New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: If You Get Caught, You Die IC III

Janice wraps her arms around Anaiya. "Everything will be fine," she asserts, pressing her lips to Anaiya's. The catfolk's tails wrap around Anaiya's waist as she purrs against the half-elf's skin.

2. - Top - End - #482

The ceremony starts. Anaiya is still curious about the minotaur's presence, but Cairne walking her down the aisle does give her a certain warm feeling.

Janice and Celica grin and wave, while Horus nods sincerely and Gareth simply watches in silence.

Anaiya stops in front of Daryan, who turns and looks at her, an expression of pure joy in his face. As Anaiya sees the look in his eyes, she feels elation. When she first met the man, she had to work to get him to even notice her, and now? They had saved each other's lives. They were inseparable. She couldn't possibly imagine a life without him, and she would never have to.

Relius and Clover both hang over her head as threats that need to be dealt with, and Leona's sacrifice still rings in her ears. She glances over at the wolf in the aisle, seeming so docile. Had he and his friends really killed her? She never thought to ask.

Juanita gives a heart-warming service, and then it is time for the vows.

Daryan turns to Anaiya and takes her hands. "(Terran) Anaiya, I cannot possibly use the common tongue to express how special you are to me, so I will speak with the Great Earth's words. My heart, my body, my soul. All of these have been yours since the day we skated together at the lake behind my old home. You have been there for me at the best times. In Sinnoh. At Krenko's ball. And here today. You have been with me through the worst times. When I was in the mines. When I was paralyzed. Even when I was taken from you, when I pushed you away and broke your heart, you were with me. You never stopped fighting for me, never once betrayed me, and for that I am eternally grateful. I love you, Anaiya."

3. - Top - End - #483

After he finishes speaking, Anaiya squeezes his hands gently. "Daryan, the time since we met has given me a lot of reasons to look at my past. To think about what I've done with my life, and what path I would have taken if we'd never crossed paths. And I've come to realize something... I've realized that I didn't understand what happiness really is until that day we spent at the lake in Granite. The time we've had together is the first time in my life that I've been truly happy. Not only that, you were the first person who openly accepted me as more than just an entertainer. You're the light that brightened up my world... and I refuse to let anyone or anything hurt you or control you again." She feels a tear run down her cheek. "I love you, Daryan. More than anything in the world."

4. - Top - End - #484

The entire estate erupts into applause as the couple kiss, holding each other longingly.

They have a wonderful reception with a kind, loving toast from Izolda.

"This woman has fought magic, alchemy and monsters to protect my idiot son from all the trouble he gets into, and she still wants to be his wife? I could not be more proud, of either of them!"

Michael and Janice sit at a table together, though Anaiya notices Gareth joining them.

Horus and Juanita bring out a spectacular cake that has more layers than Anaiya has fingers. There's enough for everyone in the palace to have some, and everyone does! It's delicious, and as Anaiya playfully shoves a whole piece into her husband's mouth, she feels completely relaxed. Everything can wait. Everything can wait, until tomorrow.

She has earned one night of peace and quiet, damnit.

5. - Top - End - #485

Anaiya sighs with content as she sits beside Daryan. She closes her eyes as she rests her head on his shoulder, happy to just be next to him and to feel his sturdy shoulder beneath her cheek. Nothing else mattered to her now. They were together, and they were going to stay together through whatever life or the Ouroboros threw at them. If something wanted to tear them apart, it would have to end her life first.

The half-elf looks up and kisses him on the cheek. "I love you."

6. - Top - End - #486

Daryan blushes and rubs the back of his neck. "I love you too. Ana, can we discuss something?" He looks a bit apprehensive and glances around. "I don't want to spoil the atmosphere, by any means, but I actually received some good news today. It's not nearly as good as the wedding, but it does make me feel like celebrating even more."

When Anaiya gives him the go-ahead, Daryan continues. "A professor at the University of Incendar has reviewed the first draft of the paper I'm writing about the material we worked on together. She was so impressed, she wants me to come give a talk at the university about it. If I do this, it will be the first major step in redeeming my name in the scientific community at large, and could potentially get me some well-paying work in Pyratha."

7. - Top - End - #487

Anaiya beams at the news. "That's incredible! This is an opportunity that you can't afford to pass up!" Her smile fades a little as she considers what that would mean.

She'd only been to Pyratha a couple of times, and usually her time was spent indoors entertaining clients, so she would love a chance to actually enjoy her time there. And there was the matter of Daryan's career; this was sure to be a step toward getting him the recognition he deserved, and that would most likely lead into his other findings being taken more seriously as well.

But what of the other problems they were facing? Clover had taken over Granite and basically had free reign to use the people of Terrania for his twisted plans and experiments, just like in Marina. Then there was Relius... how likely was it that they'd run into the son of a bitch there too? And what would he do if, or when, he found them? On top of that, there was a nagging guilt and worry over what happened to Leona. Had Bianca simply killed her? Or had she been captured? Either way it was her fault, and was it right of her to not even attempt to find out what happened to her?

