New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default High Optimization Wizard Tricks?

I plan on making a High-Optimized Wizard 20 Mythic Archmage 5 as the BBEG for a campaign I'm writing, and I need some tips on how to make him terrifyingly effective at destroying threats to his usurped throne. Adding Cleric-Casting, Akashic Magic, or Psionics is perfectly fine to the character, and would be fitting, but it must have 20 level wizard casting.

Either way- 3.5 material if there is no Pathfinder equivalent, is available, but keep in mind, the stuff I use I also permit my players to use- And I'd prefer to keep the easy-to-abuse stuff out of their hands.

To simplify it: What are some high-Op wizard tricks and spells that one should keep in mind, and spells a high-OP wizard should always have in his spellbook?

Edit: Reason it wouldn't be a hopeless fight:
    1) The party is immune to divination effects- They technically don't actually exist in the world, though they really do.
    2) The main character's will gain a power that makes it so that the party leader can literally bitch slap summoned creatures out of existence.
    3) The Wizard is in this world alone, with nobody of anywhere near the same caliber. He's literally the only level 20 wizard in the world. Heck, he might be the only creature with levels in Tier 2-1 class levels besides the party leader.
    4) The party doesn't trigger contingencies, due to aforementioned technically not existing. In addition, at the start of the battle, his permanency buffs and contingencies will be literally kicked off of his skull. As it is- The Wizard will have little in terms of Prep, except for his trained guards, and will have ten rounds to prepare himself for battle.
    Last edited by The Vagabond; 2015-08-05 at 08:52 PM.

GNU Terry Pratchett

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: High Optimization Wizard Tricks?

I'm not an expert on the specific tricks, but note that this will not be a bbeg that the players can beat. You're getting into epic spellcasting, on top of invulnerability to everything and spontaneous access to every spell in existence.

Oh, and to answer your question about the spellbook: all of them. You're level 25. Why shouldn't you have everything?
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Keledrath > Mythic Archmage is not epic it is Mythic. It is slightly different as it is not HD but a bunch of extra (utterly-broken) abilities.

To give you an idea of how powerful Mythic is, have a look at the srd and enjoy having a wizard which can can at least 12 times a day pop up any spell from the Wizard spell list even if not in his books... This is just his basic Mythic power...

After that you get the ability to break the action economy even further than before with you Mythic path abilities.

>The Vagabond
    Honestly, unless your players are munchkins of the higher degree, they won't even get past the first mild discomfort they cause your wizard. Being a level 20 wizard is already being closer to god than it is healthy for any opponent, adding Mythic tier will make it really hard on your player.

To now answer your questions.

spells a high-OP wizard should always have in his spellbook?
    > You don't care. Being a mythic spellcaster, you can as a standard action cast any spell for a measly 1 mythic point.

high-Op wizard tricks
    > Go First: Be a diviner + Improved initiative + Familiar (scorpion or compsognathus) You will always act first in the surprise round (remember you don't roll anymore just assume 20) So unless someone roll a 20 and have more than 40 init, you go first. I would add that this crazy "I go first card" mixed with a few spell like a handy time stop should solve any of your issue.

> Alignment is for sissies: Pick beyond moral as a Mythic ability so you are no longer affected by any alignment specific effects which is always handy.

> Familiar : I would pick a Valet compsognathus because he has hands and will help you craft faster than you can imagine. It is not the good ol' dedicated wright but it is still damn good.

> Get to be a mythic crafter: No I don't mean crafting those stupid mythic items but get the mythic ability that say that you are considered as having ALL the creation feats and say hello to your army of golems and craft all the item that you will ever need (remember that your valet familiar help you to craft faster).

> Get a cohort: A good old cleric would make a lovely cohort to get all those spells that are Cleric only.

> Opposite school begone! Pick the Mythic ability that allow you to no longer have opposite school and enjoy cherry picking any school without a problem.

> Get a mythic contingency and enjoy having so many contingencies plans that it is literally impossible to kill you.

> Get those wishes at bargain price! : Blood Money + Magic Jar (the beefiest monster you can find) + Wishes Should get you all the +5 you need at the bargain price of... nothing. Bonus: Kill the critter and turn it into a bad ass bloody skeleton afterward just because you are "beyond moral" it is no longer a bad thing.

> Simulacrum to oblivion : Use your insane money/connections to get to know any and every exotic monster that roams the world(s)/planes and make simulacrum of them. With your caster level being as high as it is, you should pretty much make yourself an army of mini-Tarrasque to use as dogs on your hunting trips into the abyss for those days when you are bored...

> Lear to scry/divine or get that lazy cleric to do it for youl: get him to cast those pesky divining spells that will let you know if someone is gunning for you... For good measure do it every morning... and afternoon... or more like when you feel like it... You have enough spell slots for it

> Make yourself a fortress: You have to keep those mini Tarrasque from eating all your slav-I mean your subjects! Build yourself a divination/Teleport proof palace so you can bath and play without your enemies trying to scry you.

> Get insanely hard to dispell permanency spells: Use your simulacrum to create a coven with a hag and several hundreds of diminutive witches (Hex:coven). By using help another, they will be able to cast some of those fun permanency-ed spells on you with such a high CL that no one will be able to dispel them.

Those are simple general guide lines that should open your eyes on how broken a lvl 20 wizard is and how Mythic make it even worst. I honestly don't think any one can go against such a monster even more if he is at the head of an empire and as such have access to limitless resources.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Harmelyo View Post
    Keledrath > Mythic Archmage is not epic it is Mythic. It is slightly different as it is not HD but a bunch of extra (utterly-broken) abilities.

To give you an idea of how powerful Mythic is, have a look at the srd and enjoy having a wizard which can can at least 12 times a day pop up any spell from the Wizard spell list even if not in his books... This is just his basic Mythic power...

After that you get the ability to break the action economy even further than before with you Mythic path abilities.

>The Vagabond
    Honestly, unless your players are munchkins of the higher degree, they won't even get past the first mild discomfort they cause your wizard. Being a level 20 wizard is already being closer to god than it is healthy for any opponent, adding Mythic tier will make it really hard on your player.

To now answer your questions.

spells a high-OP wizard should always have in his spellbook?
    > You don't care. Being a mythic spellcaster, you can as a standard action cast any spell for a measly 1 mythic point.

high-Op wizard tricks
    > Go First: Be a diviner + Improved initiative + Familiar (scorpion or compsognathus) You will always act first in the surprise round (remember you don't roll anymore just assume 20) So unless someone roll a 20 and have more than 40 init, you go first. I would add that this crazy "I go first card" mixed with a few spell like a handy time stop should solve any of your issue.

> Alignment is for sissies: Pick beyond moral as a Mythic ability so you are no longer affected by any alignment specific effects which is always handy.

> Familiar : I would pick a Valet compsognathus because he has hands and will help you craft faster than you can imagine. It is not the good ol' dedicated wright but it is still damn good.

> Get to be a mythic crafter: No I don't mean crafting those stupid mythic items but get the mythic ability that say that you are considered as having ALL the creation feats and say hello to your army of golems and craft all the item that you will ever need (remember that your valet familiar help you to craft faster).

> Get a cohort: A good old cleric would make a lovely cohort to get all those spells that are Cleric only.

> Opposite school begone! Pick the Mythic ability that allow you to no longer have opposite school and enjoy cherry picking any school without a problem.

> Get a mythic contingency and enjoy having so many contingencies plans that it is literally impossible to kill you.

> Get those wishes at bargain price! : Blood Money + Magic Jar (the beefiest monster you can find) + Wishes Should get you all the +5 you need at the bargain price of... nothing. Bonus: Kill the critter and turn it into a bad ass bloody skeleton afterward just because you are "beyond moral" it is no longer a bad thing.

> Simulacrum to oblivion : Use your insane money/connections to get to know any and every exotic monster that roams the world(s)/planes and make simulacrum of them. With your caster level being as high as it is, you should pretty much make yourself an army of mini-Tarrasque to use as dogs on your hunting trips into the abyss for those days when you are bored...

> Lear to scry/divine or get that lazy cleric to do it for youl: get him to cast those pesky divining spells that will let you know if someone is gunning for you... For good measure do it every morning... and afternoon... or more like when you feel like it... You have enough spell slots for it

> Make yourself a fortress: You have to keep those mini Tarrasque from eating all your slav-I mean your subjects! Build yourself a divination/Teleport proof palace so you can bath and play without your enemies trying to scry you.

> Get insanely hard to dispell permanency spells: Use your simulacrum to create a coven with a hag and several hundreds of diminutive witches (Hex:coven). By using help another, they will be able to cast some of those fun permanency-ed spells on you with such a high CL that no one will be able to dispel them.

Those are simple general guide lines that should open your eyes on how broken a lvl 20 wizard is and how Mythic make it even worst. I honestly don't think any one can go against such a monster even more if he is at the head of an empire and as such have access to limitless resources.
    And this is why you should never play up to level 20 and even less have the BBEG be a Wizard.

Seriously, a 20th level Wizard is a challenge insane enough for your players, unless the can min-max decently, and one (or more) are Tier 1 characters, they don't stand a chance. The described above serves as a perfect example reference as why they will never win. In fact, even if somehow they could kill the wizard, some crazy contingency or one of his high level conections will bring him back in no time, more pissed than ever and with a score to settle.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

A 20th level wizard's 'combat tactic' is "send hordes of planar-bound demons to gank my would-be enemies in their sleep before they're on the same continent as me."
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).