New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Agents of the Decemvirate (IC)

The invitation delivered last night was remarkably simple, especially given the importance of the occasion: “Start where it all began. Meet us at the Pig’s Paunch one hour before dawn.”

The Pig’s Paunch is a run-down building with a faded sign of a large pig standing on its hind legs, arms folded above a corpulent belly. Inside, the air is thick with the scents of human sweat, stale tobacco, and leftover food. In the center of the room, surrounded by inebriates sleeping off their revelries, a familiar elven man stands high upon top of a large round table.

“Welcome! Welcome, my students! Please, have a seat!” With that, Kreighton Shaine, the Pathfinder Society’s Master of Scrolls, nimbly drops down to sit cross-legged on the table before looking about the tavern with a sense of reverent wonder. “Can you believe it? It all started here years ago—well, over four hundred of them at least. Under this very roof the Pathfinder Society was born.

“But today! Today you will begin your Confirmation! Master Farabellus, Master Zey, and I all agree you each have shown your worth and dedication to the Society, so there’s no better time to see if you can handle becoming full field operatives. Allow me to introduce you to Janira Gavix,” he says as he motions for an excitable halfling woman to approach. She wears a large backpack and carries all manner of tools, pouches, and scroll cases around her waist. Shaine continues, saying, “Janira here will be going with you on your Confirmation. She was one of my brightest pupils and will no doubt be an invaluable resource on your journey, for she discovered the caves you are about to explore during her own Confirmation.”

Janira speaks up in an enthusiastic and cheerful voice, “Greetings, aspiring Pathfinders! Six months ago, while I was mapping cave entrances in the foothills of the Kortos Mounts, I witnessed a lone gillman entering a concealed cave. I thought little of it at the time, but I saw another one enter the cave again a month later as my Confirmation stretched on. A few days later, after I completed my assigned task, I entered the cave system, but was unable to find the gillmen.”

Master Shaine hops to his feet. “Initiates, for your Confirmation, you will travel to these caves to explore and document its many passages. Additionally, and most importantly, you are to learn what the gillmen are up to in there. Oh, and you need to come back alive as well.” With these parting words, the Master of Scrolls jumps off the table and strolls out of the building while humming to himself.

Janira watches the strange elf leave the inn with obvious admiration in her eyes, then turns to the assembled group her voice humming with anticipation for the task ahead. "So, as Master Shaine said, I am Janira Gavix, I grew up right here is Absalom, in the Eastgate district. I am the oldest of seven children and I joined the Pathfinders to travel the world and eat everything it had to offer!" She grins impishly. "I found a love beyond food I did not have to share with six other siblings, however. There is so much to learn and this knowledge needs to be preserved! Just thinking of all the great knowledge that has been lost over the centuries almost makes me lose my appetite...almost." She grins again. "So, tell me about yourselves!"
    Last edited by Truwar; 2015-08-14 at 01:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Agents of the Decemvirate (IC)

A young, elven woman with long, flowing red hair and amber colored eyes, looks curiously at the others assembled in the tavern, then turns to Janira, speaking in a melodic Common: "I'm Jade. I've been in Absalom for a few years now, working for Liberty's Edge. As an Initiate, I've had various assignments, like gathering information, scouting, investigation, making contacts and so on. I can work my way around a trap, most of the time, get into places that would otherwise be off limits, provide distractions and work a crowd." She smiles a bit, and steps back to let someone else introduce themselves. At her side hangs a curved, slender blade of elven origin, and an unstrung short bow leans against a chair next to her. A well worn studded leather armor protects her torso, and covers the dark red tunic she's wearing underneath it. Kneehigh, soft leather boots and a dark pair of close fitting trousers make up the rest of her current wardrobe.
    Last edited by Yawielas; 2015-08-16 at 09:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Truwar View Post
    "So, tell me about yourselves!"
    After listening attentively and writing several small notes in his notebook, Geoffe Turnisson looks at his brother Shaun and nods his head meaningfully. He then turns to the halfling woman and replies, "I'm Geoffe, and this is my brother Shaun. We're both from Qadira and somewhat capable with the arcane arts. I focus on fire magic, especially when there is some risk of danger, and tend to be a good student."