...And was it right to burden Daryan with all of her concerns on their wedding day, after he'd just gotten this amazing news Incendar?

8. - Top - End - #488

Daryan takes her hand and squeezes it. "Don't worry. This talk will take one day, travel will take one day. I'll be gone three days. You can enjoy a little 'you time' while I'm out."

He looks up as there is a clearing of the throat. Juanita crosses her arms. "Sorry Daryan. We need to borrow your wife for a bit."

Janice and Celica are both standing next to her.

Daryan chuckles and nods, standing up and walking over to speak with Cairne. The two of them seem to get very serious. Anaiya remembers that Juanita knows the reason for why Cairne was called here.

Janice sits down next to Anaiya. "Oooooh! Finally, it's happened! How do you feel? And have you decided where the honeymoon is going to be?"

Celica opens her alchemy book and flips through a few pages. "I'm very close...I'm just missing one key piece. But if I put in the work, I'm sure I can figure out a cure for human transmutation and have Daryan back to his original body before you both leave."

Juanita gives Anaiya a warm hug. "You stupid, stupid girl. I told you not to get too close to him. I warned you not to fall in love, and then I even tried to separate you. Hah...but seeing how happy the two of you are together, I know that you're going to make this last, somehow."

9. - Top - End - #489

"Feel? Well... I'm not sure how to describe it. I feel like... like something that's been missing my whole life is finally there." She returns Juanita's hug with a smile. "Thank you. For everything. Even if you tried to keep us apart, you helped me realize that this is going to be worth any amount of trouble that Daryan and I run into."

She glances over at Celica, rubbing the back of her neck. "Well... it sounds like he'll be be in Incendar for three days for a meeting, and we haven't figured out what we're doing for the honeymoon yet, so I think you have plenty of time to work it out. Besides, he seems more comfortable with what he is now, so taking your time probably won't hurt anything."

10. - Top - End - #490

Juanita frowns, crossing her arms. Unlike the other girls, the alcohol wasn't affecting her judgment. "Daryan's leaving on business? Well then. What are you going to do in the meantime? Do you plan to return to Terrania?"

11. - Top - End - #491

Anaiya sighs. "I probably should, seeing as Clover's in a position where he can do whatever he damn well pleases to the people there. And..." Another pang of guilt. "I need to find out what happened to Leona."

12. - Top - End - #492

Juanita nods. "In that case, I will go with you. In spirit. I cannot accompany you directly, as the head of state, but I can give you this. My mother's most prized possession. I carry it with me at all times."

She opens her handbag and pulls out a small handheld mirror. "Be very careful with this. It is no reflective surface. Frozen eternally in the glass is my...er...my mother's face." She takes a glance at it, seemingly unaffected, before handing it to Anaiya. "Be very careful where you use this. Know that its power is irreversible. Anyone who gazes into this mirror shall be turned to stone forever."

The party dies down a bit after a while, and Anaiya retires to her bed chambers, alone with her husband.

13. - Top - End - #493

Anaiya accepts the mirror, making sure to cover the glass to avoid any accidental petrifications. "Are you sure? I greatly appreciate the gesture, and that you'd trust me with something so important to you, but..." She trails off, figuring there's no point in questioning Juanita's decision. It was likely going to be an immense help against Z and Bianca, maybe even Relius or Clover. That owl woman certainly had big enough eyes to get a good look at the mirror...

On the way to their room, Anaiya looks up at Daryan. "So you're going to Incendar alone, then? Are you sure you don't want me to come along?"

14. - Top - End - #494

Daryan looks surprised at the offer. "Oh. Erm, well, it's not that I don't want you to come. Just that...well, Professor Cherise specifically requested you stay behind."

When Anaiya looks at him for further explanation the alchemist winces and raises his hands defensively. "I didn't like it at first either, but she says that she has done everything she possibly can to keep Relius out of her country, and letting anyone who had possibly been exposed to his 'poison', as she calls it, was not going to happen."

15. - Top - End - #495

"That's a fair enough reason. I don't think anybody really wants him around. And I have some... unfinished business in Granite that I need to take care of." Still, she had to wonder... how exactly did the professor know about her interactions with Relius?

"Just take care of yourself, okay? If I have to come break you out of prison or something, you'll be sleeping on the couch for the next five years." She gives him a playful grin, before hugging him tightly. "I'm serious, though. Promise me you'll stay safe."

16. - Top - End - #496

Daryan nods and bends down, scooping Anaiya up in both arms and crossing the threshold. Her white dress is beautiful against her fair skin, and he looks quite sharp in his tuxedo. The two of them are alone, in the big silent emptiness of their apartment. They settle down together for their wedding night.

