New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The Grandeur of Delusions - A PF Mesmerist Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Ugh, Moonlight Stalker.. not a great fan of it.
    Hmmm, not a fan even with free combat expertise and blur at my disposal? The only downside is the 13 INT, but I actually enjoy the bonus skill points. Using the Half-Giant racial bonuses I can make ability the spread work.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

The new Magic Tactics Toolbox includes this for melee damage focused Mesmerists:
    Manifold stare (combat, stare)
    Your hypnotic gaze causes tremendous pain in its victims. Prerequisites: Mesmerist level 3rd, painful stare class feature.
    Benefit: You can trigger your painful stare one additional time per round.
    Special: This feat can be taken once by a 3rd-level mesmerist, and again when he reaches 9th and 15th levels. Its effects stack. A mesmerist can take this feat in place of a bold stare improvementOA.
    With TWF or haste you can eventually apply your painful stare to four attacks per round.
    Last edited by Slithery D; 2016-05-30 at 10:34 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

The swapping-clause is the interesting part of it, making it viable with a regular short-range archery build.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know why Ready for Battle is considered to be so low. It doesn't scale sure.. But It can give your entire team (How many tricks you have) all +2 to init.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slithery D View Post
    The new Magic Tactics Toolbox includes this for melee damage focused Mesmerists:

With TWF or haste you can eventually apply your painful stare to four attacks per round.
    Oooh, that's very good. I'll have to add that to the guide, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    The swapping-clause is the interesting part of it, making it viable with a regular short-range archery build.
    Yeah, not digging into the Mesmerist's already tight skills is a big bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    I don't know why Ready for Battle is considered to be so low. It doesn't scale sure.. But It can give your entire team (How many tricks you have) all +2 to init.
    Eh, I stand by it. It starts of objectively worse than Improved Initiative, and never gets better than a trait for each target. If it was like... a first level spell, it'd be solid, but there are plenty of other feats I'd rather have.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the guide!

I'm curious about the Fey Trickster: fun flavor and it takes the class in a very different direction.

What are your thoughts? Anyone play it yet?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

False Flanker - rogues especially love this trick, as it makes their sneak attack go off. This also means that a rogue dip (with accomplished sneak attacker feat) is a good choice for a melee mesmerist, letting you flank with yourself.

Psychosomatic Surge - a useful trick is to implant this between combats and then immediately activate it (by using a weak attack to deal 1 nonlethal damage to your ally). The temp HP last for one hour, and now you can implant another trick for usage in combat.

I think you're undervaluing Shadow Splinter. Causing enemy damage and infighting as a free action is amazing, and you know you've got good save DCs.

Martial Weapon Proficiency - there's a trait (Heirloom Weapon) that does the same thing.

Medium Armor Prof - if you're going the spellcasting route, you can wear armor without being proficient in it. It will only penalize attacks and physical skill checks, so if you're not planning on using those...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #98

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Martial Weapon Proficiency - there's a trait (Heirloom Weapon) that does the same thing.
    Heirloom Weapon only gives benefits with the specific (and non-masterwork so you can't enchant or otherwise upgrade it) weapon you start the game with, not all weapons of that type, so it's definitely not like the feat.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Heirloom Weapon only gives benefits with the specific (and non-masterwork so you can't enchant or otherwise upgrade it) weapon you start the game with, not all weapons of that type, so it's definitely not like the feat.
    You can upgrade it. Masterwork transformation spell, pay someone to cast it if you lack a caster.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

What Stack said - have someone cast MW Transform for you. Many characters do spend their entire career with one weapon, so Heirloom Weapon is at least a viable alternative (and a trait is cheaper than a feat, after all).

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Does anyone have any advice on how to actually play a mesmerist? I'm planning on being one but it will be my first time playing any kind of magical character, so what should i be looking to do in combat? what spells? and any neat stuff to do out of combat?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Do you have any suggestions on playing a vexing daredevil and dealing with mindless creatures? I've seen many people say that Painful Stare is a mind-effecting ability (which by RAW it is not, and is not by my RAI). If a GM interpreted it in that way, would a vexing daredevil have any recourse, or do they just have to suck it up?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Do you have any suggestions on playing a vexing daredevil and dealing with mindless creatures? I've seen many people say that Painful Stare is a mind-effecting ability (which by RAW it is not, and is not by my RAI). If a GM interpreted it in that way, would a vexing daredevil have any recourse, or do they just have to suck it up?
    By RAW this is mostly correct, as "Creatures that are immune to effects that require a Fort save (such as constructs and undead) are immune to pain effects."

14. - Top - End - #104

Planetar

Where's that, Ultimate Magic? Also, Painful Stare isn't a pain effect; yeah, it should be, but then again, hexes are not curse effects either.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Painful Stare isn't a pain effect
    LOL, don't be silly. This is a roleplaying game, not an exercise in bureaucratese.

16. - Top - End - #106

Planetar

As I said, it isn't. If you have an ability that boosts the DC of a pain effect, it would not apply to painful stare. Just like hexes aren't curse effects, even the ones that are specifically called 'curse of _____'.