After speaking the young man's plain demeanor leaves little impression on the listener. His appearance is only marred slightly by the brightly colored and intricate tattoo on his right side - traveling from his exposed hand all the way to his neck and chin - though as the firelight shifts his skin alternates between a slightly greenish tone and a darker red. Where his tattoo and clothes don't cover the skin he looks to have rather rough skin, as if sunburned too many times, and his smile shows off slightly elongated canine teeth.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "I'm Geoffe, and this is my brother Shaun. ..."
    The man to Geoffe's left groans softly. He shifts in his seat, turning his body slightly away from the wizard who could almost be his twin. "Ugh, do you have to tell everyone?" he grunts as a whisper, apparently ignorant of the fact that familial resemblance told the tale long before his older brother.

Looking up, the deeply tanned man answers the halfling's original question. "As he said, I'm Shaun. I- err... I know my way around some of the... uh... more questionable sides of the arcane. In particular, I have focused most of my studies in calling and summoning creatures from beyond our own plane of existence. I also have something of a gift... you might say, for mending injuries..." He looks to the ceiling, apparently trying to think of other things worth sharing.

"I guess that's about it, for now." His heavy robe bunches oddly on the chair as he takes his seat again- like it was meant for someone a few inches taller.

5. - Top - End - #5

Denjan

Denjan waits and listens calmly, until there is a pause. He is a average size human with well defined muscles, wearing little but a loincloth.

"My name is Denjan, a traveler from a far off land. I am a humble servant of goodness and peace. I have no such impressive skills, but have some small skill in arms, but prefer to avoid conflict."
    Last edited by Smileybastard; 2015-08-14 at 08:51 PM.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade listens to the other initiates' presentation, letting her gaze glide across the room to those few yet to speak. She doesn't recognize any from her own faction, but that's not really a problem. Considering the mission, she tries to recall if she's ever heard anything about gillmen.

7. - Top - End - #7

(Anyone who would like to know more about Gillmen, go ahead and make a knowledge history check)

Janira smiles and welcomes each of the initiates as they introduce themselves. She then turns and address a horribly scarred dwarf. He is obviously a warrior, clad in well maintained scalemail with a well-used plain oaken shield strapped to his back and massive axe at his hip. His lanky black hair is tied back with a simple leather thong and his thick beard is marred by several scars on his face, the most terrible of which pulls half of his face up into an awful mockery of a grin. The halfling addresses the dour warrior in what sounds like dwarven.

"Hoppholderim koennin sie sich vorstellen?" The dwarf glowers at the halfling and rasps back to her. "Sie koennin kein Zwergisch, warum soll ich sowas machen?"

The halfling smiles back at his frown and says. "Keine sorgen! Ich kann fuer sie uebersetzen!"

The dwarf sighs, as if in pain and turns to the other initiates and addresses them in a mockingly sing-songy tone. "Ich heisse Hoppholderim. Ich bin ein" he holds up air quotes with his stubby fingers "Krieger. Ich habe lange Laufen in die Bergen gern und hass unaufrichtige Leute. Meine lieblings Farbe ist Blau und ich habe Bier trinken lieb."

The longer the Hoppholderim speaks, the more forced Janira's smile becomes. When he finally ends his falsely cheerful tirade and folds his arms again, returning to his apparently natural state of silent grumpiness, Janira addresses the party. "Hoppholderim has just explained that he is a warrior and is happy to be part of the group." It does not take the insight of an inquisitor to see that this might not have been a direct translation of what the surly dwarf said...

(Hoppholderim speaks only dwarfish. To simulate this I am going to have him speak German the only language I speak besides English. It has been years since I have written much in German, so my apologies for the butchering of the language ahead of time. Also, I am having to type this on a tablet, so I am unable to colorize speaking parts until I get home. If your character speaks dwarven, PM or email me and I will send you a translation of what was said.)
    Last edited by Truwar; 2015-08-21 at 11:06 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) re: Gillmen
    Show
    (1d20+9)[23] as requested

Geoffe nods his head without allowing his expression to change as the halfling woman explains the taciturn dwarf's response.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Knowledge gillmen
    Show
    Knowledge local(1d20+1)[15]

Jade watches the ugly dwarf with fascination as he speaks, wishing she knew dwarven. Communication could be difficult if he didn't speak Common at all.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Shaun sits largely passive while most of the others introduce themselves. When Janira addresses the scarred Dwarf, his eyebrow raises somewhat reflexively. He tilts his head, obviously both surprised and listening. Otherwise, his expression remains fairly impassive as the Dwarf and Halfling speak.

