New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 14: Second Cour

So anyone follow Dungeon Meshi at all?

Spoiler: latest chapter
    Show
    Because the latest chapter definitely took a sudden turn for me.

HE GOT HIS DAMN LEG RIPPED OFF WHILE HE WAS STABBING A DRAGON THROUGH THE THROAT.

LIKE HELL.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Orc in the Playground

If you have not checked out Boku No Hero Academia then you are wrong. I just got caught up on the manga with that, and I intend on following it extensively.

3. - Top - End - #843

Quote Originally Posted by Merellis View Post
    I am. It's great. If anyone ever wants to read a fantasy dungeoneering + cooking manga, this is what they should look for. Oddly specific, I know.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zigwat View Post
    If you have not checked out Boku No Hero Academia then you are wrong. I just got caught up on the manga with that, and I intend on following it extensively.
    I've been really enjoying the anime. Don't dare step into the thread we have on it in the forums though, because I'm sure it's chock full of manga spoilers.

Looks like it got confirmed for another season, but they haven't released when that will be yet. Guess that means a minimum of three months of waiting for more, which is kinda sad (never been able to get into manga, especially for action-focused series).

Go beyond! PLUS ULTRA!!!!!

5. - Top - End - #845
    Orc in the Playground

Well there's no worries then! For I am here!!!!

I-I mean uhhh yeah I'm already caught up in the manga completely. Now I patiently wait for issue 97. So, I guess I will go check out the thread.

As for Full Metal Alchemist, the 2003 anime went all over the place in terms of story. Once they ended the manga issues, and went on with the anime they wrote, it got to be choppy, and clumsy. I remember I could pin-point when the manga ended and the anime took over, it was that obvious. I was REALLY happy when I found out that the manga was completely different, because the ending was just such a disappointment. I mean, really, all of the World War 2 crap and all of that was just out of left field, and terrible!

Brotherhood is so much better in terms of everything. The 2003 anime had some decent ideas here and there, but overall it wrote itself into a corner and never truly got out of it.

The movie, though, from 2003 anime was way better than the Brotherhood anime's movie. That one was terrible.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    I am. It's great. If anyone ever wants to read a fantasy dungeoneering + cooking manga, this is what they should look for. Oddly specific, I know.
    Actually it's more than that. It's actually the best lighthearted classic fantasy manga I've read. I mean, stuff with elves and dwarves and such that you'd expect from a dnd session I don't know what's that called, that's not something gritty. Seriously, I'd recommend this to any dnd or fantasy tabletop rpg players.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

7. - Top - End - #847
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed. It has that classic shenanigans feel that most D&D campaigns have. Yes, in most cases the shenanigans in people's campaigns are not specifically around eating monsters, but I think anyone who has ever GMed a group of D&D players is going to feel right at home with Laius's and Senshi's weird obsessions and harebrained schemes.

8. - Top - End - #848

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Indeed. It has that classic shenanigans feel that most D&D campaigns have. Yes, in most cases the shenanigans in people's campaigns are not specifically around eating monsters, but I think anyone who has ever GMed a group of D&D players is going to feel right at home with Laius's and Senshi's weird obsessions and harebrained schemes.
    This is probably the reason why I empathize so much with Chilchack and Marcille.

I hope there's a second adventure as this one's about to wrap up. It'd be a shame for it to end here, but it'd also make sense for it to.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If it hasn't done well it might but there's still the whole subplot about the sorcerer to deal with if it doesn't.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    I hope there's a second adventure as this one's about to wrap up. It'd be a shame for it to end here, but it'd also make sense for it to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry Laius, but your sister is in another dragon!

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #851

RedWizardGuy

So Attack on Train...errr Kabenari just ended, and it was pretty rushed. I was half expecting the stupid stone to be the raw material for the cure, not this symbolic bull****. =(

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Finished watched ReLife. Having all the episodes come out together in a single day, 13 in total, was really something... Binged through it and I enjoyed it very much. Then I started reading the manga where the anime left off (chapter 108) and now I have no idea what to do with the rest of my day...
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

13. - Top - End - #853

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Finished watched ReLife. Having all the episodes come out together in a single day, 13 in total, was really something... Binged through it and I enjoyed it very much. Then I started reading the manga where the anime left off (chapter 108) and now I have no idea what to do with the rest of my day...
    Wait, they gave out the whole season at the start?

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ettin in the Playground

That makes two of us. It was far more enjoyable than I had anticipated.
    Sure, the whole Relife organization's motives and their purpose and stated goals was muddled and pointless and i can't see how they hope to make money off it, but you just have to accept it along the lines of 'yellow suns make Kryptonians strong' - a reason for the story to be set up and work.

