New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Hell's Rebels IC

Hitori looks up as a voice from the crowd calls out that a thief is on the loose. He narrows his eyes. "Petty crime in front of all these guards and witnesses? Either a very foolish thief, or quite a confident one."

He looks over at Nox. "Can you have some of your men scour the perimeter of the crowd and make sure there are no more sticky fingers? I'll be right back."

The knight hefts his enormous shield onto his back. In his armor there was likely no chance for him to catch a thief, but refusing to try wasn't an option. He pulls one arm back to give himself some momentum and charges forward, barreling through the crowd in the direction the slave pointed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hitori is going to take the Run action, moving forward in a straight line. Hopefully everyone is paying enough attention to get out of his way. Hitori moves 60' per round.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Hitori

As you hear the call of a new voice from the crowd, calling out against the pickpocket, it doesn't take long for you to jump into action. Most of the protesters, seeing a tall armored figure to charge into action, leap spiritedly out of the way. Unfortunately, that same armor slows you down enough for the thief to escape into the shady glens of the distant trees. At the same time, you can hear a new raucous tune pick up and an accompanying roar from the crowd.

"Don't worry, Minamoto!" You can see Nox nod to two of the dottari guards, who split off from their formation to start making their way around the crowd and circle the perimeter of Aria Park. "I've given instruction for an alert to be posted. Such a flagrant disregard for the law here today must be punished swiftly and harshly."

Aaron

It looks as though somebody tried to do what you did not, and it did not serve them all that well. In fact, as you look out at the crowd, you can actually see a few open grins directed at the incompetence of the solitary hellknight. There was no easy way out of the quandary posed by the halfling woman. It seems as though several of the protesters have rallied around her, as well as a lame tiefling standing atop one of the benches.

A few passers by notice your fine armor and sword, giving you curious and wary looks. Those citizens seem to be giving you a wide birth, as you likely appear to be one of the nobility... an irony that does not escape you now.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

3. - Top - End - #33

Hitori glares at the crowd. "What's this? You think this is some kind of joke? Did you never stop to consider why someone would steal here?"

He points defiantly at the tradesmen. "Would you be smiling if it was your property being pilfered? You men work hard to put food on the table for your families, and to think someone might have the audacity to try and take that from you...but perhaps that was the goal all along?"

He sweeps his hands, gesturing to the rest of the crowd. "Guard your purses well, gentlemen! The poor and the greedy are here as well, under pretense of democracy and free elections, and yet the thief came from one of their number. You come to this park seeking a discussion but are instead targeted for your wealth and success."

The knight turns back to the woman distributing handbills. "I would stay away from her, in particular, if I were you. We all know that her kind are bastards seeking to try and take wealth away from legitimate nobles and businessmen anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if she was the one who marked the thief's target."
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2015-09-16 at 03:49 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Cynissa scoffs, addressing the hellknight from her perch for the first time. She knows he is baiting her, and she doesn't care. Such falsehoods as his have to be answered. "The 'legitimate' nobility was destroyed in the Civil War. Their sons and daughters spilled their blood by the thousands, and they were politically dispossessed. The Paracounts, like our new Lord Mayor, replaced them. Everyone knows what that title really means: paid Thrune flunky. That a few families have survived here and there doesn't change a thing. The old aristocracy knows which way the wind is blowing.

"It knows one other thing as a matter of pride. Wealth won by plunder and slavery deserves to be taken away. The Cheliax of the old nobility believed in that principle, however incompletely it was practiced. The navy swept the Inner Sea clear of slave ships. Now our ruling class of paid flunkies calls on the navy to protect its own slave ships from Andoren privateers.

"As for hard work? The hardest-working among us are, somehow, also the poorest. Not just the slaves and the prisoners, who of course have nothing. You know who you are: firing salt from dusk to dawn, spending weeks or months fishing at sea, mining or farming in the countryside. Every day your labor magically turns into someone else's profit." Cynissa snaps her fingers, releasing a spark of her own literal magic to punctuate the point.

"It is not greed to want the daily robbery to stop. It is the natural demand of any being with dignity." Cynissa pauses. She can feel her hand shaking, holding her cane in a white-knuckled death grip. Tieflings in Cheliax are allowed no dignity. "If that takes the form of theft, well, turnabout's fair play. But, contrary to the soldier's slander, I can't recommend it. Too small-scale. You know the method by now." She pauses again to see if anyone can guess. "Organize. When we demand pay, control, and ownership, when we stand with others who demand the same, when we provide for each other in hard times, we will have common wealth and an end to plunder."
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2015-09-25 at 08:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

In the hour(s) that pass, Lillisandra cannot help but be moved by the impassioned speech of the Tiefling and Halfling. "Watch," she whispers into Jessica's ear. "That knight up there will have them flogged, or worse. It takes quite the fool to so openly mock the rule of law."

She turns her attention back to the crowd, seeking and listening, though she doesn't know what for.

6. - Top - End - #36

Hitori ignores the woman, not even sparing a glance at her. He was speaking to the people, not to the rabble. "I humbly apologize that we allowed this crime to be committed under our gaze, serah," he says sincerely to the elderly gentleman. "The dottari are in hot pursuit and they will return your purse very quickly."

