New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Being Everything: Eggynack's Comprehensive Druid Handbook

I found a spell you left out: Flame Sands, from here. Imagine if Call Lightning were a ranged touch attack that dealt 2–3x as much damage and didn't allow spell resistance. And kicker, it's a move action each round instead of a standard action.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I found a spell you left out: Flame Sands, from here. Imagine if Call Lightning were a ranged touch attack that dealt 2–3x as much damage and didn't allow spell resistance. And kicker, it's a move action each round instead of a standard action.
    nice find! gonna add to my current druid for game play!
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

3. - Top - End - #663
    Troll in the Playground

Where are you getting that it's a move action each round? Isn't "1 action" 3.0 speak for standard action? Honestly, I'd read it as a standard to cast and non-action thereafter until the duration runs out.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Where are you getting that it's a move action each round? Isn't "1 action" 3.0 speak for standard action? Honestly, I'd read it as a standard to cast and non-action thereafter until the duration runs out.
    Since you pick the target each round, it should default to a move action as per the general rule for directing or redirecting a spell. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/act...RedirectaSpell

5. - Top - End - #665
    Troll in the Playground

Since you pick the target each round, it should default to a move action as per the general rule for directing or redirecting a spell. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/act...RedirectaSpell
    Ah, okay. I didn't realize it was a general rule and not just something that was written into a lot of spells that can be redirected.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

But you're not just redirecting it each round, you have to make a new ranged touch attack each time. Wouldn't making an attack mean it was a standard action?

7. - Top - End - #667
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, okay. I didn't realize it was a general rule and not just something that was written into a lot of spells that can be redirected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    But you're not just redirecting it each round, you have to make a new ranged touch attack each time. Wouldn't making an attack mean it was a standard action?
    +1 on Biggus's interpretation. The move action redirect rule is for a continuous effect. This is aiming and making a new attack. That should be a Standard Action unless otherwise specified, and off the top of my head I can't think of anything that allows you to make an attack of any kind as a move action (not to be confused with redirecting a spell that makes its own attacks, since those attacks are the spells action rather than yours).

It's still a solid find and significantly better than Call Lightning overall. Normally the combination of a ranged touch attack (easy though they are) in conjunction with a save would make it unreliable, but the save is only for half damage rather than negating, and the full damage is already almost twice as good as soon as you get it, so beating their Fort save is just a bonus. It scales beautifully Bypassing spell resistance is nice icing on the cake. The only relative downsides are that fire resistance is more common than electricity resistance, that you can't prepare it in advance and lay out the damage at your leisure like you can with Call Lightning, and that it reliably damages or destroys gear that you might want for yourself.

On the other side of equation, being way better than Call Lightning might not actually be enough to make it good. The damage per round actually isn't all that much. At low levels you'll be putting out probably about 15 damage per round on average because enemies will make their save some of the time. That's decent but not spectacular. At high levels it won't actually be much better - maybe 20-25 damage per round on average - because monster Fort saves scale pretty well with level. I think the best use would be plinking weak enemies from above in a bird form, which lets you dish out a fair amount of damage with low risk to yourself.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jmax View Post
    +1 on Biggus's interpretation. The move action redirect rule is for a continuous effect. This is aiming and making a new attack. That should be a Standard Action unless otherwise specified, and off the top of my head I can't think of anything that allows you to make an attack of any kind as a move action (not to be confused with redirecting a spell that makes its own attacks, since those attacks are the spells action rather than yours).
    It is a continuous effect? I mean, it lasts 1 round/level, right? "Some spells allow you to redirect the effect to new targets or areas after you cast the spell." It seems to me like that applies here.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2019-07-19 at 12:40 AM.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    So I noticed that Warforged was left out of the guide, have you thought about putting it in, sure warforged isn't a traditional first choice but it is none the less very interesting due to being able to use your armor in wild shape without adding anything onto it...
    Losing wisdom is such a big deal, and not being able to heal yourself is pretty annoying as well. Most of the cool things the race does are also either not that strong or reasonably replicable through spells and such. It just seems like a lot of downside for relatively limited upside.

Yeah, not sure how I missed that one. It seems pretty great. Trading energy type and the addition of a roll for significantly more damage, a better save type, and no SR is really solid. I'd agree with the interpretation that it takes a standard action though. Yes, redirecting a spell takes a move action, but that doesn't seem to be what's happening here. After all, the ranged touch attack needs to occur whether you are switching targets or sticking with the same target.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Losing wisdom is such a big deal, and not being able to heal yourself is pretty annoying as well. Most of the cool things the race does are also either not that strong or reasonably replicable through spells and such. It just seems like a lot of downside for relatively limited upside.
    But, but, but TRANSFORMERS!

I remember seeing a feat that gave turning for plants or animals. Maybe it could be used to open up so e other PrCs? I just don't remember where I'd seen it.

Also, killing an aleax gives a bump to wis. May be useful.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2019-07-19 at 05:43 AM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

11. - Top - End - #671
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    But, but, but TRANSFORMERS!

I remember seeing a feat that gave turning for plants or animals. Maybe it could be used to open up so e other PrCs? I just don't remember where I'd seen it.

Also, killing an aleax gives a bump to wis. May be useful.
    Landforged Walker is famous for being able to wildshape into any Huge Plant as a druid of your total character level, 3/day.
    PrC entry does not require druid class features, and it does not advance them either.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, not sure how I missed that one. It seems pretty great. Trading energy type and the addition of a roll for significantly more damage, a better save type, and no SR is really solid. I'd agree with the interpretation that it takes a standard action though. Yes, redirecting a spell takes a move action, but that doesn't seem to be what's happening here. After all, the ranged touch attack needs to occur whether you are switching targets or sticking with the same target.
    I mean I don't have my Rules Compendium handy, but if it doesn't take a move action, then I'm not sure how you'd get a standard action? It would be either no action, which would of course be even more powerful, or an attack, which should theoretically mean you could full attack with it as long as you targeted only one creature per round with all the attacks. Am I wrong?

13. - Top - End - #673
    Titan in the Playground

I mean I don't have my Rules Compendium handy, but if it doesn't take a move action, then I'm not sure how you'd get a standard action? It would be either no action, which would of course be even more powerful, or an attack, which should theoretically mean you could full attack with it as long as you targeted only one creature per round with all the attacks. Am I wrong?
    You know how Glorious Master of the Elements and Lightning Ring give you standard action options? I guess it's like those?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    You know how Glorious Master of the Elements and Lightning Ring give you standard action options? I guess it's like those?
    The one specifies that it's a standard action. The other is a free action AFAICT.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

My thinking was indeed that it's an attack, and that attacks are explicitly standard actions. Can all attacks be full attacked? The spell says you're attacking one target a round, and that kinda implies you're doing this whole thing once , as opposed to potentially several times. Even more so because, as you note, the spell produces a continuous stream. Redirection is kinda weird here, because it would imply that you just don't take an action a lot of the time.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

My understanding of 3.0's "1 action" is that it's your standard action. Always. It's based on the notion that, in 3.0, units could move (their move-equivalent action, or sometimes called a move action), they could do stuff as free actions (talking, feather fall before it was changed, etc.), and their 1 normal action (sometimes called a standard action or a partial action). Full-round actions (labeled as '1 round' or full-round actions) also existed, largely for charging, summoning, and casting sleep.

Compare these spells:
    -guidance of the avatar (1 action)

-teleport through time (1 round)

@eggynack: What do you think of gatorswarm as a level 6 spell?
    Last edited by Endarire; 2019-07-23 at 01:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

Nobody disputes that the spell is a standard action to cast. What's in question is whether it takes a standard action to fire again on subsequent rounds. I don't see any interpretation where that's the case that doesn't also allow you to use it in a full attack. Given that you must select who you're targeting each round, I believe the move action reading is the one the text best supports.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Troll in the Playground

With the spell, at best, having two main interpretations it seems most practical to just leave a "Requires clarification" note on it and move on.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

What about Light of Lunia. I'm in doubt what actions it require to fire rays and if I could both of them in the same round I cast the spell.
    a typical Dark Wizard hunter would die, on average, eight and a half times along the way to becoming ‘paranoid’.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    @eggynack: What do you think of gatorswarm as a level 6 spell?
    Pretty bad. There are a ton of costs to any summoning spell that isn't SNA. You need to prepare it instead of it just being accessible spontaneously, it doesn't work with certain feats and junk (ashbound and greenbound, for example, and the type change removes animal growth as an option as well), and, in certain cases including this one, you are more limited in terms of the creatures you get to summon. So, you need some serious bonuses for it to be worth it. SNA VI allows you to summon 1d4+1 giant crocodiles. These monstrous crocodiles, unless I'm missing something, only feature the advantages of poison and communication. You also get minor bonuses if you're in a swamp, but you summon fewer crocodiles outside a swamp, so it's a bit of a wash unless you're sure you're going to be in a swamp. Which, y'know, could be theoretically fine as an upgrade if giant crocodile were the SNA cream of the crop, but oreads and huge elementals are right there. Just doesn't seem worth it.

Nobody disputes that the spell is a standard action to cast. What's in question is whether it takes a standard action to fire again on subsequent rounds. I don't see any interpretation where that's the case that doesn't also allow you to use it in a full attack. Given that you must select who you're targeting each round, I believe the move action reading is the one the text best supports.
    I'm really just not sure why it would be a move action. Redirection isn't necessary to the spell's use, particularly because you have to direct the spell to the target each round regardless of said target. This isn't like boreal wind where the spell just does its own thing each round. You need repeated attack rolls. Also, the game is pretty explicit that an attack is a standard action. To quote, "Making an attack is a standard action." The full attack mode could theoretically be rules viable, but I have no idea where that's coming from exactly. Is there some sort of thing that says all attacks can be full attacked? It's not like the spell adds some property to your attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Doxkid View Post
    With the spell, at best, having two main interpretations it seems most practical to just leave a "Requires clarification" note on it and move on.
    I could see it. The spell is very good regardless of reading. Definitely wouldn't be unique in that regard. I'm pretty inclined towards the standard action reading though, for such is the nature of attacks, so I might just go with that.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

Directing and redirecting are both move actions. Many spells still require a move action each round even if you aim them at the same target (cf. eyebite). And while attacks are normally a standard action, there's also a rule that the action needed for a spell supersedes the normal action needed for an attack. When spells do allow you to make normal attacks with them, they generally allow full attacks as well unles otherwise specified, as seen with produce flame and flame blade and the like.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Directing and redirecting are both move actions.
    Regardless, there are actions here that are neither directing nor redirecting. If you're facing a single stationary target, then the second use of the spell doesn't demand any direction. And yet you still need a ranged touch attack.

Many spells still require a move action each round even if you aim them at the same target (cf. eyebite).

And while attacks are normally a standard action, there's also a rule that the action needed for a spell supersedes the normal action needed for an attack.
    If the spell claimed to use a move action, as eyebite does, then this would certainly overwrite any general timing rules. The spell doesn't have such a specific rule though.

When spells do allow you to make normal attacks with them, they generally allow full attacks as well unles otherwise specified, as seen with produce flame and flame blade and the like.
    Where's that rule come from, exactly? Flame blade seems relatively obvious in this functioning, as it's directly leveraging the rules for attacking with a weapon, but produce flame seems less so.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Orc in the Playground

Pretty bad.

<snip>

These monstrous crocodiles, unless I'm missing something, only feature the advantages of poison and communication.
    They do also get DR 10/magic and darkvision, and the range is Medium instead of Close. The damage reduction and range increase are both nice, but they still aren't nice enough.

EDIT: Fengut on the same page is quite good for Sor/Wiz 1 though.
    Last edited by jmax; 2019-07-23 at 07:33 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

24. - Top - End - #684
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by jmax View Post
    They do also get DR 10/magic and darkvision, and the range is Medium instead of Close. The damage reduction and range increase are both nice, but they still aren't nice enough.
    Oh yeah, forgot the DR. Just didn't notice the other stuff. I find it weirdly funny that you can end up with fewer crocodiles with this ultra-crocodile spell.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noce View Post
    Landforged Walker is famous for being able to wildshape into any Huge Plant as a druid of your total character level, 3/day.
    PrC entry does not require druid class features, and it does not advance them either.
    No no no no. Not turn INTO a plant/ animal. TURN plants or animals. Like a cleric. From a feat.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    No no no no. Not turn INTO a plant/ animal. TURN plants or animals. Like a cleric. From a feat.
    Sounds like initiate of nature from Player's Guide to Faerun.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Troll in the Playground

Sounds like initiate of nature from Player's Guide to Faerun.
    That sound right. Thanks Eggy!
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

28. - Top - End - #688
    Titan in the Playground

Uh...

Plant Shape (Su): At 5th level, you can change into a plant creature and back again three times per day. You can assume any form from Small to Huge. This ability is otherwise like the wild shape druid class feature (PH 37). Use your total character level as your effective druid level to determine duration and maximum Hit Dice.
    So yeah.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Uh...

So yeah.
    Right. That's the thing this ability does, and he wanted the other thing.

Anyways, I'm adding the spell, and I'm just gonna stick with the standard action read. It's the one I tend towards and seems like the one other people favor as well. I tossed in a parenthetical that says, "(seemingly as a standard action)," which seems like a fair hedge. I'ma actually give it a tentative blue rating. It seems like a pretty absurd blasting spell. Xd6 is standard rate, and it becomes X2 d6 if you use it for the full duration.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Shadow Landscape was reprinted in Spell Compendium. Doesn't seem to be much of a change, if at all though...

Extended sig here.