New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skill Focus is OP! Or, more **** my DM says.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I really don't think any DM that considers Skill Focus to be OP is going to let early entry tricks slide.
    Fair enough, then it seems the Super-High PO build will have to wait. Instead, play a Bard 7/Mindbender 1/War Weaver 1/Uncanny Trickster 1/Sublime Chord 2/War Weaver +4/Uncanny Trickster +2/Archmage 2. It's not quite as all-powerful, but it's close enough.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Rant incoming:

So recently I was playing a ranger who, do to the DM's odd house rules and other players dropping out of the game or making really weird builds was forced to try and perform every party roll at once and failed at all of them. We had a near TPK which left half the party dead and my ranger permanently blinded, so I decided to retire the character and make something more useful.

I kept asking the party what they wanted me to play and what role was needed, and the DM kept saying things like "Don't worry about that. Play whatever character you want to play. If the party is missing a role I will just balance the encounters with that in mind. Play for yourself, not them."

So I decided to try and make a character I had always wanted to play. Essentially a she was a chosen one raised in a monastery as a healer and saint, but decided that she wanted to actually perform a more pragmatic role in actively fighting evil, as well as exert her independence, and left the monastery to become a bounty hunter and wandering doctor.

So the character is a multiclass paladin / ranger. I have an 18 wisdom and took skill focus healing to represent my upbringing and day job as a surgeon.

I gave the DM my character sheet, he saw a +13 heal skill at third level, and asked how that was possible. I said, class skill for paladin, max ranks, 18 wisdom, and skill focus. He said hell no, that is way too OP and he doesn't allow that sort of min maxing in the game and that skill focus was banned for being ridiculously OP.

Then I said that it wasn't a power gaming thing, my concept was that I was a prodigy when it came to healing and it was an important part of my concept. He then told me that the rogue (another new character) was also playing a character who had been a surgeon, and he would not allow two characters with a healer concept in the same party as it would be stepping on the rogues toes, and the rogue had already gotten character approval, so I needed to come up with a new background.

Now, keep in mind the quote above about playing "what I wanted to play and not worrying about the rest of the party".

At that point I said "Well, back to the drawing board then." Ripped up my character sheet and threw it in the garbage and pulled out a fresh sheet. The DM then pouted for the entire rest of the evening and took his frustrations out on the rest of the party who continued playing while I made a new character sheet.

At the end of the evening I presented a generic fighter, focused on sword and board style because the rest of the party lacked the power to take a hit. This character was also banned for having a 21 AC at level four, which he said was, once again, ridiculously OP and min maxxed and said that with an AC that high I am practically invincible, and any monster that could challenge me would wipe the floor with the rest of the party and it is just too big a challenge. Keep in mind that this is only 2 AC higher than the next highest in the party btw.

Seriously, I need to figure out a way to leave this group without it biting me in the butt.
    Just leave. Never show up again. He is not Only an imbicil, but also a jerk.

3. - Top - End - #33

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. If you're intent on staying in such a low-power game yet still feel the urge to optimize, spread yourself out a bit. If possible, check the other characters' sheets and make sure none of your numbers exceed their best stats. Your AC should be equal to the highest AC. Your attack bonus should be equal to the highest attack bonus. Your damage should be equal to the highest damage. For any skill another player invests into, make sure yours is not higher.

As a result, you'll suck as much as they do, but you'll be able to be useful in every situation the others are.
    This is my vote^^^.

Make it a project. A Martial Rouge/Cleric would look innocent enough. Or Bard.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Fair enough, then it seems the Super-High PO build will have to wait. Instead, play a Bard 7/Mindbender 1/War Weaver 1/Uncanny Trickster 1/Sublime Chord 2/War Weaver +4/Uncanny Trickster +2/Archmage 2. It's not quite as all-powerful, but it's close enough.
    Too many classes on one character. I believe we've seen this DM get mad at multiclassing.

If you genuinely cannot leave the game without it costing you something genuinely instrumental to your well being, go to a random NPC generator, and just do a randomly generated character. I recommend Mythweavers, editing the feats to avoid a situation like this. Or open up the D&D Iconics and copy/paste, making sure to change the name and fix the feat and skill errors.
    Currently Playing:
    -

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Chuckles View Post
    Too many classes on one character. I believe we've seen this DM get mad at multiclassing.

