New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Prince Abooboo (Wander Inn Mission)

It's been a two-day carriage ride into the western lands, with equal amounts of anticipation and anxiety on the part of the guests. The boundary into Ababua is marked by the decline of natural vegetation and the rise of dunes of sand, and the Wanderers are forced to part ways with the carriage and instead board a sand sled pulled by magebred jackals across the dry ocean. You travel mostly by dawn and dusk, sleeping out the heat of midday and the chill of the night. It's another two days before the sand becomes smoother, and trees appear on the horizon. This is your destination, the oasis paradise of Ababua, made wealthy by...well, who knows what, really, it's in the middle of the desert. But whatever makes it worth the scratch, it's got plenty of it. Deep subterranean rivers bubble up over sands, making the paths between building constructed atop sandstone more akin to Venetian waterways than anything. While there are all kinds of stalls selling curios, the main draw is clearly the enormous stone palace situated in the center of this liquid labyrinth. You see yours is not the first jackal-sled to show up, nor will it be the last. Gondolas ferry all manner of nobles clearly here for the festivities toward the castle, and there is one waiting for your party as you arrive.

You join the procession of gondolas and reach the entryway to the impossibly large castle rising out from the water. You step off onto the floating wooden dock, and progress to the entryway where a strikingly handsome man with rust-red skin is shaking hands with the guests who arrived just ahead. He's dressed in pristine white cloth, loosely wrapped around himself, and in the light it shines with gold thread woven in. He flashes you a pearly smile, and his skin is literally glowing - he's an Asherati!
    "And who do we have here? I wish I knew every face that was coming-oh, but of course, I do! Why dust the sand from my eyes, you're the mages of Wander Inn, are you not? No, you must be! What a privilege to meet you, I'd been wishing to make your acquaintance, I've been such a fan for such a long time. I am Prince Ali, your generous, charming, witty, hilarious, devilishly handsome and dare I even say humbly modest host for these festivities, Hahahaha! You honor me with your presence, Wanderers, and I do intend to honor you with mine! Ehehehehe! Oh no, wait, perhaps...Your presence is a gift that not even my presents can compare to? Laaahahaha, yes, yes, that one's even funnier! Imagine that I said that instead! Pahahaha!"
    Prince Ali clasps each of your hands one by one and shakes it firmly.
    "Please, please, make yourselves comfortable and at home. To tide yourself over from your journey you may feel free to partake of the fruits, meats, and sweets, whatever you wish. Look over there! Marzipan boy! Marzipan boy!"
    A young Halfling in a tuxedo dashes over carrying a silver tray of brightly colored soft candies, a few of which Prince Ali snaps up.
    "Delightful! Mmf, aobshelutely delishush. Do avail yourself of the spiced kebab meat, dear sir. And perhaps the lady would care for a few figs. Or perhaps she would like to share a date with me? Ahahahaha, do you think it's possible to be too charming? Because you know, I think I may well be! Ahahaha!"
    He pauses to eat another blob of marzipan.
    "If you'd care to refresh yourselves there are innumerable baths filled with fresh springwater drawn from the earth. Yes, yes, spring water, even though it is autumn. How absurd, is it not? Ahahahaha! And every guest is provided with their own room, of course, we have halls within halls just for that purpose. You'll find every luxury you could ever wish for in every room. So yes, please, come in, mingle, relax. And do let the staff know what your Monstrous Masque of choice is. The festivities that we're...greatly excited about, really, entirely happy and voluntary, will begin properly as the sun sets, but there's no reason to restrain yourself from the fffffffun! I promise you, I want to be doing this."
    He gives you a smile, a nod, and a deep bow, before turning away and giving a very similar speech to the next guests who arrive. You doubt you could pry him away if you wished to.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Prince Abooboo (Wander Inn Mission)

Darwin bows cordially to the golden-skinned Prince. Seeing absoletely nothing wrong with anything in the entirety of his speech. "Ffank hoo, yurr graiftfh." The young Elf mumbles through mouthfuls of marzipan. He actually takes the time to follow the marzipan boy a little ways off in search of yet more confectionary. He speaks freely to the Halfling. "Mmmmmm! This stuff is amazing! How does the prince afford all this cool stuff? He's absolutely swimming in gold!" The Cleric asks, casually.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy roll for the Marzipan boy: (1d20+13)[22]

I can also roll one for Ali, if you'd like.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Tsuki had approached the castle warily, dragged forward by Eiko and Darwin's enthusiasm and a sense of duty. She bowed politely to the prince as he spoke but remained quiet throughout. She forced smiles when he laughed, as if sharing in his jokes, and nodded agreeably, doing her best to keep the boisterous prince amused without actually having to say anything.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Slightly alarmed by the Prince's, umm humor?, Þ nonetheless manages to keep his face impassive as he nods courteously at what seems to be the appropriate times, though he thinks he may have slipped once, what that with their host's bizarre "sense of humor" and all. Not that the Prince seems to have noticed, judging by the way he quickly bustled off to the next group.

Seeing Darwin stalking off after the halfling with the food tray, Þ decides to mosey on after him, taking in the sights as he follows the peculiar elf.

Spoiler
    Show
    For this adventure, has decided to be a shade less conspicuous and is currently 6'1" and lean, as opposed to his usual large, muscular build. Also, his sheet for this adventure can be found here.
    Also, so I know, having not read Maid, does Eiko just flat out speak common, or is she only understood by Tsuki?
    Also also, Knowledge nature - (1d20+7)[8], how unnatural is this place in the middle of a desert?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by nolongerchaos View Post
    Also, so I know, having not read Maid, does Eiko just flat out speak common, or is she only understood by Tsuki?
    Unfortunately, being a familiar, only Tsuki can understand Eiko, hence all the whispering when people are around...
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

"I mean, a prince is a prince, inn'he? Sir," the young Halfling waif answers Darwin, looking him square in the knee. "'Course I'm not one knows about polly-ticks, but 'e's been loaded wiff the ol' bread and honey ever since I knowed 'im, and that was as long as I can remember, Sir. There's always all sorts goin' on 'round 'ere. Why, just for this do here, he got seventy five golden camels, fifty three purple peacocks, ninety five white monkeys, and I fink the last of the sixty elephants just got in. Cor, there's one now!" He points with one hand (carefully holding the marzipan tray above his head) at what is indeed an elephant stomping down the hall. How'd they get it in? And where are the other fifty nine?
    "Prince Ali's a good sort, though. Very generous. I'm making a platinum piece every hour I'm here, and I have no idea what this stuff is what I'm givin' people! Talkin' of, 'av sommore if you want it."

Spoiler
    Show
    With your glorious roll of 1 and the check of 8, you know that it's unusual to find water in a desert, and it's surprising he's being so free with it. Maybe he has about fifty Decanters buried under the place.

By the way, this is a problem I have IRL too. My idea of "personality" is making the accents more and more strained.
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2015-09-29 at 10:31 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Tsuki pats the halfling boy on the head and shoos him away.

"We've had enough for now, thank you. Run along and serve the other guests."

Once he leaves, Tsuki turns to the others and whispers urgently.

"There's definitely something wrong here. Darwin, just hang around and play nice for a bit. Enjoy the food and make a good showing.
    Þ, I don't know your skills very well. How are you at reconnaissance?
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #8

Rather in awe of the obvious opulence of the castle, Þ takes a moment to take in Tsuki's words.
    "Reconnaissance? Almost certainly not as good as you'd hope, but I might be able to manage something. What did you have in mind?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"Eat food and have fun? I think I can do that. What's your plan anyways? I mean, what's there to worry about? Everything is so nice!" Darwin states, scarfing down the last marzipan.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

The Halfling scarpers, and the group is left to take in the ambiance of the hall with the various partygoers introducing themselves to each other and partaking of canapes. This room is clearly extradimensional, because it's like an auditorium in size, with branching doors heading toward stairwells or kitchens. A few people in bathrobes seem to have taken Ali's advise very much to heart. Perhaps the most notable thing though is an Ettercap happily nibbling on sausages from a tray.

A sandy-skinned tall Goblin with bulging eyes and pointed ears comes up to Darwin, wearing a similar black outfit as the Halfling boy, coughing into his hand as he stares you in the face.
    "Hello, sir. I hope you, *cough cough*, help yourself to the refreshments. *cough cough*, we are pleased to meet you. You, *cough cough*, are mages of the Wander Inn, yes? Vanquisher of crime and punisher of, *cough cough*, prisoners. I would have to ask that, *cough cough*, you change into your costumes at your soonest convenience. Even for warriors, armor and weapons, *cough cough*, are not standard party fare. If your are ready, *cough cough*, our staff can take your request for your Monstrous Masque, but, *cough cough*, only when you are ready. I, *cough cough*, hope you choose something bound to stand out in a crowd."

11. - Top - End - #11

Distracted momentarily by the arrival of the goblin, Þ partially turn towards the new arrival.
    "Apologies, a moment, Tsuki. I ask your pardon master goblin, but what pray tell is this Monster Masque, and it's associated festivities? The invitation we received was rather vauge on the topic and I am not familair with the custom. And why exactly would we want to stand out in it?

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive - (1d20+6)[14] for the goblin's response.

12. - Top - End - #12

MindFlayer

The Bhuka sighs.
    "So you didn't receive the, ehrm, supplementary memo. Apologies, the organizer is capricious. This is a masquerade, and to augment the fancy dress, you've been requested to take on a monstrous visage. Any creature usually horrific and terrifying, toeing the line of grotesque and sublime, for one night is the center stage. We have requests for Beholderkin and Illithids, Yuan-ti and Umber Hulks, Babau and Osyluths. The Prince is capable of fearsome magic which can change your form for the duration of the festivities, adding the element of intrigue. As for standing out...typically people like to. But it is all to your option, of course."

Spoiler
    Show
    To your ear, it sounds like the Bhuka is being truthful and plain.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Darwin gives pause. "I am... Strangely prepared for this. How does the king feel about figurative monsters? Like, say, someone who deals death? I could come in as a mean assassin, and I like to think assassins are pretty darn scary!" Darwin intones, taking note of the location of the Mask of Lies in his pack. Whilst he could use the mask to set up any costume, he feels that the standard form of the mask in and of itself is fairly monstrous as-is (plus, it opens up the opportunity to switch to something more interesting later in the night!).

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

The Bhuka's eyes dilate slightly.
    "Sir, there is no king, sir. There is none higher than Prince Ali. Please keep this in mind. Please do not suggest otherwise."
    He breathes out, and coughs in the dry air.
    "Aside from that, sir, you are free to make your own decisions. If you wish to don the guise of an assassin you have that freedom. I don't know that other guests will be fantastically astounded with the decision, but you'll hear no objections from Prince Ali."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

"....Ooooookaaaaay. Good to know! And don't worry, I plan do all the talking at the gala personally, rather than let my costume do it for me." Darwin explains, vaguely unnerved.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

16. - Top - End - #16

Þ's brow furrows slightly at the goblinoid's odd reaction to Darwin's comment about a king, but does not wish to draw attention to it.
    "I'm curious about these masks. You said there are requests, how do they work? What exactly is it that they do?
    And by any chance do you happen to have or can you obtain for us a copy of this supplementary memo?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive - (1d20+6)[17] in regards to the goblinoids' odd behavior at the mention of a king, and Perception - (1d20+10)[11] to see if he or anyone else in the general vicinity did anything else odd at Darwin's comment.

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

The Bhuka nods.
    "It would be sufficient to flag down myself or one of the staff and simply give them the name of the creature whose visage you wish to assume, either in speech or writing. We have paper masks ready to hold the enchantment that would be provided to you at that time, which you may put on when the festivities start properly. Of course, some want an early start to get used to their new body," he remarks, gesturing to the Ettercap. He also withdraws from his pocket a few flimsy paper masks that look like nothing special at all, to show them to you.

"I'll see about acquiring a copy of the supplement, though it holds less information than I just provided to you. Is that all, sirs?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The only other people around you are a few high-strung nobles who weren't paying attention to the Bhuka, and didn't react. As for Sense Motive, clearly he had a point he wanted to hammer home, but the reason for that is unknown to you.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"That's fascinating... Can you tell us how the magic works? And how hard is it to return to our original shape?"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

19. - Top - End - #19

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    "That's fascinating... Can you tell us how the magic works? And how hard is it to return to our original shape?"
    "I am naught but a humble servant, Ma'am. Such matters of magic are beyond my understanding. That which the Prince wishes to form, merely does. Such is the extent of his grand power. The magic will persist indefinitely, Ma'am, changeable by none save for the will of the Prince. He intends it to last only for this weekend, of course, at which time all will be on their way as they are meant to be."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Tsuki nods while contemplating something.

