New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Aernum, Circle of the Grand (IC)

It had been a year and a day, and each Grand has officially moved in with their residence. The entire plane is quite expansive in size, partly because each casting of genesis is just the slightest bit more effective than the last, in terms of square footage. All was going quite well, and everyone had delved into their pursuits quite voraciously, most having moved in a few weeks ago. The foundation of the plane was firmly set, and the six had experienced no particular internal conflicts of any note. Peace, however, was not perfectly well kept. Large groups of Grands didn't go without notice, and while the specifics remained cloaked in secrecy for the outside, there were just as many gossipy old Grands as there were gossipy old grandmothers. Hence came the following sending;

"I, alongside many others, hereby invite you to the Grand Winter Solstice Galla, occurring in one days time. It shall occur on the following continent."
    And then a few moments later-
    "The Diamond Turtle continent, located five continents to the west and one continent north of Noble Sir Jarvis's former home, in the country of Ghogandi-"
    Another few moments later-
    "In the capital city. If you wish to decline your initiation, please either commit suicide, kill the sender, or send an explanatory sending. Thank you."

The Grand Winter Solstice Galla is a select festivity of high ranking Grands, primarily evil or neutral (good and neutral leaning good individuals primarily celebrating in summer). Of course, they considered 'Evil' something of a synonym for 'Intelligent enough to evolve', and 'Neutral' as 'Meh, they aren't idiots', but still. Perhaps 200 Grands in total were going to be there, a mixture of orcs, kobolds, illithids, drow, and more common races; and invites to any of you have been rather hard to come by, due to repeated hilarious incidents that nobody much likes talking about. Having formed an alliance, you had, however, become far to powerful to collectively ignore. All of you received the sending at the same time, having heard different voices along with it, and a meeting was convened immediately on the plane within the designated neutral ground, to discuss whether or not you should actually attend.

The meeting area itself was well prepared, being a small field with an ornate table and several luxurious chairs. The field itself, in accordance with the aim of satisfying multiple desires, was covered with various, darkly colored flowers, giving off a radiant perfume, and happening to be both good for tea and rendering any undead being that consumed them euphoric. The discussion of whether or not to attend began, with the sun shining bright on the young winter day and an anxious air presiding. It was a potent opportunity to gain allies and form contacts, after all, but there was a one thing of note; there had not been a Galla to date where someone had not been killed, even if it was generally the weaker attendees. Every evil Grand that died, after all, was an evil Grand of roughly the same power born (within the next year or so), and that one might, perhaps, be more amenable to the assassins aims.
    Last edited by Bobbybobby99; 2015-10-01 at 05:45 PM.
    -~-~-~-

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.
    Niccolo Machiavelli.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Aernum, Circle of the Grand (IC)

The cloaked human says "So. Seems we all go the exact same message. I'm thinking of attending, myself, but hedging my bets by way of Cloning and Astral Projection, and some crafted orders to my household staff. How do the rest of you feel about it?"
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Soleil smiled as she looked over the invitation. Call it an old womans foolishness, but I don't find myself too worried about these events as some you may be. 'Tis but an invitation. Where's your sense of Adventure? The Winter Solstice is a celebration of all that we are, a chance at meeting more of our kind. From what I hear, events within are quite the spectacle. She ran her hand through her mount, and second-in-command's, thick fur. And while I'm more fond of of the springtime, I assume that any gathering as famous, or infamous, as this one is more than worth a little genuine interaction. I always did prefer a personal touch to this sort of thing, leaves a better impression.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Her verse cut short as the conversation began in earnest and Yira surveyed her fellows. She herself had never received an invitation to any such event before the alliance and she saw it for what it was, an attempt to survey this large alliance, probe it for weaknesses, and decide whether it needed to be "handled".

"I was wondering when our fellow Grands would attempt to get a measure of this alliance. I had truthfully hoped that we would have had an amount more of time but things move ever forward I guess. I believe that more then anything we need to show a united front. If one of us goes then we all should. If we choose not to go then none of us should. Any perceived weakness or disunity could be damning. I for one would like to attend, though may as well take such precautions as you, my friend."

