New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default PTU: Slated for Glory!

To any normal person, the sound of the morning Pidgey cooing outside their window was their wake up call. For Gwen Slate, it was the incessant buzzing of diaphanous wings. While it was not early morning, quite the opposite. It was nearly noon! And outside young Gwen's window was a familiar (if not particularly attractive) face belonging to Abraxus, her father's Yanmega. Abraxus hovered outside the two story window, lightly disturbing papers and small objects strewn about the room. GUINEVERE! Wake up sweetie! I've got a surprise for you!

Frank, your father, was running towards the house. By the redness of his face and his teetering course, it seems he had been running the entire way. In one hand, he was waiving a bright red envelop with a wax seal.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: PTU: Slated for Glory!

Gwen reaches toward Abraxus, petting the large insect on the snout. "I'm awake, boy... Mostly, I swear..." She should not have stayed up all of last night, but she couldn't sleep!

"What is it!" she calls down from the window, hastily trying to get ready.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Frank huffed up the walkway to the front door on his last breaths. He held up the red letter high in the air as he bent over heaving and sucking in deep lungful of air. He tried to respond, but all that came out was wheezing. Abraxus gently nibbled your hand before descending down to Frank, gingerly grabbing the letter with his mandibles and bringing it back to your window. The letter was solid red, bearing your name in fancy calligraphy. It was sealed with a wax seal in the shape of a pokeball.

After breaking the seal, the letter inside was long winded and filled with lots of mumbo jumbo. But what you did glean was the Pokemon League of Johto was giving you notice of your admission to the ranks of Trainers! You were officially a trainer! Or at least once you got your Starter Pokemon and your License. But wait, wasn't it Professor Oak or Professor Elm who gave out Starter Pokemon? You were sure you'd have heard if either were visiting the small Azalea Town. Everyone knows everyone, and news travels faster by word of mouth than the TV nowadays.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Gwen simply lets out a victorious "WHOO!" as she finishes reading. "Wait, where am I supposed to get my starter, Dad?" she calls down. "Don't region professors normally do that?"

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Inhaling sharply, finally catching his breath, your father explained. The League gave some special permissions to Bugsy and Kurt to give out starter pokemon to the eligible trainers here since Proffessor Elm is stuck in his lab in New Bark, so Bugsy and Kurt picked out one mon each and are going to give them to you and your friend Colby and Kurt's little grandaughter, whats her name, Marie! Sucking in another breath. Apparently there's another man whose supposed to officiate the process whose coming into town, he's supposed to be here by noon and its almost noon, sweetie, so hurry up! Frank inhaled sharply one more time before falling backwards onto his back with a huff, panting as he finally had a chance to rest.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"On it!" He didn't have to tell her twice. Other man? Who would be needed for that? Not important, she'd learn soon enough. To the Gym! ...it was the gym, right?

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

As you got downstairs, your father was just getting back to his feet with the help of Abraxus. Someone associated with the League, you know, to make it all official. They sent me here to get you, but, uh... He trailed off as he looked down the winding road that lead to your house. A small sedan was driving along it at a snail's pace (you were sure you could outrun it). It puttered into the drive and came to a lurching stop. From out the driver's side came old Kurt, who smiled warmly at you and your father.

The passenger side came Bugsy, in his usual 'safari' garb. Heya Frank! Sorry, our guest thought it be wiser to come to see Gwen instead of waiting for her to get out of bed! He smiled good naturedly at you for the rib. The backdoor flung open, with Colby and Marie spilling out, wrestling to see who was the first one out. Technically it was Colby, as he dropped out back first. But Marie was the first to jump to her feet. Ok Grandpa, were all here! We can see the starters now right!? RIGHT!? Colby got out from under the girl (she's only 14, so why was she acting like she was getting a Pokemon?), towering above her and putting his massive mitt on her ponytailed head. Shush. We just got here. You can wait a few more minutes. Besides, I get first dips! Nuh-uh!

During the commotion, the other backdoor opened. A well dressed, elderly man had exited the vehicle and stood between Bugsy and Kurt. Now, now. At least let me introduce myself to Guinevere first. Hello, I'm Mr. Pokemon. While I'm technically retired, I was a League Official in my youth. The League has given me special permissions to authorize and distribute starter pokemon in this instances since a certain Professor is indisposed. He coughed and looked away, before continuing. As such, I have deputized Bugsy and Kurt in this manner. We each have chosen a Pokemon for you three to choose from.

The three men produced pokeballs. True to form, Kurt had a carved apricorn instead of the cold industrial pokeball. It was vivid pink, with a heart. He twisted the bulb as it released the stored pokemon. A small, bipedal pokemon with no legs, that resembled an unbloomed rosebud. A Budew. I choose this pokemon because they are wonderful gardners! They will help cultivate you as a burgeoning trainer.

Bugsy's ball was a camouflage pattern. The pokemon released was tiny, resting on his hairy and barely disturbing it. The small fairy clung tightly to a small flower. I chose Flabebe. I decided to not be typical and not choose a Bug type, but I did choose something that is deceptive. Even the smallest friends should not be underestimated.

Finally, Mr. Pokemon pulled out a solid crimson red pokeball. A small mammal with large ears and blue/black fur came out, meowing softly as it snoozed in the grass. Shinx. An adorable pokemon, if I do say so myself. But it will defend you with its life if you befriend it.

Mary squeed as the pokemon were released and Colby looked antsy. But before either could shout their choice, Mr. Pokemon cleared his throat to draw their attention. Now, children. I had to bare your petty squabbles on the drive here. I feel Guinevere deserves the first choice. Even if it was ultimately her laziness that brought us here in the first place. His tone was matter-of-fact, and non-accusatory.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm..." Shinx were pretty decent on offense, while Flabebe were adorable and really hard to take down. But there was something about the Budew that stuck with her. Maybe it was that little grin on its face, but she liked the flower. "I'll go with this one," she says, gingerly picking up the plant if it lets her.

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The little plant cooed softly as you picked it up, barely opening its eyes as it was roused from its nap. Budew... Kurt nodded solemnly. Mary and Colby dashed forward. Colby picked up the dozing Shinx while Mary gently scooped up the Flabebe. Excellent! Now that that is taken care off, you can have these. Holding out some regular envelopes. Inside are your Trainer Cards. I suggest you do not lose them. Now, Kurt, if you be so kind. I'd like to go back to retirement.

Kurt, who had been silent the entire time nodded, before whispering something in Mary's ear. She nodded back, seeming to fight back tears. Colby was gently petting his Shinx as the grownups climbed back into car. Frank clasped a hand on your shoulder. Well. You 3 are newly fledged trainers. What are you planning on doing now?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, she was wrong. This is the cutest thing ever! "Probably get to know the Pokémon first, see what they can do, then try to see which of us is the strongest trainer!" The Budew gives a small squeak of approval.

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I propose a race! First to get to Goldenrod and claim Whitney's badge wins! READY SET GO! Colby began running down the drive, his new Shinx crying in surprise at the sudden jostling. Mary giggled as she placed the tiny flower on her ear. Well, I'm going to Slowpoke Well first. I want one of those adorable little things. I'll see you in Goldenrod Gwen! She skipped down the drive.

Frank pulled you into a tight, but quick, hug. I love you, sweetie. Hurry along, I don't want to hear Colby beat you to Whitney.

Spoiler
    Show
    GO AND EXPLORE THE WORLD
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"Hey, wait up, we shouldn't go through the forest alone!" Gwen says, running after Colby.

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Colby had already turned onto the main road when he heard you. He skidded to a stop and whipped around. Judge it your right! Duh! smacking himself on the head. Your dad would kill me if I let you go through Ilex without some protection! Well then, hurry up! He began jogging in place.

The walk there was awkward, as Colby kept trying to run ahead, then stopped for you to catch up. Curse his long legs! After passing through the gate house, you entered the familiar forest. Despite it being just past noon, it was dark and cool on the forest floor. Massive sequoias and oaks towered above you, their thick canopies completely blocking the sky ten-fold. While you couldn't see terribly far due to the thick trunks, there was a rough path cut by the Cutman (good guy, though a bit obsessed). Despite Colby's previous exuberance, he's much calmer and more reserved here. You can't help but notice he's fallen just behind your shoulder instead of taking the lead. Uh, I know you've gone in here with your Dad and Bugsy alot. Do you know the path?

Spoiler
    Show
    The cutman's path through the forest is the safest if not the quickest route through the forest. Its also the least likely to find wild pokemon, at least from personal experience. Traveling between the massive tree trunks and through the brush likely will be quicker, so long as you travel the right direction (north). Your father warned against this course of action many times however.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"Well the path is safest. If it weren't for the Weedle and Beedrill, I'd say we just cut north, but... Yeah, not going to tempt fate that way. Just follow the road." Maybe if one of them had a bird or something, but nope.

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Your journey through the forest was painfully slow. The din of rustling leaves, crunching twigs and occasional Bird chirp soon became background noise. Your trip was ultimately uneventful, the most important thing of note was spotting a snoozing Hoothoot which fled before either of you could react. While you couldn't see the sun, the dim light of the forest was rapidly waning to near perfect darkness. Maybe we should stop for the night. While looking for a good spot to camp for the night, you heard a song. It was quiet, you could barely hear it over the rustling leaves. It was coming somewhere from off the path. Colby seemed to be ignorant of its beautiful sound.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Hang on... Can you hear that?" She looks down at the Budew. "You heard it, right?"
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2015-08-19 at 08:13 PM.

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Heard what? Colby looked around confused. The little Budew however started waddling towards the sound with as much hustle its tiny legs can manage. If you don't stop it, it'll be off the path in moments.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"Let your Shinx out and follow the waddling Budew," she says, not stopping the Budew but not letting it get too much of a lead.

