New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Prince Abooboo (Wander Inn Mission)

Darwin spent a few moments looking over his handiwork. The eyes weren't quite the right shade of Purple, and he was fairly sure his hair was a shade or two too light, but the margin of error was so small that the only people liable to notice would be his own parents or friends from his home village. "Not bad for a- *AHEM* -Not bad for a first try!" The young Cleric congratulates to himself, before being interrupted by the appearance of Þ. "Oh hey Þ! Nice costume. It looks good on you. I'm enjoying mine quite a bit myself. Though it's taking some time to break in." A small section of Darwin's face turns greyish and one of his eyes has its pupil dissolve into a flat, yellowish tint, requiring Darwin to literally slap it back into place after checking it in the mirror. He turn back to Þ, giving the Changeling Lich a classic Darwin grin, though one that looks decidedly more calculated and grown up than ever before. "What about you? How's your "costume" "fitting", so to speak?"
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2015-10-05 at 06:55 PM.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I think my masque will suffice for the evening, though I suppose you could say that I'm not terribly souled on in it." Þ replies with the faintest hint of a smile. "Having trouble with the shapeshifting? Having portraits and a mirror can help if you need some practice. If Changeling shifting works like doppelganger shifting it could take a while to get down. When I was little, the other kids talked about shifting like putting on a mask or a costume, but I found it was easier to think of it more akin to stepping into a body that's just shaped a little differently. It takes a lot of concentration to keep a mask up, but if the body is you, that can make it easier. At least, it did for me. Oh, and watch out for pointy things, pain can mess up a disguise pretty quick without a lot of practice.

Though, again, that's assuming our shifting works the same. Okay, I have to ask, what in the world is that smell?"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

"That, my dear Changeling friend, is the sweet and savoury scent of Blister Nigella tea! Freshly brewed from the leaves that grow just outside my home village. It seems that whatever Polypotent force is catering to our every whim in this palace has a flair for inciting nostalgia in its guests. Whatever is going on here is definitely magical. Very magical. In fact, some of the things I've seen here go far beyond anything that one could normally pull off with regular spells. Whatever's doing this, it is unimaginably powerful." The was-an-Elf leans into the mirror, following his friends advice on shapeshifting and imagining himself stepping into a suit, managing to FINALLY get his eyes the right colour, though his hair was still a bit off.
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2015-10-05 at 08:49 PM.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

4. - Top - End - #64

"Impressive. It looks like you're picking up on shifting quite quickly. And though I have little formal knowledge of magic, I deduced something was odd when I put on what seemed to be an ordinary paper mask with the word 'lITcH' written on it and was, as promised, transformed into a powerful undead monster. You and Tsuki are both far more knowledgeable about such things than I am though. What intrigues me is if someone is as magically powerful as the Prince seems to be, what is this ball really for? Perhaps we should meet back up with Tsuki, she might have learned something while we've been fiddling with our masques. Any idea where she might be, or what she's going to look like when we find her?"

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

"No idea where she'd be. Though I'd bet you 10 gold pieces her room is right next to yours and mine right now. As for the Prince himself, my new form grants me the clarity to see that he is clearly not doing this of his free will. Though, what could possibly force the hand of someone with this much magical power I don't even want to begin to theorize upon. As for Tsuki... My bet's on something "monstrous", but still in the realms of the female form. A Demoness, some form of Fey, or perhaps a particularly attractive harpy. Hell, maybe she'll go for a matching ensemble with Eiko, a catfolk!" Chuckling to himself, Darwin walks past Þ to the portal of his doorway, checking to see if Tsuki's room is in fact right beside those of her companions.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tsuki's room is indeed next to Darwin's, though you could have sworn such was not the case when you first arrived. It is locked though, and seems empty.

Tsuki meanwhile manages to catch the attention of some kind of jackal-man, perhaps a desert offshoot of a Lupine, in a snappy tailcoat with a platter of champagne flutes on a silver tray.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Tsuki gracefully takes a champagne flute from the tray and holds it in one hand.

"I've made my decision. I can only ask for one form, one I've longed to be. I wish for a masque to become an avatar of the great goddess Aphrodite..."
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

8. - Top - End - #68

MindFlayer

"If such is your wish," the jackal-man nods. He balances the tray of glasses on his head and draws from his pocket a paper mask, jotting down nothing more than a wiggly line and a smudge of paw, before gifting it to Tsuki.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Tsuki accepts the mask gingerly, returning the champagne flute without taking so much as a sip. She stares at the mask wide-eyed.

"Truly? ... ... thank you."

Tuski turns and heads toward her room to clean up and dress.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #70

Leaving the oddly smelling room in Darwin's wake, Þ takes a glance at the room on the opposite side of Darwin's from his own, and is both unsurprised to see Tsuki's name on the door, and glad he had known better than to have bet Darwin. What does surprise him is seeing Tsuki herself approaching, paper masque in hand. Þ glances at Darwin to make sure he is still recognizable, then gives a small bow to Tsuki.
    "Tsuki! It's good to have found you, or rather that you found us, I was beginning to worry that something might have happened to you. Now that you have your masque, we can head to the ball once you have prepared. Darwin and I can wait outside until you are ready," Þ turns his glowing green eyes from Tsuki to Darwin (or they seem to turn, it's even harder to tell now that his previously entirely white eyes are now mere spots of light) "That is, unless you have more exploring you wish to do in the meantime?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh! I almost forgot!" Rushing back into the room, darwin grabs the Mask of Lies from his pack and dons it. In a momentary rippling shift, Darwin's form shifts in a third, separate way, this time far more refined. The mask itself transmogrifies into a sort of porcelain neck bracer, still bearing the cross in the centre. His weapons also look different, his light mace and shortsword disappearing, and his Rapier taking on a more ceremonial look, almost unfit for actual combat in its ornateness. A truly clever plan which the regular Darwin might have done in ignorance simply because it looks pretty, but the current Darwin is doing in an honest attempt at subterfuge. The Cleric quickly rejoins the party. "Okay, now I'm good. So, Tsuki, what form did you end up choosing?" He asks, genuinely curious what the demure Spellthief chose to remake herself into.
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2015-10-06 at 11:12 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Tsuki stumbles a bit at the sudden appearance of her allies in the hall outside her room.

"You'll see... But, privacy, please! Excuse me..."

Tsuki pushes past them and enters her room.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

13. - Top - End - #73

"Come now Darwin, tact, a lady needs her privacy. We'll find out what masque she has chosen when she's ready, and not before.

Come to think of it though, I'm curious to see how the staff react to you in this form, since you appear virtually the same as before. Maybe they'll be able to tell you're already wearing your masque though, who knows with this lot...
    "

14. - Top - End - #74

MindFlayer

Between shenanigans involved in getting your masks, finding your rooms, and experimenting with your new forms, the hours trickle away like the sand through the hourglass marking the hours trickling away. As the sunset strikes pastels across the sky, a trail of oil in the corner of all the halls lights on its own to provide atmospheric illumination, and the main hall is filled with floating spheres of light. The hall now is very different than it was when you first entered, filled to capacity with all sorts of peculiar creatures. Most participants have combined their outfits with their chosen shapes, and you see a Coatl trailed with a feather boa mirroring its rainbow wings, or a Leonal with a cloak extending from its mane. It looks like nothing was off the table as Gricks and Gray Renders, Nymphs and Night Hags, Owlbears and Ochre Jellies all take the floor, socializing in whatever way is appropriate to their new form. It's a frightening sight, but then again to these nobles who have likely never been personally threatened by beasts like these it must be amusing to look like a fairy tale.

After a period of this socializing, the floating lights dim, then swarm together to frame the gilded door that Tsuki had seen Prince Ali slip through. Ali's voice echoes through the impossible castle, causing a stir.
    "Introducing that fabulous fellow who needs no introduction, the man who has brought you all here today! He's famous, he's wealthy, he's magical, and he's beloved by all! You know his name, let me hear you say it if you still have mouths, the one and only Prince Ali!"
    In an entirely predictable bluff the door does not burst open, and instead in a dazzling display of Dancing Lights Prince Ali appears in the center of the floor about twenty feet in the air. His face and form isn't largely changed, though he is about twice as tall. He's wearing even nicer clothes than he was previously, draping himself in gold-lined violet silk and a feathered turban. He's hovering in midair, his legs obscured by a whirling vortex of wind. He descends into the crowd, and there's enthusiastic applause.
    "Thank you, thank you, friends! I cannot put into words how glad I am to see you here, faces beaming as brightly as I am! It feels like I've come so far to get to where I am today. It feels like only a month ago that I had nothing to my name, and no one had heard of Prince Ali. But you know? Looking out at all of you here, enjoying yourselves this evening, something is abundantly clear to me. Wishes really do come true. I want you to strike every worry and concern from your mind this evening and simply lose yourselves to the festivities! I know I certainly intend to!"