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Jarvis has yet again chosen the form of a nymph. He seem to be fond of this particular form for social events.

"I will be attending the event in person," the intaking nymph almost sings. "Remember that while your silancrums are usefull, there is a chance that a sending won't work and I would assume that you have your items on yourself rather than a weaker version. Plus since we are in an alliance we are almost guaranteed to ressurect each other in the event of death."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Astral projection, not simulacrum. The spell echoes equipment fully. The trouble with relying on a resurrection after the fact is that there are a number of ways to keep it from working. So I will probably be packing a Death Pact, an Astral Projection, a clone or twenty, and a few other instant return effects, plus minions with carefully crafted orders left at home. "
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

It was a single day later, almost precisely, when they set out, utilizing astral projection, death pacts, and clones, as had been reccomended priorly, alongside a few other effects. They arrived just the slightest tad early, bedecked in the most stylish clothing that the Tea-maker could summon on short notice. There was a grandiose palace; the ruling Goblin Queen of Ghogandi (a level Lich 76 Fighter/Sorcerer) had, evidently, graciously agreed to host the affair to generate goodwill. The palace was a stark mixture of alabaster and obsidian, which really wouldn't be plausible without heavy magical reinforcement. That was the point, of course. You (or rather, the projections made of you) grandly entered.

The inside was even more spendid, and vulgar, than the out, having grandiose moving tapestries, tables seemingly made of solid platinum and emerald, waiters of animated skeletons that had been actually studded with cyan diamonds, and more. There was a subtle scent of lavender mixed with type O- blood, and it was positively tantalizing to the vampires in attendance, and pleasant to others. You spot Gavroche le Claire, the second most powerful man alive (a level 98 elven Rogue/Warlock), who had taken on an offended, top ranked Demon Lord one on one, and emerged victorious. His degree of charm was almost cloying; it took conscious effort to resist it, and you collectively turn your eyes (and thoughts) elsewhere. You then spot the following, eyes taking the notable assembled in within moments. There was Kriega McBarty, vicious knight (level 88 orc Paladin of Tyranny/Fighter), Sister Simplice, twisted psychopath (level 74 illithid Spontaneous cleric/monk), Henry the Red Paw (level 94 tibbit vampire Wizard/Sorcerer), and Johnny the Poisoned (level 69 human Evolutionist/Druid who is famous for his family connections, rather than his raw power). You also notice many other Grands whose features are more subtle or whose face unknown, but you have no time to discern them from your mind.

Then the moment was over, and Henry the Red Paw casually leaped from his ornate silk perch, and showed an extraordinary capacity for jumping, in that he landed directly on top of the head of one of the jewel skeleton waiters, before casually speaking, with no regard for a tibbit's normal inability to speak in cat form. His collar was ornate, he wore four earrings, he had multiple anklets, and there was a rumor going around that he was, in fact, wearing the skinned and enchanted fur of another cat.
    "Why, how wonderful to see you six. I invited you myself, of course. Don't you just adore the decor? The Goblin Queen designed it herself, of course. Terribly stubborn, that one. I'm certain that we'll get along splendidly. Tell me, what's your primary goal, anyways? I'm simply curious.
    Last edited by Bobbybobby99; 2015-10-09 at 02:27 PM.
    -~-~-~-