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Colby looked at you like you were an idiot, but followed your direction anyway. The Shinx, now much livilier than before dashed after the Budew and soon surpassed it. While the two of you tried to follow, the Shinx was soon out of sight, being able to squeeze around massive roots easier than the big humans (and faster than the tiny Budew). Luckily, before Colby could blame you for losing his starter in less than 12 hours, the tree's cleared as the two of you stumbled into a small clearing. Unlike the path, which was clearly made by removing trees, this clearing was natural and filled with low lieing flowers.

Sitting near the edge of the clearing was Colby's Shinx. In the center of the clearing was a small wooden structure that looked like a tiny wooden hut, with a small enclave instead of a small door. What looked like various berries were placed in the enclave. Sitting infront of the tiny-hut was a beautiful women in a long, floral dress. She was playing a harp, which must be the music you heard. She hasn't seemed to have noticed you yet.

Spoiler: EDU General 4
    Show
    The girl must be a Kimono Girl from Ecruteak, based on the fact she's wearing a Kimono.

Spoiler: EDU Occult 6
    Show
    The shrine is known as the Forest Shrine. People used to pay tribute their for good luck passing through the forest.
    Spoiler: Occult 8
    Show
    It is said the shrine is watched over by Celebi and if Celebi enjoys your tribute, will bless your journey through the forest ensuring you leave unharmed
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"Hello," Gwen says, lowering her head to the woman before picking up her Budew. "Out Pokémon heard you playing. It's getting late. What are you doing out here?"

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

The Kimono Girl inhaled sharply, as you startled her. She stopped playing and turned to look at the two of you. You couldn't make out her face in the darkness, but that was soon remedied as she light a lantern sitting next to her feet. Forgive me. I was simply paying my respects to the shrine. I did not hear your approach. She bowed low, then smiled warmly at you. I'm here on a pilgrimage. It is late now isn't it. Do you have shelter with you? I have some but it is only sufficient for myself.

She stood up, picking up a large pack with her. Despite its apparent weight, her moves were immaculate and graceful. I would gladly spend the night with the two of you, though I do ask you do not camp within the grove itself. It is disrespectful of the Spirit of the Forest the shrine is dedicated to. She seemed innocent, though you noticed she danced over your question and changed the subject quickly.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure. We were just going to camp by the roadside, honestly. What's the pilgrimage for?" Gwen asks as she turns to leave the sacred ground.

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

As she slung her pack onto her back, she scurried towards the direction you came from. Oh just a rite of passage. Kinda weird for you to be here alone. I thought the Kimono Girls were all in Ecruteak.

Spoiler: Intuition 6
    Show
    She's lieing.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"But what about? What is the rite for?" She looks back over to Colbey. "Yeah, but Ekruteak isn't that far away. It's a more reasonable distance than what we plan for our own rite, after all."

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

It is complicated and I am tired. Once we reach the road, we should retire. Colby elbowed you in the ribs. Shhh dude! She obviously doesn't want to talk about it!
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"Fine..." She looks down at the Budew in her arms. "Stay. I'm going to set up our tent." Setting the Pokémon down, she watches it. "Right there, stay. Don't wander off." By the time the others are done setting up, Gwen is probably only half way done, between watching the Budew and having trouble actually setting the structure up.

But finally, she is done. "Should someone watch for Pokémon or people that might come by in the night?" Gwen asks with a yawn.

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't you say the path was safest? Stay up if you like, I'm going to bed. Colby climbed into his tent, though it seemed it was a hair too small as his feet stuck out the entrance. The Kimonon Girl just smiled before retiring to her (rather large) tent. She wasn't very honest about her lodging.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make 3 perception checks regardless if you stay up or not.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Gwen shrugs, and starts working on collecting stones to make a small fire... After which she realizes she has nothing to start it with. "I still have yet to name you..." She says, looking down at the flower Pokémon. "What will stick well... Can't call you Sprout, you'll grow out of it... Fireweed. That's your name. Grows fast, hard to take down." The Budew looks at Gwen like she's on something, but then smiles. Sure, call me some arbitrary name!

Gwen tries her best to stay up, but eventually retires to her tent, to tired to bother Colbey to wake up for watch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[9]
    (3d6)[10]
    (3d6)[16]

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

You doze off to sleep with little effort, the excitement and travel sapping the last of your consciousness.

However, your rest is disrupted in the middle of the night. The sound of brush rustling, twigs snapping. By the volume, it had to be something bigger than the typical curious wild pokemon. You strain to hear anything more. A tense 10 seconds pass but you hear nothing but the silence of the night and a lone Noctowl's cry. Just as you were about to turn over and go back to sleep, you hear hushed whispering coming form outside your tent.

She's supposed to be alone!
    I know, dude, I know!
    What are we gonna do?
    Shuttit! You'll wake 'em. Just get ready. I'll get the one on the left, you get the one on the right. Don't touch the girl.

Spoiler: Intuiton 3
    Show
    'the girl' is the Kimono Girl, not you

Spoiler: Clarification
    Show
    Bold and Bold/Italics are two separate voices.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Gwen shakes Fireweed awake. "You touch me and I'll scream!" she yells into the night. "Who the heck are you!?" By now the girl is scrambling out of her bag, peeking from the tent.

Show