----------------------------------------------------

In the morning, Anaiya awakens to find Daryan gone. A note on the bedside table reads -

"Juanita summoned me
    Something about Tyrithia
    Didn't want to wake you
    Love Daryan
    "

17. - Top - End - #497

The note makes Anaiya sigh with worry and irritation. Of course, they'd been married for just one day and something came up that resulted in one of them having to run off in the middle of the night.

She gets cleaned up and dressed for the day before heading to find Juanita, hoping to find some answers.

18. - Top - End - #498

Anaiya arrives in the grand hall to find Juanita on her throne, speaking with Daryan and Cairne.

The minotaur looks surprised to see her, though the other two merely smile in recognition before continuing.

"If this is truly as dangerous as you believe, my Queen," Cairne starts, but Juanita silences him.

"It is. You, Horus, and that wolf boy are all going to accompany Doctor Moschev on his trip to Pyratha. If Madame Rachel really is there, then Relius can't be far behind."

Daryan crosses his arms in confusion. "Very strange. Professor Cherise seems so confident that she's kept him out. And she's not one to miss any crucial details."

Juanita hisses. "Enough! Do you think I would part from my beloved for a mere rumor?"

Daryan winces and bows immediately. "My apologies, my queen."

Anaiya takes all this in. Not only is she going to be separated from Daryan, but Gareth as well.

19. - Top - End - #499

Anaiya frowns upon hearing that both Daryan and Gareth were going to be gone. Maybe she could get some time with Gareth before they... No, FOCUS!

She waits for their meeting to finish before approaching Juanita. "Do you think the four of them will be enough? I mean, Daryan can probably handle Relius if Ignis doesn't interfere, and if Gareth is anything like his companions he won't have much trouble either, but that golem of his is a real threat."

20. - Top - End - #500

Juanita sighs and slumps over in her throne. "I said that too, but -"

"But nothing! I don't care if we have a way to destroy Ignis, I won't use it!" Daryan exclaims, pushing his glasses up his nose angrily. "Even one innocent life lost is unacceptable. That woman has no control over herself."

Anaiya recalls the one time Ignis actually spoke to her. Her idea had actually stopped the poisoning of Gale, and it had been completely volunteered by the automaton, Anaiya had issued her no command. It seemed like Ignis had some self-awareness left, when she wasn't with Relius anyway.

21. - Top - End - #501

Anaiya squeezes the bridge of her nose as she tries to think. "...I know this sounds crazy, but I don't think she's entirely under Relius' control. She's the one who suggested how to deal with the issue of the water supply being poisoned, and it didn't take any questioning or demands. If we can just keep her separated from him, she isn't likely to be much of a threat."

22. - Top - End - #502

The rest of the group stares at Anaiya in disbelief.

"What"

"the"

"F*CK IS WRONG WITH YOU? You didn't think to tell anyone about this? Not me, not Janice, not Daryan or Celica? Do you have ANY idea what this means? A half-golem that can think for itself?!
    "
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2016-02-16 at 02:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #503

Anaiya grits her teeth. "Oh, I don't know, maybe because I've been busy worrying about everything else that's been happening because of what Relius is doing lately. And because there are two other half-golems I know with free will that nobody's getting riled up over."

24. - Top - End - #504

Daryan shakes his head. "Neither Horus nor I have any free will in our transformed states. You know that very well, since I nearly killed you myself. Ignis exists in a state of permanent transformation, we don't even know if she HAS a reverted state or not. For her to speak on her own, formulate ideas, suggest information without a direct order, that's unheard of."

25. - Top - End - #505

"So you're telling me that this is a potential problem instead of a potential solution." She groans and throws her hands up. "Sure, why not? Everything else those two are involved with is turning to sh*t, what's one more issue to deal with?"

26. - Top - End - #506

Daryan shakes his head. "I'm telling you that it means that Ignis...is not transformed. That something else is making her obey Relius's wishes, and act like a doll. The form she wears is the same as how I appear now, she simply doesn't have any skin left to show."

27. - Top - End - #507

"...So she's not bound to serve him in the way that a full golem would. If we could remove whatever's giving him control, that would remove one of the biggest threats he has against us. Of course, if she's not transformed now, we have no way of knowing just how dangerous she would be if she did transform."

28. - Top - End - #508

Daryan frowns. "Well, we need to go prepare. Take care of yourself." He gives her a peck on the cheek and leaves with Cairne and Horus.

Juanita sits down. "What a mess. Did you want to see me?"

29. - Top - End - #509

"I was just hoping to find out what you'd called Daryan about. Now I'm starting to wish that I hadn't."

30. - Top - End - #510

Juanita chuckles. "That's what you get for spying, Ana. Oh, and I'm worried about your safety as well, so Celica will be accompanying you on your trip to Granite. Of course, if you like, you can take some clients before you leave. You'll find that men are willing to pay much more for a client with a ring on her finger."