New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Agents of the Decemvirate (IC)

Jade steps forward cautiously. "Hello." She hopes not to startle the gillman, and pauses, waiting for a reaction.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

The gillman continues his chanting, apparently ignoring everything Jade has said. Standing closer she notices that he is quite old.
    Last edited by Truwar; 2015-09-14 at 12:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Truwar View Post
    Spoiler: Detect Magic
    Show
    Geoffe is easily able to identify the source of the torches' heatless flame as continual flame spells. He also notices that the cloak they picked up earlier is enchanted.
    Spoiler: Continued investigation of the cloak
    Show
    Three rounds of concentration and Spellcraft (1d20+9)[21] to identify its powers.

4. - Top - End - #124

Denjan

"Maybe he does not understand us." Denjan bows to the creature.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

5. - Top - End - #125

NecromancerGuy

Looking around at his allies, Geoffe shrugs and invokes a minor power, conjuring four globes of light that he carefully directs into the darkest corners of the room. Apparently content to ignore the gillman until either it speaks or one of his allies elicits a response from it, he inspects the room more closely and tries to prevent any unseen ambushes. As he does, he drapes the cloak over his shoulders, securing as he is able.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Use spell like ability (Dancing Lights, from Varisian Tattoo) and take the time to inspect the room as described.

Perception (1d20+1)[7]

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    The cloak is a Cloak of Resistance +1. I am not claiming it permanently, but rather than it go unused in the meanwhile figured that I would have Geoffe explain its use when the party was not facing a potential encounter.

If anyone has issues with that, I will not equip it. Just say so.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade looks at the others, and tries again, in Elven: "Hello. I am Jade. Who are you?"

7. - Top - End - #127

As Geoffe's light floats into his field of view, the gilman starts and turns around a look of shock on his face. Upon seeing the bowing Dejan the expression changes to that of bemusement. He returns the bow and addresses the party in a slightly odd, almost slurring, manner. Greetings land dwellers, I am Uori, an Oracle of my people. What brings you to this place?

Spoiler: Perception check on Gilman.
    Show
    Spoiler: Perception Check DC 15
    Show
    He seems to be interested in the cloak the party found
    Spoiler: Perception Check DC 20 or Linguistics DC 12
    Show
    He voice sounds odd because he is deaf
    Last edited by Truwar; 2015-09-15 at 03:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Shaun inclines his head to the Gilman, and steps forward. "We, uhhh... That is to say... Well, we're looking for your kind," he says, clearly not entirely comfortable with his assumed role. "We are representatives of the Pathfinder Society, and we were sent here to see what we found. What with the finding paths bit..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+2)[4] perception

9. - Top - End - #129

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Truwar View Post
    Perception check on Gilman.
    As Uori turns to address the party Geoffe directs one of the orbs between them to provide light as they speak. He then looks closely at the oracle as the gillman speaks.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Perception (1d20+1)[16], Linguistics (1d20+5)[10]

When he recognizes the gillman's interest in the cloak about his shoulders, Geoffe removes it and holds it carefully before him, waiting for an opportunity to ask him about it.

10. - Top - End - #130

Denjan

Denjan smiles and bows humbly. "We have come to meet you, learn of you and foster friendly contact."

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Perception (1d20+6)[15]
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Perception:(1d20+6)[22]

Jade bows slightly to the gillman, and adds to the others' greetings in clear Common: "Please forgive our intrusion upon your meditation. We are explorers, and curious to know what secrets these caves hold. If you would assist us in this endeavour, we would be very grateful. Like my friend said, we seek knowledge and friendly contact." Her tone is warm, and even though he might not be able to hear her, it's a warmth and a sincerety that shows in her face as well. She offers a friendly smile, and awaits his answer.

12. - Top - End - #132

As the gillman listens to Jade’s eloquent greeting his smile goes from bemused to friendly. When Geoffe hands over the cloak he takes it with a grateful nod of his head. “I can appreciate the quest for knowledge and I thank you for returning this cloak. It is another piece of a mystery I have come to solve. This is a holy place for my people and we often visit here on pilgrimages to contemplate the serenity of the pool at the heart of the mountain."

His expression grows troubled. "The last several pilgrims that have visited here have not returned, however. I have sought divine guidance and have discovered where whatever has been causing the disappearances of my kin is located but I have also been warned that if I am to go there I will perish. I have been seeking way to investigate this peril without becoming a part of the missing and now here you are, a band of mighty heroes. I will provide you with any information I can about these caves if your will seek out and discover the fate of my brethren. What say you?"
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade nods. "Your help in describing these tunnels and what they might hold will be most valuable to us." She looks at the others to assure their agreement, before continuing:"We've been given the task of investigating this mystery, and your missing pilgrims is a part of that. We will do what we can to find out what happened to them. Please, what can you tell us about the caves? What dangers are lurking here, and where is the location of the cause of the disappearances? Can you help us complete the map my friend has started working on?" She motions towards Shaun.