He turns around and looks for the slave who pointed it out. Spotting her in the crowd, he approaches her. "Your keen eyes are appreciated, citizen." He reaches into his armor pouch and produces some silver coins. "Shall I give these directly to you, or would your master or mistress take them instead?" he asks with a well-meaning smile.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2015-09-16 at 08:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eva smiles at the idiot wrapped in steel that was stupid enough to speak with her in such a manner Oh Sarenrae I beseech you, give me the strength not to maim this misguided fool.... Maybe it would be alright if I stabbed him just a little bit? Nothing fatal maybe in the knee, you know deep enough to get a permanent limp so he can be reminded of his stupidity anytime he walks around in that blasted armor, Sarenrae would forgive me for such a small transgression, I could start an orphanage maybe even a soup kitchen!. Her eyebrow was only twitching slightly as she did her utmost to control her anger "Why sir knight I do believe such a task is far beyond your considerable skill considering I was pardoned by my former master over 15 years ago but I am sure if you truly dedicated yourself to the task we would see fine results that rival your performance today. Now as for your offering, I am but a humble servant of the people and desire no compensation for merely doing the correct thing, unlike some I do not require being brow beaten into performing my civic duty. For I am myself am a performer of this fine city and when anyone of these citizens is a potential patron it would simply not do to have them running short of coin nor mistrusting my intentions as a musician, speaking of such you can verify my accounts with the artists guild for I have been a member for quite some time and I was even give a part in the symphony for the upcoming opera. I beg of you hold onto your coin and use it for the best interests of the people, perhaps you could use it to fund a more rigorous training regime so such an event doesn't happen again in the future? I can see how such armor would reduce ones mobility so maybe the coin could be set towards innovating a new steel that is lighter since it appears the knights do not have the stamina to move around with such weight and we cannot have the true heart of the Chelish Military weighed down that just simply will not do." She does her best to give a concerned and innocent face despite blatantly mocking the poor man, at this point she did not care and if he did ask to see the documents she would show the immaculate forgery she had in her tiny room which none but the most scrutinizing bureaucrat could criticize.
    Blarg...

8. - Top - End - #38

Hitori chuckles and puts the coins back in his bag. "You're quite an amusing little one, aren't you? Well, if that's your answer, then so be it. I'm pleased to see that you understand that justice is its own reward. That sentiment is quite rare in the city these days." If he even heard her insults, he doesn't seem to acknowledge or even register them. Then again, the young woman cannot tell what his true expression is, even his eyes are hidden by the dark helmet he wears.

Beneath the mask the young man is rolling his eyes. So many ungrateful peasants in this city. Still, there was no need for him to arrest or question her for being a bitch, he had more important issues to deal with. Besides, he regularly heard much worse from his own officers, at this point insults to his skill or character slid off him like rainwater.

He turns around and points to the girl behind him. "You lot could all learn from this fine woman, you know! Out here protesting what a fine government and police force you have available to you! If you wish to improve this city, you should do so by toughening yourselves up! Training, practicing, and joining the dottari on your own. If you believe you know better than us how to run this city, then do something about it! Get active in your communities, catch pests and dogs and be good citizens. Help catch criminals while you train to catch them yourselves one day, and then you could be standing in that woman's position," he gestures to the armored woman who was still barking orders to her men.

After that little speech Hitori turns around and starts to limp back towards the Opera House. His sprinting had made the wound worse, and now his left leg plate was soaked in blood. He could feel the cut open now, it was directly beneath his knee and the gash was deep enough that he would likely have to wrap it in gauze for a few days to let it heal.

9. - Top - End - #39

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    A few passers by notice your fine armor and sword, giving you curious and wary looks. Those citizens seem to be giving you a wide birth, as you likely appear to be one of the nobility... an irony that does not escape you now.
    With a blush Aaron smiles and nods. "Please don't mind me - while I may look like a nobleman, I don't think any of them will claim me anymore..." he says to those who note his appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Hitori glares at the crowd. "What's this? You think this is some kind of joke? Did you never stop to consider why someone would steal here?"
    "They steal because they are hungry. That doesn't make it right, but it does make it forgivable..." Aaron says, not so loudly as to be heard over the din of the scene, but not trying to hide his reaction either.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    "The 'legitimate' nobility was destroyed in the Civil War...The old aristocracy knows which way the wind is blowing.
    His smile suddenly gone, Aaron for a moment looks angry and ready to retort. Instead, he withers, thinking to his recent dismissal and noticing the stares around him again with shame.

"I humbly apologize that we allowed this crime to be committed under our gaze, serah. The dottari are in hot pursuit and they will return your purse very quickly."
    Aaron shakes his head and makes his way to the old man, muttering to himself and invoking divine aid as he maneuvers through the crowd. Arriving after the Hellknight has stepped away he asks the gentleman, "How much did she take from you, sir? I don't think there is much justice to be had here right now, but perhaps someone can take the sting away..." just loudly enough for the other to hear him.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    If the man's answer is reasonable and he looks to be needy enough, Aaron will compensate him with some coin of his own - assuming the old man will take it and seems trustworthy.

Sense Motive (1d20+5)[22] (+2 from "Meeting a Contact" and +1 from Guidance)

"I'm pleased to see that you understand that justice is its own reward."
    With a snort Aaron decides he has had enough. After the Hellknight is done, he raises his voice high and calls out, "The powers that be, help me! Justice? This isn't about justice - no, it is about power and control! Justice would be helping the downtrodden and returning this city to the shining jewel it was once. I have been lucky and grew up privileged, but that doesn't mean I should look down upon the good people struggling around me! And neither should the rest of the ignoble nobility! Instead of threatening a young child for stealing to eat, we should be feeding them! But that won't happen as long as the good people of Kintargo are afraid of their neighbors, the church, and their government! Re-open the opera house! Free the wrongfully imprisoned! Care for the downtrodden! Get out of the way so Kintargo can rise to be the silver star of Cheliax again!"

Spoiler: 3rd Hour Mechanics
    Show
    3) Rabble Rouse [Diplomacy/Perform]. Persuasive characters may want to better organize the protest by attempting a Diplomacy or Perform check. If the PC succeeds, the protesters will know to part before them, and the crowd won't count as difficult terrain for movement.

Diplomacy [roll]120+8[/roll] (plus Guidance again and perhaps some bonuses for his actions during the scene...?)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

As the morning wears on, the protest seems to only increase in scope. Argent Avenue is near-to-bursting with demonstrations of civic pride, as more and more Kintargans flood in from every direction. It seems as though the dottari have replenished their ranks to account for the pair who wandered off after that thief earlier, but they continue to be dwarfed by the masses. They must have a high reckoning of their ability to control the crowd, should things take a sour turn. Those of you in the crowd are at the center of the noise, the seemingly-endless chorus of partisans crying out for release. Although some have been silenced by the hellknight near the doors, many are still taking a stand against Thrune's oppression.

And then the bells begin to ring. Once, twice, three times.

For the first time since everything started, there is something that drowns out even the loudest of the protesters. Many stare up at the tallest tower of the distant Cathedral of Asmodeus, from which the sound emerges. Not many are shocked by the Devil's Bells - as they ring for no apparent reason - but a few shake their heads and appear to be discomfited by the three peals. That they would be rung now, of all times, is an ill omen to some. There is a general current of whispered maledictions and frightened pronouncements, but even they die as not a moment later, the curtains of the Kintargo Opera House begin to open. There, at the open window, is the silhouette of a man.

He is dressed in red, orange, and black clothing and an ornate breastplate, all emblazoned with the pentagram of Asmodeus and the cross of Cheliax. Middle-aged, with short, dark hair and a diabolical mace cradled in his hands, Barzillai Thrune - the new Lord-Mayor of Kintargo - steps forward to address the crowd. His face is plastered with a condescending sneer, as though he enjoys the sudden quiet his presence has evoked. Opening his mouth, he begins to speak; magically augmented, his voice booms through the silent leaves and across the still stones of the road.

"Ah, my adoring little chickadees. I am sorry to say I have not yet adapted to your quaint country ways, being accustomed as I am to the sophistication and learning of Egorian. Nonetheless, know that I have heard your concerns, and that I appreciate your valued feedback. I know we shall eventually find a mutual understanding in the fullness of time. I take pride in updating Kintargo's quaint, outdated laws to the modern standards this city deserves, and strengthening its ties to the empire in these cruel times, but obviously I have approached my duties too aggressively for your tastes.

You say you chafe at the presence of non-natives in positions of power? That authorities not of this city have no place as its leaders? That you will not be yoked by intruders? Your lord-mayor hears you. And so it is that with a heavy heart that I issue this eighth proclamation, in response to your demands: all ship's captains are hereafter barred from leaving their vessels and setting foot on Kintargo docks or streets, under pain of... let's say... squassation!"

For about a minute, there is no response from the crowd. Everywhere, the merchants and artists and free thinkers of Kintargo stand in shocked silence as the lord-mayor produces a stamped parchment and lets it fall to the street. A thousand eyes watch it, twisting in the wind, as it settles on the ground not far from the fountain.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 15
    Show
    Squassation is a form of torture in which the victim's hands are tied together and raised above the head; the victim is then hung from the hands while a weight is suspended from the feet, causing intense pain to the arms and legs. A character subjected to squassation for breaking this proclamation suffers the punishment for 1d4 hours and takes 2d6 points of nonlethal damage and 1d4 points of Dexterity damage each hour before being returned to their ship. Each repeat offense increases the duration of squassation by 1d4 hours. In this case, nonlethal damage taken in excess of the character's normal maximum is treated as lethal damage.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-02-18 at 09:50 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

11. - Top - End - #41

Hitori drops to a bow before the man as he steps forward to address the crowd. He smiles as he hears the man's words of cooperation and brotherhood, knowing that his city is indeed being taken care of by a man who listens to its people. He feels confident that the protest will disperse on its own with the people realizing that their voices have been heard.

And then the proclamation is declared.

Hitori steps forward towards the lord-mayor's position. He calls out in shock, "My Lord-Mayor! Forgive my insolence, Serah, but exactly who is to issue this punishment of squassation? The dottari? They are not trained to perform that kind of punishment! And The Order...well, yes, we are capable of this, but this sort of act was reserved for getting demons to reveal their true names so we could prevent them from returning to this plane! The Hellknights are not oppressors of the common man, nor do we intend to step into the dottari's jurisdiction and begin policing the people for them!"

He is in shock, shock and fear. The idea of being forced to torture a man for such a small offense...it makes him sick to his stomach. Of course, as a member of the Order, he would be expected to enforce this proclamation if the Order were indeed the ones charged with enacting this punishment, but by Asmodeus...Hitori had never drawn his sword on a human enemy except in practice, and that was against an equally armed and equally skilled warrior in a duel with agreed terms and both sides competing to strengthen and better themselves. But this? There was no honor in this.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2015-09-17 at 01:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

NecromancerGuy

"...That's nonsense," says Aaron, loudly enough for all those nearby to hear his stunned response to the proclamation. "That has nothing to do with what Kintargo needs and he knows it..."

