New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 14: Second Cour

Really? For some reason I thought Eva was younger than that, interesting.

I don't think the second half of the anime is that hard to follow, it's given us quite a few story dumps, and it's pretty much constantly giving little hints with dialogue and how people react to things. (we're to just after the giant paper airplane).

I'm guessing the story dump episodes with footage about the great men was from the OVA?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Also, didn't somebody do a "Let's Read Muv-Luv" a while back? They're Kickstarting an official translation now
    first grisaia and clannad, now muv-luv? what a time to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    that's pretty stellar but i'm concerned that if the show continues kumiko x reina won't be canon.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ex cathedra View Post
    that's pretty stellar but i'm concerned that if the show continues kumiko x reina won't be canon.
    Here's a translated interview you might be interested in: https://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2015/09/27/sound-euphonium-roundtable-director-tatsuya-ishihara-series-director-naoko-yamada-author-ayano-takeda/

4. - Top - End - #304
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Spoilers for future novels in the series
    Show
    I can't say this with one hundred percent certainty, so do please take it with a grain of salt, but I do recall hearing from someone that has actually read the LNs that Kumiko does eventually start dating Shuichi.

That said, I would totally be down for Kumiko x Reina becoming canon. I've not read the LNs, so I can't say for sure if it's the case there, but the writers of the anime gave them genuinely incredible onscreen chemistry.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    Spoiler: Spoilers for future novels in the series
    Show
    I can't say this with one hundred percent certainty, so do please take it with a grain of salt, but I do recall hearing from someone that has actually read the LNs that Kumiko does eventually start dating Shuichi.
    i'm aware of this; honestly, given the characterization and development that occurred in the first season, i wouldn't be concerned about if not for the spoiled comment.

that was pretty insightful, thanks a bunch.

6. - Top - End - #306

i'm aware of this; honestly, given the characterization and development that occurred in the first season, i wouldn't be concerned about if not for the spoiled comment.
    Ah, sorry. I didn't know you already knew.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

We finished up ROD The TV.

I feel like the ending was kind of weak, but overal it was a fun show to watch.

Spoiler: rod
    Show

It tied up so neatly and perfectly that I kind of feel like the libraries plan did go through, it's just that the "rewrite" wasn't really as radical as would be expected. I think part of this feeling just comes from the last batch of episodes, leaving which left me wondering how accurately events were actually "narrated" to us. The guy says this thought on my part reminds him of total recall, which he had to explain because I've never seen it.

I do like how it was shown to us that at least the experiences of the sisters after meeting one another were true, making their "sisterhood" as real as ever, regardless of if they were tampered with prior to that or not.

Also, what's the deal with John Woo anyway? (the pigeon) I jokingly said he must be a part of Mr. Gentlemen lol, though really his presence throughout the series is a little weird. Though I'm also kind of fuzzy on the Libraries relations with Dokusensha, though it was explained it still doesn't quite fit together right to me so I may be misunderstanding it.

I think we're going to watch Daily Lives of Highschool Boys next!

8. - Top - End - #308

Spoiler: rod
    Show
    Dokusensha's backstory was heavily simplified from the novels which follow a radically different plot, that's probably why it isn't very clear.

Re-writing reality wasn't the British Library's plan, that's just Mr Gentleman's power and a side effect of attempting to reincarnate him. I think in the novels Mr Gentleman can control knowledge because he loves knowledge that much like how the Paper masters can control paper because of how much they love books or something like that, I have not read them. The British Library and Dokusensha also talk about trying to create a universal language which I believe is a reference to Gottfried Leibniz (this is about as important to the actual plot as Judeo-Christianity is to NGE).

John Woo is just there because of the show's general obsession with Hong Kong cinema. The three sisters are named after actresses from a pair of Chinese Super Hero films and John Woo is a famous director obsessed with doves/pigeons.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2015-11-04 at 06:32 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

So a Princess: The Hopeful* play-by-post I joined is finally starting up soon and I realized that while I'm broadly familiar with the magical girl genre as an entity the only real experience I have with it is from Nanoha, Madoka, and Sailor Moon (Crystal; I only ever saw scattered episodes of the first anime back in the day and barely remember them).

