New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,507 of 1507
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 14: Second Cour

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    So for the last few seasons I couldn't be bothered to check out new anime. Is there anything that stands out that I should watch in the last year or so? (Not a big fan of sport anime but some are good, not particularly interested in "cute girls doing cute things" unless it is funny or I guess has really good character writing. Something funny is always nice. Proper fantasy is something I would give a try but proper fantasy is rare. But just name what you considered outstanding and I can filter myself.)
    The Ancient Magus' Bride stands out for fantasy this past season. It's absolutely gorgeous, and the fantasy world it weaves is fascinating.

Overlord is lots of fun, with writing and depth I didn't expect from the premise. It could have gotten very cringey at a few points, but subverted or reconstructed the tropes I was afraid it would treat in cliché, annoying ways. It also has some nice world building.

Both series have characters I like very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Ogre in the Playground

Made in Abyss and Land of the Lustrous were standouts from last year.

A Place Further than the Universe from this season. While it does star four high-school girls, it's not "cute girls doing cute things", and is fantastic (not fantasy though).

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Firbolg in the Playground

So for the last few seasons I couldn't be bothered to check out new anime. Is there anything that stands out that I should watch in the last year or so? (Not a big fan of sport anime but some are good, not particularly interested in "cute girls doing cute things" unless it is funny or I guess has really good character writing. Something funny is always nice. Proper fantasy is something I would give a try but proper fantasy is rare. But just name what you considered outstanding and I can filter myself.)
    I hear excellent things about Princess Principal and Girls' Last Tour. I really enjoyed Recovery of an MMO Junkie, with the caveat that it's since emerged the director (not the original creator) is an anti-semite and the company have distanced themselves from him.

Re:Creators ultimately left me cold, but your mileage may vary on that. Konosuba S2 and Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon were both good, depending on your taste. I hear mixed reports about Little Witch Academia. Tsurezure Children and Gamers! are supposedly both good romcoms.

From this year, A Place Further than the Universe is probably the best thing currently airing, while Teasing Master Takagi-san and Laid-Back Camping are both good (though the latter may be too cute girls for you).

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    I hear excellent things about Princess Principal and Girls' Last Tour. I really enjoyed Recovery of an MMO Junkie, with the caveat that it's since emerged the director (not the original creator) is an anti-semite and the company have distanced themselves from him.
    Girls' Last Tour is definitely kind of a thing.

Like, yeah, it stars two cute girls, but... well, ok, so, instead of "cute girls doing cute things", how does "cute girls muse on the futility of life and the need to keep hope anyway against a surrealistic postapocalyptic background, but, like, in a melancholy-cute way" sound?
    Last edited by Drascin; 2018-03-12 at 01:13 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Bugbear in the Playground

Made in abyss - Ah I remember watching the first epi of that and hearing it was good, planned to watch it then forget about it.

The anti cute girl doing cute things thing is only really for when it is just empty beside and that is the whole entertainment value of the thing so Girls last tour might work

Konosuba season 2 I actually did watch.

Princess principal I actually do remember trying the first epi and it could be entertaining. So i did try some things during the last year.

Tsurezure I am reading the manga so probably redundant to watch the anime.

A Place Further than the Universe I will try.

Land of the Lustrous ah I remember seeing some pics of that worth a try.

Ancient magus bride manga again though I am not up to date. But might look pretty in anime form so I should try it anyway.

Thanks.

6. - Top - End - #1506
    Ogre in the Playground

Since we're past 50 pages now, the new thread's up

7. - Top - End - #1507
    Troll in the Playground

The anti cute girl doing cute things thing is only really for when it is just empty beside and that is the whole entertainment value of the thing so Girls last tour might work
    Honestly, I'd recommend giving it a shot with an open mind. It's a pretty hard show to describe. Like, strictly speaking very little actually happens in it, and the main characters are drawn like simplistic adorable potatoes (my friends and I actually call it "the postapocalyptic potatoes show"), but it hits some art-appreciating parts of my brain I was sort of unaware I actually had.

The only word I have in my small English repertoire to describe it is "beautiful". And I realize that when people say an anime is beautiful generally they mean "still screencaps of it look good", but here I'm referring to the whole package. There's a slow wistfulness, a touch of surrealistic heartfeltness, a directionlessness, that is enhanced by the superb sound direction and makes the whole thing feel like art so much that even my aesthetically-illiterate ass can feel it.