New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default [3.5] How would one spice up a performance? (Preferably with spells)

Let's say you're a Bard / Sublime Chord, and you were performing for various audiences. From the group gathered near you as you sit near the Water fountain, to actual performances in the town hall, to brilliant displays featured to the King and his audience, to even attractions bringing in or bring brought to extra-planar beings.

A high level perform skill is RAW all you need, but what if you wanted to spice things up with spells? Maybe provide additional musical accompaniment, or exotic visuals to your display.

Bards are probably the most suited for this, maybe Beguilers. But what would you use to add extra oomph to your performances?

Edit: I was thinking mostly of what spells one might cast during a performance, if anything. Though other suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2015-07-29 at 12:16 PM.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) How would one spice up a performance?

Recruit/mentally enslave with the use of the skill called diplomacy a good team of bards and make a group.
    Then get a good wizard and make it use illusions for tons of special effects and cool stuff and also some magic items for retransmitting your performance so that everybody can hear or see well.
    Use moment of prescience for having an insight of what you must perform.
    have an artificier friend and make it create 5 +20 items and use the spell changing the kind of bonuses of the items(totaling a +100(+20 competence from your instrument +20 circumstance from your awesome cloak +20 luck from your hat +20 morale from your shoes +20 alchemical from your classy bracelets(you can choose any kind of bonus with the awesome infusion)))

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

If you can find anyone with Craft(Alchemy), you could use items such as smokesticks behind you for atmosphere, someone triggering thunderstones far away during the climax, etc.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Thing I always wanted to do: Unseen servants as backup dancers. Give them black top hats, white gloves, and canes.
    Thanks to Kurien for drawing my avatar, and NightWolf16a for coloring it.

Spoiler: The master lurker
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Spice up? Perform (Sexual Acts)?
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

I feel like I may not have been clear enough, though I have liked some of the suggestions. I may need to edit the title or op post, though. I'm looking for different kinds of spells that a Bard/Sublime Chord might use to augement an already amazing performance, such as providing additional musical accompanyment or visual displays. Though I'm not adverse to other advice either.

Quote Originally Posted by Renen View Post
    Thing I always wanted to do: Unseen servants as backup dancers. Give them black top hats, white gloves, and canes.
    I need to read the info on Unseen Servants then; wouldn't you just have floating items dancing around? What'd be the advantage to that beyond Silent Images or the like?

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    Spice up? Perform (Sexual Acts)?
    Not at all what I had in mind. Besides, there are at least 3 splatbooks one can turn to for that sort of information, and even in Core you've already got Enchantment and Transmutation Spells for that sort of thing.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    I need to read the info on Unseen Servants then; wouldn't you just have floating items dancing around? What'd be the advantage to that beyond Silent Images or the like?
    You gonna need prolly a servant per item, and have them pretend that each group of items is a single invisible person doing a backup dancing routine
    Thanks to Kurien for drawing my avatar, and NightWolf16a for coloring it.

Spoiler: The master lurker
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Renen View Post
    You gonna need prolly a servant per item, and have them pretend that each group of items is a single invisible person doing a backup dancing routine
    My question was what would be the advantage to having a physical unseen servant dance trope, given that you'd have to cast a number of that spell and spend some of your money decking them out appropriately? I was under the assumption that you could achieve similar results with some of the mid-level illusion spells, even if it is a nifty idea.