Janira addresses the party. "Hoppholderim has just explained that he is a warrior and is happy to be part of the group."
    Suddenly, Shaun bursts into full-bellied laughter. As his fit subsides, he realizes that most of the gathered party is looking at him quizzically. He ignores most of his allies looks, instead turning to the Dwarf. "Entschuldigung, Herr Zwerg. Ich fand einfach unser Patron Erklärung unterhaltsam. Sie hat eine Weise mit Wörtern, um sicher zu sein."
    Spoiler: language
    Show
    I usually use the font distinctions to simulate languages. That said, I *do not* speak German anything resembling fluently. I do, however, have the google translate app on my phone. Is it halfway decent? Lol

My response to the Dwarf was "Apologies, master Dwarf. I simply found our patron's explanation entertaining. She has a way with words, to be sure."

11. - Top - End - #11

Being addressed in Dwarven momentarily takes Hoppholderim by surprise but he recovers quickly, growling a short “Hurumph!” that needs no translation and burying his face in his beer stein.

Janira, on the other hand, smiles broadly upon discovery on Shaun’s linguistic skills. “Oh wonderful! I was afraid nobody in your group would be able to speak Dwarven. Hoppholderim may not be the most… social of fellows but his heart is in the right place and he is a talented warrior.” A brief shadow of concern passes over her face as she looks about the common room. “I had thought there would be one more here but I do not see her. As we are pressed for time we are going to need to leave right now. I have been told she is quite mobile, so she should have no trouble catching up with us. We are going by foot and my stride does not eat up as much ground as you tall folk.” She grins down ruefully at her short legs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

Smiling blandly, Geoffe stands and follows the halfling.

Turning to his brother he comments, "I had no idea you learned to speak dwarfish. Well done, brother!

It is somewhat odd for gillmen to be so visible - they usually avoid human contact...
    "

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade quickly strings her bow, then picks up the rest of her stuff, ready to leave. "Perhaps we should bring some food, or have you got that covered?" She looks to Janira.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Turning to his brother he comments, "I had no idea you learned to speak dwarfish. Well done, brother!"
    Shaun looks at his brother with unmasked surprise. "What, you never learned to speak with them? I would have assumed father would want you to know their"- he gestures to Hoppholderim- "language in particular, seeing as you were bound to take up his holdings someday..."

He walks behind the halfling, splitting his time between listening to her continued chatter and responding in kind as appropriate.

15. - Top - End - #15

Hoppholderim grunts we he notices he is being gestured at, grumbling something doubtlessly uncomplimentary under his breath as Janira nods at Jade.

"If you need any food or gear you can pick something up on the way out of town. Remember, we will be exploring caves. I brought my own gear but you will have to see after yourselves. Self-sufficiency is a key attribute of any successful Pathfinder."

With that she leads the group out into the sea of sentient folk that is the streets of Absalom, making a bee-line for the neighborhood of Westgate and the Sally Portal, the Western gate of Absalom.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to purchase any additional gear you think you might want. Remember, it is about a two day walk out to the caves and a two day walk back, so you are going to want 4 days of ration plus however long you think it might take you to investigate the caves. Don't forget any caving gear you might think you will need as well.
    Last edited by Truwar; 2015-08-17 at 06:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Denjan

Denjan stand quietly to the side listening to the exchange of words and then following the group quietly. Certainly he agreed self sufficiency was important.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade buys some supplies on their way out of town, mostly bread, some cheese and dried fruit and meat. She plans on doing some hunting if there's time, but hunts aren't always successful.

18. - Top - End - #18

When Jade voices interest in hunting Janira shakes her head. “No time for that, it is going to be a hard march for two days to get to the caves and we cannot afford to be late or we will miss the full moon.”