14. - Top - End - #134

Denjan

"I am pleased to offer what help I can."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Shaun peers at the Gilman with undisguised distrust for a moment. After a long pause, holding a thoughtful expression, he nods. "I will help as I am able. And the map would indeed be quite beneficial to, it seems, both of our causes."

16. - Top - End - #136

NecromancerGuy

Geoffe moves forward and shows the gillman his chalk-drawn map, making a sign that he can continue to draw at the oracle's direction of that Uori can write instead if he would like.

17. - Top - End - #137

The oracle eyes the map then apologetically spreads his hands. “I regret that I cannot tell you more about the other parts of the caves. The cave we stand in now is a holy site and the path we take to get here is proscribed by tradition. We do not explore anything beyond the 3,234 holy steps to reach the meditation pool and we have never faced any danger here.”

“If you can find out what happened to my brethren I can tell you about this cave, however. Both my people’s customs regarding it and what I know of its use by the worshippers of Aroden.” He points to the eastern tunnel leading out of the cave. “That is the location of whatever has been causing my brethren to disappear. Be careful however, although I do not know what it is, I know that it is wholly evil.”
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

NecromancerGuy

Geoffe looks a bit disappointed, but notes the number of steps to the pool and the direction of the great evil with a look of doubt and concern on his face.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade looks to the tunnel of evil..."Is there anything else you can tell us about what might be waiting...?"

20. - Top - End - #140

The aged gilman frowns, somewhat embarrassed. "I am sorry, I do not know any more than what I have told you. My divinations revealed only that that tunnel is a place of death for gilmen." He smiles hopefully. But you are not gilmen! So perhaps you can reveal and defeat the darkness that lies within.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

NecromancerGuy

Geoffe smiles without the expression really reaching his eyes, the concern on his face reading through. "We'll do our best," he promises as he readies himself to follow the party's usual scouts.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Shaun nods, the Gilman's words echoing his own expectations.

"Indeed, we are not. Well, let's get on with this. Only one way to see if we all die violent deaths!"

Oddly cheerful, he moves towards the passageway, allowing Jade the necessary space to move past him.

23. - Top - End - #143

Denjan

Denjan moves forward seemingly unfazed by the threat of death hanging over them.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade nods to Uori. "Thank you. I hope we'll bring back good news." She heads into the tunnel, with a hand firmly closed around the hilt of her blade. Treading carefully, she takes scouting position with Denjan again.

25. - Top - End - #145

With Dejan and Jade leading them, the party heads into the tunnel Uori asked them to investigate. The tunnel’s damp air becomes increasingly stale as they move further from the grand pool-chamber. Soon, a sense of abiding “wrongness” seems to cling to the party’s flesh as they turn east and the tunnel opens up into the a small cavern littered with bits of broken glass, rotting pieces of paper, and other unusable detritus. There is an odd smell in the air and lying thirty feet away, in the middle of the destruction, is a crumpled figure, clad in a black and scarlet robe.

Spoiler: Perception DC:5
    Show
    The odd smell is decay.
    Spoiler: Perception DC:15
    Show
    The figure on the ground is not breathing.
    Spoiler: Perception DC:25
    Show
    You hear a faint shuffling somewhere out of sight in the cavern.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+1)[15]

"They're not breathing," whispers Geoffe to the others as he peers into the room. "Shall I light it?"

27. - Top - End - #147

Denjan

Denjan slowly approaches the figure. "Are you in need of help?"

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Perception (1d20+6)[12]

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Shaun stays back, keenly aware of his own relative vulnerability. "I don't know," he whispers. He nods to Denjan, approaching the figure, and grasps his staff defensively. "Let's see what happens."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Preparing an action to start casting summon monster I if Denjan gets attacked.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade moves cautiously over towards the figure on the ground, lifting a hand to cover her mouth and nose against the odour in the room. "Something's dead in here..."

30. - Top - End - #150

As if summoned by Jade's declaration groaning undead lurch from the corners of the room. Seven corpses lurch towards the party in various states of decay. Four have been reduced to almost nothing but bone whereas three of them appear to have expired recently enough to still have some, horrifically decayed, meat on them still.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Geoffe: 24
    Shaun: 21
    Low meat undead: 20
    Denjan: 19
    Meaty Undead: 15
    Jade: 7
    Hopp: 6

Spoiler: Knowledge Religion DC:5
    Show
    These are animated skeletons and zombies.
    Spoiler: Knowledge Religion DC: 13
    Show
    Zombies are resistant to everything but slashing weapons and the skeletons are resitant to everything but blunt weapons.

Spoiler: Knowledge Nature DC:10
    Show
    The zombies are gilman corpses.
    Spoiler: Knowledge Nature DC:15
    Show
    So are the sekeletons!
    Last edited by Truwar; 2015-09-28 at 03:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show