New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyside 4

1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Skyside 4

Dashing

Yes, because sudden mutation is totally normal. Do you really think she'll fall for that? mentally screams Sam, as he manages to get one of his hands onto a nearby brick wall, whereupon it sticks.
    Sure, he doesn't have even half control of his body right now. But neither do you, and good luck un-sticking that hand before another takes its place, since each can support half of his body weight.
    Which is a lot.
    ...oh, man.

Either way, it probably looks really strange.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Stumbling

Alexia looks at Sam in confusion as she leans against the nearest wall to try and figure out what's going on. Her mind is fuzzy and dull and there's static on the edges of her vision. Even so, something didn't seem right. He wasn't controlling his legs or something? But why say that it was nothing after sounding so scared for a moment? This wasn't right and there was obviously something going on, but what. Eh...screw it. She thinks before pulling out her rifle and shouldering it. One last shot. She thinks before concentrating, putting her remaining energy into the final shot. It's a weak one, but at this range, it didn't have to be a strong Scramble. Just in case something was going on like her intuition was telling her, maybe it'd help.

After the shot, Alexia collapses, landing on the side with the barb and shoving it in deeper as her rifle skitters on the ground.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Knight View Post
    [Ninja and the Sniper]

Luna's eyes widen at the part where he yells. She doesn't move until he makes to leave. "So that's how it's gonna be, huh? Sorry you feel that WAY!" She yells the last word and throws a punch at him.

'This is fun! You guys are adorable.' Rai comments.‎
    Ninja And The Sniper

Trying to sucker punch the arguably most successful assassin in the Nexus? Setting yourself up for failure is a phrase Evan might use.

He evades the strike and keeps walking into the plume of mist, looking back at Luna over his shoulder.

Like I said. Amateur. You can't even lay a hand on me. I'm gonna go hang out with someone way less insane, way more fun and way hotter than you now. Have a fun day.

With that the assassin disappears in the smoke leaving only a disdainful chuckle in his wake.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Dashing]

Whump. The force closing it's grip around Sam throws him into the wall, cracking skull against bricks. Blood and steam trail from his mouth, sparks spilling out on his breath like from breaking machinery. "Oh nNnoO you dOon't boy." The voice comes out a miserable groan, and as the blast from Alexia's rifle sweeps over them and the girl falls, toppling out of frame from his frozen eyes, the voice crawling out his throat seems to change.

"I'll get yoouu, Bacon." The fire on his back is fading, the numb weight on his limbs receding. The hairy lump of arguing voices leans slumped headfirst to the walls. "Caaan't run forever, can't help but run outta friends, not when I get them all tooo.. Out of the frying pan, into the fires.."

But then it's gone. A twist of ugly green fire whispered away on his next breath, a foul taste of ash clinging to the back of his teeth. A headache like nobody's business.
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2016-01-20 at 08:32 PM.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Dashing ->MERC?

Sam coughs for a bit, trying to get that awful taste of blood and ash out of his mouth. He spits, but some of it dribbles onto his vest, since his mouth doesn't seem to be working right. With a curse, he wipes it all on his vest and gingerly goes to pick up Alexia and her rifle, as gently as he can, and sprints back the way they came.

Once they find the door to the base, he'll be opening the door and rushing in, contrary to any suggestions, signs, etc to suggest he do otherwise.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

[Tempest Row - Tempest Spaceport]

A ragged sigh found its way out of a confused mage. Blue and black robes adorned with a variety of emblems and sigils billowed behind Marcus as he strode through the spaceport, doing what he could--poorly at best--to blend in. Clearly, he was out of his element, surrounded by all this technology. That scottish VIGILite explained briefly about such things, but all the sights up here in Skyside far exceeded any description the man could've dreamed to offer the Signomancer. Every once in a while he would spot some of the security making what appeared to be their routine patrols around the spaceport, while the young wizard walked amongst the lively commercial areas alongside the rest of the traffic. Mark glanced down at his notepad, nearly full of times and places, to verify if the patrol matched their previous run. They did, thank Neumannus. The weary, young prodigy wandered off to find a place to sit down and consolidate his notes a bit more.