The lights return and the general merrymaking persists, Ali now joining the floor and making small talk with whoever cares to listen. And most seem to. Everything appears to be entirely on the up-and-up.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Amongst all of the cavalcade of monstrocities, Darwin Freeborn was a bastion of sense. He stood with naught but his own visage, that of a simple Elven man, utterly devoid of irregularity (well, relatively speaking. Astoundingly enhanced intellect and wisdom aside, he was still Darwin). This rather bold strategy of seemingly having no costume to speak of actually proved surprisingly effective as far as wowing the party-goers with his presence. Throughout a decent chunk of the hall, Darwin was quite the topic of conversation. Some thought his "costume" to be an avant garde display of nonconformity, others thought that perhaps his original form was so monstrous and alien that this relatively normal form WAS a monster by comparison, still others believed he may be some form of party crasher, daring the Prince to call him out on his lack of a masque in order to steal the night's attention for himself. Whatever the case, Darwin took great pleasure in playing all the roles he was given, milling amongst the nobility, sharing stories and small talk, and slightly and minutely changing his appearance throughout a conversation, before snapping it back to normal, leaving his companions questioning their own perception, and the contents of their drink glasses.

Slowly, deftly, Darwin wandered over to the mystical form of Prince Ali, and spoke to him frankly. "Ah, Prince Ali! Just the ungodly powerful man I wanted to see. I must say, this night has been wonderful, and it would tickle my fancy ever so much if you could just give me a taste of your methods. What's your secret? My curiosity simply does not allow me to sit back without learning how anyone could pull THIS illustrious of a party together seemingly overnight!" Darwin asks in a flattering tone, attempting to both butter up the Prince, and also possibly learn a few things.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy!: (1d20+14)[27]
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2015-10-07 at 04:41 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

16. - Top - End - #76

MindFlayer

Prince Ali whirls around to smile at Darwin.
    "Hello, friend! Darwin, yes, Darwin of Wander Inn! Ahahaha, what an ingenious costume, yes! I wish I knew what you-oh, how clever, a Doppelganger, how novel! I would not at all have recognized it! Except I did, but that's beside the point. I am so glad you are enjoying yourself! Yes, yes, you must have a busy life, but this is a time for relaxation and frivolity!"
    He nods his head at Darwin's query.
    "Yes, indeed, it is a wonder to behold. It is a powerful magic at work, believe you me. It is my blessing, and my curse, to weave the world at my fingertips. And truthfully..."
    He pauses, turning his head slightly and glancing toward his door. There is a pregnant pause.
    "Well, it does tend to get a bit out of control. Or, well, in control. It's a tricky business, magic. Loopholes, legalities, one poor agreement and-"
    His voice simply stops, though his mouth continues to move for a moment before he notices. After a moment it returns.
    "-surprised I could say that much-Well yes, if you'd like, at the end of this weekend's festivities I see no reason not to introduce you personally to the...origin, of my wealth. But no, not now, there is much to do! And to see! And apparently I have something to attend to!" Ali remarks, before hopping into the air and gliding over the crowd toward one of the many stairwells.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Tsuki's room is indeed next to Darwin's, though you could have sworn such was not the case when you first arrived. It is locked though, and seems empty.

Tsuki meanwhile manages to catch the attention of some kind of jackal-man, perhaps a desert offshoot of a Lupine, in a snappy tailcoat with a platter of champagne flutes on a silver tray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Tsuki accepts the mask gingerly, returning the champagne flute without taking so much as a sip. She stares at the mask wide-eyed.

"Truly? ... ... thank you."

Tuski turns and heads toward her room to clean up and dress.
    Once Tuski accepts her mask and wanders off, Eiko huffs to herself and whispers for the Jackal-man.
    "I guess I'm going to be Prince Ali, if I can. Someone has to follow Tsuki's original plan, I guess..."

After receiving her mask, Eiko will refrain from putting it on until the party officially starts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the minor time warp.
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

"I look forward to it!" Darwin shouts to the Prince as he disappears into the crowd, his mind whirring. So, he truly was doing this against his will. Not only that, but it appears some of what he wants to say is being actively omitted, interesting... His mind set on his course of action, Darwin freeborn quickly steps behind a pillar on the far edge of the hall, and reemerges as none other than the illustrious Prince Ali. His shapechange almost perfect after a quick assessment of the Princes form, and any further details and features such as his clothing were taken care of by the Vestments and Mask of Lies. Slowly, deliberately, the "Prince" walks over to the door at the far end of the hall, attempting to look like he was supposed to be doing this, and rushing into it as quickly as possible.

Show
    Disguise check (+10 for shapechange, +4 racial bonus, +10 for the Mask, and +2 for the Vestments): (1d20+32)[52]

Bluff check to act inconspicuous, if necessary: (1d20+15)[23]

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

19. - Top - End - #79

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    That's
    Spoiler
    Show
    A
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nat
    Spoiler
    Show
    20!!!

Making his way through the bustling crowd and having to keep up appearances with various guests complimenting him, Darwin completely assumes the Prince's form and makes his way to the furthest door, then cracks it open and slips inside.
    Spoiler: So we're back to the split-up spoilers, huh?
    Show

Opening the door releases a rush of burning air like that of an oven door, searing against Darwin's skin. The interior of the room is dark and shadows dance, lit only by embers. There is no bed nor any kind of luxury within the room. It's solid gray stone. But fastened to the walls are chains and ribbons, and Darwin can see runes etched over them and then continuing onto the walls and floor. They lead together into a pair of concentric circles at the center of the room. As do the chains, which in turn transform into armored shackles of pure bronze. The figure at the center of the circle stares into Darwin's eyes and he feels heat welling up in his very soul. Standing ten feet tall but sitting cross-legged, its ruby skin glows with heat. Black eyes with yellow irises shine, and its demonic face with fangs curling both above and below its lips is framed by wide horns.
    "Returned sooner than I would have dared in your place, Abooboo. Your mind must be elsewhere. I didn't hear you coming in. I thought you wanted to enjoy your party? I put so much effort into throwing it, you know. You're lucky to have a guy on your side like this, Abooboo, you know, watching out for you. You ain't never had a friend like me."

Spoiler: A good enough photo
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: The Adventures of Darwin!
    Show
    Spoiler: Filler
    Show
    ((SecretsSecretsSecretsSecretsSecretsSecretsSecret sSecretsSecretsSecretsSecretsSecretsSecretsSecrets SecretsSecretsSecretsSecretsSecretsSecretsSecretsS ecretsSecretsSecretsSecretsSecretsSecrets))
    Keeping his cool in the face of the SUDDEN BEING OF ELEMENTAL FIRE sitting before him, Darwin (as the Prince) smiles at the creature. "Ah, yes, well, you know. Truly the festivities are utterly magnanimous, truly they are. But, well, it has suddenly occurred to me that, perhaps in the heat of all this grandure, I've lost sight of certain aspects of the 'big picture' as it were. Namely, the fact that you undoubtedly plan my demise when our contract is done. Now, don't try and sugarcoat it, I know I'm damned. Nobody makes a deal with an Outsider and makes it out unmaimed, much less scott-free. All I'm asking is that you be frank with me on this. How badly and in what dastardly manner do you plan to screw me after all I've asked of you? In what way are you going to twist our dealings to your favour? After all, friends don't keep secrets from friends now, do they?" He asks, attempting to play it cool in this impromptu interrogation.

Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+14)[18]
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2015-10-09 at 02:05 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

21. - Top - End - #81

MindFlayer

Spoiler: Darwin
    Show

The entity's eyes narrow. The room gets warmer.
    "You're pretty good. You actually had me fooled. That's not easy, and it could have put me in a dangerous position. Who are you, and why have you made this grievous mistake?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeahhhh, not even a good Disguise, Bluff, or Diplomacy is going to save you when you get the premise entirely wrong. Can't fool all of the people all of the time!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Darwin!
    Show
    "......Well sh*t." Darwin curses. Transforming not into his actual form, but into the form of a tall Drow man, dressed in partygoing clothes. "I'm just a guy who got curious. I knew Ali was hiding SOMETHING. I just didn't know what. I can honestly say, this really wasn't something I was expecting. If I really have gotten it so wrong, care to elucidate me? I really am genuinely curious what the Prince's deal is, and I can't really dig myself any deeper. So, care to explain?" Darwin crosses his legs, content to whatever may happen.