"Hmm... Well, I've got an idea for what to be. Þ, perhaps you'd be willing to go along with it? You see..."

Tsuki leans in to whisper to Þ and Darwin explaining that having only the prince able to undo the transformation makes her nervous. They should pick things they wouldn't mind being for a long, long time if it comes down to it. However, since the prince wants things to be "interesting", Tsuki suggests that Þ should request taking the form of the prince...
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Darwin was already set on his costume. After all, it would be a shame to waste the generous gifts of his noble friends. But, suddenly, a smile rushes across the young Elf's face as an idea dawns on him. He whispers to his companions. "Tsuki! You should let Eiko wear a mask! She can turn into a real girl for the party! Heck, she can even wear my vestments, since the mask can fake clothes just as well!" He explains, ecstatic.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

22. - Top - End - #22

Þ looks at Tsuki, an expression of sorrow and apology on his face.
    "I'm sorry Tsuki. This is already much more than I had signed up for." Þ says in a small voice, a hint of shame crossing his face. "Your plan is brilliant, but I can't. I can't take the form of the prince. I won't." Þ glances briefly at the Ettercap. "It's going to be bad enough having to take the form of a monster for this stupid party... I thought this ball was going to be fun... I'm so sorry, Tsuki, but I won't."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Eiko looks at Darwin like he's lost his mind. After all, what could possibly be better than being a cat? When you're already at the top, there's nowhere else to go.

"I don't think she'd much enjoy being an elf girl..."

When Þ responds to Tsuki's idea, she seems confused, nervous, and starts to withdraw back into herself. Her momentary confidence waning quickly.
    "I-I d..d.don't und-derstand..."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Darwin quickly starts backtracking. "Nonono, Tsuki, your ideas were great! I think Þ just has a thing against changing his form. An odd quirk, yes, but I'm not going to judge. Don't forget, Tsuki, you're Team Leader. And, honestly? You deserve that title, 100%. Just tell me what to do, and I'll do it." The Elf states, attempting to prop up his friend's confidence a bit.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Tsuki shakes her head 'no' a little too quickly and bites her lower lip to keep it from quivering.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Darwin simply smiles a Tsuki. Normally, he would place a hand on her shoulder or something, but the young Elf could at the very least interpolate THAT to be a bad idea.

"Trust me Deba. You've got this."

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Tsuki looks up at Darwin without actually raising her head.

"If they'll allow it... would you be willing to be the prince, Darwin? I c-can't... I-I mean... I'm a lady!"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Darwin slowly brings out the Mask of Lies from his pack, and shows it to Tsuki. "Of COURSE I can! I'm such a great disguiser, I even convince myself! Ohohohoho!" He states, in a scarily convincing rendition of the Prince.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Tsuki stares at Sylali's mask a moment, surprised that Darwin has it. She takes a moment to steady her nerves and manages to fake confidence long enough that she starts to actually feel it... at least a little.

"Okay. With that and the transformation, you should be good as Prince Ali. I still don't know if they'll allow it or if it will give us any advantage, but I'd like to have at least some kind of safety line."

Eiko pulls on her skirt and points down the hallway. Tsuki smiles and relaxes before squatting down to hug Eiko, who pulls away slightly out of reflex.

"That's not a bad idea, Eiko. Try to snoop around a little, see if there's anything odd happening. I doubt there is, but..."

Eiko growls something at Tsuki.

"Yes, yes, I know I'm paranoid. That's why you're going to help out. Right?"

Eiko nods once and turns to dart away through the crowd, heading for where the servants are working. It's as good a place to start as any.

Eiko Stealth - (1d20+22)[39]
    Eiko Perception - (1d20+9)[14]
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #30

Preoccupied with his thoughts, Þ suddenly remembers what's going on, looking from the mask to Darwin.
    "I think I'm missing something... what is that mask, Tsuki? So what's going on? Did I miss a plan? Please tell me there's plan... "
    Last edited by nolongerchaos; 2015-10-02 at 11:33 AM.