New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: steinulfr's Reign of Winter (IC)

Aeghis had been following silently, a little hangover went a long way to keep him quiet even more so than usual."those fey sure were a pain back north, luckily I never saw one but my mama used to talk about the dangers of fighting them. She was a brave one, lost an eye protecting the village and her left hand to frosbite" he then stood quiet, his eyes watering a little at the memories.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

"Lady Argentea never broke off her betrothal," the man growls. "She never even saw her betrothed! I know not what you are speaking of, dwarf, but I know that it is not what happened."

Tessaraea, who has been sitting quietly in the corner of the room, speaks up at this. "If she was dragged into the forest, then she would not have made it to Zimar. Perhaps the rumor mill took that and turned it into this story of a broken engagement."

The wounded man grunts. "Aye, perhaps. In any case, I fought the fey in the woods to the south. The ones that are freezing cold."
    Please don't capitalize my name.

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by steinulfr View Post
    "Lady Argentea never broke off her betrothal," the man growls. "She never even saw her betrothed! I know not what you are speaking of, dwarf, but I know that it is not what happened."

Tessaraea, who has been sitting quietly in the corner of the room, speaks up at this. "If she was dragged into the forest, then she would not have made it to Zimar. Perhaps the rumor mill took that and turned it into this story of a broken engagement."

The wounded man grunts. "Aye, perhaps. In any case, I fought the fey in the woods to the south. The ones that are freezing cold."
    Can you please be more specific with how far south.? Alexis noticing that it can be a lot longer to get her information because of him getting upset decides to be very persuasive.

[Hopefully] (1d20+7)[21] diplomacy
    I'm a new player to this site and if you can help me with some of the tools and info that is common hat would be nice thanks.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

"Six miles south, give or take," the man says in response to Alexis's question. "Though I cannot say how much further the Lady was taken. I did not make it far from the northern edge of the forest before I was forced to flee or die."

5. - Top - End - #65

Smiling Alexis saysWell I will go and take a look. and see if there is anything. Woth that Alexis turns and leaves heading south to where he said it took place.
    I'm a new player to this site and if you can help me with some of the tools and info that is common hat would be nice thanks.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aeghis comes out and takes flight following Alexis closely from the sky "she ought to need protection" he thougth while grabing his crossbow to have it handier.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2015-09-14 at 03:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    Aeghis comes out and takes flight following Alexis closely from the sky "she ought to need protection" he thougth while grabing his crossbow to have it handier.
    I don't believe we meet She says towards the Aeghis I'm Alexis and not used to traveling with others but it can help. I guess She says unsure because she never traveled with anyone but her dad and demon friends.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aeghis glides to the ground and smiles "we have not, but you came to ask the man questions so I figured you at least knew the halfling that brougt the group together" he looks around reaching with his hand to find something, then he opened his eyes wide and turned back to Alexis.

"can you wait here for a minute or two" he says then rushing flying towards town and coming back as quickly as he could, a mule following him closely "all ready lets go"

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    Aeghis glides to the ground and smiles "we have not, but you came to ask the man questions so I figured you at least knew the halfling that brougt the group together" he looks around reaching with his hand to find something, then he opened his eyes wide and turned back to Alexis.

"can you wait here for a minute or two" he says then rushing flying towards town and coming back as quickly as he could, a mule following him closely "all ready lets go"
    Alexis looks sad for a moment. But then takes off her winter coat with a shudder and a cold wave of air hit her small frame. Underneath the coat though there were lots of tiny blades and equipment that doesn't seem suitable for a fighter. Her clothes underneath are jet black reaching into her coat she pulls out another cloth of the same color and wraps it around her face. Looking at the half she throws her coat to him. And then disappears saying Im going to be up ahead a little bit I will still hear you I just don't like walking into a trap.
    Alexis is staying 50 ft ahead of the group.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"that was rude" he proceeds to place the coat in one of the cleaner pockets of sara´s saddle and then keeps going forward, and whispering to Sara "well, this just got a lot less fun, ain´t that right girl?" he pats her head and keeps walking in the general direction she left.

Spoiler: celestine
    Show
    I was actually thinking myself that what she did was rude until I renembered my guy had just brought a pack animal on a stealth mission

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

It was a good thing that Terhe's skin was already quite pale - otherwise it would had instantly bewrayed her fright as her face lost what colour it still had. It was a good thing that the rest of that skin was covered by so heavy clothing - otherwise claws of her owl, who shared the feeling, would had torn it and drew blood from her shoulder. It was a good thing that the staff in her own grasp was made of solid oak - otherwise it could break into splinters under her fingers. To think of it, her life was full of good things, helping her endure everything that the fate had for her. It only made the struggle more amusing. She just never could actually escape that fate - not, as it turned out, even so far from homeland, where just hearing the word was entirely unexpected. And yet, the word was spoken and heard.

"Fey". "Cold" and "of the north" were words for the land that knew something else; back in the Irrisen, there was no need to specify something so omnipresent, like there was no need to say "snow" or "air". Back in the Feyfrost, "fey" was an unspoken word too; it was unwise to evoke the name of something what you would not like to summon. Back... but now, Terhe caught herself thinking that she might have to abandon the word "back" too. Whence the man was, his people only spoke the tales of faerie cold; whence she left, hers lived in these tales. And, no matter how far she fled, the difference between "whence" and "whither" thawed away, like tracks under blizzard. The accursed word unerringly followed her, eager to tie her back to the tale - and, perhaps, she had to turn back... no, turn face to the cold and faerie world.

"He is a mighty warrior, who can slay such a foe", - after long pondering while others asked their questions, young witch finally spoke too, starting with what was as much a honest praise to the man's valor as a cautionary reminder to herself. - "Your lady is lucky to have a protector so strong. You endured their cold and told your tale; rest assured that it was not in vain." She paused, looking at other listeners who had not just ran away as soon as they heard the general direction. Was there something else to be asked about those whom the man fought? Most likely; but Terhe already knew how the stories about them used to go. And so, instead of prying into past, she turned to the future; and instead of local tongue, her voice switched to much more familiar, sonorous northern Skald: "When your lady will ask, who had braved all foes and sent help to her, what name shall be given to her?"
    Last edited by Segrain; 2015-09-14 at 06:51 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

The man pauses for a few seconds, seemingly in shock, before replying to Terhe. When he does, he is also speaking a more northern tongue than those in Heldren are accustomed to.

Spoiler: Skald
    Show
    "My name is Yuln Oerstag, son of Erik Greycloak." He hesitates briefly before continuing. "I think that your people and mine have not been friends. But I do not forget my debts, not even to a witch. And I owe you a debt."

13. - Top - End - #73

Husk listened to the witch speak nodding at her praise of him. If the man before them had survived such an attack he deserved it, he only wished that he were so elegant with words as to speak so well. When Terhe and the man slip into a tongue foreign to his ears he squints his eyes and looks back and forth between the two. Going by their tone, it sounded like they'd just continued with their conversation, but then why switch languages? After what Terhe had done last night Husk finally decided to let the matter drop, resolving to keep an eye on her and ask her about the exchange when he wouldn't be interrupting.

After a momentary pause in their words Husk breaks into the conversation. "You fought well sonny, that's all we can ask of any warrior. But now you need time to rest. Before you do though, now that we know we're fighting those frozen fey we need to know what they call their territory. If you can remember, where on the trail was your caravan attacked?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Everybody's speaking skaid but me I feel like left out of the club. :(
    Last edited by TheMiningDwarf; 2015-09-15 at 07:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    I hear Rich Burlew grinds people's bones to make his bread.

Maybe someday I'll say something clever enough to be sigged, nah probably not

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The man pauses for a few seconds, seemingly in shock, before replying to Terhe. When he does, he is also speaking a more northern tongue than those in Heldren are accustomed to.

Show
    "My name is Yuln Oerstag, son of Erik Greycloak." He hesitates briefly before continuing. "I think that your people and mine have not been friends. But I do not forget my debts, not even to a witch. And I owe you a debt."
    Yoren takes off his helm and places both hands on his hammer, leaning upon the head as he stares at the man.

