Default Re: Ale, Fortune and Math

Spoiler
    Show
    Constitution Check:(1d20+1)[7]

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Mathwin tries to hold his eyes open as long as possible, but his eyes water and tear until he blinks. He blinks as quick as he can, and is in amazment that when he opens his eyes, the females hair is blond. "Good. I like to begin the night with a win for me. Call me Anna. Can I buy you a drink?"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Taken aback, Mat smiles. "You shifted your hair in the time it took me to blink?! Impressive." Mat does a quick patdown to make sure nothing has been taken from him. "Why don't you let me buy you a drink? To the winner go the spoils, after all."

Mat bows slightly. "You may call me Mat."
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2015-10-08 at 02:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244

MonkGuy

She smiles, you've said the same line to many strong women before, and you know it's exactly what they want to hear. As you order drinks, she requests a "Dragon Vemon", and asks if your brave enough to try some.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Well that depends on what's in it, love. If something, or someone, is going to put me on my back I want to know a little about it." Despite his cautious demeanor, Mat order two Dragon Venoms.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2015-10-08 at 02:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246

MonkGuy

She leans even closer, and speaks in a voice that you can only barely hear, "It's made from Black Adder Venom, which has been known to put a man on his back for days. But it's been distilled in dragon wine for 6 months, and filtered through the liver of a goat. I'm told it's puts men on their back, for the night." She winks as the glasses are placed on the table. She grabs hers gently and says a phrase in a language you don't understand, and follows it with, "To being on your back." She proceed to drink the entire drink in one setting. She appears to be fine after drinking it.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"To being on your back," Mat repeats. He drinks the shot in a fluid motion.

Mat tries to keep enough of his wits to assess his situation. If he feels overly affected by this drink, he'll pop a minor spell he learned at the Academy, Cleanse of Alcohol.

8. - Top - End - #248

MonkGuy

Mathwin takes the drink in one glup. Trying to be calm, but assess everything happening in his body, it takes Mathwin a second to realize that all he drank seemed to be normal red wine.

Anna laughs, "Your fun! I just wanted to see how much of a risk taker you were. And you didn't dissapoint. Good to know that you'd take a drink of poison just to sleep with me. I must return the favor." She leans in to kiss you.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Roll 1d20 if you wish to take Anna upstairs.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Sexy Roll
    Show
    Sexy Roll:(1d20)[3]

10. - Top - End - #250

MonkGuy

Waking up the next morning, Mat recognizes he's in one of Redalfo's room. It's still pretty early in the morning, but he doesn't feel any sickness from the night before. He does remember Anna, they had a pretty good night together, at least on his end. Anna said it seemed like his mind was on something else, so she CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED, to which Mat fell asleep pretty quickly. Waking up, it looks like Anna left without sleeping here. Paranoid as ever, Mat quickly check to make sure all of his belongings are still here, to which he finds nothing missing.

Waking up early is probably a good thing, he has work in a few hours.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat does his best to get ready in a hurry. Rushing to the Wastrel, he fetches his spellbook to do a quick study and then rushes to the Arcanamirium for his scheduled work.

12. - Top - End - #252

MonkGuy

Rushing downstairs, Mat remembers he paid the 2 gold for the room the previous night. He is able to run out the door with no worries of being stopped. Walking quickly through the city, he has time to stop for a quick slab of meat as he walks through the city. It's been awhile since Mathwin has woken up this early, so seeing the city in the early morning is especially different than he is used to, and much quieter.

Mathwin makes it to the Arcanamirium with much time to spare. As he was instructed, he enters the large building and works his way to The Great Library. Once Mat enters, he realizes it isn't as great as some Libraries he has seen, but certainly large in size. Hundreds of books, texts, scrolls and other documents lay in this hall. He is greeted by Lognass, the head librarian. He speaks to you in a slow, but very proper dialect. "Hello Mathwin, it is nice to meet you. We are excited to have some extra help with these texts. Let me tell you a little more of exactly what you'll be doing." From his speech, you can tell this man speaks a great many languages, as you catch different vocal styles and lip movement that are used in different languages you speak.

He leads you into a small, secluded study room, with a small window, mid-sized wooden table, a large stack of parchment, a quill with ink and a pair of glasses. He explains that the glasses are enchanted to give the reader to ability to comprehend all languages. So what this job requires is someone to copy all the text down. They seem to hope to have the initial set of eyes do a lot of the grunt work, but he mentions that the Irrisian tongue has some odd meanings in their words, and they don't always translate well. So he asks to not just copy blindly, but note if something looks odd.

After he explains your task in more detail, he sits you down and an assistant brings in a large sized scroll with black writing on it. They mentioned before that the magic has been dispelled, but it still looks to be evil just by the look. He instructs you that there are 10 scrolls, but there is a lot of writing on them

Lognass asks if you'll need anything else for you work.

Spoiler: Checks
    Show
    When ready, roll Linguistics, knowledge Geography and knowledge history. You may also state any other means to try and complete this task, which will help determine you effectiveness in completing your tasks.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I could use a pitcher of wine to sip whilst transcribing, but otherwise, nothing. Thank you very much, Master Lognass. How shall I contact you if I find anything substantive or requiring immediate attention?" Mat doffs his hat and places it on the table, then sits down with his quill and ink. Putting on the glasses, he glances at the scrolls on the table.

Upon receiving an answer from the Librarian, Mat gets to work. Flaring with amber energy, Mat utilizes a cocktail of low level spells while transcribing the scrolls to try and be as complete as possible in his transcription. In addition to the effects of the glasses, he is constantly under the effects of Read Magic and Detect Magic to catch any magical nuances lingering within the scrolls. Additionally, Mat casts Summarize in order to capture the nuance of the text even though the literal translation may be different.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2015-10-13 at 12:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show
    Linguistics:(1d20+8)[18]
    Knw Geo:(1d20+8)[28]
    Knw Hist:(1d20+10)[27]

15. - Top - End - #255

MonkGuy

Lognass responds, "We do not have wine on campus, but we do serve an herbal tea, I can get my assistant to bring some. As for me, I will be in classes most of the day, but there are librarians who would be able to find me if needed." He thanks you again as he leaves the room.

You settle into your room, wishing you had brought some wine with you and begin looking over the document. The writing is in very strange symbols you obviously don't understand. However, once you put the glasses provided on, the words do not physically change, but your mind is able to understand what the letters are spelling out.

Mat begins by casting his spell, summarizing the Irrisian text onto a normal parchment. As he now has two texts, he feels better about reading both in case there is any magic left in the original text. His eyes do not detect any magic, but Mathwin won't be fooled by these old magic’s. Who knows what could be hidden inside them? As he begins to copy down the text, the assistant brings in a teapot and cup for you, then leaves. The hot tea smells of cinnamon and honey, and tastes very good, but lack that warming quality of wine Mat loves.

As Mat copies the tome late into the day, he is served a meal of chicken and herbs. Being a school, Mat assumed the lunch would be quite ****ty, but he is quite content with the meal. The assistant comes to check on Mathwin throughout the day, but Mat ignores him as he continues working.

By the end of the day, Mathwin is able to translate 4 of the scrolls, and is extremely proud of the work he has accomplished. The scrolls seem to be writing from ancient wizards, who tampered with bringing the undead to life. They spoke of material components that would bring them back stronger, yet wilder. It seems many of the wizards died by the hands of the undead they brought back, unable to control their strength, or at times, numbers. Mathwin was able to cite some Irrisian terms and concepts he remembered from his study as a student, which might have been looked at by other scholar. There was a range of fields that the wizards used to bury their dead, where wizards would try and raise armies in a single spell, and Mathwin was able to recall the Hymbic Dead Fields from an old text he remembered.

The day almost done, Mathwin is approached by the assistant, asking if he was ready to turn in his work for the day.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Draining the remaining tea from his cup, Mat rubs his eyes in disbelief. I can't believe I spent the whole day in here. Ugh, that was rather exhausting. "I think so, lad," Mat says with a sigh. "By chance, do you have my payment for the day? Also, I found references that might be aided by another tome I've crossed in my travels: 'Gregor's Tome of Obedience'. Do you know if that volume exists in this library as it did in the Varisian Academy?"

Although tired, Mat still can't shake the test from yesterday. If this assistant knows anything, great. But if not, then I'll have to be contented wandering blindly about looking for the damnable book.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Bluff Check
    Show
    Bluff Check:(1d20+1)[18]

18. - Top - End - #258

MonkGuy

The assistant thinks for a second, "I don't think I've heard of that tome before... but I would be happy to cross reference it with our records? We have over a thousand books here, maybe I can help you narrow it down?"

