New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Self Advertising

If I want to start a thread advertising my Youtube Channel, is that against forum rules? And, if it isn't, would Media Discussions be the place to put it in?

Thank you in advance for the answer, and thank you to all the mods for helping keep GitP the great place it is.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Self Advertising

No, the mods have previously stated that anything not-for-profit (assuming your YouTube channel is; some aren't) is okay. If it ever became for-profit, you wouldn't be able to advertise on the forums; you'd have to use Project Wonderful.

I would assume that media would be the place, although Banter might be. If your channel tends to discuss 3.5, put it in 3.5, and the same holds for anything else which has a forum for it. If it's about roleplaying games, put it in the main roleplaying games section.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also remember that you don't own the thread. Threads will live or die by the whims of the playground. Just because you are the creator of the thing the thread is about does not give you license to bump, double post, or be rude.

On the other hand, if your channel is likely to go into the forbidden zone or politics, religion, or what-have-you, it isn't really appropriate to link to or discuss here.

On the gripping hand, since this is likely to be the you-tube equivalent of a gaming blog, I believe it is appropriate and tasteful to put a link to your off site creative activities in your signature. (Look at Mark Hall's signature for ideas on how to do this.)

Finally, I don't want to be quoted on this, but I could swear that the line for acceptable vs non-acceptable linkage was not for-profit/not-for-profit, but rather available-online-for-free/behind-a-paywall. I'll go look in the rules to be sure.

And here is what I found:

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules
    You may always advertise or link to works of art online, such as other webcomics, fiction sites, music sites, or anything else that generates original artistic content—even if that site also makes a profit off of that work. We don't want the rules against advertising to prevent people from discovering new creative works that they will love, and we don't want to penalize artists for trying to make a living off of their work. However, if a site only resells creative work and does not have any of that work available online, then it is primarily a commercial site and cannot be advertised here.
    That, you can quote all the way to the bank.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2015-08-04 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

I think that tells me all I need to.

Thank you Jor and Rock.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

While it does say that advertising your own creative works is ok in those circumstances, please try to remember that this is a discussion forum and to keep the actual "advertising" to a minimum.

It is not ok, for example, to go mentioning it in every thread you possibly can, or to make multiple threads about it. At most, please make only one thread in the most relevant forum, and make that thread a discussion thread about your channel, rather than an advertisement for your channel. You may consider including a link to your channel in your signature. You may also mention your channel in a thread if it naturally becomes relevant in conversation, but don't go jumping into threads (even Random Banter, which has no set topic) just to promote your channel.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak