New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: If you want something saved from WotC, do it now

So not sure if this is a good or bad thing but...

Can we now start saying that 5E killed the Wotc forums?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

All digital content ever produced by WotC has been poorly received. Mostly because it's deserved it. Given how small their budget is and how limited their staff are now, I'm not surprised that the forums are being thrown in the trash. Can't say I'm sad to see them go as they were always poorly managed and maintained and built, in my opinion. Then again, I also don't like the idea of all the information and power over D&D conversation now being held in the hands of independent, third-parties like EN World and even sites like this one. It's nothing personal, it's just that every privately owned website has a private agenda and community with a strong bias. I don't think that is, ultimately, good for D&D. It's good to have such sites as alternates to a primary voice controlled by the company itself, but not as the sole source.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I am not a fan of the direction they are taking with the web site. I was a huge fan of the online character builder in 4e, and used it to keep up to date characters sheets for the players in my campaign. The fact that they are now endorsing cumbersome third-party applications is disappointing, to say the least. I am not surprised that the forums will be following the same trend. I am hoping that a lot of the older information from inactive posters is somehow archived.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by steppedonad4 View Post
    All digital content ever produced by WotC has been poorly received. Mostly because it's deserved it. Given how small their budget is and how limited their staff are now, I'm not surprised that the forums are being thrown in the trash. Can't say I'm sad to see them go as they were always poorly managed and maintained and built, in my opinion. Then again, I also don't like the idea of all the information and power over D&D conversation now being held in the hands of independent, third-parties like EN World and even sites like this one. It's nothing personal, it's just that every privately owned website has a private agenda and community with a strong bias. I don't think that is, ultimately, good for D&D. It's good to have such sites as alternates to a primary voice controlled by the company itself, but not as the sole source.
    I'm not an avid forum goer but from what I gather the Wotc forum has always been quite toxic.

The charop and guide builders were awesome (used them as reference more than a few times) but when you get away from there (from what I've been told and shown) things turned crappy real fast.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Part of the problem for companies is that it's expensive to maintain an official forums area. I mean, you have to maintain them, pay for moderators; it adds up very quickly. Companies also don't necessarily get a lot of benefit from them either. I mean, someone makes a ruling or announcement that a group doesn't like, and the place goes up in flames. They don't need a forums to make announcements, they post them directly. They don't need forums to get feedback any more, there's reddit, twitter, facebook, independently-run forums, hell even comment sections on the announcements. Not to mention, their forums aren't exactly the best designed. They probably had a sit down and decided that the cost of all the updates and running it was outweighed by the benefits of dropping them.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Their reasoning sucks. You can't search twitter for discussion on a rule point, or a class design.

At least they should just lock the forums and leave them up as an archive.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post
    I'm not an avid forum goer but from what I gather the Wotc forum has always been quite toxic.

The charop and guide builders were awesome (used them as reference more than a few times) but when you get away from there (from what I've been told and shown) things turned crappy real fast.
    Funny I always thought that this forum was a lot more toxic than anything I remember from the WotC forums. There are so many times I think I should just not even look at this place but I have to admit the off chance of seeing something new makes me come back. Heck if it was not for the web comic I would probably frequent there more often.

Actually I take it back as every time they updated their lay out I ended up hating it more and more. I did not hate the community but the layout of the forums just did not work with me. At one point they looked very similar to this layout which I liked but over the years little things just kept annoying me about it.

I miss the old OP forums...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

I lost most of the fun optimization stuff I was a part of in the last forum update, nothing on there now I'll miss too much. Still a shame to see a community die

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Does anyone know if any good 4E guides have been saved to other sites? I tend to refer people to guides written better than I could ever do it and Wotc foru was one of the main sources for them.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Huh, that's going to screw with my thread. Something approaching half of the guides up there are hosted on those forums.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post
    In my opinion the problems there stemmed primarily from their methods of moderation. They would simply delete whole swathes of conversations which angered everyone participating in the thread. Moreover, much like at many forums, there were certain elements who learned how to tow the line between trolling and not being moderated. So they would antagonise people, get those people banned, and in essence control the conversation towards their own ends. It's also one of the biggest problems with ENW, in my opinion, although I think that's compounded by a lot of cliques there who either have moderation power or influence, either due to real-world friendships or simply long-term established personalities that are given the benefit of the doubt over any dissenting contributors. Essentially, the favouritism there is intense.

Then you have the RPGsite. The less said about that place the better.

Despite having a downvote brigade that definitely targets certain posters (yes, I happen to be one of them, but I also have other accounts where I say essentially the same thing, only with different language and either get upvoted or left alone, which I feel says everything about the voting activity there), I find reddit to be the best source of open discussion, primarily because it's the least moderated of the options. Moderation, in my opinion, only ever seems to lead to cliques, favouritism and extreme limiting of discussion towards a certain accepted community bias. This makes for very dull, one-sided, and unimaginative, uncreative discussion.

Maybe WotC could make an 'official' reddit sub? And not moderate it. At all. That would be awesome.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Usually we can find builds and guides either here, brilliantgameologists, or enworld. There any such on the community forum?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Huh, that's going to screw with my thread. Something approaching half of the guides up there are hosted on those forums.
    Also using guides was a lot better there than here. Here if a guide is is not used for a while you have to technically do an illegeal thread necro. There it was not an issue AND they had all the guides stickied in a special thread at the top of the OP forums. It was very helpful for sure.

I think my overall most favorite thread was the homebrew your own vestige thread. I actually have a number of vestiges on that thread including Starscream, Spinal Tap, and others. I should reacquire those before they are gone for good.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Will this affect the value of my Magic card collection?
    "But what of those to whom life is not an ocean, and man-made laws are not sand-towers ... What of the cripple who hates dancers? What of the ox who loves his yoke and deems the elk and deer of the forest stray and vagrant things? ... What shall I say of these save that they too stand in the sunlight, but with their backs to the sun? They see only their shadows, and their shadows are their laws. And what is the sun to them but a caster of shadows?"
    —Kahlil Gibran
    (avatar ibid)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's a bummer. Even if they discontinued use of the forums, surely it wouldn't impact their business notably to keep text archives up of the forums. Guess I need to go copy the diplomacy jumplomancer thing...

Edit: Oh! And basket weaving!
    Last edited by supersonic29; 2015-09-16 at 11:00 PM.
    You can call me Daryll if you want.

"I am everything you want me to be, but nothing you expect me to be."

Thurbane's signature is far more useful than mine.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

I had quit the forums when 4E came out and they gutted the 3E forums. 3E conversations became less interesting as those who still liked it moved on to elsewhere, probably here and/or Paizo. WOTC mainly cared about the 4E forums. Since I didn't play the game, WOTC forums were no longer for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Do they have an API or something? Or are they just shutting it down with no reasonable way for someone to actually download a significant portion of it?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

I've copied the Lists of Stuff and uploaded it as a pdf here (with the links fixed to archive.wizards). Feel free to share the link, put it in your signature, etc. Let me know if it works and is in a convenient format; if it does and is, I'll do the same for the other items Curmudgeon mentioned. It's pretty much just the raw text of the list for now; top priority is saving stuff but if I have the time I may organize the re-hosts in a google site or some other similar format to keep them all in one place.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: WoTC closing fourms.

Great Modthulhu: Merged with the existing thread on this topic in Roleplaying Games, as this is a pan-edition issue.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Great. Time to fire up httrack again. If I succeed, is there anything stopping me from posting it all as a downloadable on google drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

What about saving particular pages to the webarchive?

23. - Top - End - #53

PaladinGuy

I don't have as much to say as a D&D player, but for Magic: The Gathering, the WotC forums were pretty much dead.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by D+1 View Post
    watching players RELENTLESSLY picking apart their game rules and needing to plug the holes.
    That's actually a positive thing for them, believe it or not. Getting constant feedback like that helps them understand the consumer and learn to meet their needs better, which in turn leads to higher satisfaction and probably a better position in the industry. 5th edition D&D seems like a good example of this; WotC took more than a decade of feedback into account and used it to release a greatly improved product which many of us prefer over prior editions. Most companies know the value of such feedback and pay out the wazoo for it, but many of WotC's customers put their thoughts and experiences online for free. Nitpicking at WotC's products and suggesting improvements is probably the best thing we can do for them; it helps them get better, and it shows that they have passionate consumers who want to see the brand improve.

Also, if giants like WotC can make big expenses like playtesting and customer service (such as regular errata, revisions, advice columns, etc) required to compete in the tabletop RPG market, that can raise another barrier to entry and make it harder for smaller players to challenge them. If they get us used to a constant cycle of feedback and service, then anyone who wants to take their market-share will need to compete with that.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Seems that the main reason is 'why spend money and effort on servers and forum moderation when they're plenty of alternative places to share information and opinions'.

EDIT: An elaboration:
    Quote Originally Posted by Temperjoke View Post
    Part of the problem for companies is that it's expensive to maintain an official forums area. I mean, you have to maintain them, pay for moderators; it adds up very quickly. Companies also don't necessarily get a lot of benefit from them either. I mean, someone makes a ruling or announcement that a group doesn't like, and the place goes up in flames. They don't need a forums to make announcements, they post them directly. They don't need forums to get feedback any more, there's reddit, twitter, facebook, independently-run forums, hell even comment sections on the announcements. Not to mention, their forums aren't exactly the best designed. They probably had a sit down and decided that the cost of all the updates and running it was outweighed by the benefits of dropping them.
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-09-17 at 12:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

OldWizardGuy

There's been some amount of CharOp guides moved to ENWorld, but the majority still need to be moved. I might have to figure out how to wiki and pitch in on that.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

wait, I think the wild shape bible i use is there, though i have found almost everything else I use on another site. Such as the lists of stuff on brillientgameologists.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, they're taking down their entire forums? I wasn't expecting that!

If people are compiling guides on Enworld, then the Utility Belt guide could be useful.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

To everyone who is saving materials in a publicly accessible way (i.e. web archive or something):

We really need a thread to index everything that has been saved already, so we can figure out what's left.

I'd make it myself, but I'm too inactive to do any sort of maintaining of threads...
    Jon Snow and Ghost avatar (not currently in use) by Gurgleflep 15370262 328.
    How to play a monster.

I am currently Very Busy, and having limited D&D activity, so I am currently inactive.
    I got a long signature!
    DFTBA! Smilies!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by steppedonad4 View Post
    In my opinion the problems there stemmed primarily from their methods of moderation. They would simply delete whole swathes of conversations which angered everyone participating in the thread. Moreover, much like at many forums, there were certain elements who learned how to tow the line between trolling and not being moderated. So they would antagonise people, get those people banned, and in essence control the conversation towards their own ends. It's also one of the biggest problems with ENW, in my opinion, although I think that's compounded by a lot of cliques there who either have moderation power or influence, either due to real-world friendships or simply long-term established personalities that are given the benefit of the doubt over any dissenting contributors. Essentially, the favouritism there is intense.

Then you have the RPGsite. The less said about that place the better.

Despite having a downvote brigade that definitely targets certain posters (yes, I happen to be one of them, but I also have other accounts where I say essentially the same thing, only with different language and either get upvoted or left alone, which I feel says everything about the voting activity there), I find reddit to be the best source of open discussion, primarily because it's the least moderated of the options. Moderation, in my opinion, only ever seems to lead to cliques, favouritism and extreme limiting of discussion towards a certain accepted community bias. This makes for very dull, one-sided, and unimaginative, uncreative discussion.

Maybe WotC could make an 'official' reddit sub? And not moderate it. At all. That would be awesome.
    Reddit definitely has that issue, no question, I typically use that site for the front page and to get my daily dose of News. That place can be the best part of the internet and be the worst part all at the same time.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a good, unofficial, d&d specific forum pop up eventually. Maybe ran by one of the 3rd parties that will be working on 5E stuff.

Or maybe Paizo will swoop in and make a D&D specific forum, just out of spite (we are better than you mwuahaha) and some advertisement dollars on the side.