Is Cardcaptor Sakura, Futari Wa Pretty Cure, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Princess Tutu a good cross section to try and cram as much as I can of over the next week or so to make up for this deficit?

* Magical girls, New World of Darkness style. It works surprisingly well.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Barbarian in the Playground

Utena is really good and you should watch it, but it's not really what you're looking for right now.

There was a pretty good discussion on this entire topic a couple pages back.

I'm still working my way through Ojamajo Doremi (on ep 25 of Dokka~n now), and it's really fantastic, so I'd definitely recommend you watch at least the first three episodes of it while you're doing this crash course.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

We were going to watch Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, but got waylaid by Food Wars.

We kept seeing it in the ads while watching ROD and wanted to know what the heck was going on and it's managed to hook us real good. We're already a little more than halfway through it, I guess it's just a super easy anime to watch. (also...makes me super hungry all the time..I mean any anime that has food in it does that, but this one is completely dedicated to food)

But we are definitely going to watch Daily Lives of Highschool Boys next!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Is Cardcaptor Sakura, Futari Wa Pretty Cure, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Princess Tutu a good cross section to try and cram as much as I can of over the next week or so to make up for this deficit?

Can't say anything about PreCure or utena, but Princess Tutu is amazing (and has the best music you will find in any anime, though that's cheating). I really like Sakura, but it isn't flawless. There is a lot of filler in the first arc, but I generally found it to be cute and amusing enough that I didn't mind. The second arc was shorter and had more story progress per episode but was somehow more boring. Not enough that I ever considered dropping the show but enough that I felt slightly annoyed that they didn't get on with it. I haven't seen the movies yet so I can't comment on them.

13. - Top - End - #313

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    We were going to watch Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, but got waylaid by Food Wars.

We kept seeing it in the ads while watching ROD and wanted to know what the heck was going on and it's managed to hook us real good. We're already a little more than halfway through it, I guess it's just a super easy anime to watch. (also...makes me super hungry all the time..I mean any anime that has food in it does that, but this one is completely dedicated to food)

But we are definitely going to watch Daily Lives of Highschool Boys next!

As I mentioned before, Soma's last arc is really great and one of the best shonen sport anime I've watched, and I wish there's a second season.

Food manga/anime is actually one of a staple of the industry (ha ha, see what I did there?). Some that I remember are Mister Ajikko, the one I watched in my childhood and I think might be one of the pioneer, and Chuka Ichiban, which is set in 18-19th century china (I forgot). It's wuxia! Only instead of punching each other, they cook-off each others (It's actually pretty down to earth)!
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

14. - Top - End - #314

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    I'm still working my way through Ojamajo Doremi (on ep 25 of Dokka~n now), and it's really fantastic, so I'd definitely recommend you watch at least the first three episodes of it while you're doing this crash course.
    These shows tend to be pretty episodic, so if you just want a feel for the genre you can just watch a few episodes of as many different series as you can.

I'd go with Doremi/Pretty Cure/Sakura since those are actually aimed at the right age group. Another good one to look at is ShugoChara.

Princess Tutu is probably my favourite though, but its a bit plot heavy and shorter at 2-cour.

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    There is a lot of filler in the first arc
    What's filler in plot heavy series is pretty much the main course in most children's series.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2015-11-07 at 05:17 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    As I mentioned before, Soma's last arc is really great and one of the best shonen sport anime I've watched, and I wish there's a second season.

Food manga/anime is actually one of a staple of the industry (ha ha, see what I did there?). Some that I remember are Mister Ajikko, the one I watched in my childhood and I think might be one of the pioneer, and Chuka Ichiban, which is set in 18-19th century china (I forgot). It's wuxia! Only instead of punching each other, they cook-off each others (It's actually pretty down to earth)!
    I think there were rumors about a second season? Or am I just thinking of it being a 24 episode show already...
    Also, not entirely sure but I think there aren't really enough new chapters yet to make another (double) season. Maybe they're waiting for that.