15. - Top - End - #855

I gave Berserk a shot, and am somewhat relieved that it was bad enough I don't need to keep up with it. This looks like being a pretty light season, overall. It's kind of a shame, though. I enjoyed the original anime well enough, and was curious to see what the further story involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    That makes two of us. It was far more enjoyable than I had anticipated.
    That's... surprising. I took a look at the manga when CR picked it up, and quickly decided that I didn't want to read a romance story involving a late-twenties guy pretending to be a teenaged high schooler. Is there some unexpected development that makes it not incredibly skeevy?

On a less negative note, I finished Flying Witch, and now I want more Flying Witch. No hurry, though. I'm cool. Everything's cool. Bring munchies.

(Also finished High School Fleet - it was okay, but I wouldn't recommend it - and will finish Boku no Hero Academia in a day or so, but everyone who cares has already watched that, I'm sure.)

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    That's... surprising. I took a look at the manga when CR picked it up, and quickly decided that I didn't want to read a romance story involving a late-twenties guy pretending to be a teenaged high schooler. Is there some unexpected development that makes it not incredibly skeevy?
    I felt that the MC's romance plot was rather secondary in the anime, at least for this season, and the focus was more on how the other characters interacting with each other and how the MC influences that. The MC's romance plotline didn't get a lot of focus in the anime, and when it was relevant, I felt it was executed rather well.

Flying Witch was awesome. It was the first Slice of Life anime that I watched, but it was so chill and I loved it.

Also sad that Sakamoto desu ga? is over. When I started watching it, I found it rather weird. I was right, but it was a good weird.

I'll also add Kiznaiver as one of my last season favorites.

Of course, Re: Zero, but it's not over yet...

Spring anime that I wouldn't recommend: Hundred and Big Order.

Looking forward to Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! LOVE!.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Orc in the Playground

Yeesh... Saw the first episode of Berserk when it came out. Normally, it takes a lot to make me realise that something is wrong. For example, I quite enjoyed a few select recent anime with the worst Gary Stu protagonists imaginable (yes, I did notice but just laughed it off for the most part). However, the new Berserk left an absolutely terrible first impression. I thought I could bear the CGI but it is just so bad~. Plus, it seems the full story will never be faithfully adapted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
    OH! MY! GOD!

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

On a less negative note, I finished Flying Witch, and now I want more Flying Witch. No hurry, though. I'm cool. Everything's cool. Bring munchies.
    Don't know about the manga (haven't read much yet) but Relife was not really about the MC's romance. It was mostly slice of lifey, learning the power of friendship stuff in school and the major romance was between two normal high schoolers. Protag-kun's romance is just barely touched on at the end of the series and is, for spoilerific but frankly obvious reasons, just fine. The MC was very aware of the 'skeeviness' of an adult pretending to be a teenager and getting it on with people much younger than him.

Flying Witch was my fave of the season, which I strongly suspected it would be when I first heard they were doing an anime of it. Everything seems so nice while watching it.
    Sakamoto desu ga? had a perfect end, and I'm not sure I would want much more. It was a great show but gags get boring if they go on too long. Leave them wanting more but not too much more, and that's what this show managed.

19. - Top - End - #859

Quote Originally Posted by Merellis View Post
    This looks really interesting, I can't wait to read more of it.

Also in chapter 2
    Spoiler
    Show

I know it's a well-known expression, but it's still hard not to make the connection to Farfetch'd

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

I gave Berserk a shot, and am somewhat relieved that it was bad enough I don't need to keep up with it. This looks like being a pretty light season, overall. It's kind of a shame, though. I enjoyed the original anime well enough, and was curious to see what the further story involved.
    Technically most of the stuff in the first ep comes from the first chapter of the manga, with characters from Volume 17 showing up at the end. The first anime covered something like Volumes 4-13 (the "Golden Age" flashback arc, minus its ending).

I'm pretty sure this will be in continuity with the Berserk: Golden Age movie trilogy (which used similar CGI graphics) rather than the old series, though. The old series cut out Skull Knight's introduction while the movies left him in, and he's due to show up again.

If you want to see the rest of the story, the manga is pretty easy to find.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2016-07-04 at 04:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone watching the new seasonal animes?

Fukigen na Mononokean looks calm and nice, got me interested. The fuzzy thing was cute.

Hatsukoi Monster... I'm... Not sure what to think about that one. I mean, I found Sakamoto desu ga? odd in the first episode, as well as Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! but this? I'm having a hard time coping with this anime. I'll watch another episode before deciding, but some things are too weird for me... Besides, I've encountered kids in my brother's class, six graders(!), that are my height. I don't need to be reminded of my shortness in anime as well... And having a serious looking glasses-wearing deep voiced 5th grader talk about his wiener...

Orange looks interesting. I like animes that mess with time, as long as it's done well. I'm not sure how much that concept will be explored, but the rest of it still looks interesting so I'll be following this one.

Taboo Tattoo looks rather standard, haven't really seen anything that really caught my attention from the first episode. The protagonist gets a super power that's unique even compared to those with similar super powers... Will keep watching, since I've got time to waste, but not too excited about this one.

Puzzle and Dragons Cross - Not familiar with the game, and here too, the first episode was rather standard... All about that unique protagonist deal. So same deal as Taboo Tattoo, will keep watching unless it goes bad before I'm in too deep (after a few episodes of a show, I can't stop watching no matter how much I don't enjoy it).

Rewrite - I'm not sure what to think about that one. Random, I guess. A lot of things happened, but nothing was explained so far so... I'll guess I'll wait for the second episode.

Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan - Another anime with unique release method... So they'll be showing 5 minute segments every weekday and then post the full episode collection on Sunday? Okay... I would rather have them whole, as the cutaway was rather random and I thought my internet was at fault, but since I have little self restraint, I will probably end up watching each segment. The anime itself seems funny and I enjoyed the 5 minutes that we have seen so far...

22. - Top - End - #862

I'm planning to watch Mob Psycho 100 when it starts, but that's about it. I've watched the first episodes of Berserk (dropped) and Bananyan (so short it barely counts, though I'll probably keep watching). I plan to check out Sweetness and Lightning, too. Other than that, I'll see if anything generates buzz before checking it out.

I'm using the fact that there's not much new this season that interests me to catch up on previous seasons, including Konosuba (amusing) and Grimgar (...judgment withheld for now; I'm only a few episodes in and have mixed feelings).

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ettin in the Playground

Fukigen na Mononokean looks calm and nice, got me interested. The fuzzy thing was cute.
    This is the only one I have watched so far. The first episode seems like a mix between xxxholic (which I really like) and Kyoukai Rinne, which I didn't bother to finish. I was not particularly impressed, but it wasn't bad or anything. Maybe I'll feel more like it later on; there have been plenty of shows that didn't really seem that good at first glance but which I later thought were OK or even good.

24. - Top - End - #864

Puzzle and Dragons Cross
    They... made a Puzzle and Dragons anime? What?

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    They... made a Puzzle and Dragons anime? What?
    Yeah... I thought the game is sort of like the pokemon games, with some plot that they are adapting (similar to the Ace Attorney anime being fairly close to the games), but then I checked out the game...

26. - Top - End - #866

Yeah, it's a match-3 mobile battle/puzzle game where the gimmick mainly is collecting critters to fight other critters. From that it might sound a bit Pokemon-esk, but it's really not. For one it's about as devoid of any sort of story or plot as you can imagine.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

I am so hype for the new Shokugeki no Souma, yo. It's going to be amazing.

Somewhat interested for Orange and Taboo Tattoo, and a handful of others, but I'll prolly drop most after a single episode.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

28. - Top - End - #868
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rewrite - I'm not sure what to think about that one. Random, I guess. A lot of things happened, but nothing was explained so far so...
    I've read the VN (and largely enjoyed it) and it's probably going to be bad.

The VN has a common route, 5 heroine routes, and 2 "true" routes. The anime is doing a mix of an anime original 6th heroine route + common route and the first "true" route, while skipping all the original heroine routes. While this is way better than doing an omnibus thing, or some weird amalgamation of all the routes, it's still stuck with many of the bad things about VN adaptions and the girl they're focusing on is probably the worst and least interesting character in the VN.

And that's on top of it being animated by 8-bit, unlikely to have time to cover the second true route, and only existing to advertise Rewrite+

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

I'm definitely interested in checking out MP100; I'm sold enough on it to check it out. It's almost like getting OPM Season 2!
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

30. - Top - End - #870

I've watched Orange, Sweetness and Lightning, Tales of Zestria the X, and New Game, and am definitely going to be watching Amanchu when it comes out. Oh, and I'll probably be giving Qualidea Code a try, since it was on Glass Reflection's top 10 from this season, and I don't see any other action shows that sound that interesting to me.

Of those, I'll probably be giving Tales another episode to hook me, but Orange and SaL were both good. Sweetness and Lightning was a lot more melancholy than I was expecting.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.