She looks around at the party’s confused reaction to her statement about the moon and realization slowly dawns on her face. “Oh! I got so excited about getting going that I forgot to fill you in on the details of the mission!” She blushes a bit then clears her throat and begins speaking, sounding as if she might be reciting a speech that she has been practicing.

“After reviewing my mission reports personally, Master Shaine believes it is no coincidence that each time they entered the caves it was during a full moon, so it is also no coincidence that you have been called here now, just a day before the moon is full again. We both believe that tomorrow night is our best chance to find out why these caves are important and what exactly the gillmen are doing in there.”

“The caves we’ll be travelling to lie under the base of the Kortos Mounts. We’ll need to spend every minute of daylight possible to reach the caves by foot, crossing over the Cairnlands, taking the paths to Diobel, and finally making our way through the wilderness. With any luck we won’t run into any of the local inhabitants.”

“Once in the caves, we’ll need to work together to explore and determine whether any gillman are present or have been recently. Keep an eye out for any other clues that might hint at the caves’ significance, too.” We could cover the ground more quickly if we were mounted but the local centaur tribes find the notion of horseback riding offensive and angering a whole tribe of the best light cavalry on Golarion is probably a bad idea.”
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "I would have assumed father would want you to know their language in particular, seeing as you were bound to take up his holdings someday..."
    "No, Mom was willing to help me convince him to let me focus on the more arcane languages. I assured him that as I had time to study I would work on it and would invest in training to learn magic to help with translation too," replies the heat-scarred man without looking at his brother, his eyes looking to the distance as if in memory of discussions with family.

"Remember, we will be exploring caves."
    Excusing himself for a moment, Geoffe returns with a somewhat heavier bag and several pieces of additional supplies.

Spoiler: Purchases
    Show
    All of the following would be nice to have, but debatable given prices. Anyone want to help buy one or two?

1. Campsite Kit (gear for 4 PCs - 12 GP, but 80 lbs of weight, which is much too heavy for Geoffe to manage)
    2. Climber's Kit (80 GP - very expensive for a +2 to climb but possibly worthwhile)
    3. Compass (10 GP, avoid getting lost)
    4. Common Dungeoneering Kit (15 GP, pretty varied uses)
    5. Mapmaker's Kit (10 GP, useful for recording our travels and the arrangement of the tunnels)
    6. Spelunking Kit (includes a climbing kit, very expensive - 174 GP)

“After reviewing my mission reports personally, Master Shaine believes it is no coincidence that each time they entered the caves it was during a full moon, so it is also no coincidence that you have been called here now, just a day before the moon is full again. We both believe that tomorrow night is our best chance to find out why these caves are important and what exactly the gillmen are doing in there.”
    Nodding in understanding, Geoffe comments, "Thank you for explaining - for a moment I was concerned that there was going to be a threat of were-gillmen. That would be a strange discovery indeed..."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

“...no coincidence that each time they entered the caves it was during a full moon, so it is also no coincidence that you have been called here now, just a day before the moon is full ...”
    Shaun scowls behind the halfling's back. He grumbles, "We probably should have left yesterday, then. I can't say I much relish the idea of exploring a cave complex the night after a a two-day forced march..." His complaints devolve into a wordless grumble, occasionally interrupted by coherent vocalizations of "mount" and "stupid centaurs..."

21. - Top - End - #21

Janira chuckles at the mention of were-gillmen. “Don’t worry, I have no reason to believe the gillmen activity has anything to do with lycanthropy. I also do not believe that full spelunking gear will be necessary to find out what the gillmen are up to. None of them were carrying any special gear that I noted when the entered the cave. Gillmen are not known for being expert climbers so I think we can handle anything that a gillman with no climbing equipment can.”

She winks at Shaun as he grumbles. “Don’t worry, it will only be a really hard trek for those of us with short legs. You should have no trouble keeping up with me.” As she is assuring Shaun, the party passes out of the Sally Gate under the watchful eye of the Absalom cavalry soldiers that police the section of the great city.

