New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2439404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1507
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 14: Second Cour

If you haven't seen Lovely Complex, do that! It's the closest thing to Toradora's mix that I can think of.

You can watch Ore Monogatari to recharge beforehand.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ogre in the Playground

Update on my anime club: I had 11 teens show up yesterday, a good mix of high school and middle school kids. Surprisingly, the aforementioned Aquarion Evol fan (who was so excited when I told her about this club she practically peed her pants) didn't make it.

We ended up selecting Free! Iwatobi Swim Club as our first anime to watch. Then Crunchyroll wouldn't let me play the second episode for some reason, so we ended up closing out with the first episode of Assassination Classroom after that.

As for Black Clover that a couple people mentioned, as it happens that's what I used to test my wi-fi connection before the program. The main character shouts too much for my liking, but it seems like it would have been okay to air, and when a commercial for it played a few of the kids seemed interested.

Once again, thanks for the help and suggestions!
    Last edited by Velaryon; 2018-01-25 at 11:43 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    As for Black Clover ... The main character shouts too much
    yes

Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-01-25 at 09:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, that VA has a talent for finding the exact right pitch and growl to drive me nuts, and holding it...and holding it...One day his voice is gonna freeze like that.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Wow, that VA has a talent for finding the exact right pitch and growl to drive me nuts, and holding it...and holding it...One day his voice is gonna freeze like that.
    The tragic part is that this is the most correct and accurate voice this character should have. For better or worse, this is the perfect casting.

Black Clover is not as good as it surprisingly is because of Asta. Or even Yuno. It immediately suffers from the Naruto problem in that the side cast are far more likeable. But they actually get to do something!

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

Also that the anime insists on dragging things out because Studio Pierrot hasn't yet figured out the seasonal model that every other studio has completely eliminates the need for filler.

Also, it's page 49, we better start coming up with some titles.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Titan in the Playground

General Anime/Manga Discussion 15: Maid In Japan

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

General Anime/Manga Discussion 15: Tournament Arc

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Based on what little I saw, I think his voice did freeze like that. I'm pretty sure he yells every single line he has in the first episode. Not since Watanuki in xxxHolic have I taken such an instant dislike to a main protagonist.

As for the new thread title, I don't feel that I've participated enough in this one to weigh in on the next one (also I don't have a good suggestion). However, I do like this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ogre in the Playground

In honor of Yuru Camp: General Anime/Manga Discussion 15: The Comfiest Thread

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    General Anime/Manga Discussion 15: STRUCTURED SERIES OF INDIVIDUAL FIGHTS ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRC
    Gigguk'd that for you.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

General animanga discussion 15: Thread Learner's Permit
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Firbolg in the Playground

Let's just follow animemaru and have GAD 15: The Leader of Anime News.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Bugbear in the Playground

General Anime/Manga Discussion 15: Consecutive Normal Threads
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2018-01-28 at 12:16 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I'll vote for this too.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I am so irritated with Hajime no Ippo these days. I waited most of my life for the author to decide to get back to the main plot and he seems like he just isn't going to...

17. - Top - End - #1457

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I am so irritated with Hajime no Ippo these days. I waited most of my life for the author to decide to get back to the main plot and he seems like he just isn't going to...
    The manga is ending. And it seems like a good ending based on what I know of the series. The image of Takamura shrouded in shadow, one of his eyes just ****ing dead is fantastic.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Perhaps if the story hadn't taken a decade long detour from the plot, and then decided not to actually finish any of the long term plot hooks I might not be so angry.

Neither the Gonzalez nor Miyata fights ever happened, and he never resolved the love triangle plot.

19. - Top - End - #1459

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Perhaps if the story hadn't taken a decade long detour from the plot, and then decided not to actually finish any of the long term plot hooks I might not be so angry.

Neither the Gonzalez nor Miyata fights ever happened, and he never resolved the love triangle plot.
    I mean it's not over YET. It's endING, not endED. They'll probably resolve the love triangle.

As for the fights...look man. Some things just don't happen. Ippo's punch drunk, Takamura's half blind. This isn't some comicbook where they'll get miraculously cured and get to fight again. This was Ippo's last bout, and I don't imagine Takamura lasts longer. Sometimes you've gotta accept that reality, even in the realm of a fantasy like a manga, will come through

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I mean it's not over YET. It's endING, not endED. They'll probably resolve the love triangle.

As for the fights...look man. Some things just don't happen. Ippo's punch drunk, Takamura's half blind. This isn't some comicbook where they'll get miraculously cured and get to fight again. This was Ippo's last bout, and I don't imagine Takamura lasts longer. Sometimes you've gotta accept that reality, even in the realm of a fantasy like a manga, will come through
    Recently invented plot for Ippo so that we have a reason not to watch him fight Ricardo or Miyata. The plot since the second Sendou fight has been unmoving "the Dempsey Roll doesn't work!" Maybe we could have gotten to the important stuff if we didn't spend a decade fighting magicians, one armed men and boys raised by monkeys.

21. - Top - End - #1461

A Place Further Than the Universe is amazing. Very rarely do I see a series recognizing and celebrating individuality in such a mature, well-written way - not just anime, but any media in general.

You see, the show's basic theme is nothing new: "follow your dreams, you can do it!" But the thing is, most shows with this message also have a conventional, socially acceptable definition of "dreams", usually success at some profession, sport, business, etc. But what if that dream is something really out there and ridiculous like a visit to Antarctica?