If you genuinely cannot leave the game without it costing you something genuinely instrumental to your well being, go to a random NPC generator, and just do a randomly generated character. I recommend Mythweavers, editing the feats to avoid a situation like this. Or open up the D&D Iconics and copy/paste, making sure to change the name and fix the feat and skill errors.
    Even straight Bard/Sublime Chord is, while debatably unoptimized, still a full caster with 9th level spells and some bardic music. Hardly terrible, even if it's not as perfect as I'd like.

But yeah. You either need to build something that isn't going to be auto-killed by DM banhammer or you need to get out. Red Fel's got it right: your DM is so consistently horrid, I can't see how RL gaming can possibly be so valuable as to make such suffering worth the prize. What are you getting out of this game that you can't get elsewhere?

...that is, unless you're actually being held against your will and forced to play D&D with this guy. I'd like to say that I don't think that's the case, but at this point I can't figure out how else your DM would get players to consistently return to their game.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #36

Griffon

Show him this thread. Or if you cant leave, just go, without playing!
    Last edited by Max Caysey; 2015-08-07 at 05:56 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

Maybe you could explain to the DM that you don't know how to make a character without power gaming because you don't know/have forgotten how to roleplay, then leave?

I'm seriously suggesting you abuse the Stormwind Fallacy as a serious argument to get you out of the group without causing any hard feelings. Maybe it'll work, the DM doesn't seem to have all too great a grasp on the mechanics, so maybe they'll accept the fallacy as a reasonable argument.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turion View Post
    That's heavy plate, a shield, and 12 Dex, yes?

Your DM literally told you that pants are overpowered.
    I have the perfect character concept : Play Youngster Joey.

Pick a class with either familiar or animal companion.
    Choose a rat. (Nicknamed "tata")
    Wear shorts. (They are comfy and easy to wear)
    Remember everyone that your rat(tata) is in the top percentage of all rats.

Spend the rest of your class features buffing him. Defy anyone who has another familiar/animal companion.

Or leave.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ger. Bessa View Post
    I have the perfect character concept : Play Youngster Joey.

Pick a class with either familiar or animal companion.
    Choose a rat. (Nicknamed "tata")
    Wear shorts. (They are comfy and easy to wear)
    Remember everyone that your rat(tata) is in the top percentage of all rats.

Spend the rest of your class features buffing him. Defy anyone who has another familiar/animal companion.

Or leave.
    Commoner with wild cohort, done.
    Last edited by Crake; 2015-08-07 at 06:28 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Serious question, what is it this DM has over you that is preventing you from leaving? I seem to recall you mentioning before that he basically guilts you back in, but you are pretty obviously having a terrible time with this guy.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max Caysey View Post
    Show him this thread. Or if you cant leave, just go, without playing!
    I second this. I would seriously like to hear your GM's side of this.

I have seen so many threads that began one sided and took a one eighty once the other party was involved.

Either it blows up and youll need witness protection or you will finally find a solution to your gaming problems. Either way, i have read quite a few of your posts and while I cannot remember too many details, i remember feeling sorry for you. So go do something about it and if you live in an european time zone, i will slot you into my eberron campaign on roll 20.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Can you at least get a list of this DMs house rules so he or she doesn't keep surprising you?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Can you at least get a list of this DMs house rules so he or she doesn't keep surprising you?
    He doesnt "have the time to write them all down."

I suspect in reality he is just making up bans on the fly because he gets off on telling people no. He does it with rules as well as Rp stuff. Heck, he even loves to tell people they are wrong when when we are telling stories or discussing non gaming events around the table, correcting us about things which he has no idea about.

Very frustrating.

Also bards are banned, and if I tried to play a wizard he would just on the fly nerf or ban every spell I use.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Why is bard banned?
    Is cleric allowed(with that domain with time stop and PAO you can do a lot of nice things and that is without trying to do a correct priest)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

To everyone proposing powerful builds: it doesn't matter what you suggest, it won't fly. The GM will either reject it out of hand ("you used too many classes! Munchkin!") or throw a fit as soon as he sees it do something useful. If we want to be productive, maybe try to come up with aggressively low-op builds that would still be interesting to play?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

16. - Top - End - #46
    Firbolg in the Playground

Playing right now. He is chewing me out for filling out my character sheet wrong, as I included my armor check penalty as a misc modifer to my skills. He made me rewrite it becase "penalties are not modifiers."

Need to figure out how to storm out without looking like the bad guy.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Why can't you just ask the other players about what they think of his behavior? If they all dislike it, have someone confront him about the situation and how nobody likes it, or switch over to a new GM.