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.
    Niccolo Machiavelli.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Red chuckles, takes a sip of his tea, frowns, and mumbles to himself "Hmm... still not right... maybe some almonds?" then continues in an actual reply "It hardly matters what I say in response. You can never be sure of the accuracy of what I say. If we were planning something against your interests... we would likely say something that is not against your interests so as to avoid repercussions and let us go about whatever our plan was. If we were planning something not against your interests... we would say our plan in response. Which means you'd get the exact same response regardless of veracity... and you can never be quite sure whether or not we have a way around whatever verification method you might be using. That is, of course, assuming that we'd give up our purpose so easily, and that this was the appropriate venue for doing such if we did (that sort of information is generally best kept between small numbers of individuals, after all, rather than all the guests at a wonderful party). I suspect you'd be much better served by observing our character while we all enjoy the party."
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2015-10-09 at 12:46 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Henry smiled a bloodthirsty smile, practically purring as he lightly stretched.
    "Oh, how silly of me. Still, you would be suprised how utterly excellent I am at discerning if people are lying to me, and you really wouldn't like what would happen if you were lying to me. There are a dreadful number of favors someone acquires once they've been around the block, after all. Of course, you were perfectly honest, and it's always quite telling of a man's character what he says to defend it, or what he does to deflect questions, much more so than what he actually says. I just know that I know what I need to know now; Thanks."
    On that note, he suddenly blinked out of perception, regardless of the various divination techniques available. You can all breathe a sigh of relief, at least on the inside. Despite a strength in numbers, it was always good to be tense around Henry, since he was renowned for isolating his opponents, and none of them stood a good match for someone who had a solid three rank advantage. Now, it seemed, it was time for them to mingle.

(you can describe the person that you are mingling with in broad words (simply for convenience sake so I
    don't have to write ridiculous amounts), and act out your actions towards them, but I'll be handling replies to whatever you say)
    Last edited by Bobbybobby99; 2015-10-09 at 02:29 PM.
    -~-~-~-

Niccolo Machiavelli.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Jarvis, today in the shape of a graceful Dryad, moves ever so slightly in discomfort seing Henry taking a life so casually.
    "Thank you for the invitation, Henry", he says in a voice that in no way reveals his dislike of Henry's actions as the cat turns around, seemingly having lost interest in the group.

He walks around and mingles for some time before coincidently ending up beside Johnny taking the chance to talk about forms, shapes and evolutions with someone that he expects shares at least some of his entusiasm on that particular subject. He's hoping to both gather information in an area that genuinely interests him, getting an impression of Johnny's personality and goals and getting on his good side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wild shaped into an Paragon, Pseudonatural Low-imbued adamantine golem. Assuming "normal form" means the form before any magical alterations(which is fey): Alter self into a dryad, alter self(invisibility spell) into the same dryad to fool true seeing with friends.

Bluff to not conseal a strong dislike in casually killing things: (1d20+441)[460]

Pheromones active: Causes NPC's starting attitude to be helpful if their HD is below 80 and their sense motive modifier is below 81.
    I don't expect us to roll with the standard rules for diplomacy but I figure it can't help to roll: Towards Johnny (1d20+441)[449]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Johnny the Poisoned, with the general appearance of bipedal, anthromorphized, two headed hydra, was a curious fellow. He was wearing a spring green tuxedo, which matched the dark green of his scales, and contrasted with the devilish red of his eyes. The right head spoke, his voice high pitched.
    "I'm not much into animal transformations, I have to say. Always thought the people that did that too often were a bit weird in the head. Like plants though. Lots of plants. Sometimes I just spend days on end as an apple tree hidden in an apple orchard. Very Zen. Then when people pick the apples, I change the biology so that the small amounts of cyanide present turn into big amounts of cyanide present, and then when they die I eat them. Very Tasty."

Despite having a rather annoying voice, Johnny seems relatively pleasant in disposition through your conversation. He seems to be quite fond of you; while he is sufficiently perceptive to avoid the pheromones you are exuding, and he is capable of resisting any charms you possess, he nonetheless finds you rather charming and witty. His primary goal is occluded; while he seems to be presenting a front of 'Bread and circuses', there is a certain subtle sophistication to his speech that makes you wary of his true intent. Your suspicions lean towards the subtly nefarious.

As your mingling leads elsewhere...
    Last edited by Bobbybobby99; 2015-10-10 at 08:41 PM.
    -~-~-~-

Niccolo Machiavelli.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Rothight Enthiang Draissight sips his tea, and mutters "No, that's not quite it either... maybe some dryad bark?" and while doing so, the scent attracts a connoisseur - a warlord from a far eastern continent. The two hit it off fairly well, Red runs a full tea ceremony for the man, and afterwards, they get into a brief conversation about where Red gets his materials, noting that several of the items used for the impromptu ceremony were enchanted, but that they didn't seem to come from anywhere. The human lets the warlord know that no, they weren't from anywhere. He created them on the spot just for that purpose. The warlord comments "You could outfit an army with that fairly readily" to which Red replies "Well, yes, I suppose I could make a living as an arms dealer... but there's little point. What profit is there for me? An army is unlikely to be able to get me anything I can't simply make myself. I've no real objection to doing so, but in order for it to be worth the time, well..." to which the warlord considers, and replies "Let me think about it and get back to you...."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Karlamine snorted with her center head, loudly clearing her throat to both announce her (slightly belated) arrival, as well as to awake the sleeping Queen who clung to her back. Venelana did his best to make her appear presentable, a few time-stops allowing him to advise her on a tasteful state of dress, before the three returned to the main timeline, entering the palace. Velour was never one for the indoor life, but she had to admit, something about the manor was quaintly charming. She would have to speak to the owner on who did her decorations.

Karlamine adjusted her size to be more suitable for the parties environment, some aid from her keeper making the process a bit quicker, and the three strode through, scanning the area for someone worth conversing with or, barring that, a garden or park they might spend some time lounging about in. Venalana continually informed Velour of who, exactly, was in attendance, what sort of scandals they were involved in, and what positions of power they held where. Velour nodded absent mindedly as she produced a small fox from her sleeves, running down her arm and into her lap, Velour scratching behind it's ears as Karlamine lead her through the crowded area.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Red waits patiently and tries to remain still through the time stops, keeping an eye out for others who have learned to hijack others' time manipulation magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff to seem to be 'stuck' in the normal timestream, taking ten, for a result of 460
    Spot to watch for anyone who isn't, taking ten, for a result of 102

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You're seemingly successful. Also, Yira and Arbor (especially Arbor) can post any day now.
    -~-~-~-

Niccolo Machiavelli.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The human considers for a moment, then Time Stops repeatedly, and uses the time to drop a Ring of Three Wishes on each place setting. They aren't cursed at all, but they do have a custom command word for their activation: "The Grand Winter Solstice Galla is the best"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using at-will Quickened Maximized Time Stop repeatedly to stay in Time Stop for long enough to drop a Ring of Three Wishes, generated by at-will Quickened Enhanced Supernatural Wish, on each and every place setting I can find, added onto the napkins as a secondary napkin holder. Also imbuing the rings with a little extra Wish XP. Those Wishes come with an extra 6k XP each, in case they're needed to create minor magical items (those with a crafting cost of 3000 xp or less, which works out to most magic items with a market price of 75,000 gp or less per Wish); this brings the crafting XP cost per ring to 33,918 xp, which is within my reach. The rings come with no inherent indication of where they came from. Notes indicate about 200 guests, so 200 place settings expected, which would be 200 Wishes over 200 rounds. Use the last round in each Time Stop to invoke another Time Stop, rather than a Wish, and that's 50 invocations of the at-will Quickened Maximized Time Stop for 250 consecutive rounds in one swift action real-time.

This serves two purposes:
    1) Bore anyone else who has Spell Stowaway(Time Stop) into showing themselves, seeing as how pretending not to have it means staying stock-still for a full 25 minutes. Doable, but most won't without very good cause.
    2) Sooner or later, someone is going to want a large quantity of low-epic equipment for their minions, and getting someone curious to the point where they solve a puzzle to find me should do the job for advertising... but if the rings just say where they come from, they won't be curious, they'll just read it and forget it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: The Albino Kobold
    Show
    After a few minutes, an old, albino Kobold woman, seemingly blind, begins loudly screaming every two minutes or so, though she doesn't seem very aware of her surroundings in general, and she doesn't move to stop you. You vaguely recall mention of her being an old Wizard/Spontaneous cleric, somewhere is the lower seventies in level, who decided to request an immunity to aging when forming a wish, but forgot to specify a halting of the steady increase in time perception and furthermore halted her aging at around sixty, rather than the present moment. Nowadays she has severe mental problems, and generally barely notes the passage of years, much less moments. You notice a kindly old yellow Kobold (non-grand, but brought along) gently holding her hand; her husband, for whom she made a similar wish one day long ago, and the screaming is likely because of the once soft grip turned to iron by the time stop, and the disruption of her routine.

