New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    There's probably something simple like a Ring of Feather Fall at the very least, but not everyone has the common sense to sleep with their gravity-fighting items just in case.

Plus he was hanging out with dwarves for a while now, right? Not much call for flying items among dwarves, I'm sure.
    They do not even defend their airspace
    l
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Do note that he had been fighting off an entire army before that scene. We don't know how much stuff he had used or how much damage he had taken. It's possible that he was running on fumes by that point. And the fall also didn't even kill him. Ardon had to finish the job.
    So what exactly does his level 30 gear consist of? It must have horrible AC if a bunch of low level mobs can even hurt a level 18 fighter. We're also assuming he can't fly, regen health, or even slow a fall...is it level 30 paper mache? These are all really standard things for even a mid level fighter to invest in.

All I'm saying is, I wouldn't be shopping at Groffnar's if I lived in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    gargoyal only had to get him high enough that othger gargoyles would get involved. Groffnar then spent sevral rounds fighting off Dire's Gargoyles while Ardon's continued to go up.
    I feel like that's just another example of him being incompetent. Maybe attack the one carrying you ever-higher?

I'm just being nit-picky.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-08-19 at 12:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I feel like that's just another example of him being incompetent. Maybe attack the one carrying you ever-higher?

I'm just being nit-picky.
    *Shrugs* Maybe he breifly thought Ardon was just bringing him to more gargoyles. or maybe he couldn't reach behind him enough.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

You'll note that the reason he falls is because Ardon's gargoyle takes damage from him.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

Fighters aren't generally known for their high INT scores, after all.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ardon was able to kill Groffnar because the dwarf had summoned the guardian.

http://willsaveworldforgold.com/?p=1390

Having the Guardian in the physical world weakens the summoner considerably.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chives View Post

That's a very good point, but it does not fit my narrative and so I will ignore it.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chives View Post

Makes sense though I'm curious why one of them was able to say his eulogies while powering down after Groffnar died but the other one disappeared immediately after the castle crashed. The task most likely wasn't done as the city was still in danger from gargoyles so they were both dismissed from caster death. Do they just take a large amount of damage each turn until they disappear and so the one that was in combat disappeared first? Do they store energy over time so the longer they are summoned the longer they last if power is severed?

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

9. - Top - End - #609
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Makes sense though I'm curious why one of them was able to say his eulogies while powering down after Groffnar died but the other one disappeared immediately after the castle crashed. The task most likely wasn't done as the city was still in danger from gargoyles so they were both dismissed from caster death. Do they just take a large amount of damage each turn until they disappear and so the one that was in combat disappeared first? Do they store energy over time so the longer they are summoned the longer they last if power is severed?
    In game mechanics terms, they both became harmless an equal amount of time after their summoner died.

In narrative/fluff terms, Glend's Guardian disappeared instantly because its summoner was incinerated in an explosion. Groffnar's Guardian stuck around for a few seconds because its summoner was killed by a blow to the head, but some of his body remained "alive" long enough to allow for a short monologue.

Also, if the Guardian is killed it leaves a body behind. If its summoner is killed it just dissolves into smoke.

GUARDIAN MINUTIAE!!

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ettin in the Playground

Glad you pointed out the guardian body thing, I completely missed that :P. Got to love little details like that even though I have no clue what that could mean from an in world perspective.

Show

11. - Top - End - #611

"In narrative/fluff terms, Glend's Guardian disappeared instantly because its summoner was incinerated in an explosion. Groffnar's Guardian stuck around for a few seconds because its summoner was killed by a blow to the head, but some of his body remained "alive" long enough to allow for a short monologue."

Actually, I think the bard lied about his first death saving throw in his shadow-illusion/copy when talking with his friends. He could have died several moments before the castle crashed: he got it just far enough that the momentium carried it away from the city. Which would mean - neither guardian was dismissed instantly. They lingered for 1-2 rounds after their masters deaths, more or less.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Smith View Post
    "In narrative/fluff terms, Glend's Guardian disappeared instantly because its summoner was incinerated in an explosion. Groffnar's Guardian stuck around for a few seconds because its summoner was killed by a blow to the head, but some of his body remained "alive" long enough to allow for a short monologue."

Actually, I think the bard lied about his first death saving throw in his shadow-illusion/copy when talking with his friends. He could have died several moments before the castle crashed: he got it just far enough that the momentium carried it away from the city. Which would mean - neither guardian was dismissed instantly. They lingered for 1-2 rounds after their masters deaths, more or less.
    The person you replied to is the author, so their interpretation is probably pretty solid.