A bench served to be one of the more welcoming sights of his day, as Marcus slumped into the seat and pulled out his bag. Giving it a quick tap with his middle and index finger, he simply stated "Maps." and wondered to himself, how in the planes it took him less time to scout out the perimetric Guard stationed and patrolling the Sky Palace Tower. This was supposed to be a single spaceport, or so it was described to him. How could it be so damned complicated? Mark guessed it was how it was run, likely. Guilds in general, from his own limited experience, allowed for a bit more freedom in regards to organization. Fewer things were ever bothered to be standardized. It made the Signomancer sick, if only just a bit. Soon following his words, a thick grey catalog-looking book levitated from out his bag, impossibly big for such a small container to be able to hold, so it would seem. Uncharacteristically for the young Runeheart, this book wasn't labelled at all. A quick precursory glance to his surroundings to make sure nobody was too terribly interested, he held the book between his thumb and fist, and within a moment, myriad tiny icons and markings seemed to grow from where Marcus held the book, glowing slightly before fading. Knowing now that any curious onlooker other than himself would see the pages contained therein as illusions, hiding the pages' true nature, he quickly flipped the book open and went to work.

Updating the patrol runs is easy enough, he thought to himself. It's the surveillance I'm sure they've got set up everywhere that bugs me. I won't know what half the stuff even looks like. At least this way it just looks like I'm shopping. Harmless enough.

As the mage virtually attacked the paper with a quill, his thoughts stopped short of another pressing thought.

...I guess this is just what they have showing too. All these organizations probably have all kinds of aces up their sleeves for any huge kind of threat. How am I going to get any info on things like that? Maybe mindreading?

The Signomancer sat there in silence for a bit, updating his maps, patrol schedules and the like, simply lost in thought. Seemingly too much so to likely notice anybody approach until they were right in from of him.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

[Ninja sniper yada yada]

Luna huffs and disappears into a cloud of lightning, where she'll go and meet her teammates and what not.‎

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Office]

The small MERC office, founded before the groups big entrance into Skyside, is rather unassuming. Nonetheless, Sam's barging in is met with a rather swift response. He'll find several guns pointed at him, as well as a large Asuran golem bearing down on him.

"Hold it right there and state your business," says a bald, tattooed dwarf almost as broad as she is tall, holding an impressive double-barrelled shotgun.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC office

Sam looks at the dwarf with more annoyance than anything else.
    "My friend's bleeding out. I need to hire your medic. Or at least buy a potion." Sam says, after a small snorting sputter. Everything feels off, but maybe that's the concussion talking.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Office]

The guns are lowered and the golem steps back. Someone barging in, looking for medical attention, isn't uncommon in Skyside.

"Right. Someone help him carry her in the back. Let our team have a look," the dwarf says. They'll present Sam with the bill later.
    Last edited by Morty; 2016-01-21 at 11:57 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Office

"I'm fine. I can barely feel her. But uh, I guess I could use a spare bandage if you have any lying around. " he says, looking at his one injured hand. Judging from the amount of blood and the bite marks, he might need more than that.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Office]

The mercenaries put Alexia on a stretcher and hurry her into the medical room. Given the kind of the work this place is dedicated to, and the nature of Skyside, the infirmary is well-stocked and has competent doctors. The wound over her eye is stitched easily enough, but the spine proves to be a problem. The doctors realize that simply pulling it out is risky, and magic would just close the skin and muscle over it. They work to keep her stable while CB arrives from the mountain base.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Office

Sam will just find a a non-important looking chair (or chairs) and sit down, taking off his vest and using it as a rag for his still-bleeding hand. He's sure they'll get to him eventually. Alexia clearly has priority. He was going to burn this vest anyway.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Office]

Once Alexia is stabilized, one of the medics arrives to bandage Sam and give him a mild healing draught. The bald dwarf from earlier arrives as well.

"She's in a real bad shape," she says. "But the droid from the main HQ should be able to handle it. Is whoever did it to her likely to show up and try to finish the job?"

She does not ask who did it and why. That's not the kind of question MERC asks.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Office

Sam chugs the draught down in one go, even if mouth doesn't feel right at the moment. His forehead wound closes up, and his hand shouldn't need more than normal bandages now. The spine-wound in his gut is likewise half-closed, but he hasn't even paid any attention to that one due to its small size.
    "On her? Definitely not. On me? Doubtful. They're more calculating than that. You guys just moved in but you did so in force, and they're not going to start a war with you over the insult and hospital bills I cost 'em."
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2016-01-22 at 08:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Office]

The mercenaries have no more questions for Sam before Alexia is stabilized. Eventually, CB manages to extract the quill with a careful incision. However, she doesn't seem likely to wake up soon. One way or the other, Sam will be approached by the same dwarf as before. At some point she introduced herself as Sabine.

"Your friend is going to pull through," she says. "She's still comatose, but our medic removed that spike and stitched her wounds. Now we're going to have to discuss the matter of compensation for his time."
    Last edited by Morty; 2016-01-23 at 06:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Office

Sam nods.
    "I thought as much. I guilted the Ethereals into giving me a nice bonus for what they did to me. So, what kind of bill are we talking, and what do you expect me to do when it's more than I have?" he says, crossing his arms as he looks down at the dwarf. He isn't trying to look intimidating with his frown and size difference, but to many not of Sabine's line of work, it might be anyway. Doubtful it is to her though, since she's the one with a firearm.

Sam knew he'd be in debt from this before they walked in. But Alexia didn't have time for him to be choosy.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Office]

"The bill will be [fairly large sum]. We did need to bring our best medic here, and it took a while. If you can't foot the entire bill now, we're open to installments. Or non-monetary payments. Our boss is big on those."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Office

Sam shakes his head. "I can make a pretty big chunk in that, but not all of it right now. What sort of things do you want that isn't money? Work? Info? Trade-able goods?" he asks.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Wandering]

Starting in the Cloudtops, up on the wall surrounding her home. Hops to the ground, falling slower than one probably should. Couple of stories, feels like just a couple of feet. Blue boots hit the ground and slide; she skates off down the road like she has wheels to ride on. Turns towards a railing, stretches her wings-

-wait, no, this body doesn't have any wings. That's why she's wearing this ridiculous plaid flannel shirt and mining pants instead of a reasonable jumpsuit. She hits the railing, flips over, and tumbles down to a lower street, landing on a roadside bench with a muffled crash.

'Go out and see the city' they said. 'It'll be fun' they said. As she sits up, she idly rubs the name-number designation tattooed on her left hand. Helps with the pain somehow. Wow. It's really dark on the lower levels, in the shadow of the towers and the higher level streets.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Office]

"Information might be valuable. Especially about he people who attacked you. Can you tell us anything about them?" Sabine asks. They do sound like knowing more might be a boon.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Office

Sam nods, though he can't help but sigh.
    "They like using SRS as the acronym for their fronts. I don't know if it's what they use to actually refer to the organization themselves. They've advertised in papers before, basic sounding odd-jobs. It's backfired, of course. So much 'work' lingo in there I never even figured out it was a hit until they were handing me a gun. They've got resources and decent tactics, it seems, but I can't say brains is their strength if I managed to string them along as well as I did. The place I met 'em, though. It was...too clean. The workers there seemed legit, but his desk wasn't decorated at all. I'm guessing they paid to use it, set it up as a front. So their main base is going to be hard to track down. I can give you the address, and the one of the hospital they've got their hands in, but I can bet they're long gone. If you track the payments for me when I was in that hospital, maybe you can find whoever does their numbers. I don't know.

The guy in charge was a little pig. Literally. Had a bodyguard carry him around, but who it was changed at least once. Don't know how high up the chain he was, but like I said, he fell for a teenager bluffing him, and he's got an ego like you wouldn't believe. He can control people with a touch; that's how he talks. Feels nasty, don't let it happen to you. There was a guy holding a shark at the Thanksmas party, don't know if that was them. Big ork workin' the desk, too. Don't know what the general capabilities of their guys are, but there are gel-guns. It's poison, shuts down nerves and organs. Nasty and looks natural. Guy lopped my arm off just 'cause it got on my hand.

Sam realizes that since he's got four perfectly fine arms, it sounds a bit weird.
    I, uh, got a replacement. And then some. Anyway, I can give you a sample. Hands are too big to use it now anyway. They sicced attack creatures on us. Dog-sized, spiny, with humanish faces. That's what got Alexia. There was a mage in the party, to generate all those illusions. Whipped up a gale fulla ice to throw at Alexia. I don't think anyone even saw it. Hit me with some kinda spell, took a few minutes but when it kicked in the pig was tryin' to control my body. Worked pretty well, too, but she dispelled it. Also messed up my face, I think, could feel my skin crawling. Haven't checked the damage on that one." he admits. He's been much too frightened to ask for a mirror. Sadly, Sam doesn't have enough of a magical education to have recognized the manticores.
    "That enough to work with?"

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Office]

The dwarf nods and takes notes.

"That's very interesting information. It should be enough to reduce the medical bill quite a bit. So your friend got hurt just because she happened to be near you?"

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Office

Sam shakes his head.
    "No, she got hurt because she was trying to protect me. I doubt they'd have cared if she'd run off. They were trying to capture me, but based on what the pig said while he had control of my mouth, I think he just wants to gloat in person before they shoot me."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Wandering]

Starting in the Cloudtops, up on the wall surrounding her home. Hops to the ground, falling slower than one probably should. Couple of stories, feels like just a couple of feet. Blue boots hit the ground and slide; she skates off down the road like she has wheels to ride on. Turns towards a railing, stretches her wings-

-wait, no, this body doesn't have any wings. That's why she's wearing this ridiculous plaid flannel shirt and mining pants instead of a reasonable jumpsuit. She hits the railing, flips over, and tumbles down to a lower street, landing on a roadside bench with a muffled crash.

'Go out and see the city' they said. 'It'll be fun' they said. As she sits up, she idly rubs the name-number designation tattooed on her left hand. Helps with the pain somehow. Wow. It's really dark on the lower levels, in the shadow of the towers and the higher level streets.
    Among the shadows, there's one particular shadow that's ever so slightly darker than the rest, not noticeable unless one were to deliberately look for it.

This shadow followed the wingless jumper, and when the latter crashed into a railing, the former has momentarily lagged behind and revealed its form - that of a young woman who looked nothing like the jumper. For one thing, she's (it's?) clearly wearing a skirt instead of pants.

The ladylike shadow slinks into the shadow of the bench, and disappears yet again.

26. - Top - End - #266

[Bench-Crashing]

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Among the shadows, there's one particular shadow that's ever so slightly darker than the rest, not noticeable unless one were to deliberately look for it.

This shadow followed the wingless jumper, and when the latter crashed into a railing, the former has momentarily lagged behind and revealed its form - that of a young woman who looked nothing like the jumper. For one thing, she's (it's?) clearly wearing a skirt instead of pants.

The ladylike shadow slinks into the shadow of the bench, and disappears yet again.
    Maybe it wasn't a coincidence that she tripped. There's something here!
    Right after Nai No. 5 gets to her feet, she's crouching down to look under the bench.

"Hello?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

[Post-Crashing]

Not a sound. The shadowlady stays perfectly still, blending in with the shadow of the bench.

Many times before, a person seemingly calls out to her, but turns out to be talking to someone else entirely. The shadow wouldn't expect anyone to actually talk to her.

28. - Top - End - #268

[Crash Investigations]

"Hello? I was sure something was here..."
    Which is probably a bad sign. If it didn't want to be seen.
    Nai straightens up and looks around curiously.

"What are you here for? I know I saw you!"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

[Crash Investigations]

The shadowlady decides to pick up a little courage.

A small shadow slowly rises above the big shadow cast by the bench. Funnily enough, the small shadow is in the form of a word, a short tentative question:

"Me?"
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-01-24 at 11:43 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270

[Crash Investigations]

There we go. Words in the darkness.
    "You? Hello!"
    Nai looks around curiously, up and down and behind, expecting that something is casting the shadow.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine