New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Evil gets to have all the fun. [IC]

You enter the tavern. Inside its very rustic with a lot of re-purposed items. The bar is a plank of wood, probably taken from a wagon or cart, resting on top of two barrels. You find a table and notice it’s a wagon wheel turned on its side and attached to a sturdy central leg where an axle should go. The bottom portion of the walls is partially timber framed, then about waist height, it transitions to stone, and the roof is still wood however. It’s amazing the wood supports the weight of the stone, but you see evidence of some cleaver engineering that’s keeping the place from collapsing.

It’s mid afternoon so you basically have the place to yourselves, it’s going to be a few hours before anyone shows up. A moment after you take your seats, a woman wearing an off the shoulders blouse, lace up bodice and skirt comes by, typical commoner dress for the area really. She has a tray with several flagons of foamy ale on it. She starts passing them out, skipping Mr. kitty since he’s just a cat.

Ye can have any drink in the world, as long as it’s ale.” She says, as she passes out drinks.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-08-21 at 02:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Ah, then ale it shall be for me. Though perhaps you have some milk you could spare for my cat? He is quite fond of it. And if they have a moment to spare, I would like to speak to the proprietor of this bar about a hobby of theirs."

With that said, Selth will toss a couple of silver on to her tray to pay for the round, and the milk (hopefully).

After the barmaid walks away, "I agree with the assessment of the goblins, though it would probably be good to follow a little bit of proper decorum rather then just go kill them all, while I would enjoy that, I would like to get paid for this "job" be it in the honors of the people, or money preferably the second. I say we should either wait here for the Lord to come, or make a call after we acquire the map."

After saying his piece, Selth will sit back, and enjoy a little bit of the ale.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Xael thanks Selth and nods politely before spending a few moments pondering. "I'll volunteer to accompany his rangers after we learn a little more of this goblin problem to better understand this at the root, should Alberdine be keen on allowing it, Selth." After nodding and taking a small sip, Xael relays his small assessment of the local land to Mr. Kitty. The road near New Haven runs north and south, about a mile northward of town there lays a fork in the road, leading to what remains of Haven. The road is barren save for the locals harvesting stone for structures. The creek that lies north of the town snakes around to the west and flows southward.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

After relaying Xael's message to the rest of the group and thinking for a bit Mr.Kitty replys
    "I expected such a large town to have a larger water source than creeks and wells, I wonder if there is perhaps a spring somewhere inside the ruins?

Also, I am not too sure we want to involve the locals in this endeavor. The goblins would surely recognize the rangers, however, If we were to go alone we may be able to parlay with them. We could perhaps convince them not to attack the town any longer if instead we aid them in seizing territory from whatever group lies farther in. This would allow us to not only achieve some favor with the town, obviously claiming we killed the goblins, it would also give us an ally and fighting force for the future. If the goblins refuse to let the town be then we may be able to instead pit them against another tribe and betray them once the engagement begins.
    Worst case scenario they turn on us when we get to their base and we kill them.

Now someone spike my milk."
    Last edited by Deremir; 2015-08-23 at 03:17 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Sounds like we have a plan of action, though we still have a few holes in our plan. I think we shall be alright, if the rangers wanted to accompany us for this little excursion, then so be it, but we would probably be better off without them. Under assumptions I think that our current array of skill would make it more then easy enough to locate them, and do what business we would have with them."

Thinking"I am more concerned about the "big thing" in the ruins, while undead are not much of a worry, if something that large can make itself so scarce yet terrify these townsfolk, it might be worth getting close to, or converting, either or. Goblins I really don't see us having a problem with though while finding their nests may be hard, hiring a local scout, may be worthwhile.

With his piece said, Selth will enjoy some more of his ale, awaiting the arrival of the tavern owner and mapmaker. Also subtly pouring a little of the into the milk.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

I think I need to find something to get telepathy.....or something....

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

After a few minutes of conversation a big man with a handle bar Moustache walks into the room, seeing you at your table he approaches, pulls up a chair and introduces himself.

Names’ Clint, me wife said you wanted to see me, what about? “t can’t be the ale I don’t water down my drinks.” It’s then you noticed the ale is indeed not watered down.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-08-24 at 06:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"It is not about the ale, it is one of the finer ales I have had in my travels. I spoke with Father Bartholomew earlier this morning, and he said that you would be the person to speak with about a map of Haven proper, we are looking to start exploring the ruins, and some knowledge of what was where would be very helpful in our quest."

"Also it seems we are going to go goblin hunting, the good Father mentioned that the guards have been having a hard time getting rid of them. It is a task that my companions and I are undertaking, if you had any information regarding where they may be nesting, or what they have been raiding for it would be very helpful.

With glance at his ale Selth will lean towards Clint, awaiting his response, and hoping he has the map that he seeks.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Damian pours some ale into Mr. Kitty's milk, before taking a sip himself.

Here you go. It's quite adequate.
    Yar! I'm a signature virus, copy me into your signature!

An RPG I'm working on

Homebrew: Arcane Architect

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Ay, I’ve gota a map o’ the ol’ ruins. but it’ll cost yah, t’was no easy ta get in the first place. I dunno what them nasty goblins be wanting, they be steeling everything that isn’t tied down and then burning farm houses, they ain’t been razing fields though, so that’s good. if you’re looking for a bounty, you’ll have to talk to Alberdine, he’s the one to see about such matters; and don’t be worrying about missing him, he always shows, and ye won’t miss him that’s for sure. ” He leans back in his chair, twirling his moustache.

"I’ll tell you what; I’ll sell you my map for a hundred gold pieces. You chaps look like you can afford it.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"A hundred? seems a bit much, but I am willing to chip in."

An RPG I'm working on

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Feel free to take my portion out of my pouch"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Xael looks on and reflects for a moment upon the owner's price before rummaging into his coin-purse in silent agreement, "Here, and what do you have available for hot meals and lodging tonight?" Over at Mr. Kitty, Xael responds to his thoughts earlier. Point taken regarding the rangers earlier, although, do you think anyone will be opposed as to buy Lord Alberdine a round or two should he join our table this evening?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

"We got stew, and ale, that’s about it. The stews’ good, my own creation; you won’t be finding better.
    For accommodations, we’ve got the floor; we’re not really an Inn. We don’t get many overnight customers yet. Although I do want to expand and build an Inn when I can.
    "

Then Clint takes your money and leaves, heading upstairs. A few minutes later he returns with the map. It’s hand drawn. He rolls it out in front of you.

Got this off an adventurer a year or so ago, he and his friends went into the ruins, only he made it out. I think they drew it themselves. That was before Father Bartholomew came here; otherwise his friends probably would have survived. He left town soon after, never found out if he recovered his friend’s bodies.

He wonders off, only returning for refills of your ale and bringing food if it’s wanted.

As you study the map, more people start appearing at the tavern. They’re local farmers by their dress . Then A small group of men enter. Their obvious leader is wearing expensive clothes and has sword dangling from a baldric, the other three are also armed and have the look of military men. They find a table and are soon brought a round of drinks.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

There’s a map in the OOC thread
    you lose 100 gold, feel free to bicker and argue as to how it's to be split up.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"I have no objections to someone speaking to Alberdine. Now looking over the map...

The map does not seem to depict hills very well, but it is probably safe to assume that the keep is on a hill as to be able to fire on the river.
    Considering that there are houses on the "Great Bridge", and that sailboats are depicted going under it, it is likely to be truly massive. I would not be surprised if there were rooms inside of it.
    While it is not depicted I would guess that that smaller canal connects to the keep's moat somehow.
    I count four mage's towers, six barracks, three temples, two "check points", and four unknown buildings of note, the ones outside the city walls with red walls around their land.
    Lastly, only one of the temples is actually inside the main city so that one is probably the oldest, and quite possibly the most important."
    Last edited by Deremir; 2015-08-29 at 05:12 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"I assume that you mean I approach Lord Alberdine. Very well, try to figure out where the goblins may be, I'll go try to get a contract to go hunting."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Actually I was responding to Xael's comment about buying Alberdine a drink."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Fair enough, thoughts on going direct, or think we should go through Clint?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Likely, if we wait long enough, this ale might do the job for us. Once he's rather...receptive...it's all a matter of negotiating a price I assume?" Xael paused for a moment before adding, "Otherwise, I'd prefer to avoid challenging the local lord to a few gold coins over a game of drunken dagger toss."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Roll to get an idea of Lord Alberdine's reputation and standing within the local lords and ladies of court

Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (1d20+1)[16]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I doubt that he would conduct such business while in a state of being drunk. Anyway, I wonder if the well dressed man over there is him or merely some kind of officer."
    Last edited by Orderic; 2015-09-01 at 11:56 AM.

An RPG I'm working on

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Upon Damian’s suggestion, Xael looks over and sees the well dressed man. He can tell that he is Lord Alberdine. Xael must have seen pictures of him before; but he does recognize him.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Xael responded with a nod towards Selth and motioned toward's the well-dressed man, adjusting his posture out of Alberdine's view as much as his seat would allow. "That man is indeed Alberdine," Xael noted in a hushed tone toward's Selth.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Hmmm, well then shall I go introduce myself over a pint to him then, or think we should send a message through Clint or his wife?" Selth will whisper back.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"I see no reason not to talk to him yourself"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Very well."

Pushing himself away from the table, he will head to toe bar and grab a couple of fresh flagons of ale.

Presenting to the guards, Selth will request a moment of the Lords time.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

The atmosphere around Lord Alberdine’s table is friendly. In fact, you catch the punch line of an anecdote he’s telling; it loses something without context but his guards enjoy it and burst into laughter, one even slams his fist into the table several times to make himself stop laughing. After the moment, Lord Alberdine finishes off his mug of ale and looks up at Sleth and says,

Is there something I can do for you?”, his voice curious and lacks any trace of being posh or snobbish, as is common with nobility.

Lord Alberdine is a fairly young man of handsome features and a moderate build. His general demeanor and voice contrasts with his dress and even his station, this isn't the sort of place one would be "slumming it" as the saying goes. It appears he has more humble roots than your information suggests.