I have to admit, the only other food focus anime I'm aware of is Yakitate! but that IS hilarious, though not quite as delicious.

sidenote: Anyone seen Gundam Origin 2? I found it entertaining enough, though pretty weird at times... The best scenes by far remain Ramba's
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

What, people are talking about food anime series without even one mention of Toriko? Toriko is basically Dragonball where everything is focused around making food and instead of said eponymous balls, people are trying to find the parts of a legend's full course. The entertainment value fluctuates and he first anime is damn long, and I have no idea when it will continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
    OH! MY! GOD!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Personally I'm a fan of the manga Nobunaga no Chef. A Japanese chef gets sent back in time to the Sengoku period, losing a good chunk of his memory but none of his skill at cooking. As stories spread of a genius cook with vast knowledge of foreign cuisine, they attract the attention of Oda Nobunaga, who gives the protagonist a job as his personal chef.

Apparently there was a live-action adaptation but it was pretty bad.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    Utena is really good and you should watch it, but it's not really what you're looking for right now.
    I guess I should specify that I do specifically want to dip my feet (back) into the darker and/or more mature twists on the genre for part of this, seeing as the game that this "research" is for in the first place is itself an example of such (though much less deconstructive than most).

There was a pretty good discussion on this entire topic a couple pages back.
    I sort of have three pages to catch up on reading, so I guess I'll do that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    I'd go with Doremi/Pretty Cure/Sakura since those are actually aimed at the right age group. Another good one to look at is ShugoChara.
    Doremi is officially added to the list. Shugo Chara I saw the first episode or two of a while back and totally couldn't get into.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

That's good to know, I'm getting a little bored of him pulling out wins and such with relative ease, even if it is cool how it showcases his history to improvisation and experimenting. Though the last few episodes at least had him in some sticky situations, and were quite interesting. (we left off at the end of the "hell camp") I would have never thought of it as a shonen sport anime though, but I guess it basically is only with cooking.

I think it's really an interesting anime for how it shows a lot of different people and ways of thinking you'll meet in a general art environment. I had to explain to the guy that people like the "god tongue" girl actually do exist in artistic serious real life settings, even if it doesn't really make any sense to deny something that is good simply because of a "low" origin. And it has a lot of themes about being able to improvise, and willing to make mistakes to learn and improve. I feel like it'd be the kind of anime I'd have someone watch to learn about approaching visual art in a round about way.

20. - Top - End - #320

I'm a little surprised by how much I'm liking Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry. Stella and Ikki are genuinely likable so far, the plot actually seems fairly well written, if generic, the supporting cast is interesting and have distinctive character designs, and it gives what is actually a valid reason for the MC being thought of as inferior. So, as far as Magical High School LN's go, this one is doing pretty well.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2015-11-07 at 08:25 PM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    I'm a little surprised by how much I'm liking Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry. Stella and Ikki are genuinely likable so far, the plot actually seems fairly well written, if generic, the supporting cast is interesting and have distinctive character designs, and it gives what is actually a valid reason for the MC being thought of as inferior. So, as far as Magical High School LN's go, this one is doing pretty well.
    Bonus points for the two getting together early on and not dragging it out the rest of the series.

22. - Top - End - #322

That's good to know, I'm getting a little bored of him pulling out wins and such with relative ease, even if it is cool how it showcases his history to improvisation and experimenting. Though the last few episodes at least had him in some sticky situations, and were quite interesting. (we left off at the end of the "hell camp") I would have never thought of it as a shonen sport anime though, but I guess it basically is only with cooking.

I think it's really an interesting anime for how it shows a lot of different people and ways of thinking you'll meet in a general art environment. I had to explain to the guy that people like the "god tongue" girl actually do exist in artistic serious real life settings, even if it doesn't really make any sense to deny something that is good simply because of a "low" origin. And it has a lot of themes about being able to improvise, and willing to make mistakes to learn and improve. I feel like it'd be the kind of anime I'd have someone watch to learn about approaching visual art in a round about way.
    I won't sugarcoat it, early Soma is pretty boring, and it got some pretty out-of-place questionable fanservices. My friend also left it early because of that. But I always recommend people who have watched at least a bit of it to understand the premise and know at least some of the main characters, to watch the final arc (just skip the middle, especially the superfluous "soma going home" mini arc) because it's just that good.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Murr I got to the end of Soredemo Machi Wa Mawatteiru and now I'm playing the waiting game along with everyone else who reads it.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

I won't sugarcoat it, early Soma is pretty boring, and it got some pretty out-of-place questionable fanservices. My friend also left it early because of that. But I always recommend people who have watched at least a bit of it to understand the premise and know at least some of the main characters, to watch the final arc (just skip the middle, especially the superfluous "soma going home" mini arc) because it's just that good.
    I don't really mind the "fan service" since it's pretty equal opportunity about it, and so over the top and ridiculous all I can do is laugh at it. I think the only one that really bugged me was the early one with the squid dressed in peanut butter...

We actually were drawn in by the commercial juxtaposing the foodgasms with the cooking, though in the commercial it's not clear at all why they're naked and there's sparkles shooting everywhere, and we needed an answer.

There's another show in crunch rolls commercials I want to watch that seems to be magical boys? It looks really weird and offbeat, which is a thing that also tends to draw us in.

25. - Top - End - #325

There's another show in crunch rolls commercials I want to watch that seems to be magical boys? It looks really weird and offbeat, which is a thing that also tends to draw us in.
    If you mean Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!, I recommend it. I started watching it for the novelty, but it turned out to be genuinely entertaining enough to keep me going. It feels like one of those parodies done by people with a lot of genuine affection for the genre, and avoids becoming a constant rehash of "lol it's magical girl stuff, but they're boys!" to generate humour on its own merits.

Love is over!

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    If you mean Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!, I recommend it. I started watching it for the novelty, but it turned out to be genuinely entertaining enough to keep me going. It feels like one of those parodies done by people with a lot of genuine affection for the genre, and avoids becoming a constant rehash of "lol it's magical girl stuff, but they're boys!" to generate humour on its own merits.

Love is over!
    I really like this one. Funny, and every episode was at least amusing, with a couple of very good ones in there. A second season is supposedly coming, even if the first season really was all you needed for the story they told.

27. - Top - End - #327

I don't really mind the "fan service" since it's pretty equal opportunity about it, and so over the top and ridiculous all I can do is laugh at it. I think the only one that really bugged me was the early one with the squid dressed in peanut butter...

We actually were drawn in by the commercial juxtaposing the foodgasms with the cooking, though in the commercial it's not clear at all why they're naked and there's sparkles shooting everywhere, and we needed an answer.

Well, if you're interested, someone tried the recipe shown in the first episode, Soma style.

http://anitay.kinja.com/food-wars-re...ast-1703359028
    Last edited by Fri; 2015-11-09 at 04:50 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

That's pretty cool that that one actually tastes nice....maybe we'll try it sometime. It may be one of the few pork things I can eat without getting ill. The pictures of them mimicking anime shots are pretty fun too.

I had heard that at least some of the recipes are available in the manga (and on further poking around that there's an official cook book).

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if you're interested, someone tried the recipe shown in the first episode, Soma style.

http://anitay.kinja.com/food-wars-re...ast-1703359028
    Well, thank you very much, now my keyboard is soaked.

Just a few words on the still surprisingly decent Ironblooded Orphans: Bit of a backstory dump this week, but still decent enough character interactions. Apparently people live in a big chunk of the solar system now? Well, I guess we will not care about how long interplanatery travel takes but it's okay
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground