New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Good module for first-timers?

I'm going to be DMing a game (3.5) for four people who haven't played before. Other than one thing... Five years ago? Wow... that collapsed as soon as it began, I haven't ever DMed a game, or played a non-pbp. So, between my being new to this and them being newer, I was going to go with a simple low-level module. Does anyone have any recommendations? I had been thinking of using A Dark and Stormy Knight, but realized that "look down the list until you see something marked as first-level" is probably not the best selection method.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Good module for first-timers?

Maybe Sunless Citadel?

There are a couple of "trouble spots" in the module, but for the most part is pretty clean and simple.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm a fan of Temple of Elemental Evil myself, though its been quite a while since I've played it

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Hollow's last hope is a fun module, and you can find it for free online completely legally.

edit: here it is
    Last edited by TIPOT; 2015-09-27 at 10:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Fields of Ruin is a good ol classic.. Open area, ruin keep, minor dungeon crawl with a minor planar feel.. has a little bit of everything.. If nothing else it's a good adventure seed to branch off to the planes, the underdark. Interesting place of intrigue or side quest and relatively quick(1-2 sessions).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RolandDeschain View Post
    Maybe Sunless Citadel?

There are a couple of "trouble spots" in the module, but for the most part is pretty clean and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by TIPOT View Post
    Hollow's last hope is a fun module, and you can find it for free online completely legally.

edit: here it is
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNoob View Post
    Fields of Ruin is a good ol classic.. Open area, ruin keep, minor dungeon crawl with a minor planar feel.. has a little bit of everything.. If nothing else it's a good adventure seed to branch off to the planes, the underdark. Interesting place of intrigue or side quest and relatively quick(1-2 sessions).
    All look interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleolus View Post
    I'm a fan of Temple of Elemental Evil myself, though its been quite a while since I've played it
    But that's 1e, and the Return starts at higher level and (from a glance at a summary) looks like it's made for a group that played the original. Is there a conversion? All I've found is errata for a conversion, but not what it applies to.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I honestly don't know. Unfortunately the only version I've ever actually played was the pc game released by Troika *hangs head in shame*

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Age of Worms and Shackled City are both Dragon mag 1-20 campaigns that are fairly well written. SC is pretty low op too and available in hardcover

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'll strongly second Sunless Citadel, which is what my first 3.5 group played to dive into the new system. It was memorably fun (alas, poor Meepo, we barely knew him) and segues smoothly into The Forge of Fury, which is a great dungeon crawl on its own.

These two modules were my first exposure to D&D after a lapse of 15 years at least, and I was instantly hooked. I'd recommend you try Sunless Citadel, and if you and your group like it, Forge of Fury is right there waiting for you, which gives you as the DM something to continue the game while you begin to develop your own broader storyline.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I'll strongly second Sunless Citadel, which is what my first 3.5 group played to dive into the new system. It was memorably fun (alas, poor Meepo, we barely knew him) and segues smoothly into The Forge of Fury, which is a great dungeon crawl on its own.
    Allow me to 3rd Sunless Citadel. It will be a solid start to your DMing career.

As a warning I would steer clear of Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk. It is a bit confusingly written and starts moderately high.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I will also recommend Sunless Citadel. It is a fantastic first level adventure. I started a campaign journal when I started running that campaign; maybe it will be helpful to you if you decide to run Sunless Citadel. You can read it here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=14113.0

I also have a text document with all the correctly-updated 3.5 stats for everything in the module. PM me an email address and I'll send it to you.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally, I think A Dark and Stormy Knight is a great introduction adventure. It only took my group (all beginners at the time) one session to play through and gave them a good base for game mechanics. Since it's quite short, you can easily go on to Sunless Citadel or some other first level adventure after.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

As an off the wall suggestion Expedition to Undermountain offers a 1-10 path. My biggest complaint is that draws off a large number of somewhat eclectic sources.
    My primary vote is with Sunless Citadel. I just wanted to offer another choice.