New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Default Character help - semi-retired hero

I've got a concept, and I'm curious what others would do with it in 3.5. The goal is a character that is useful but not overpowered in a low-optimization campaign, levels 5 through 10. All books are open but simplicity is a virtue.

The basic idea is a famous war hero who has returned to civilian life only to find out that he is terrible at it (ie, drinks too much, loses all his money), and wants to return to his glory days.

So, I want a warrior type, with a high charisma (he's a "hero"), and low intelligence and/or wisdom. I'd like to make some mechanical use of the charisma. He should be marketable as a hero by the powers that be - basically an Everyman - so no outwardly weird abilities, and even better if his abilities can be explained as luck or bravery or some other marketable virtue.

Paladins don't really work because this guy isn't a zealot or even a man of particular principle, just a guy that fell into heroism.

My only thought is a wilder gish. I'm happy for build advice on that, or suggestions to go another way.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Character help - semi-retired hero

Maybe go Binder, say it was something he picked up during the war but stopped doing when he returned to civilian life, maybe even promised himself he would never do it again. Now something threatens his community and this is the only way he can stand up to it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Swashbuckler with Combat Panache, maybe Improved Feint/Improved Diversion or Fade Into Violence.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A melee-focussed (snowflake wardance) bard would work well for this concept. Always singing songs of his glory days (insert Springsteen song here) to earn the ale he drowns his sorrows in.

Works well in low to mid-op party, since his main job would be to make others better at their jobs-- sing inspire courage, cast haste, then wade into the fray.

Makes the party actually better, then makes them seem better to others by singing songs about (slightly exaggerated versions of) the party's adventures to earn ale for the heroes in the next tavern.

Edit: Plus cha for a bard is excellent at using mechanically in combat. See the X stat to Y bonus thread for uses bard can make of CHA. Sirine's grace for AC boost, SFWD for hit and damage, gauntlets of heartfelt blows for adding Cha as fire damage, etc.
    The main hazard is his d6 hit dice. Pump con and sing Inspire Greatness for bonus hit points (he'll need them; better with horn of resilience for an extra 50 hp).
    Last edited by Hiro Quester; 2015-07-29 at 01:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by smcmike View Post
    I've got a concept, and I'm curious what others would do with it in 3.5. The goal is a character that is useful but not overpowered in a low-optimization campaign, levels 5 through 10. All books are open but simplicity is a virtue.

The basic idea is a famous war hero who has returned to civilian life only to find out that he is terrible at it (ie, drinks too much, loses all his money), and wants to return to his glory days.

So, I want a warrior type, with a high charisma (he's a "hero"), and low intelligence and/or wisdom. I'd like to make some mechanical use of the charisma. He should be marketable as a hero by the powers that be - basically an Everyman - so no outwardly weird abilities, and even better if his abilities can be explained as luck or bravery or some other marketable virtue.

Paladins don't really work because this guy isn't a zealot or even a man of particular principle, just a guy that fell into heroism.

My only thought is a wilder gish. I'm happy for build advice on that, or suggestions to go another way.

Well, One option that I had always thought of as a way to play heroes, Superheroes in particular in 3.5 is as a cleric.
    You play one without a deity, pick your two domains, and then take spontaneous domain casting.
    What that does is gives you the ability to cast one of your domains spontaneously and trades in the spontaneous ability to heal/inflict instead.
    To me this is almost consistent enough for superhero like powers. Especially how they are all keyed off of one theme.

You don't have to make your character a superhero per say, BUT , how about a cleric of courage and glory? Like he idolized guts and glory so much that he actually awakened a magical connection to those concepts. For him, awakening your "inner hero" takes focus, dedication, and a commitment towards the idea until it can actualize itself.

Back in the day, the character was definitely in tune with his "inner hero", and was the type of man that people build statues for. And then he got married after the adventures were over. He was rich from it, and got a nice house, had a couple kids, and really had fun every day...But he wasn't in the spotlight any more.
    So to be true to himself, he has to bring the old armor out of retirement, realize his inner hero again, and go out there and make a mark on the world.

Good inspiration for this guy could be like
    -Tokusatsu (Power rangers for example, but definitely viewtiful joe series, which lampoons the idea)
    -Cape and Mask superhero comic books(the campier the better)
    -Anime with passionate MC's (Gurren Laggan comes to mind with spiral power being similar to the "inner hero")

You could definitely market Cleric powers as something that everyone can do (they can), and as having the discipline of faith. For Courage and glory in particular, it is about having faith in yourself to do what you need to do, and faith that others will recognize your deeds. And also faith in the ideas themselves.
    That strong belief and willpower can make miracles happen, and a hero is someone who turns bad situations into miracles, no?

A buff is just focusing your faith deep inside and pulling out what you need, or when you aren't doing it yourself it can just be your presence pulling out that quality of another.

A divination is just the power of positive thinking and insight showing you the way.

Miracle[the spell], well that is VERY VERY magical, but this kind of magic comes from believing so hard that something just has to make it so.

Two words explain the cleric. Faith and Discipline. Those are also two words that explain a hero.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Bards in general are good for this kind of thing. A few ideas...

If you want more martial ability, maybe go into Swordsage and head towards Jade Phoenix Mage.

If you want more overall usefulness at the cost of martial ability, you can head into War Weaver so that you can buff the whole party at once.

A dip into Battle Dancer before heading into a Gish class (such as Enlightened Fist, Eldritch Knight, Abjurant Champion, or what have you).

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

My suggestion would include some Marshal since its auras are based on Charisma. Then add some Luck feats.

Mix in the Binder and Swashbuckler ideas to taste.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

You know, paladin is a valid option. Pay no attention to my screen name.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Maybe go Binder, say it was something he picked up during the war but stopped doing when he returned to civilian life, maybe even promised himself he would never do it again. Now something threatens his community and this is the only way he can stand up to it.
    At first I was sitting here going "Booo. Binders taking over the retired hero." then I read the rest and ended up thinking "Huh, that could be pretty cool." Good job Biffoniacus.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!