After hearing the Hellknight's question, Aaron raises his head to look at what can only be a would-be-tyrant playing like a cat with many thousands of mice. He then cries out, deliberately raising his voice loudly enough to be heard by the man, but directing his words to the crowd. "This is madness! Laws are not meant to be insane mockeries of justice - they should protect the people from the depredations of evil men like that one!" He points angrily at Barzillai Thrune to punctuate his words. "Kintargo doesn't need arrogant lunatics decreeing their will down from on high! No! To Hell with these foolish pronouncements and to Hell with martial law! The dottari and Hellknights cannot, no, must not be allowed to enforce such injustice! Let them take these decrees and choke on them!"

13. - Top - End - #43

With the increase in bodies around, Eva began to grow a little nervous about pickpockets and as a result began packing away her violin so she can keep all of her possessions close to her. Her discomfort caused her to begin debating to leave without seeing the contact or remaining her with the thousands of people who may or may not turn violent. Though it she would be hard pressed to maneuver through the sheer mass of bodies gathered here so it was probably more accurate to say that she didn't have a choice in the matter. The ringing of the bells caused the pit in her stomach to grow making her somewhat nauseous because those hellish bells could only signal some malevolent omen. Deep down she wished that she could burn down that heinous building, they did it to the small shrine of Sarenrae in the city which is so sacrilegious Asmodeus himself wouldn't order lightly.

She heard the crowd gasp and she turned to see the curtains in the Opera House moving aside to accent the arrival of the cruel looking man who had taken over the city. His voice made Eva's skin crawl and she knew deep down that she had to do something lest the city she called home turn into a cesspool of evil, she would see to it that the Bellflower network do something about this because this was one of the few safer cities for halflings who wished to remain in Cheliax without being a slave. She couldn't tell if he was actually cunning or if just sadistic either option being just as dangerous to the general public but she couldn't shake the feeling that he had some grand scheme and each odd proclamation was just a cover for more serious plays.

She visibly cringed at the mention of squassation, it was a barbarous act that should be outlawed, in fact all such methods should be regarded with disgust. It just went to show how much this nation needed to change, to be dragged back into the light and away from the oppressive darkness. She vowed to be apart of the movement and would see if any of the network members would be willing to join the cause otherwise she may have to reach out to other Sarenrae factions for aid. Her gaze drifted to the self righteous knight who thought it best to lecture the people about loyalty and duty then slowly began to meander through the onlookers intent on reaching him. She was too occupied to notice the paper drop, taking advantage of the stillness of the crowd to gain ground quickly until she was within speaking distance to the man.

All pretenses of kindness had been dropped at this point, no snarky jabs and no innocent smile just a hard, accusing glare "So this is what you call justice is it? Having innocent captains tortured for wishing to venture off of their ships while making port, how do you expect them to conduct business? You wish for merchants of the city to board ships to arrange for transport of goods so our city can survive financially? Is this how we thank the people who are responsible for bringing in the food the feeds our city, the clothing that covers our backs and the goods that allow us to live in comfort? Your justice is nothing but a joke spouted from the lips of a madman and while you profess to serving the people for their safety you are in truth serving the whims of a lunatic bent on destroying the spirit of this city which has made it flourish. I hope when you gaze upon the ruins of this city you feel regret for your actions because this self proclaimed Lord-Mayor that you so blindly serve will crush Kintargo under his will."
    Blarg...

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

If Barzillai himself has heard either Hitori or Aaron's proclamations, he does not show it. Although they are among the first to break the silence, they are hardly the last, and soon the echoing cry is taken up all along the mass. The lord-mayor only smirks as all of the gathered Kintargans begin to descend into fury. He is less amused, however, when one of the citizens - likely emboldened by Aaron's words - throws a handful of manure up at the third floor balcony. Although the putrid missile misses Barzillai's personage, the lord-mayor visibly flinches and spills wine across his ornate clothing. His composure gone, he shrieks down at the assembled force below, "Enough of this! Nox, run them off, arrest them, or kill them. I don't care which!" before retreating into the building and slamming the windows.

Down below, Nox simply stares at the twelve dottari, who draw their weapons in unison and begin to advance into the crowd. At the same time, men and women throughout the crowd pull back their cloaks, revealing matching armbands, truncheons, and the sadistic grins of the Chelish Citizen's Group members eager to mete out some "justice". Although they avoid attacking Hitori, it seems as though the rest of you have, through various ways, managed to single yourselves out enough from the masses to earn their attention. Four of them approach you: one for each of you. Two of the thugs manage to close distance through the crowd, launching attacks against Aaron and Cynissa in turn with their blunt instruments. But it seems that they lack for training, as their attacks go wild and miss both of their targets completely.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Time for some initiative! Everyone, feel free to roll. Eva and Hitori get a +2 bonus to theirs, the former for unknowingly picking up on the Citizens' Group presence during the protest, and the latter for knowing beforehand. I'm going to update the Roll20 map to reflect where the thugs are. Once we go through the first 'enemy round' (that is, not this current surprise round but the next one), I'll just let everyone post in whatever order they choose.

Initiative (Thugs): (1d20)[5]

On their turn (surprise round), all of them are going to approach. However, due to where you guys positioned yourselves on the Roll20 map, only two get to attack this turn. The first attack is against Aaron, the second against Cynissa. Neither has a very good chance of doing anything, since they're sticking to nonlethal tactics for now. Remember that for Hitori, Cynissa, and Aaron, the crowd is normal terrain. For everybody else, it counts as difficult terrain.

Attack 1: [roll][1d20-1[/roll] for (1d6+2)[5] nonlethal bludgeoning (crit confirm: (1d20-1)[0])

Attack 2: [roll][1d20-1[/roll] for (1d6+2)[7] nonlethal bludgeoning (crit confirm: (1d20-1)[5])

Please check the Roll20 map for further developments.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-02-18 at 09:53 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

15. - Top - End - #45

Hitori looks over at Eva as she accuses him. He shakes his head quickly. "This is...the fault of the protest," he asserts, though his normal confident tone falters. "The people attempt to convey their wishes through a forced forum and their intentions are misunderstood...had you simply followed the first seven proclamations with no complaints this would not have happened."

When the militia appears, Hitori watches as one of them approaches the halfling next to him. He readies himself for combat grimly.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2015-09-18 at 09:55 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Eva knew there would be members of that silly group of thugs mixed in with the rest of the protesters and they were really bad at hiding it since she noticed them immediately at the start of the rally. Without skipping a beat she immediately draws her blade in a swift and fluid motion from her violin case before setting the case down at her feet and enters a defensive stance. She does not press forward aggressively but instead begins chanting softly, a hymn to the Dawnflower channeling Sarenrae's strength and power through her own body as a conduit before releasing it into the man in front of her. It was not done with malice but with love and kindness, shaping the spell into a veil that would calm the soul of the malevolent being before her, whether or not it would have any effect would determine if their was any light within the heart of this man.

Show
    Eva AC:17 Hp: 10

Move Action: Draw weapon
    Standard Action: Cast Charm Person, she is only trying to defend herself so I hope this doesn't count as 'threatening' Will save DC is 16 since this should definitely a verbal spell...
    Blarg...

17. - Top - End - #47

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 1, Aaron's Status
    Show
    Aaron Tanessen
    Male Human Oracle, Level 1, Init 3, HP 10/10, Speed 20 ft. (30 ft. base)
    AC 20, Touch 11, Flat-footed 19, CMD 15, Fort 1, Ref 1, Will 0, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Warhammer +4 (1d8+4, 20/x3)
    Masterwork Banded Mail, Shield Spike Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield (+7 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition None

Suddenly Aaron's speech takes on a hateful, infernal tone as the combat begins. With a subtle shift of his body he steps away from the thug who attacked him and cries out:

Spoiler: Infernal
    Show
    Powers of law and good, bless those who fight against the darkness!

He then readies himself to bludgeon the thugs into giving up the fight, turning to the nearest one with a grim look on his face.

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    Initiative Order: 6 (rolled in OoC thread)

Move action to activate Martial Flexibility to gain the use of Bludgeoning for one minute
    Free Action to 5-ft step out of melee with the nearest thug
    Standard Action to cast Bless, affecting all non-thugs and non-dottari in range

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

Of course it had been a provocation. Thrune's guards—and Thrune himself, once he looked—could see that the protest lacked organization. An outrageous proclamation, coupled with the already inflamed crowd, and no sense of discipline? Of course someone would react precipitously, and of course the regime's thugs would take the excuse to move in. Cynissa, however, has no regrets for her part, and not even for the well-intentioned but hasty calls from the fiddler and what looked like a disaffected aristocrat. The proclamation was sure to come either way. From how it looked as it floated down from the balcony, it had been prepared in advance. The question was whether the people would accept it docilely (or worse, enthusiastically) or challenge it. Now that they have challenged it, the question became, which side was she on?

The answer is obvious. Even if her loyalties had been unclear, the grinning boar of a man bearing down on her gives her no choice. His black and red armband mark him as one of the Chelish Citizens Group. From what Cynissa had heard, they considered themselves auxiliaries to the dottari in exactly the sense the Hellknight had been talking about. She had also heard that they mainly just beat up whoever they didn't like. That, at least, looks to be true. The crowd roils around the thug as he pushes people aside, all to get at her. The bench makes an awkward platform, but Cynissa manages to clamber atop the back just as the Citizen brings down his truncheon. It clatters noisily on the slats, but doesn't break through.

Cynissa balances precariously, then drops down behind the bench. Fortunately, the protesters in back of her part, and she lands on her good leg. She feels hands helping to prop her up as she stares down the thug from across the bench. "I've upset you. Heaven knows why. You're a lapdog for a rotten regime, no reason to get defensive about it," she says. A few of the protesters laugh, but Cynissa's expression turns serious. "If it's me you want, then come and get me. Me, you hear, none of the rest." She draws glowing red tendrils of magic from the crook of her walking stick, and feels strength infuse her legs and abdomen. The words she speaks next arre redolent with power. "If you can catch me."

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Cynissa Castillito
    Female CG tiefling transmuter, Level 1, Init 2, HP 7/7, Speed 20 ft.
    AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort 0, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    mwk cane +2 (1d6+1, x2)
    (+2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 19, Wis 13, Cha 13
    Condition None

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    5-Foot Step 1 square south, 1 square east
    Standard Action cast expeditious retreat
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2015-09-25 at 08:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Lillisandra, round 1
    Show
    Lillisandra Moordaine
    F CN Drow Cleric, Level 1, Init 5, HP 10/10, DR SR 7 (6+LVL), Speed 20
    AC 21, Touch 13, Flat-footed 18, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 5, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 0
    MW Rapier +4 (1d6, 18-20, x2)
    Hand Crossbow (20 bolts (Drow Poison x3)) +3 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Whip (Disarm, Nonlethal, Trip) +3 (1d3, x2)
    Breastplate, - Heavy Wooden Shield (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 7, Wis 17, Cha 13
    Condition Bless (once Aaron has acted): +1 attack, saves vs fear; 10 rounds
    (Seducer) Charm person: 1/1
    Touch of chaos: 6/6
    Dazing touch: 6/6
    Channel energy: 4/4

Lillisandra raises a painted eyebrow as the thug approaches her unsteadily- forcing his way through the crowd. Her hands suddenly preoccupied with more important acts, she somewhat casually allows her cloak to fall open, revealing the glint of metal beneath. She pulls a rapier from her hip, stepping in front of Jessica. "Run along, dear. I'll find you."

Turning her attention to the thug, she smiles at him. "Come now, sweetheart. I haven't had any pleasant attention in so long...."

Show
    Move action: draw rapier
    Free action: 5-foot step, in front of Jessica? (feel free to disregard if unnecessary) Also, FYI, I have nimble moves from a racial
    Standard action: activate dazing touch

I'm not completely clear on how exactly holding charges and stuff works with this? I know I get a free touch attack to apply it, but I'm not yet in melee, so I can't apply it now. Do I get to apply the free attack as a readied action? If so, ready an action to apply it if/when he closes to melee:
    (1d20+5)[19] vs touch ac
    no damage, but target becomes dazed.

FYI, my plan is to stand there and caress the dazed man, re-applying dazing touch every round until either I run out or the others finish theirs off. I suppose I might change my mind, but that's the go-to, here.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

The riot is in full force now, the surge of dottari pressing against the crowd as the first of the violence erupts at the front line. Nobody seems seriously hurt yet, but it's only a matter of time. The first chorus of screams reverberate through the chaotic mass of dissidents - the sudden appearance of the Chelish Citizens' Group has startled even the loyalists. There are scores of Kintargans pushing over each other to escape the square, scattering into the relative safety of Aria Park's foliage. Those that remain, however, are banding together to fight for their city.

Near the western benches, the thug chasing Cynissa steps easily over the sole obstacle in his way. His makeshift club us at the ready as he clambers back onto the ground with a leery grin. "Caught you." He lashes out, aiming for the tiefling's center of mass. Fortunately, his aim is wild, and in overexerting himself, he nearly stumbles after missing Cynissa. Not too far away, three more members of the Chelish Citizens' Group approach Aaron, Eva, and Lillisandra. The former pauses as the oracle casts his spell on the members of the crowd, but it does not halter his advance for long. The thug tries to drive his truncheon into the young man's stomach, aiming to debilitate and knock him off balance, but also fails to hit his target. Meanwhile, the other two are trying to resist the magical charm of the halfling and the caress of the drow. The former is halted by Evagria's charm spell, hesitation crossing his features as he refrains from striking for the time being. And the latter is stopped in his tracks as he is tagged by Lillisandra's power. Staring at the drow's figure, he stands motionless.

At the same time, somebody in the audience throws a dagger and scores a lucky strike on Nox, the knife sticking out of her throat. With a snarl, she yanks it out, new blood spilling over her collar. The wound closes almost as quickly as it was opened, the flow stemming to a halt as she ducks into the opera house and promptly disappears.

Show
    Okay, first things first: I'm going to resolve all of your actions here. Cynissa, Aaron, and Eva are all casting spells, no issues there. Hitori is moving, while Lillisandra is readying an action which gets triggered here. I'm going to roll the thug's will save against Eva's charm, and then some attacks (the third will be against Eva, on the off chance he beats the save DC).

Will Save: (1d20-1)[11]

Attack 1 (vs. Cynissa): (1d20-1)[10] for (1d6+2)[3] (crit confirm (1d20-1)[10])

Attack 2 (vs. Aaron): (1d20-1)[1] for (1d6+2)[6] (crit confirm (1d20-1)[7])

Attack 1 (vs. Eva): (1d20-1)[3] for (1d6+2)[3] (crit confirm (1d20-1)[2])

Edit: wow, these guys are really not rolling well, are they? Morbis, remember that you will need to roll opposed Charisma checks to give the fellow orders that he wouldn't normally be accustomed to.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2015-09-18 at 10:20 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #51

Hitori narrows his eyes as the thug approaches the halfling. She starts singing at him, or something ridiculous like that, but he admonishes the militant. "Hey! Didn't your mother ever teach you not to hit a woman? You are a disgrace to law enforcement. I will arrest her."

Eva suddenly feels metal and weight against her body as Hitori attempts to wrap his arm around her waist and scoop her up under his arm. If successful, he starts to leave the protest to go to the Order's barracks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grapple time! (1d20+4)[21]

22. - Top - End - #52

Seeing the face of her would be assailant become passive and relaxed, Eva uses the opportunity to get the fool out of here before he gets harmed "The riot is going to quickly spread out into the city! Quickly go home and protect your family, the dottari can handle the dissenters in the square but your family is home by themselves without you! Hurry before it is too late to make it out of the square, their safety is at stake!"

Not waiting to see if the man listened or not to her plea, she quickly moved to the thug attacking the tiefling so she could prevent him from doing harm to her. He had shown his true colours so she didn't feel guilty about having to knock this one out but what truly surprised her was that Rusty the 'I don't know what I am doing' knight ran up next to her. Glaring daggers at him she says quickly as she wades through the crowd "Get out of my way and don't interfere, I am doing your job for you and preventing any citizens from coming to harm, go polish your cursed armor or something!"

When she came within reach she swatted the greasy thug with the flat of her blade aiming for his knee and hopefully causing him to fall. If violence was the only way to convince them to stop she would be more than willing to give them a few lumps on the head to teach them that the ways of peace are vastly preferable.

Show
    So it doesn't list an action for giving a command so I am going with talking is a free action if that is alright...
    opposed charisma check (1d20+4)[15] though I think her command is definitely within reason of him not opposing it this is the more important roll which thankfully didn't suck too bad

move action: moving 15 ft to current location

standard action: to hit against Cynissa's thug (1d20+5)[6] this was pretty sad doing too much at once it would seem
    crit confirm if necessary (1d20+5)[10] equally terrible
    nonlethal damage (1d4+4)[5] this is pretty lousy as well she spent too many 20's on knowledge and initiative checks
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2015-09-18 at 10:35 AM.
    Blarg...

23. - Top - End - #53

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 2, Aaron's Status
    Show
    Aaron Tanessen
    Male Human Oracle, Level 1, Init 3, HP 10/10, Speed 20 ft. (30 ft. base)
    AC 20, Touch 11, Flat-footed 19, CMD 15, Fort 1, Ref 1, Will 0 (+1 vs. Fear), CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Warhammer +5 (1d8+4, 20/x3)
    Masterwork Banded Mail, Shield Spike Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield (+7 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition Bless, Martial Flexibility - Bludgeoning, Tongues Curse (Infernal)

Apparently bewildered by his sudden inability to understand the common speech around him, Aaron cries:

Show
    "What is happening? Why is everyone speaking so strangely?"

His confusion does not stop him from retaliating against the thug, as he draws his warhammer and brings it down against the man, aiming to knock him unconscious rather than kill him.

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    Move action to draw Aaron's warhammer
    Standard action to attack the thug, dealing nonlethal damage without a penalty to attack rolls due to Martial Flexibility-Bludgeoning active
    Warhammer (1d20+5)[12] attack, (1d20+5)[8] (20/x3), (1d8+4)[6] nonlethal damage (+(2d8+8)[15] crit damage if applicable)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

Cynissa ducks this time, easily dodging the too-high blow. It looks like her assailant is having just as much trouble balancing on the bench as she had. "No, no you have not," she taunts, dancing back into the accommodating crowd. The seemingly invulnerable guard commander is a problem for another time.

Even as they make room for her, the protesters close in around the Citizen, hurling curses and shaking their fists. From out of the mass springs the fiddler, swinging a slim sword like a switch. Unfortunately for her, the scimitar flat glances off the Citizen's thick leather boot and moments later, the Hellknight appears to snatch her up. The halfling wriggles and kicks, but her captor does not let go.

"Put her down!" shouts Cynissa, hoping the crowd will notice and surround the Hellknight too, but they remain focused on their earlier target. None of Cynissa's magic would help either. Only one of her spells could affect a person, and that would take too long to cast. The Citizen would be on her, and the hellknight would have disappeared, by the time she was done. Her solution comes in the form of a guttural call from the other side of the square.

"Hang on, comrade. I will get help." Cynissa takes off like a shot, using her walking stick to pivot around a glassy-eyed Citizen who appears in her path. She curses under her breath when she sees that her target, the aristocrat who'd denounced Thrune's proclamation, is trading blows with yet another one of these thugs. She can only hope he would be willing to withdraw, or if not, that they can dispatch him quickly.

Show
    "It's a riot, and that is the tongue of the Pit,"
    she explains tersely.
    Show
    "Why not speak Taldane? You were before."
    She shakes her head and points back the way she came with her stick.
    Show
    "Never mind; come, quickly! There are Hellknights in the crowd, and they're not just out to break heads. Remember that halfling who spoke up after the proclamation? She was captured, and they'll probably sell her into slavery if we don't help."

Spoiler: Cynissa
    Show
    Cynissa Castillito
    AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, CMD 13, Fort 0, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    mwk cane +2 (1d6+1, x2)
    (+2 Dex)
    Condition None

Show
    Full-Round Action: withdraw to flanking position with Aaron, staying out of the reach of Eva's charmed thug.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2015-09-25 at 08:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Lillisandra, round 2
    Show
    Lillisandra Moordaine
    F CN Drow Cleric, Level 1, Init 5, HP 10/10, DR SR 7 (6+LVL), Speed 20
    AC 21, Touch 13, Flat-footed 18, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 5, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 0
    MW Rapier +4 (1d6, 18-20, x2)
    Hand Crossbow (20 bolts (Drow Poison x3)) +3 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Whip (Disarm, Nonlethal, Trip) +3 (1d3, x2)
    Breastplate, - Heavy Wooden Shield (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 7, Wis 17, Cha 13
    Condition Bless (once Aaron has acted): +1 attack, saves vs fear; 10 rounds
    (Seducer) Charm person: 1/1
    Touch of chaos: 6/6
    Dazing touch: 5/6
    Channel energy: 4/4

Lillisandra struggles to contain her amusement at the thug's suddenly vapid expression. Men are so easy! She walks a slow circle around the man, lazily dragging a finger across his shoulders and back, murmuring soothing and enticing words just loud enough for him to barely hear.

"Now why did you have to go and be mean about it? We could have had so much fun together!"

Show
    Move action: I moved my little person on Roll20; it seemed simpler than trying to describe the intentions
    Standard action: activate dazing touch again.
    (1d20+3)[23] vs touch ac
    no damage, but target becomes dazed.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Even as Hitori is moving in to try to hold Eva down, the last of the nearby thugs moves in to strike. Clearly, he doesn't value the hellknight's input on the situation. He has been given his orders, and he isn't going to let some trumped-up armiger stand in his way. While his compatriot quietly leaves the scene, he takes the opportunity to try to attack Eva directly and knock her to the ground. To a casual observer - one who can't hear what's being said - it might even look as though he was trying to help the hellknight commit a particularly brutal arrest.

Meanwhile, the rest of the thugs are trying their best to suppress the remaining volatile elements. The dottari are doing well in pushing back the crowd, and several of them are eyeing you as well. It doesn't take a genius to guess that at least a few of them will be entering the fray before too long, if the Chelish Citizens' Group militia need help. Which, judging by Cynissa and Aaron's positioning, they clearly do. The martial oracle smashes the hilt of his warhammer into the closest militia man's face, debilitating him and nearly knocking him flat on his behind. Enraged, he lashes out in retaliation against the armored man.

In contrast, the last of the Chelish Citizens' Group enforcers is being subjected to something out of comedy. His continued exposure to Lillisandra's touch is rotting the foundations of his mind, as he remains in one place. Even as entire groups of citizens flee the protest, the display elicits confused and incredulous stares from partisan and dottari alike. Nobody really knows what to do about the drow cleric.

Show
    Actions for the turn! The guy with Lillisandra continues to be dazed through the end of next turn, so he's **** useless. Eva is going to eat two non-lethal attacks, and Aaron is going to take another. Let's see if they have better luck for Round 2! You guys are smart, not using lethal tactics yet. I don't think Hitori's grapple has resolved yet, so these will just be normal attacks.

Attack 1 (vs. Eva): (1d20-1)[4] for (1d6+2)[3] nonlethal (crit confirm: (1d20-1)[8]

Attack 2 (vs. Eva): (1d20-1)[8] for (1d6+2)[4] nonlethal (crit confirm: (1d20-1)[11])

Attack 3 (vs. Aaron): (1d20-1)[11] for (1d6+2)[8] nonlethal (crit confirm: (1d20-1)[7])

Edit: oh look! These guys continue to be the worst opponents ever.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2015-09-19 at 02:41 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

27. - Top - End - #57

Hitori picks up the halfling off the ground and exits the battlefield.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the unlikely event that Eva breaks the grapple, I will post a new set of actions.

Grapple to pin: (1d20+9)[28]

28. - Top - End - #58

As Eva swings at the brute assaulting the tiefling she feels the cold steel grip of an idiot grab her by the arms preventing her from incapacitating another idiot who wanted to harm innocent people. A wave of emotions surged through ranging from confusion to panic but they were soon dominated by one: pure unadulterated fury "Let go of me now you piss poor excuse of a human being! The best part of you ran down your mother's legs and stained the sheets because only an idiot would prevent someone, who is actually a concerned citizen not lapping up the bulls*it being fed to them by a tyrannical regime, from protecting others. You have no grounds to violate my personal space unless you really are a rapist....Oh GODS you are a RAPIST, someone HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP MMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THIS PSYCCHO IS GOING TO MURDER ME THEN DESECRATE MY CORPSE!" Frantically the halfling spins around and takes the only avenue left open to her. It was certainly a long shot considering such a person wearing armor like this was over compensating for their lack of certain body features but in her desperation she prayed to the Dawnflower to guide her aim to save herself from this terrible fate.

Spoiler: The fated roll
    Show
    For the Dawnflower, for GREAT JUSTICE! to hit the gonads (1d20-4)[10]
    damage non lethal (1d2)[2]
    Blarg...

29. - Top - End - #59

The rambling halfling kicks Hitori in the crotch and he rolls his eyes as her boot comes into contact with his steel armor. "I will take it from here."

He carries the halfling away from the protest as non-chalantly as one might carry a shopping bag. As he walks he looks down at the struggling girl. "I would appreciate it if you didn't besmirch my good name in public. I am not a -whoa!"

The knight winces as one of his steps on uneven ground sends a shockwave up his leg to the cut on his knee. He shifts his weight, trying to keep his balance, and the hand holding the halfling in place loosens for just a moment before returning to an iron grip, not around her waist but a certain, softer part of her anatomy. Hitori quickly adjusts his grip back around her waist.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

Watching the nobleman smash the Chelish Citizen's face with his hammer, Cynnisa shifts her grip on her stick. Neither of them is going to abandon the fight, and while the Citizen was clearly losing, it is taking too long for him to go down. At this rate, the Hellknight will have carried off his quarry by the time her help arrives. Still, Cynissa hesitates, gorge rising in her throat. The thug doesn't look so good, and she isn't a killer. Not even in Pezzack, where the fighting had been worse than this.

The Citizen swings wildly back at the nobleman, missing by a league. His shifting, unsteady stance—no doubt exacerbated by a broken nose—gives Cynissa an idea. She shoves her walking stick between his legs and sweeps it to the side. Unfortunately, he catches it with his foot and kicks the crook of her stick back towards her stomach.1

1 My flavor for his AoO.

Show
    "Let's go? He can't keep up."
    she says. Even with the thug upright, it's true. Cynissa can see the protesters giving the nobleman the same wide berth they'd given her.

Spoiler: Cynissa
    Show
    Cynissa Castillito
    mwk cane +2 (1d6+1, x2)
    (+2 Dex)
    Condition None

Show
    Standard Action trip attempt vs. the Chelish Citizen between me and Aaron (provokes attack of opportunity): (1d20+3)[9]
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2015-09-25 at 08:54 PM.