New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default What are some strategies for changing the names of established deities?

When I originally started this campaign, I was using a pretty generic setting and used the gods from the Grayhawk setting. Since then, I've developed the setting much more; expanded greatly on both my pantheon and my creation myth. I would like to take this time to change the names of the Grayhawk deities, and put my own spin on their stories.

My players are familiar with the old names most, and I don't want to just pull the rug out from under their feet. What would be the least messy way to do this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: What are some strategies for changing the names of established deities?

There are various random name generators available. The best way to introduce the new mythology to your players would be to type up a brief summary and perhaps have a short question and answer session before beginning the next game session. You should also be open to retconing player actions in future sessions if they are based on a flawed understanding of the new mythology.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What are some strategies for changing the names of established deities?

Talk to your players about the retcon. It's not like they're not going to notice, after all - and if they wouldn't notice, then call attention to your work so the lazy buggers do notice.

If you'd like, do a revolution in the Outer Planes where the new gods overthrow the old gods with an accompanying turnover in the mortal realms with missionaries and conversions. That might be particularly handy if the players are resistant to the change and really want to keep their old deities.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If you'd like, do a revolution in the Outer Planes where the new gods overthrow the old gods with an accompanying turnover in the mortal realms with missionaries and conversions. That might be particularly handy if the players are resistant to the change and really want to keep their old deities.
    That is a very cool idea. A deific civil war would be a great setting for a game.
    Last edited by MrZJunior; 2015-08-03 at 07:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Maybe a high level group of adventurers have ascended to godhood and are taking over the roles of the previous gods? So while their roles may stay the same, they personalize it a bit with new names and titles, symbols, rituals etc.