17. - Top - End - #107

MindFlayer

It doesn't matter if Painful Stare is a mind-affecting ability or a pain effect.
    Painful Stare (Su): When an attack that deals damage hits the target of a mesmerist’s hypnotic stare
    Hypnotic Stare itself is a mind-affecting effect. If you can't target it with Hypnotic Stare, you can't affect it with Painful Stare. So things immune to mind-affecting are immune to Painful Stare through immunity to Hypnotic Stare.

I suppose you could find a bad GM who would let you "target" something immune to the ability and tack on the Painful Stare rider, in which case enjoy bashing down doors better than anyone else, too.
    Last edited by Slithery D; 2016-08-31 at 09:46 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Planetar

But you can target any creature with hypnotic stare. At 10th level, the vexing daredevil receives Greater Mesmerizing Feint as a bonus feat, explicitly ignoring the prerequisites (which include the psychic inception bold stare, which vexing daredevils cannot get). It says that the subject of your hypnotic stare may be fainted, even though it cannot normally be done. If a mesmerist cannot target an immune creature with their stare, then the bonus feat is useless.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

"X must be true because otherwise ability Y is bad" is a fallacy. Some abilities are just bad.

Slithery is correct, it doesn't work on creatures immune to mind-affecting.

20. - Top - End - #110

Planetar

That fallacy doesn't apply, since it's not that it doesn't work as intended, it's that it doesn't work at all. I wouldn't be arguing this is the the rules didn't support what I am saying.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

It doesn't matter if Painful Stare is a mind-affecting ability or a pain effect.

Hypnotic Stare itself is a mind-affecting effect. If you can't target it with Hypnotic Stare, you can't affect it with Painful Stare. So things immune to mind-affecting are immune to Painful Stare through immunity to Hypnotic Stare.

I suppose you could find a bad GM who would let you "target" something immune to the ability and tack on the Painful Stare rider, in which case enjoy bashing down doors better than anyone else, too.
    What I am about to say is a strict interpretation of RAW and kinda spits in RAI's face, but nothing in the text from immunity to mind affecting prevents you from targeting them with an effect that is mind affecting. And all painful stare requires is that you are targeting them with your hypnotic stare ability.

So while its silly, it should still work unless im missing some part of the rules that say you cannot be the target of something you are immune to.

Its like creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits, you still TECNICALLY crit, they are just immune to the extra damage.

22. - Top - End - #112

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Deadkitten View Post
    What I am about to say is a strict interpretation of RAW and kinda spits in RAI's face, but nothing in the text from immunity to mind affecting prevents you from targeting them with an effect that is mind affecting. And all painful stare requires is that you are targeting them with your hypnotic stare ability.

So while its silly, it should still work unless im missing some part of the rules that say you cannot be the target of something you are immune to.

Its like creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits, you still TECNICALLY crit, they are just immune to the extra damage.
    Reviewing Hypnotic Stare and Painful Stare critically, I agree with you, RAW this works, the only thing you have to do is (1) "target" (but not necessarily affect) a creature with Hypnotic Stare and (2) it has to be vulnerable to precision damage for Painful Stare to apply damage.

23. - Top - End - #113

Planetar

If I were making house rules, in addition to fixing Painful Stare so it is explicitly a mind-affecting and a pain effect, I'd give the vexing daredevil a Psychic Inception-lite ability. Between 3-7 if I was being generous, at level 10 if I was being stingy.

24. - Top - End - #114

MindFlayer

Psychic Anthology just came out and has some stare feats (blindness, confusion, remove dex to armor), some new trick feats (enhance flexibility/sharing of tricks in various ways, including a really stupid powerful spell contingency trick effect), and four archetypes (three good, one LOL bad).

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    Eh, I stand by it. It starts of objectively worse than Improved Initiative, and never gets better than a trait for each target. If it was like... a first level spell, it'd be solid, but there are plenty of other feats I'd rather have.
    It would stack with a Trait and Stack with Improved Init and stack with the 1st level spells. If it was a first level spell, it would have a duration of a minute per level (As shown by the spells that do in fact give an init bonus at level 1) . As in you'd need to know when your about to get into the combat to be able to even use it. This is pretty tricky thing to do at level 1 and still often just as tricky in later levels.

And even beyond the duration of the spell, you'd still be taking up one of your first level spell slots known and have to use one of your few spells per day. Which would end up making a solid skip.

As the feat would give your entire party about a 10% chance of going before the enemy. Which means you could all wail on a single target before he gets a chance to go, preventing you from taking damage from things like sneak attack as well as keeping your AC up to full rather than flatfooted ac. As well as being able to score sneak attacks, get your stare in place sooner, etc.

Unlike a Trait or Imp Init as well, if each member of your party has a fairly effective method of controlling the encounter, The more party members you dole out tricks to the higher the overall chances that one of them will be able to go first and throw out their encounter control tactic. With more being able to go first, the more encounter control tactics could be used resulting in a more controlled encounter.

But I guess I could see where if you were using up your tricks faster than a silly rabbit, or horde them to yourself like a dragon, that it could seem more underwhelming.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello,

first of all, great guide. thanks for making me discover this really nice class. I hope you'll add the most recent features soon.

I have a suggestion for the saddist lash. instead of trying to convince your GM to make it a scorpion whip, you can sacrifice two feat slots (harsh, i know) to take weapon focus (whip) and then whip mastery. This feat enable you to do lethal damage with a whip and also to damage foes with armor and natural armor.

hope it has not been already said.