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"That would be wonderful! Thank you so much for your help! If it's in the private collection of a student or instructor, would it be a part of your records? If that is the case, I'd prefer to speak to the individual personally, so as not to impose myself."

20. - Top - End - #260

MonkGuy

The assistant nods, then walks away to check his references. The sun is slowly setting on the day, as the light from the windows are starting to fade.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat waits for the assistant and occupies time by walking around the Library, perusing the books and looking for anything interesting.

22. - Top - End - #262

MonkGuy

Mathwin begins walking the library halls of the Arcanamirium. Looking around for anything interesting, he notices a reference for the books listed on the side on one of the bookcases.

You are now in: History
    Spells- Upstairs
    Components- Downstairs
    Kingdoms- South Wing
    Rulers- North Wing
    Gods- East Wing
    Beasts- West wing

An attendent informs the room that the Library will be closing to all members at night within the hour.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat decides to wander close to his research room, hoping that the assistant won't have any trouble finding him. He peruses the titles nearby.

24. - Top - End - #264

MonkGuy

Mat peruses the titles on the shelves in the history section, as not to stray too far from his research room. Looking at the titles, he sees many familiar book about the history of Absolom and other cities, but nothing that raises his suspicion.

As you are looking at the other books, the assistant comes back to you, book in hand. As he shows you the book, you see a black leather bound book, with red writing on the side, which reads, "Gregor's Tome of Obedience." On the front you see a picture of a long red whip, curled and looking vicious. The assistant adds, "I thought about obedience, and figured that it could be a mention to training animals, so I look a look in beasts and managed to find it. I'll go ahead and place it in your room for you to reference tomorrow, since we're closing the library now."

He places the book on the desk and begins to show you the way out.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat thanks the assistant and follows him out of the Library.

26. - Top - End - #266

MonkGuy

The assistant leaves the book on the desk with your research. As he walks you out, you see a few other people leaving the library with you. You exit the library, and see the daylight almost gone. Knowing you get paid at the end of your contract, you exit the school grounds in search of something to occupy your time until tomorrow.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat heads to the nearest open tavern in search of drink and company to occupy his mind. His head is still swimming with questions, but at least one piece of the puzzle has fallen into place.

28. - Top - End - #268

MonkGuy

Mat walks almost instinctively towards Homeroom, a tavern occupied almost exclusively by students of the Arcanamirium. The bar is crowded tonight, as many of the students are celebrating their acceptance into the school. You see a group of young students, whom are levitating small cups of ale and spirits into mouths, in some sort of a drinking game. There are a few students who are spending their evening reading, while still enjoinyg the company of others.
    When you walk in, Charlie, the tall and attractive elf owner sees you, and floats an ale towards to you. She winks as she tends towards other customers. Looking for a place to sit, you an empty table, and a few seats next to reading wizards. In the corner of your eye, you spot Vox sitting towards the back, smoking a long pipe and reading an old text.
    Mat walks almost instinctivly towards Homeroom, a tavern occuplied almost exclusivly by students of the Arcanamirium. The bar is crowded tonight, as many of the students are celebrating their acceptance into the school. You see a group of young students, whom are levitating small cups of ale and spirits into mouths, in some sort of a drinking game. There are a few students who are spending their evening reading, while still enjoinyg the company of others.
    When you walk in, Charlie, the tall and attractive elf owner sees you, and floats an ale towards to you. She winks as she tends towards other customers. Looking for a place to sit, you an empty table, and a few seats next to reading wizards. In the corner of your eye, you spot Vox sitting towards the back, smoking a long pipe and reading an old text.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat lights up his own pipe and sits down next to Vox. "How're you , lad? Spent most of my day in your part of the world. Translating and transcribing in the Library. What are you reading here? Care for another ale? Something stronger?"

30. - Top - End - #270

MonkGuy

Vox looks up at Mathwin, and a tired smile illuminates his face. He offers the chair across from him to you. “It’s been a long few days, with the new students, long classes and tests. All these new students tend to draw the teachers attention, so it gives me more time to prepare for my tests. I hear your now working with the school and those Irrisian texts? I know it seems like tedious work, but it’s always good to go back to your studying roots, right?” He takes a deep breath with his pipe and exhales a long soft breath. “I’m currently good on Ale, thank you. Oh, it occurs to me, did you ever find the book you were looking for? Gregory’s tome… or something was it? I could always ask around the school more, but you’re probably closer to where it would be, in the library.”