As they leave the city behind the party moves along well-worn paths into the Cairnlands, the graveyard of the many armies that have unsuccessfully attempted to lay siege to Absalom. Crumbled battlements and the twisted remains of fantastically massive siege engines dot the countryside along the countless makeshift tombs and shallow graves of those foolish enough to try and conquer the greatest city in Golarion.

At midday Janira excitedly points to a heap of twisted, rusty girders. “That is the remains of the Red Redoubt of the artificer-wizard Karamoss! He raised an army of hobgoblins and strange metal warriors and laid siege to Absalom for nearly two years before being repelled with the help of a great druidic order. They say that in the ensuing battle Karamoss disappeared!” She continues in a stage whisper. “Many claim he lurks beneath the ruins of his great iron fortress to this day, plotting his revenge on Absalom!”

Travel continues like this for the rest of the day. Janira finally calls a halt near the edge of the Cairnlands, as the sun begins to dip below the horizon. “Well, I think that is enough walking for one day! We have made pretty good time. If we can keep this up, we should be at the caves by tomorrow afternoon. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am going to eat some rations and head to bed!"
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Denjan

Denjan nods. "Is there danger here? Should we take shifts being on guard?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade sets her gear down, and unpacks her bedroll, folding it out on a piece of ground that looks suitably soft. Looking to Denjan, she nods. "It's always good to take precautions, I think. There are enough of us that everyone still can get some sleep if we take shifts. I can take the last watch, then I can prepare some breakfast." She looks around at the others. "Agreed?"

24. - Top - End - #24

Janira seems unsure about the need to post guard but Jade's offer of breakfast seems to bring her around. “Feel free to stand guard if you like.” Janira then begins casting a spell calling forth her power with a lilting ballad in a language one can almost, but not quite understand. When she is done casting the spell a few more times, she grins and rolls out her bedroll. “Sleep well, I look forward to breakfast!" After a quick, and surprisingly sizable, dinner of trail rations, Janira climbs into her bedroll and is soon fast asleep.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll a spellcraft check, if you would like, to identify the spell.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Janira winks at Shaun as he grumbles. “Don’t worry, it will only be a really hard trek for those of us with short legs. You should have no trouble keeping up with me.”
    Grudgingly, Shaun nods. "I suppose you've got a point, at that. Didn't reckon on you walking the whole way with us, though I 'spose I should have- what with Mr. Shaine telling us so, and all." His face bears the sheepish expression of someone who knows he should have known that.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Since I can, (1d20+9)[18] spellcraft

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGuy

Groaning quietly in relief, Geoffe sets his pack down and begins making himself comfortable, massaging his feet and rubbing his back gingerly. He watches Janira cast her spell and says, "Even as tired as I am, I will stand the first watch if no one else is willing. If someone wishes to stay up with me I cannot guarantee amusing conversation, but I don't mind sharing stories if they are willing." Then, taking up some kindling and rocks he begins making a campfire. "Is there a reason to avoid a little campfire tonight? I have a special affinity for fire, and tend to enjoy its presence overmuch..."

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    (1d20+9)[19]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade smiles a little and helps build a fire. "So, you are both magic users, but not the same magic, is it so?" She looks at the two brothers. "What is it that you can do?"

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yawielas View Post
    "So, you are both magic users, but not the same magic, is it so? What is it that you can do?"
    Once the wood is gathered, Geoffe takes a moment and conjures a lick of flame from his fingers that lights the campfire. "I prefer magical fire. There is something pure and powerful about it, and watching flames can keep me entertained for hours. As for Shaun, we have talked a bit, but not gone over it all in detail, so you will have to ask him."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Shaun watches the Halfling intensely, smirking a bit at the completion of her efforts. "That's convenient." he says, simply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yawielas View Post
    Jade smiles a little and helps build a fire. "So, you are both magic users, but not the same magic, is it so?" She looks at the two brothers. "What is it that you can do?"
    He turns his attention to the Elf, as his brother answers her question promptly. "I uhhh... I usually conjure creatures. I've found something of a knack for tending minor wounds as well, though I don't know exactly how to describe it. It doesn't feel like my conjurations, at least."

30. - Top - End - #30

Denjan

Denjan smiles. "I am happy to take any watch."