New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: 5e Duskblade PEACH

Alrighty playgrounders, yet another run through the saw mill for this project and drastic enough changes were made that I can now confidently that this project has now udated to be Duskblade 2.0. (also updated in OP) So here's a brief, most likely incomplete, list of changes:
    • Expanded spell lists added to each archetype.
    • Hexblade Curse wording description cleaned up and reformatted for a more concise read. Now uses a 'Hex Die' instead of Adv/DisAdv.
    • Reorganization of the Hexblade 'Reavers Talent' to include modularity for expanded spell list.
    • Removed some of the Arcane Archers tricks and tweaked a few others to accommodate expanded spell list and allow for greater control.
    • Spell list removals made. Some removed completely, others moved to archetype specific spell lists.

I still feel like a laundry list of things can be improved upon/discussed:
    • Spells in expanded spell list are not set in stone.
    • Wording of 'Reavers Talent' in the hexblade. The potential Bane + HB curse combo does raise concerns, I fear my wording may not have been enough to dissuade the possibility. The intent is that it is NOT to be possible at all.
    • Should I increase the number of spells known by 1 (would make it 1 above the ranger)? Or just allow one free spell known from the Expanded Spell list?
    • Should I force arcane channeling to require the channeled spell remain within the spells range and type (melee/range) instead of its current setting as the weapons range? I don't want to do that, but it might help provide identity to the AA. (which seems to be seen as the most potent)
    • Name change for Hexblade's 15th level "Fortunate Misfortune" to "Ill Gotten Gains".
    • Change the name of the Arcane Archer's points into sorcery points, but still mechanically can only make more points by expending slots. This would allow for less confusing char sheets and would fall in line with the Cleric and Paladins channel divinity leveling together.
    • Fluffy Fluff descriptions could be way better. Like not maybe written by an engineering operator who has the lowest literature schooling to be managed for their needs.
    • Spell list is still being tweaked as well, totally open for more recommendations for addition/removal.

Is this at least getting close(r) to being DM's Guild material or better?
    Last edited by Gr7mm Bobb; 2016-09-24 at 10:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

First I wanted to thank you for making this class. I played this the other day in a one shot. The duskblade was my favorite class in 3.5 as was the magus in pathfinder so I'm very pleased someone is making a 5e port.

I was level 6 and played the magus archetype using rapier and shield. I liked it quite a bit over all but I had a few comments.

Arcane strike felt really good, being able to get advantage on an attack with some extra damage for a spell really helped in combat. It also let me focus on defensive and utility spells which made the class feel very flexible in what it can do.

Maybe I'm missing something but arcane channeling felt of kind weak, I more often than not did more damage making two attacks than I did channeling a spell/cantrip.

I also feel the same way that you do about the magus, it just kinda does what the base class does better. While there is nothing inherently wrong with that perhaps it can be given something a bit more unique earlier than 11? The big draw to the archetype as it stands is spell combat (which doesn't come till 11) and the fighting style (which is awesome but nothing new).

Keep up the great work and I definitely think this is DM's guild material!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroKnight View Post
    First I wanted to thank you for making this class. I played this the other day in a one shot. The duskblade was my favorite class in 3.5 as was the magus in pathfinder so I'm very pleased someone is making a 5e port.
    Glad to hear it.

Maybe I'm missing something but arcane channeling felt of kind weak, I more often than not did more damage making two attacks than I did channeling a spell/cantrip.
    Ok, I think I see where you are coming from with this. You are correct in noticing that channeling isn't going to be optimal at all times. It is there to allow for the option to deliver your attacks in an area your opponent isn't defending in. It's there to allow for versatility to your cantrips and spells so you can do things with them that no other cast can.

I also feel the same way that you do about the magus, it just kinda does what the base class does better. While there is nothing inherently wrong with that perhaps it can be given something a bit more unique earlier than 11? The big draw to the archetype as it stands is spell combat (which doesn't come till 11) and the fighting style (which is awesome but nothing new).
    The magus was designed to become more wizard-like as they progress. They are the only 1/2 caster (archetype or otherwise) that is able to recover spell slots. It gains that ability at level 3 and with more instantaneous results as the capstone. At 3rd level the magus gains more spells to add to its repitoire and at 7th level they gain even more spellcasting potency with the ability to have and use a ritual book using the wizards spell list. A lot of the Magus's raw power comes from its ability to use magic on a much more liberal basis.

I do think that the beginning stages of the magus may feel a little bland at first, but it falls in line with the Lore Bard gaining an expansion on its already impressive skill range and a wider range of uses for it existing Inspiration.

Keep up the great work and I definitely think this is DM's guild material!
    Once this class is finished I'll see about putting it up there for a "pay what you want".

Thank you for the feedback and the playtest info. I hope I was at least helpful with your inquiries.
    Last edited by Gr7mm Bobb; 2016-09-25 at 07:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gr7mm Bobb View Post
    Ok, I think I see where you are coming from with this. You are correct in noticing that channeling isn't going to be optimal at all times. It is there to allow for the option to deliver your attacks in an area your opponent isn't defending in. It's there to allow for versatility to your cantrips and spells so you can do things with them that no other cast can.
    Can you explain how this works? How is it letting you do things other casters can't? The way I read it it's only letting you use your STR/DEX in place of your INT as the Spell Attack Roll (and then there's the debatable, unclear part of whether you add your STR/DEX Modifier to the damage as you would with a Weapon, I'm gonna assume you don't for now), it's still targetting AC. So you could for example, use a Warhammer to deliver a Ranged Spell Attack Roll, adding STR+Proficiency to the die roll.
    Since it only affects spells that already have Attack Rolls, it's not like you can target AC instead of Wisdom for a Hold Person spell or anything... Granted, there's one other thing I see in the high-risk/high-reward mechanic of being able to use a single Attack Roll to hit with all 3 beams of Scorching Ray.

Also the way you have it currently worded, it completely ignores any sort of modifiers (Advantage/Disadvantage, Bane/Bless, Archery FS, etc), even if they're completely external to the spell being Channeled. I guess this could be a feature instead of a bug, as most spells use Ranged Spell Attack Rolls which would mean disadvantage if using a (non-reach) melee weapon to Channel them... And it gives you a reliable way to cast a spell regardless of the circumstances. This of course at the cost of whether the circumstances are good or bad. So not sure if this is intended or not...

The magus was designed to become more wizard-like as they progress. They are the only 1/2 caster (archetype or otherwise) that is able to recover spell slots. It gains that ability at level 3 and with more instantaneous results as the capstone. At 3rd level the magus gains more spells to add to its repitoire and at 7th level they gain even more spellcasting potency with the ability to have and use a ritual book using the wizards spell list. A lot of the Magus's raw power comes from its ability to use magic on a much more liberal basis.
    About Arcane Dabbling at 3rd level... This is dangerous... Hypothetically it allows a full caster (say Cleric) to take 17 levels in their class and then Multiclass into Magus to steal any two 9th level Wizard/Sorcerer spells.
    Also the way you have it worded right now reads as though you can choose either: (two 1st level spells) or (a cantrip).

I would suggest swapping it with the Heavy Armor (and STR saves if you want). It feels awkward wanting to build a STR-based Duskblade and having to wait until 7th level to get your armor... All sub-classes that grant additional proficiencies do so when you take the sub-class. It's almost on a level with a Lore Bard's Additional Magical Secrets. There's actually a nice parallelism in the one-level difference with the Valor Bard's Extra Attack.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Azrael View Post
    Can you explain how this works? How is it letting you do things other casters can't? The way I read it it's only letting you use your STR/DEX in place of your INT as the Spell Attack Roll (and then there's the debatable, unclear part of whether you add your STR/DEX Modifier to the damage as you would with a Weapon, I'm gonna assume you don't for now), it's still targetting AC. So you could for example, use a Warhammer to deliver a Ranged Spell Attack Roll, adding STR+Proficiency to the die roll.
    Since it only affects spells that already have Attack Rolls, it's not like you can target AC instead of Wisdom for a Hold Person spell or anything... Granted, there's one other thing I see in the high-risk/high-reward mechanic of being able to use a single Attack Roll to hit with all 3 beams of Scorching Ray.
    Thought i had it clear, maybe I should look into rewording it(i know i've had to with other things in this). When you channel a spell into a weapon attack, the weapon damage dice are replaced with the spells damage (if any). Because it is still a weapon attack roll, you get to add your str/dex as appropriate. I just ninja'd in some clarification on that because you brought up a great point. Hoping that helps.

Also the way you have it currently worded, it completely ignores any sort of modifiers (Advantage/Disadvantage, Bane/Bless, Archery FS, etc), even if they're completely external to the spell being Channeled. I guess this could be a feature instead of a bug, as most spells use Ranged Spell Attack Rolls which would mean disadvantage if using a (non-reach) melee weapon to Channel them... And it gives you a reliable way to cast a spell regardless of the circumstances. This of course at the cost of whether the circumstances are good or bad. So not sure if this is intended or not...
    That was an oops. As it stands I'm still mulling it out in my head how to word it so outside attacks modifiers are ok, but the ones from the spell are not. My main concern was the archer just obliterating armored foes with shocking grasp at 600 feet and using the adv bit of shocking grasp.

My other idea is to increase the number of cantrips gained overall, but limiting the channeling to require you to be in the melee or range as the spell would require.

As is (by intent, maybe not by good writing), channeling a firebolt into a sword does not pose disadv if you are threatened because you would be making a melee weapon attack.

About Arcane Dabbling at 3rd level... This is dangerous... Hypothetically it allows a full caster (say Cleric) to take 17 levels in their class and then Multiclass into Magus to steal any two 9th level Wizard/Sorcerer spells.
    Also the way you have it worded right now reads as though you can choose either: (two 1st level spells) or (a cantrip).
    Hoo-boy, that couldn't have been a RAW nightmare (kinda like some of the pre-errata 5e PHB). Anyway, did another ninja edit to try and fix that problem.

I would suggest swapping it with the Heavy Armor (and STR saves if you want). It feels awkward wanting to build a STR-based Duskblade and having to wait until 7th level to get your armor... All sub-classes that grant additional proficiencies do so when you take the sub-class. It's almost on a level with a Lore Bard's Additional Magical Secrets. There's actually a nice parallelism in the one-level difference with the Valor Bard's Extra Attack.
    Hmm, you do bring up a point, and you aren't the first. Dropping the Str save prof probably wouldn't be too much of a nerf. Them gaining spell recall, heavy armor, AND a fighting style might be a little front loaded though. The Arcane dabbling being moved to 7th is not bad though, requires commitment.

As always, thank you for the much needed criticism.

While i have it on my mind, should i give the Hexblade fighting styles?
    Last edited by Gr7mm Bobb; 2016-09-29 at 10:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thought i had it clear, maybe I should look into rewording it(i know i've had to with other things in this). When you channel a spell into a weapon attack, the weapon damage dice are replaced with the spells damage (if any). Because it is still a weapon attack roll, you get to add your str/dex as appropriate. I just ninja'd in some clarification on that because you brought up a great point. Hoping that helps.
    Gotcha. I feel it is a bit unclear, it's a complicated feature after all.... Here's my rewording idea:

Spoiler: Arcane Channeling
    Show
    At 6th level, whenever you cast a spell requiring a Spell Attack, you can use a Weapon Attack instead. As normal, this attack uses your Strength / Dexterity as appropriate, but the weapon's damage dice are replaced by the spell's damage dice. You still add your Strength / Dexterity modifier to the damage dealt. All additional spell effects are applied normally. You cannot Channel a spell of 6th level or greater. Spells that require a melee spell attack roll can only be delivered with a melee weapon.
    If a spell allows for multiple spell attack rolls when it's cast, the spell is delivered through a single weapon attack roll and the damage dice are pooled together. For example, if you Channel the 2nd level spell Scorching Ray using a Longsword, you can make a weapon attack using Strength, and on a hit the target takes fire damage equal to 6d6 + your Strength modifier.
    If a spell allows for multiple attack rolls throughout it's duration, you deliver all of these through your weapon and must maintain Concentration as normal if the spell requires it. For example, if you Channel the 3rd level spell Vampiric Touch using a Longsword, you can make a weapon attack using Strength, on a hit, the target takes necrotic damage equal to 3d6 + your Strength modifier and you heal for half the amount of necrotic damage dealt. As per the spell, as long as you maintain Concentration you can use an action to repeat this attack, making a weapon attack with your Longsword each time.

That was an oops. As it stands I'm still mulling it out in my head how to word it so outside attacks modifiers are ok, but the ones from the spell are not. My main concern was the archer just obliterating armored foes with shocking grasp at 600 feet and using the adv bit of shocking grasp.
    That's the risk of an ability like this... there are so many variables when it comes to spell effects so trying to homogenize them is quite difficult. I can't think off the top of my head of other spells like this, and if Shocking Grasp is the problematic outlier here, the easiest solution is simply to remove it imo.

As always, thank you for the much needed criticism.
    No problem, I like where you're going with this class :)

While i have it on my mind, should i give the Hexblade fighting styles?
    I agree the Hexblade is lacking in entry features when compared to the Magus and the Archer. Especially since the one feature they get can only be used once / rest (is it Short or Long? you don't specify). However I'm not sure giving them Fighting Styles is the solution, as then each archetype would get them and so it makes more sense for them to become a class feature instead... I couldn't think of a different thing to give them so I googled the 3.5 Hexblade and saw they get a Familiar.... Perhaps giving them Find Familiar as a Ritual?
    If you want to go the FS route, a way to differentiate them could be to give them only the offensive FS's (so Dueling, GWF, TWF, Archery, QCS). This way the Hexblade has all the offensive ones and the other two have only a subset of the offensive ones, but also the choice of the defensive ones (I get an offensive vibe from this archetype which is why I suggest this).

As an aside, I would suggest reconsidering including UA FS's, specifically Tunnel Fighter. I have a player who built around this and due to party makeup and us playing OotA, he makes it really hard for me to play encounters without blatantly meta-countering this lol

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Gotcha. I feel it is a bit unclear, it's a complicated feature after all.... Here's my rewording idea:

Spoiler: Arcane Channeling
    Show
    At 6th level, whenever you cast a spell requiring a Spell Attack, you can use a Weapon Attack instead. As normal, this attack uses your Strength / Dexterity as appropriate, but the weapon's damage dice are replaced by the spell's damage dice. You still add your Strength / Dexterity modifier to the damage dealt. All additional spell effects are applied normally. You cannot Channel a spell of 6th level or greater. Spells that require a melee spell attack roll can only be delivered with a melee weapon.
    If a spell allows for multiple spell attack rolls when it's cast, the spell is delivered through a single weapon attack roll and the damage dice are pooled together. For example, if you Channel the 2nd level spell Scorching Ray using a Longsword, you can make a weapon attack using Strength, and on a hit the target takes fire damage equal to 6d6 + your Strength modifier.
    If a spell allows for multiple attack rolls throughout it's duration, you deliver all of these through your weapon and must maintain Concentration as normal if the spell requires it. For example, if you Channel the 3rd level spell Vampiric Touch using a Longsword, you can make a weapon attack using Strength, on a hit, the target takes necrotic damage equal to 3d6 + your Strength modifier and you heal for half the amount of necrotic damage dealt. As per the spell, as long as you maintain Concentration you can use an action to repeat this attack, making a weapon attack with your Longsword each time.
    Thank you, I'm not going to do a full copy + paste of this, but it still has useful parts. Saying "throughout the duration" and then mentioning that you still need to maintain concentration is redundant because those spells have a duration of "concentration, up to X time limit" is a little redundant. The example is useful though and I get the feeling that when I put this into a polished pdf look I'll have a sidebar to help clarify.

That's the risk of an ability like this... there are so many variables when it comes to spell effects so trying to homogenize them is quite difficult. I can't think off the top of my head of other spells like this, and if Shocking Grasp is the problematic outlier here, the easiest solution is simply to remove it imo.
    Limited the Melee spells to melee range, hasn't been out of hand. That and apparently I already had a ranged electric spell attack cantrip in my list (probably from my group). The way I see it is that my whole list of brewed spells is up for a case by case review. Most of it is tame, but others have been problematic. My biggest concern that shapes the design of this class is the material that WotC has published, not just endorsed, but fully published.

I agree the Hexblade is lacking in entry features when compared to the Magus and the Archer. Especially since the one feature they get can only be used once / rest (is it Short or Long? you don't specify). However I'm not sure giving them Fighting Styles is the solution, as then each archetype would get them and so it makes more sense for them to become a class feature instead... I couldn't think of a different thing to give them so I googled the 3.5 Hexblade and saw they get a Familiar.... Perhaps giving them Find Familiar as a Ritual?
    If you want to go the FS route, a way to differentiate them could be to give them only the offensive FS's (so Dueling, GWF, TWF, Archery, QCS). This way the Hexblade has all the offensive ones and the other two have only a subset of the offensive ones, but also the choice of the defensive ones (I get an offensive vibe from this archetype which is why I suggest this).
    The hexblade doesn't necessarily need a fighting style, but it definitely could use a little bolster to feel more gratifying. So i added a 3rd level feature that gives the player their choice of Intimidation or Deception (with the possibility to expertise). And a mechanic that might need clearing up. Its intent is to make identifying spells to cast and abilities used harder to nail down.

As an aside, I would suggest reconsidering including UA FS's, specifically Tunnel Fighter. I have a player who built around this and due to party makeup and us playing OotA, he makes it really hard for me to play encounters without blatantly meta-countering this lol
    Yeah, they need another looksee, I like the point blank shooting one though, It is often trumped by grabbing the feats anyway, but in a featless game it is the only way to ignore the DisAdv for gut shooting people. However I seen that plenty of playgrounders HATE that bullet with a burning passion. I will say those are probably going in a sidebar as additional options to discuss with your DM.

Anyway changes made, we are now in 2.1.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Tweaks to Arcane Archer's trick cost to compensate for lower total arcane pool.

Also like to take the time and pose a question. Should Extra Attack be removed from the Base Class and added to select archetypes? If so which ones? Personally thinking it should be taken out of AA, but not sure how to replace such a solid ability. Most likely I'm considering nothing useful in that regard.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Another list of changes for the class. Also considering a defender oriented archetype, something for being a magical damage control. Pretty certain that 4e had something like that for is Swordmage class, maybe looking their for things that people liked is a good plan. Issue is that WotC puts more value in features that keep PC's alive longer. IE tinkering with AC, Temp HP, damage absorption, resistance, etc. Resistance is the one thing they seem to hand out like hotcakes, but I digress. Here's is a list of changes I've made. As usual feedback/comments are appreciated:
    • Limited Arcane Strike(AS) to melee, bonus damage holds for 1 minute or until next hit.
    • Modified Arcane Channel to still prevent wombo combo’s.
    • Removed Extra Attack from the base class.
    • Hexblade has a minor Slow effect with auto attacks.
    • Hexblade able to channel Hexblade Curse into Aura, has reduced time and penalty die size.
    • Extra Attack now part of the Magus Archetype.
    • Arcane archer now only one who can Arcane Strike @ range.
    • Moved Elemental Arrow to be AA’s 5th level feature to replace Extra Attack, modifies AS and ImprAS.
    • Added “Precise Critical” trick to the arcane archer.
    • Removed tunnel fighter from Magus archetype (created feat Patient Tide Style to have similar but limited effects).

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey, this class is still a thing? Awesome!

Honestly, I agree with removing Extra Attack. This way, their best combat option is Channeling, as it should be. I have a possible alternative to Deadshot's Intuition, for something more powerful but less flexible. The thought is, it gives free proficiency in one of a list of skills (lists could include: Insight, Investigation and Perception; Acrobatics, Athletics, and Stealth; Medicine, Nature, and Survival; and similar things), and when the character attempts a check with one of those they can use a bonus action (or something) to spend 1 Arcane point and get Expertise in that skill for a minute.

How does that sound?

Also, I like the idea of a "defender" subclass. I'd also like to see a subclass focused on spamming teleports in between attacks.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Your suggestion for deadshot seems OP and not in the same breath. Yes the AA would access to more skills on demand, but they would also blow through points fighting anything with a stealth bonus. I wanted to offer an option that was in line with the power of the Mind Vault discipline to give them a limited window to do rogue/ranger things. I was hoping the Extra attack thing would work out. I've trying to get more creative with design to avoid my final answer always becoming MOAR damage. As it is, arcanists provide the most on demand versatile problem solving, blasting, and control. So with that in mind I check off blasting from the check list and looked again at what the class would want. It's and arcane paladin/ranger. So it should behave like a pally does when compared to the cleric and what the ranger does when compared to the druid. In turn I want the Duskblade to behave as compared to the Wizard, Warlock, and Sorcerer.

Extra attack was neat, but as previous UA articles have shown, but not entirely necessary. The magus kept it because it fit, the Hexblade instead got something to take away someone else's EA (because he's a party pooper). And the AA was handed the ability to swap between elemental damages with rider abilities. Giving them the choice of getting damage through (force damage) or trying to contribute to the fight in new ways. The Class is to be a chassis for a concept to me, and the archetypes are an extension of a broad vision. Magus = Mage Knight, Hexblade = Debuff Monster, Arcane Archer = Magic Bag bow wielder. Each has a niche that they fit in, my goal is to make this an interesting class to play, when also not making every other class invalid.

Did you ever take a look at the Path of Celerity I brewed for the Monk? It was built off of the scraps from the old Swiftblade archetype that i had in this, that I had hijacked from another playgrounders Magus class. Forgive me please, I don't remember who though, its been years.

Trying to thing of a archetype name for the defensive oriented one (and mechanics that don't poop all over the paladin and his defensive stuff). And the name of a speedy, maybe later teleporting, archetype could easily be the Swiftblade or the Elocator. Maybe jive a bit with the UA mystic mechanics, but friggen psionic weapon + Arcane Strike would get stupid out of hand. Probably just do neat Psi-Magic archetype features and see where that goes.

EDIT: Just looked at the newest UA ranger archetype (horizon walker), its 11th level feature is 10ft teleport with each attack from the Attack Action...
    Last edited by Gr7mm Bobb; 2017-01-31 at 04:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Your suggestion for deadshot seems OP and not in the same breath. Yes the AA would access to more skills on demand, but they would also blow through points fighting anything with a stealth bonus. I wanted to offer an option that was in line with the power of the Mind Vault discipline to give them a limited window to do rogue/ranger things. I was hoping the Extra attack thing would work out. I've trying to get more creative with design to avoid my final answer always becoming MOAR damage. As it is, arcanists provide the most on demand versatile problem solving, blasting, and control. So with that in mind I check off blasting from the check list and looked again at what the class would want. It's and arcane paladin/ranger. So it should behave like a pally does when compared to the cleric and what the ranger does when compared to the druid. In turn I want the Duskblade to behave as compared to the Wizard, Warlock, and Sorcerer.
    To be fair, my idea was intended to be less versatile but more powerful than what you had. An Evoker compared to a Universalist, or something. Though I suppose I should have clarified that you can only spend the point for a skill you already have proficiency in...

Extra attack was neat, but as previous UA articles have shown, but not entirely necessary. The magus kept it because it fit, the Hexblade instead got something to take away someone else's EA (because he's a party pooper). And the AA was handed the ability to swap between elemental damages with rider abilities. Giving them the choice of getting damage through (force damage) or trying to contribute to the fight in new ways. The Class is to be a chassis for a concept to me, and the archetypes are an extension of a broad vision. Magus = Mage Knight, Hexblade = Debuff Monster, Arcane Archer = Magic Bag bow wielder. Each has a niche that they fit in, my goal is to make this an interesting class to play, when also not making every other class invalid.
    I completely agree.

Did you ever take a look at the Path of Celerity I brewed for the Monk? It was built off of the scraps from the old Swiftblade archetype that i had in this, that I had hijacked from another playgrounders Magus class. Forgive me please, I don't remember who though, its been years.
    I saw that, it was quite interesting. Not sure which other class you're thinking of, maybe heavyfuel's Duskblade?

Trying to thing of a archetype name for the defensive oriented one (and mechanics that don't poop all over the paladin and his defensive stuff). And the name of a speedy, maybe later teleporting, archetype could easily be the Swiftblade or the Elocator. Maybe jive a bit with the UA mystic mechanics, but friggen psionic weapon + Arcane Strike would get stupid out of hand. Probably just do neat Psi-Magic archetype features and see where that goes.
    Possible names: Vanguard, Armiger, Spellguard...

EDIT: Just looked at the newest UA ranger archetype (horizon walker), its 11th level feature is 10ft teleport with each attack from the Attack Action...
    Yeah, I don't think WotC knew where they were going with that subclass.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Ok more changes:
    • Specified how bonded weapon functions, made it work like the Eldritch Knight (it feels weird though). I may remove the bonus action retrieval business though, it renders the Blood Blade cantrip moot in a way I don't like. Also may just be overloading the classes base platform.
    • Arcane Strike changed, bonus damage lasts for 1 min/until discharged.
    • Hexblade now can auto-bestow Hexblade curse with weapon critical.
    • Added “Sword and Sorcery” to fighting styles of the magus (from Miburo’s Spellsword).

Also looked through the comments again, Sicarius, you were definitely the one who put the bee in my bonnet about a "Vangaurd" archetype, and the new ranger UA gave me some nice stuff to work with for a Swiftblade concept. And I definitely thing Heavyfuel was a huge inspiration for me in the design of this class.
    Last edited by Gr7mm Bobb; 2017-02-10 at 10:10 AM.