From a conventional stand point it's ridiculous and a little absurd, and the characters in series treat it as so. But the show also tells you not to let go of your dream, that you can make it happen if you work hard enough even if no one else thinks like that, even if no one supports you. Screw the haters, down with the conformist attitude! There lies the strength of this series' message.

It's also beautifully animated, genuinely funny and the main cast is likeable and well-written. A strong contender for the anime of the season.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ogre in the Playground

KaiserNeko explains it a bit differently than just simply "following our dream". What he says is, in Japan, high school is a person's "last hurrah", so to speak. Whereas here in the U.S., college is more for experiencing life, and people aren't as locked into careers here, Japan does it differently in regards to entering the work force and determining how the rest of your life is going to be. That's why this trip is so important to Mari. Maybe not the rest of the cast, but it's placed early on that this trip is a "last hurrah", even though the situation isn't the same for each girl. Really, the only one following their "dream" is Shirase, and the rest are along for the ride. Which is part of what makes it so good. Each girl is different and has different motivations for going (I'm forgetting Hinata's reasoning for going, but she's so far the best character so it's all good).

Best show of the season? Possibly. Recency bias has me thinking it could be the case, as the last episode of Yuru Camp was a little disappointing. Mitsuboshi Colors has been fun all the way through though, super consistent and good laughs. I just picked up Slow Start today and caught up, and it's ok. Definitely not as good as those three, but it's fun. I'm following the dub of Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san, so I'm waiting on that one to see how it goes. It's solid so far, but I'm worried the theme could mean it gets stale along the way.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Each girl is different and has different motivations for going (I'm forgetting Hinata's reasoning for going, but she's so far the best character so it's all good).
    She got a high school diploma presumably out of middle school and is just hanging around until she's allowed to do college entrance exams, or delibaretely delaying college until she's older. Either way, I suspect she's kind of between Kimari and Yuzuki - whatever friends she made growing up are living the high school life without her, and now she's bored out of her skull and just wants to go on an adventure. Since we heard so little of her backstory I suspect they're keeping some drama in storage for later.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2018-02-01 at 11:59 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Troll in the Playground

Recycling a joke: Yare Yare Daze of Our Lives.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

25. - Top - End - #1465

Shirase's the one who started the dream but it doesn't mean the rest are just along for the ride (okay, Yuzuki kinda is, so far). They're all willing to work hard to make it happen, it's their shared dream now.

No idea who KaiserNeko is but I can't agree with them. I know there's that stereotype in Japan that high school is the best years of your life but I simply don't see that motivating Kimari at all. She wanted to do adventurous things in high school not because it's the last hurrah but an open book. The beginning of a new chapter, not an end to one.

And I'm glad it's not her motivating factor because "high school is the best period of your life!" is one of those bullcrap lessons anime likes to shove down your throat that simply isn't true at all. This series on the other hand paints a more realistic outlook, with two characters' high school days being pretty miserable through no fault of their own, while the third simply decided to skip it all and it's not portrayed as something bad at all.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

Given the titles of this thread and the previous one, I think the most fitting title for the next one would have to be General Anime/Manga Discussion 15: The Beach Episode

Anyhow, it's getting to be about about time for the best 5 (or so) series I've seen in the last 6 months or so since my last list...

Wait, how long has it been since my last list?

Two years, huh?

Well, I suppose this is what happens when your last time on the site was in the summer of 2016

So, yeah, I guess this means I've got 4 of these owed, so really this would need to be a 'best 20 series' list. Which is doable but may take a little time. So, watch this space?

Also I seem to be back now.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm very much on the verge of giving up on Citrus. Too much melodrama and sexual assault, not enough romance. Well, not enough romance that doesn't veer into sexual assault, at any rate.

Right now the shows I'm watching are ranked in terms of enjoyment thus:

1. Sora yori mo Tooi Basho
    2. Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
    3. Violet Evergarden
    4. Yuru Camp
    5. Mitsuboshi Colors
    6. Gakuen Babysitters
    7. Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
    8. Citrus

Really looking forward to the Spring lineup. I have a thing for baseball anime, and there are two coming up. Major 2nd and Full Metal Panic IV fit in the category of sequels I have to watch simply out of love for the long-running parent. Hinamatsuri is highly promising, and I won't repeat my mistake of rereading the manga before the season begins (sorry, Takagi-san - it's not your fault you're a straight adaptation). I'm also going to try Gurazeni, Hisone to Maso-tan, Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro, Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii and Mahou Shoujo Ore (if only for the impending trainwreck factor). Obviously Boku no Hero Academia 3rd season is on the list as well.

28. - Top - End - #1468

I'll admit I'm not super up on this season of anime because most of it looks bad, or is something no one else likes (Pop Team Epic) or something I'm waiting to watch with a friend (Cardcaptor) so I'm also holding out for Spring. God, come faster My Heroooo!

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've actually been enjoying Pop Team Epic. I mean, it's ridiculous, and most of the jokes either don't land or are obviously references to things I don't have enough context to get, but it entertains me.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'll admit I'm not super up on this season of anime because most of it looks bad, or is something no one else likes (Pop Team Epic) or something I'm waiting to watch with a friend (Cardcaptor) so I'm also holding out for Spring. God, come faster My Heroooo!
    Have you tried some of the stuff on my list? Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho in particular strikes me as something that's very hard not to enjoy. It's possible that I've just been looking harder for anime to watch this time, but in Winter 2017 I watched Netjuu no Susume and that was about it.