Its something like 80-90 % of the heroes we can seen, who can be treatend by a just thug with a regular pistol.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ettin in the Playground

Kinda disagree with that bit. Some gasps are just to big, and no matter what you do, you cant surpas fx All Might or All for One, if your main quirk is being frog-like.
    Counter point: Best Jeanist, third(?) rated pro hero and all he could do was control denim. There are problems that can't be solved by All Might for example but you aren't entirely wrong either.

Regarding your bullet point...there is still a big difference between the two. You shoot All Might and he's injured (maybe? is All Might bulletproof?) but still able to take you out barring a fatal shot. One of Onslaught's bullets? Doesn't need to be a fatal shot. Did it hurt All Might? He no longer has a quirk. Your own odds of winning just improved dramatically and even if you lose, All Might still lost more, especially since we've seen healing quirks exist (so a gun shot wound will be healed) but as far as we know they wouldn't work on Quirk erasure.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Titan in the Playground

Counter point: Best Jeanist, third(?) rated pro hero and all he could do was control denim. There are problems that can't be solved by All Might for example but you aren't entirely wrong either.
    Hmm.. im not certain Best Jeanist is a good point. To start with complete control over clothes makes him unusually effective at a lot of tasks, and hard to take down by anyone not ready to run at him nude. Besides that we dont really know how the hero ranking is assigned. Its very likely to be something like number of tasks completed, or popularity. Or at least also be weighted by factors like that.
    Im also not certain that its a relevant point there are problems that cant be solved by All Might. Any quirk has things it cant really deal with. Recovery girl would blow both number 1, 2 and 3 hero out of the water when it comes to something as simple as fixing a broken arm, just to take a extreme example.

Its when the problem becomes "All For One is rampaging down the main street" that it becomes clear how wide a gulf there can be between quirks.

Regarding your bullet point...there is still a big difference between the two. You shoot All Might and he's injured (maybe? is All Might bulletproof?) but still able to take you out barring a fatal shot. One of Onslaught's bullets? Doesn't need to be a fatal shot. Did it hurt All Might? He no longer has a quirk. Your own odds of winning just improved dramatically and even if you lose, All Might still lost more, especially since we've seen healing quirks exist (so a gun shot wound will be healed) but as far as we know they wouldn't work on Quirk erasure.
    Hmm.. well.. im not certain the difference is that big, if you only graze him then yes he will likely come after you. But a direct hit dont need to be fatal to take him down for a count before he bleeds out. And one of Onslaughts bullets also run the risk of only grazing, or of injecting its content into a piece of uniform because some fool is wearing a thick cape. Regular bullets also have the added advantage of being extremely cheap compared to special quirk removal bullets. Cheap enough that you can just sell them to a bunch of morons and wait things out.
    (Actually, All Might should be bullet proof, to be able to do the things he casually does. But that does of course not mean he is))

23. - Top - End - #1313

Guys. Guysguysguys.

Spoiler: New chapter
    Show
    Infinite F***ing 100%. Eri doesn't know how to stop using her rewind powers, so Deku (now a certified master in hurting himself) decides to constantly break his body with OfA to give her power something to rewind. And all of this is still somehow part of Nighteye's prediction.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Its also more or less confirmed now, Eri will be able to use her rewind power to erase the effect of the power-erasing bullets

25. - Top - End - #1315

Spoiler: Latest chapter
    Show
    Why do you say that? I mean, if she could rewind the effects of her own rewinds, she could have made her father reappear. On the other contrary, I'd say this chapter makes it more likely (though not certain) that she cannot do that, since her control over her power is so lacking.

26. - Top - End - #1316

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    Spoiler: Latest chapter
    Show
    Why do you say that? I mean, if she could rewind the effects of her own rewinds, she could have made her father reappear. On the other contrary, I'd say this chapter makes it more likely (though not certain) that she cannot do that, since her control over her power is so lacking.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, eventually she'll learn how to control it and then she can fix Mirio. She can't fix her Dad because she rewound him into nothingness and her power requires touching someone to work. Can't bring him back if he doesn't exist.

But yeah this is...a fascinating chapter, and I'm actually pretty hype as hell to get a taste of what 100% Full Cowling looks like.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well, who is to say she cant layer the effect of one rewind so the other wont happen? To start with the bullet seems rather specific compared to the broad rewinding she is currently doing.

What she accidentially did to her father is at the same time a bad example. She were a baby then. She did not even know she were doing it. Its not certain she knows she has done it.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, eventually she'll learn how to control it and then she can fix Mirio. She can't fix her Dad because she rewound him into nothingness and her power requires touching someone to work. Can't bring him back if he doesn't exist.

But yeah this is...a fascinating chapter, and I'm actually pretty hype as hell to get a taste of what 100% Full Cowling looks like.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, like I believe I said once, with Eri's help Mirio will probably recover his powers just in time for a big damn heroes moment down the line.

I just didn't expect it to be this literal. I expected more in the vein of "well, if Eri is with the good guys now, they can probably eventually figure an antidote to the anti-quirk bullets", not "Eri will eventually learn to say lolnope to spacetime".

But yeah, teaching Eri how to actually control her quirk seems like priority #1 once Overhaul is down.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2017-10-20 at 08:35 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

So Eri is some kind of omega mutant? I mean, really, this if OfA level of power if used properly. Probably even ressurecting dead people as long as they are kind of fine?

As it is... Deku gets a chance to cut loose for once... and I got my reason why Eri would be dependent on Chisaki. Thank you, Kouhei.
    Nighteye... I still feel weird about. Like whatparts of the future he can see and which not. Ah, whatever..
    "What's done is done."

30. - Top - End - #1320

Spoiler
    Show
    Deku's really gotta stop relying on people with the ability to let him break his body. Seriously, the boy is well on his way to a retirement before he even gets a full on license.