EDIT: Your last post tells me he's also anal retentive and needlessly pedantic. Tell him it adds up to the same thing and don't change it.
    Last edited by IZ42; 2015-08-07 at 09:05 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

18. - Top - End - #48

I realize that a lot of people are saying you should leave the game because no game>a bad game, and while this is probably true most of the time I really want to join your table. I need to satisfy my morbid curiosity and find out what kind of person could be so aggressively bad at DMing. I'm not even joking, if you could figure out some way for me to join your game (even just for a couple sessions) that would be great.

19. - Top - End - #49

No, you don't. Just go. Stop worrying about what you'll look like, because that's his hold on you. He only has this leverage over you because you give it to him. Stop doing that.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Playing right now. He is chewing me out for filling out my character sheet wrong, as I included my armor check penalty as a misc modifer to my skills. He made me rewrite it becase "penalties are not modifiers."

Not only is he being needlessly pedantic, he's wrong about his needless pedantry.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD:Modifiers
    A modifier is any bonus or penalty applying to a die roll. A positive modifier is a bonus, and a negative modifier is a penalty.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    This.

Look, Tala, you come in here quite frequently, and air perfectly legitimate grievances against this DM. One might argue that you have the patience of a saint (or the masochism of a martyr) for putting up with it as long as you have. If this isn't trolling, it's outright depressing.

You need to move on. You need to get out of there. And every time you start one of these threads, and I feel for you, you follow it up by saying you can't leave. And every time you post another of these threads, it seems harder to justify.

Go, man. Just go. If it's so life-threatening that you are totally incapable of leaving physically, be absent mentally. Take out your phone and sit in the corner. Play a Game Boy. Hell, grab some cards and play Solitaire. Eventually, you will be asked to leave. When that happens, you have your freedom. For the love of everything, take it.

I don't care if there's no other gaming in your area. PbP is a thing. Roll20 is a thing. There are things.

Your DM is terrible, but the longer you keep insisting that you have to stay with him, the more it ceases to be a case of his fault for bad DMing, and the more it becomes your fault for choosing to gratify his bad DMing with your presence.

To further emphasize my point, here's Moss:

And Ferris:

And Doc Holliday:

How many more people need to tell you to leave?
    This, all this. Listen to your Friendly Neighborhood Overlord. Also play this as you leave. This person doesnt deserve your time, cut your loses and go man, who cares what he thinks of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    This, all this. Listen to your Friendly Neighborhood Overlord. Also play this as you leave. This person doesnt deserve your time, cut your loses and go man, who cares what he thinks of you.
    I'd end it with a bit more class. I'd play this.

If you have to leave - and you, my friend, have got to leave - do it with style.

My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

you could probably get away with min maxing with a monk, he'd never expect it.

seriously though, get out of there. No D&D > Bad D&D
    Last edited by KingSmitty; 2015-08-07 at 09:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

You want to storm out without seeming like a jerk? Just say, "Listen, guys, I've been trying to make this work, but I think the things that I have fun with are different than the things you guys have fun with, and every attempt I've made at finding a middle ground has just stretched things more between us. If everybody is having less fun because of me being here, then it would be selfish of me to stay. I hope you enjoy the rest of your campaign."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    But pants are overpowered, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. This is why they're banned at my table.
    I really want to sig this.

Also get out of that game.
    I have been to "random ban and nerf" town myself, no game is worth going there.
    "Can't or won't give you a house rules document" village is also somewhere you don't want to be.
    Last edited by arclance; 2015-08-07 at 10:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arclance View Post
    I really want to sig this.
    Go ahead if you so desire. I'm glad to be of some amusement.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if you do end up trying to stick out the rest of the session, I hope you actually get to play, unlike last time...

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Go ahead if you so desire. I'm glad to be of some amusement.
    Thanks, these threads can always use some humor to lighten the mood.
    But pants are overpowered, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. This is why they're banned at my table.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Do you have a life outside D&D? If so then I expect you have experienced times when IRL has been more or less demanding of your time. If it became more demanding(or if you merely vaguely* said it did) you might have to drop one of the 2 games you are in(hint hint).

Don't try to figure how to storm out. A face saving storm out takes more time to plan and we all want to safely out of that **** game sooner rather than later.

*The key is to be vague. Don't make a lie that can be found out, make the truthful statement that school/work/family has become a bit more time consuming lately and you need to step down your gaming.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2015-08-07 at 10:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

I'm just going to add my two cents once more: get out, do it with style, and don't look back. I will return later with gifs to support this, in the hopes that it does some good somehow.

My Homebrew