New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Cats eating lemongrass (gardening)

I've been trying to grow lemongrass for about two months, but am having trouble with one of my cats chewing on the leaves and stems... Anyone have advice?
    I've been trying to grow it indoors, in a pot, since the winters here are too harsh for it. So I can move it if needed... But it's already struggling from damage, and I'm worried less light(it's on a windowsill currently) might kill it.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cats eating lemongrass (gardening)

Cover them in mustard oil? I'm not sure if it'll be good for the plant but it should stop them from eating it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I can't really be helpful, but I'm curious, does lemongrass have properties like catnip or is it just something your cat finds tasty? Also beware cultivating weird food habits by putting "yucky stuff" on things you don't want your pet chewing, I tried to discourage my dog from chewing on something by smearing hot wasabi on it. She developed a taste for it in less than a week. Previously she'd spit out anything with even a hint of wasabi flavor, such as if we'd been making sushi then forgot to wash our hands before picking up a toy or giving her a doggie treat.

absurd as it is, maybe you could put the plant inside a clear plastic tube/container so it still gets sun but the cat can't get at it? I suspect if it's at all like other cats it'll just knock the whole thong thing onto the floor, because cat.
    Last edited by Winter_Wolf; 2015-08-01 at 07:59 PM. Reason: fix typo
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Get a cheap birdcage to put the lemongrass in, hang it from the top of the window?
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.