Show
    "Let them come, until the frost of this winter falls and all winters that come after, you have my word to protect your lands and lady from these fey, Yuln Oerstag, son of Erik Greycloak," Yoren towards both Yuln and Terhe.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

As the discussion continues, Mellio's headache gradually lessens. At the talk of fey, she visibly pales.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Celestine~ View Post
    Well I will go and take a look. and see if there is anything.
    Mellio quickly puts a hand up, not exactly stopping the woman, but making her presence known, at least. "Woah, lady! I know a thing or two about these people he's talking about, and believe me, they're not to be trifled with lightly! You're gonna want company if you want to go poking around in that hornet's nest!

Show
    Mellio's eyes widen, in what develops into pure awe. "You speak Skald?!" she asks, in a hushed whisper. When two of her newfound companions respond in kind, it's all she can do to keep from falling over.

Show
    "This is incredible! The fates must have brought us here to be your support in this time of trouble! Do not worry, Master Oerstag. We will find Lady Argentea. If the Gods will it, we will return her safely to you."

With a solemn bow, she leaves the man's side, eyes still wide with excitement at what she's just witnessed.

Show
    I suspect combat is coming up soon, and while it may not be super amazing, my arcane school focus allows me to act in every surprise round- even when one wouldn't normally happen.

16. - Top - End - #76

Terhe nodded to Yuln's words, but her face only frowned heavily, and her fingers only tightened the grip on her staff. Of course, he had to call her... by that word. And, of course, somebody else just so happened to actually speak their tongue too. At least they were not paying too much attention; still, there was no reason to drag this any further - just out of politeness, if not for any personal reason. "My apologies, mistress", - young witch sighed, turning to Tessaraea. - "I only intended to exchange greetings."

Luckily, there was something else to what attention could be turned. Something actually said in the local tongue - but on the subject that people in these lands should not had knew all that well. That was interesting, and that was worrying; and witches' apprentices did not survive to become proper witches by ignoring worrying things. "And... just what are these thing or two that you know about them, little one?" - Terhe turned to Mellio, trying to ignore her comment about the fate.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Mellio looks up from the doorway. "Oh, me?" Her face suddenly lights up with ecstasy at the attention.

"Oh, you know. Just this and that. I am,- well, until recently... was, I guess... a caravan guard. And I like to make it a point to knowing things, so.... Anyway, the fey have something of a reputation for being funloving tricksters. While it's not exactly wrong, per say, the common knowledge fails to address precisely what these fey consider to be 'fun.' For starters, that- she points to the frostbitten warrior- "looks like a grand old time to most of these fey. They'll burn your fingers from your hands with ice, just to watch the funny faces you make as numbness and excruciating pain fight over your attention. Then..." The small woman continues talking, at a spectacular rate, largely until someone interrupts her.

Show
    If Steinulfr prefers,
    (1d20+8)[27] (arcana, geography, local, or nature- whichever is most appropriate)

18. - Top - End - #78

Husk's attention drifted away from the conversation in the strange language he could not understand. When Mellio finally started speaking common again he turned and focused on her. So it's Skaid they're speaking then? He thinks. He listens to the tiny woman ramble on and on about how horrible these fey creatures are. After about a solid minute of uninterrupted talking. Husk put his hand on her shoulder to break her out of her gabbing trance. "I just have one question for you. These fey that froze this man, how do you think they would feel about fire?"

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Anyway, the fey have something of a reputation for being funloving tricksters.
    Terhe listened carefully and closely. If Yuln's tale was at all close to the truth, people in these lands were not quite familiar with things that in the north were known even to children. And this child - or whomever she actually was - introduced herself as a mere guard. Far from position to know anything, if they are not a common threat against which guards have to be used. Yet, strange woman's words sounded reasonable so far - although something was worrying in them, and the witch kept listening with full attention.
    common knowledge fails to address precisely what these fey consider to be 'fun.'
    Terhe frowned. Somebody who actually knew anything about them should had been more careful. Of course, stories existed to be told, and they were told to teach, but those who learn from tales quickly learn about tales too. They had their own power. Deeds of heroes lived in them, and so did the dangers that the heroes braved; and they were not to be mentioned lightly. Fairytales had rules of their own, too; and somebody who spoke so knowingly about those who gave those tales their name should had understand the strength in the names. Yet...
    grand old time to most of these fey.
    "Enough!" - Terhe hissed, her voice barely rising above whispering, and yet it was a shout in the same time. Towering over the halfling, she barely could keep her hands on her staff; and the staff in her hands was shaking. - "You said "a thing or two". You did not say anything about mentioning them thrice", - with an exasperated sign, the witch managed to force herself to take a step back, out of the dwarf's way, and take a look around. They were in the building that probably could be considered a witch's hut in this land, perhaps everything was not going to turn out so bad... but if it was, Terhe knew whom she was going to blame.

"Tell him", - she sighed again, resting her head against her staff, - "anyway, you started it already... and let us be on our way. Stories do not become any worse if told while walking."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

It seems as though Yuln has fallen asleep again, but after Terhe interrupts Mellio he speaks up. "Fire and iron," he says, not opening his eyes. "Cold iron and hot flame to fight the winter-touched. And listen to the w...the woman; she knows what she's talking about. There are things you don't talk about if you're wise, and there are names I wouldn't say once, let alone thrice in one breath."

South of Heldren, it's a long walk through the fields to where Lady Argentea's group was apparently attacked on the road near Border Wood. As you move across the fields, the temperature grows noticeably colder, until the air feels chilly at the site of the actual attack.

There's no question when you reach that site. The road is littered with debris and corpses of both men and horses. One carriage stands in the middle of the road, while another lies overturned and broken near the edge of the trees. To the south, closer to the forest, more bodies have fallen around what appears to be a statue of ice. The ground is covered in a light dusting of snow, making it easy to see a trail leading past the statue. The trail leads through a small copse of trees and across a snowy plain toward the Border Wood.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

KEY:
    A1 Overturned carriage
    A2 Intact carriage
    A3 Statue of ice
    A4 Beginning of trail

Show
    You can take the time to shop in Heldren before you leave if you want. In addition to the apothecary there are a general store and a blacksmith in town.

When you do reach the site of the attack, you are approaching from the top of the map.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Mellio suddenly snaps her mouth shut- almost audibly by the sheer vacuum of sound her voice leaves behind. "Sorry, I... Guess I always have more to learn?," she says, cowed.

As they walk again, she is unusually quiet for some time, not knowing what she should and shouldn't discuss.

"Woah." She breaks the silence when they see the wrecked caravan for the first time. "Well... it looks about how I'd expect. Truth be told, I wasn't sure I should have believed that man... This is strange. This is really, really strange.

And by strange, I mean bad.
    "

She carefully moves closer to the still upright carriage, waiting for several seconds between each (tiny) step. [If anyone moves to approach more quickly, she will let them, but if not, she will get there within 5 or 6 rounds worth of time.]

Show
    (1d20+2)[9] perception
    (1d20+4)[16] stealth if it can be applied.

22. - Top - End - #82

Husk smiles when he hears the fey hate fire. "Fire is something I can provide." He says a spark of bloodlust in his eyes.

-------

After seeing the slaughter in front of him Husk says a prayer for the poor souls that didn't make it out of the battle. "These fey.. I've no sympathy for them after seeing this." Husk says quietly. Husk looks around for any signs of movement gripping his blade in it's sheathe his knuckles turning white from how tightly he's gripping it.

Show
    Perception check: (1d20+4)[19]

23. - Top - End - #83

After saying her farewells to Yuln and Tessaraea, Terhe stayed silent and sullen for long time. She had much to ponder, and even though she already made her decision, it was far from being an easy one. The owl, perched on her shoulder as always, was used to her mistress's stride, but this time even she every so often opened her eyes to exchange a gloomy gaze with the witch and go back to sleeping again. Terhe was worried, and having to adjust to walking with a halfling and two dwarves only made her even less at peace with everything that already happened or was still waiting to happen. But, at least, this way she had some time for her thoughts.

As the air around them was turning colder, Terhe's mood seemed to slowly improve. After having to endure the summer heat, familiar scent of the fresh snow was a welcome change. But the sight that came with it was much less relaxing - even if not entirely unfamiliar too. Wreckage and bodies around it only got a short glance from the witch - nothing about them seemed too strange. But the ice statue... as soon as Terhe saw it, she herself froze in place for several heartbeats.

"I can only agree, little one. Say, do you happen to also know what is that?" - Terhe's staff pointed at the statue and the bodies around it, and the witch again stood unmoving for some time before returning it to the ground. - "You... do not have ice sculptures in "summer" in this land, right?" - lightly tapping the owl's talons with her own fingers, young witch once again awoke her companion and carefully took the first step forward. Not interested much in carriages, she nonetheless stopped between them and looked around - and then turned to the statue, taking a long and very careful look at it before even thinking about approaching any further.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

As she starts to get close to the intact carriage, Mellio hears a sort of quiet scraping sound coming from within, almost like someone is inside the carriage trying to get out.

Husk sees nothing moving and no signs of life anywhere in the site of the massacre.

As she looks at the statue of ice, Terhe sees that it isn't actually a statue at all, but a man encased in ice. Or, rather, most of a man; multiple chunks have been carved away and now lie on the ground at his feet, slowly melting.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Mellio lets out a short cry. "There's someone here! In the carriage!" She leaves behind all pretense of stealth to rush to the aid of whoever is trapped within.

26. - Top - End - #86

Upon hearing Melio shout Husk rushes over, knowing that it must be serious for the halfling to use so few words. "Let me do it." Husk stops Melio from getting near with an outstretched arm. "I'm stronger than you and if it is something less than friendly you'll watch my back." Husk explains and starts to push the carriage over so whatever is inside can get out. His face showing his fear of accidentally freeing some monster.
    Last edited by TheMiningDwarf; 2015-09-19 at 08:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aeghis stood behind them all, charging his crossbow and preparing to fire to protect Husk "got your back dwarf"

28. - Top - End - #88

"There is a lot of someones outside the carriage too..." - Terhe muttered, staring at the statue with a mix of fright and hatred on her face. - "Or... did you mean someone still alive?.. Who?" - recoiling thence where she stood, the witch circled around the carriage to stop behind the dwarf and the halfling, giving a very confused glance to Aeghis as she passed by him. That was certainly not the creature of any kind that she had ever met, but for now her interest had froze to the carriage - thankfully, she could easily look over the heads of the shorter people in front of her. Statue for now could be ignored - even if it was still alive inside (a possibility that the girl from Feyfrost could not dismiss as easily as she would had liked to do it), then it could wait for a bit more. Somebody still warm and breathing after what happened... that was strange. And she knew how to treat strange things.
    Last edited by Segrain; 2015-09-19 at 06:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"See anything?" Yoren nods at Aeghis, hefting his hammer upon his back before walking over to the carriage. "Give it 'ere," Yoren takes a quick look around before giving the spear a sharp yank at the haft.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+3)[20]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

As Yoren pulls the spear out through the handles of the door, the doors of the carriage immediately fall open. A pair of humans instantly rush out, but it's obvious even at a glance that there's something very wrong with them. One of them has a crimson smile carved under his chin; the hole flaps open and closed obscenely as he moves, slashed open to the spine. The other's chest is dented inwards where something struck her with awful force; a tear in her shirt shows that the flesh is ripped open underneath, and you can see into her chest cavity.

Despite the obviously lethal wounds, both of them are still up and moving. As they tumble out of the carriage, one swings an arm in a clumsy strike at Yoren, while the other attacks Husk.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    Slam against Yoren: (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[9]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+4)[9]
    Critical damage: (1d6+4)[5]

Slam against Husk: (1d20+4)[9]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[7]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+4)[18]
    Critical damage: (1d6+4)[10]

Spoiler: Knowledge (religion) DC 15
    Show
    Both of them are zombies. Among the weakest of undead, zombies are almost always created and controlled by spellcasters. Left to their own devices, they're mindlessly destructive, attacking anyone and everyone they encounter.

Though strong and relatively tough, zombies are exceedingly stupid. They're also slower than would be expected.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    The initiative order is as follows:
    Mellio, Yoren, Terhe
    Zombies
    All PCs
    Zombies
    etc.
    Last edited by ylvathrall; 2015-09-19 at 11:13 PM.