New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Alternate Explanation for Jillian and Wanda

For some reason, everyone seems to believe Jillian and Wanda have some kind of BDSM relationship. While this is not implausible, I find it a stretch of the imagination that a comic that censors profanity with "boop" would include such a thing. Also, The Giant said somewhere in the FAQ that young children do read these comics.

My old theory was that Jillian and Wanda were relatives, but Parson's discovery shot that down.

My new theory is that Jillian and Wanda were once members of the same tribe, and probably close friends. (Note: That's not supposed to be a euphemism.) The Croatan Tribe is lost now, according to the cast page, and Jillian "Claims no tribe."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: Alternate Explanation for Jillian and Wanda

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbane View Post
    For some reason, everyone seems to believe Jillian and Wanda have some kind of BDSM relationship. While this is not implausible, I find it a stretch of the imagination that a comic that censors profanity with "boop" would include such a thing. Also, The Giant said somewhere in the FAQ that young children do read these comics.

My old theory was that Jillian and Wanda were relatives, but Parson's discovery shot that down.

My new theory is that Jillian and Wanda were once members of the same tribe, and probably close friends. (Note: That's not supposed to be a euphemism.) The Croatan Tribe is lost now, according to the cast page, and Jillian "Claims no tribe."
    Could be. Rob and Jamie have been studiously ambiguous on the various subtexts of their relationship; it could be anything from utterly cynical exploitation (Wanda is simply acting affectionate, evoking sexual tension, etc as psychological weapons to condition Jillian) to a pair of star-crossed lovers stuck on opposite sides of a war.

My interpretation at this point is that it started out as a simple capture and interrogation, and then Wanda saw some interesting long-term possibilities as she discovered Jillian's high placement in the enemy ranks (and perhaps a preexisting tendency toward submissiveness). Perhaps she legitimately escaped the first time, or perhaps not, but in either case she was recaptured fairly soon with a new batch of intel, suggesting (or confirming) the usefulness of a "catch and release" arrangement.

However, I think Scientivore made a good point that the process would have the effect of conditioning both of them into their assumed roles, gradually making them more emotionally real.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-05-05 at 02:08 PM.