Show
    Disguise check to make it look like the Drow form is the default: [roll]1d20+32[roll]

And a Diplomacy check to get a rapport going with the Efreet: (1d20+14)[15]

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

23. - Top - End - #83

MindFlayer

Show
    "I really wouldn't. You aren't involved, meddler. Unless, of course, you wish to be. That's an interesting thing, a wish. People think they know what they want until they're asked to name it. Then they draw a blank. You, Drow, do you know what your heart desires? Your kind enjoys slaughtering itself, perhaps the gift to do that? Wealth to turn Lolth's high priestess pale? And it takes a lot to pale skin that dark. Anything you can imagine. Because what you've seen of Abooboo is not one iota of what could be, if you wish it. Come closer, let me know. "

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    To say the young Elf wasn't... Intrigued by the offer would be a grevious lie. But, he was wiser now than he ever was before. Perhaps the old Darwin would jump at the chance, but the new one was a bit more nuanced. "You, oh mighty being of fire, are quick to presume much of me by my race alone. So forgive me if I should act in much the same way when I ask: what's the catch? After all, I wasn't lying in my previous statement, Outsiders tend to enjoy mortal torment. How can I know you aren't just going to destroy me? What proof do you have towards your reputability?"

Show
    Let's try that Diplomacy again, shall we?: (1d20+14)[18]

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

25. - Top - End - #85

MindFlayer

Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bold statements from someone with no ranks in Knowledge (The Planes). Also you can't keep retrying the Diplomacy, the one you rolled is good for the conversation.

"Why would I destroy you, when you have done nothing to wrong me? Such a pleasant and charming fellow, and you clearly appreciate looking beyond the stigma of race. You're right, that many of beyond your world are not to be trusted. Devils will twist words and Demons outright lie. What I offer is a sure thing. Guaranteed dreams coming true. I sense you don't trust me. How about a show of goodwill? Your friend, the girl with dagger magic, she's run into a spot of trouble. You'd best be on your way to help her. Come back when you're done, and if that advice helped you, maybe you'll think my words fairer. Not a word to Abooboo though, eh? He is a cruel miser at heart who wants the world's riches for himself. He would not take kindly to your speaking to me. "

26. - Top - End - #86

MindFlayer

Spoiler: Tsuki and Eiko
    Show
    Darwin and Þ have gone downstairs by the time Tsuki emerges from her room, glowing and radiant with the visage of Aphrodite herself, and though her general form is unchanged there is an entirely different air about her. Next to her is Eiko, in the form of an Asherati dressed as Prince Ali. By the hum and roar of voices, it sounds like the party is in full swing. But not everyone is downstairs. The hall stretches on for a far way but branches into others, and across the marble floors she can hear rapid footfalls. More than one pair, some heavier than others. There's a bright flash of light, and a resounding thud, though the noise is drowned out to anyone further away by the festivities. If you're not much mistaken there's whispering too, but you can't make out what they're saying from this distance. There is a smell of ozone.
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2015-10-10 at 12:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Darwin and Þ have gone downstairs by the time Tsuki emerges from her room, glowing and radiant with the visage of Aphrodite herself, and though her general form is unchanged there is an entirely different air about her. Next to her is Eiko, in the form of an Asherati dressed as Prince Ali. By the hum and roar of voices, it sounds like the party is in full swing. But not everyone is downstairs. The hall stretches on for a far way but branches into others, and across the marble floors she can hear rapid footfalls. More than one pair, some heavier than others. There's a bright flash of light, and a resounding thud, though the noise is drowned out to anyone further away by the festivities. If you're not much mistaken there's whispering too, but you can't make out what they're saying from this distance. There is a smell of ozone.
    Tsuki, for once, strides forward with confidence and a sway in her step that she's never had before. Her clothes are beautifully appointed and uite a bit more revealing than her companions are likely to believe. She hears the sounds, and her confidence waivers. Pushing Eiko back into the room, she whispers.

"Something's not right..."

She draws her two daggers from their sheaths and watches out into the hall through a slight crack in the door.
    Spoiler: Prepared Spells
    Show
    Steeldance x2, Extended Flame Dagger, Whirling Blade x2, Ice Dagger, Extended Persistent Blade, Expeditious Retreat, Nerveskitter
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-10-11 at 02:08 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #88

MindFlayer

Show

Tsuki stays quiet as the posse gets closer. She first sees a thick yellowed horn emerge into view, and as the creature progresses she sees the rhinoceros-esque creature it's attached to, sheathed in blue scales. Flanking it are a short green creature that looks somewhat like a Kobold but with different proportions, a tall red-scaled humanoid, a stooped black-scaled creature with the smell of sulfur, and holding the blue-scaled with a lash like a leash is a thin humanoid armored in skeletal white scales. Tsuki can vaguely make out their conversation.
    "-sssomeone will have heard-"
    "Nobuddy herd nothin', da partee's too lowd-"
    "If we don't find it then we must fall back on B Team's stratagem, and I'm loathe to let them hog the glory."
    "It'sss our ssskinsss I'm worried about-"
    "Hold."
    The red one glances back and forth, sniffing at the air.
    "There's magic here. Strong magic. We may have a second lead." She retraces her steps back to the edge of the hall, out of Tsuki's sight, and runs a claws lightly down the doors, tapping. She's getting closer.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Tsuki tries to identify the creatures.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't know if you want just one roll or one for each individual. Use whatever is appropriate.
    Knowledge – arcana - (1d20+14)[29]/Knowledge – local - (1d20+8)[15]
    Knowledge – arcana - (1d20+14)[32]/Knowledge – local - (1d20+8)[25]
    Knowledge – arcana - (1d20+14)[23]/Knowledge – local - (1d20+8)[20]
    Knowledge – arcana - (1d20+14)[20]/Knowledge – local - (1d20+8)[16]

Getting a mischievous idea, Tsuki casts persistent blade through the crack in the door and as far away from herself as she can, hopefully causing it to appear near the big, scary blue thing. She then mentally commands the force dagger to attack the leash restraining it.
    Persistent Blade - (1d20+8)[14] - force - (1d4)[3]

Spoiler: Prepared Spells (please read)
    Show
    I forgot to notate which spells were Extended in the last spoiler, put an x2 on the wrong spell (making it illegal to ready the spell), and also forgot that the +4 Cha should have given Tsuki extra 1st- and 2nd-level bonus slots. If it's acceptable this is the revised readied spell list. I just doubled up on spells she already had readied rather than adding additional spell options.

Steeldance x2, Extended Flame Dagger, Whirling Blade x3, Ice Dagger, Extended Persistent Blade, Expeditious Retreat, Persistent Blade, Nerveskitter
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #90

MindFlayer

Show
    Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show
    From that Knowledge (Arcana) you can tell these are creatures related to dragons, not half-dragons or even draconic, but as though they've been tinted with draconic essence. They seem to be the Spawn of Tiamat, races which breed true but originated as perverse corruptions of other entities as Tiamat's answer to the Dragonborn of Bahamut.

It's a valiant effort, but Tsuki's blade is too weak to cut through the tether. It looks like it's a weapon being used as such, not simply a piece of rope. The red creature whirls around at the sound of the force blade, and notices the magical effect.
    "Horaaa, someone's feeling bold. I think I'm getting warmer...Warmer...Ooh, hot, hot."
    Tsuki sees a catlike eye appear in the crack in the door.
    "I'm burning up."
    The door is flung open by the ignition of a Burning Hands which, despite the door's cover, scorches Tsuki and deals 15 damage. Tsuki finds herself face to face with the Redspawn, while the Greenspawn and Blackspawn peek in from the sides.
    "What did I tell you? The Fivefold Goddess smiles upon us. We have a second chance, and we didn't need that Umber Hulk fellow after all. Get the girl, and-"
    The Redspawn staggers back.
    "Is that the prince? Goodness, girl, what things you get up to behind closed doors. We are lucky five times over. Take them both."

The Greenspawned dashes into the room, tumbling past Tsuki and crouching in the corner, ready to flank. The Blackspawned presses his shoulders into the door frame, making it impossible for Tsuki to dash outside. The Whitespawned, outside the room, pulls at his chain connected to the Bluespawn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not really up for making a map right now, so just describe your positions. Approximations are good enough.