13. - Top - End - #613

BarbarianGuy

The person you replied to is the author, so their interpretation is probably pretty solid.
    Back-chatting the WoG shows chutzpah.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ogre in the Playground

And just like that, Peanut shows how smart he really can be.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aren't Warlocks supposed to have really high ACs for casters? Surprised they're wailing away at him so easily.
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakilian View Post
    Aren't Warlocks supposed to have really high ACs for casters? Surprised they're wailing away at him so easily.
    Dire seems arrogant enough to not invest anything in AC.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

17. - Top - End - #617
    Banned

Somehow I forgot about the rocket boots. I liked the comedic timing on this strip.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Just how many hit points does Dire have, anyway? He's down by 216 by my count, and that's after accounting for the 30 healing from Devour Magic.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #619
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Do we know his class? Not sure if he's a Warlock or a Wizard.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Well, he calls himself Archwarlock, so I would assume he's a Warlock.
    Unless it's like Miko's Samurai title.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

21. - Top - End - #621
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Just how many hit points does Dire have, anyway? He's down by 216 by my count, and that's after accounting for the 30 healing from Devour Magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Well, he calls himself Archwarlock, so I would assume he's a Warlock.
    Unless it's like Miko's Samurai title.
    He's a boss in 4th edition. One who is clearly taking on the party with no backup/support.

I see no reason to believe he's following the same rules as a player character, or to assume he has class levels. I would be shocked if he's not designed as a Paragon tier solo encounter. While I am a bit hazy on the rules (I haven't touched 4e in literally at least 7 years), I know the HP there tends to be around 5x higher than a normal monster of that level. I would guess 500hp as a fair estimate to start from. If anyone feels like digging out a 4e monster manual, look for a level 15 Control Solo, as that's roughly where I peg Dire (Though he may be closer to 11).
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

22. - Top - End - #622
    Banned

Last time they fought Dire he was KOed by a measly 123 damage, and only 21 of that was delivered before that Guardian fell. Even if we're accounting for some additional damage he might have taken fighting Sarris off panel, I doubt he's rocking 500+ hitpoints now.

I think the most likely explanation is simply that he healed himself between the encounter with Ardon and the current encounter with the Sons, which would put him at losing 167 so far. This is all assuming that all the combat is happening on panel. He could be healing between panels for all we know.

Of course, it's also assuming that he even has stats.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it possible that he has a hidden damage reduction (Is DR a thing in 4e?) and physical wounds deal less damage or regenerate quickly? For example Odi had resistance to lightning but his damage was similar to the amount Ardon took (I'm not sure how much resistance Odi had though I would guess 5 or 10 if it is like 3.5 and Ardon could have just high rolled and the resistance is not shown or Ardon could have low rolled and Odi's resistance was factored in). If that is the case that would explain why he could be defeated by an explosion and lightning strike but many smaller attacks didn't phase him as much.
    Last edited by Hamste; 2017-09-06 at 06:11 PM.

Show

24. - Top - End - #624
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I think the most likely explanation is simply that he healed himself between the encounter with Ardon and the current encounter with the Sons, which would put him at losing 167 so far. This is all assuming that all the combat is happening on panel. He could be healing between panels for all we know.
    My count of 216 was from only the current encounter.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

25. - Top - End - #625
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    My count of 216 was from only the current encounter.
    It appears I started counting on the wrong comic.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Troll in the Playground

It was at this point, the players quietly packed up their books and headed out for pizza, leaving the DM wondering why they didn't seem to be having any fun.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    It was at this point, the players quietly packed up their books and headed out for pizza, leaving the DM wondering why they didn't seem to be having any fun.
    Ardon's player did. Ell's player is listening with rapt attention, 45 and Peanut's players are playing games on their phones, and Odi's player ragequit a while back.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ettin in the Playground

So where did the cleric guy go? We see him crying earlier when the warlock appeared but haven't seen him in the fight at all.

Show

29. - Top - End - #629
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    So where did the cleric guy go? We see him crying earlier when the warlock appeared but haven't seen him in the fight at all.
    My best guess is that he's in shock from losing his surrogate son. He'll be back soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    The Sons are actually starting to grow on me. Besides, it's ok for things to happen to non protagonists in a story. Especially if it's used to set up the protagonist's plots in a bit.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-09-08 at 10:34 AM.

30. - Top - End - #630

Sometimes, the players need to realize the world is full of bigger fish, and the cosmos of the setting does not revolve around them. They were someones drunken escapades most likely; whereas some heros, monsters, and villians have been playing "the game" sense before there great great grandfathers were even thought of. Sometimes seeing this puts there position in perspective - or gives them some kinda aspiration to continue to grow.
    Last edited by Jane_Smith; 2017-09-08 at 10:45 AM.