Spoiler: Gavroche Claire.
    Show
    After you began moving, he began gently sipping at his wine, sitting down in his chair and bringing out a book on 'Unique semi-balors and how to bind them''. His expression seems much less intimidating than prior, and when you drop a ring at his table, he murmurs 'I was looking for an excuse to do that' while flipping a very large emerald in your general direction. He doesn't seem to much care about the interruption, all in all, and seems to have deemed you a distinct non-threat compared to the people he is sitting with, who include the frozen Henry, Sister Simplice, and a few other particularly powerful and dangerous individuals. You still have to look away to avoid the urge to fawn and kiss his boots. (one of the dangers of knowing someone who specializes in diplomacy)

Spoiler: The Five Wizards of Quince.
    Show
    All five of the five wizards of Quince, a group of fairly minor Grands living from the ideals of the Archmage Quince (a famous, ancient, level 100 wizard/archivist) seem to have continued conversing at there little group table. Having already silenced and blurred everything outside of a small bubble (and vise versa) in order to discuss philosophy and metaphysics in private, the 'ironically' bearded, pointy hatted, wizards in RYGBV robes didn't even notice the rings discretely deposited in their places.
    Last edited by Bobbybobby99; 2015-10-12 at 07:54 PM.
    -~-~-~-

Niccolo Machiavelli.

18. - Top - End - #18

Some time earlier...

"Me and mine have our own protective wards to protect ourselves but additional layers of protection would be most welcome. Gentle Anna muses.

"Oh! Before I forget, I muuuust give you some lady fingers." Before anyone else can get a word in, Morri starts snapping off the fingers of one hand and handing one out to each of the other grands with a giggle. ♪♪ "Whenever you need aid, say a prayer to this lovely maid. She'll come on down with nary a frown and even come back from the dead." ♪♪

Raising a hand to cover her mask/face, Badb turns to Gentle Anna. "Tell me Morri didn't break out into song again."

"Oh but she did." Gentle Anna nonchalantly replied.

"I think I'll need something stronger than tea to get through all of this..."

At the gala...

Decanter of Endless Rashemi Fire Wine at the ready, the Arbor of the Sun crosses over to the actual gala alongside their fellow grands. Like Jarvis, they have chosen to don a smaller form to interact with the others at their own size. Clad in the sheerest green slip that could be called proper in polite company, the three stand a bit behind the others as they are graced by the presence of Henry the Red Paw. Gentle Anna looks on serenely while Morri begins to hum an old nursery rhyme that involves cats and Badb has her mouth firmly locked unto the opening of the decanter trying to drown out Morri's sickeningly sweet swinging from her short-term memory.

As the others make their own way through the gala, the Arbor decides to let Morri take control of their body as she spots a familiar figure relatively nearby. Count Video, that rapscallion of a grand, stood in a haze of ozone and television static clad in a haphazard suit that part ermine cloak, military parade regalia and terry cloth robe. He stood amongst a group of other beings, both grands and their companions, the sound of zaps, clicks and buzzing passing quickly in conversation. Morri and the other two quickly approaching the digital lord and lightly rapping on the crystal ball he calls a head. ♫ "Heya County! How are things out in Tee Vee land?" ♫

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hope you don't mind me taking the liberty of bringing in some crazy characters. I got inspired by the names you gave to some of the other NPCs already.

And yes, Morri is gonna do a lot more singing. Not all of them will be good.

Now to find a way to make a party cannon for the place...
    Last edited by Avalon®; 2015-10-13 at 12:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Count Video (level 82 Artificer/Bard with an obscure prestige class or two), one of the sillier Grands currently in existence, but none the less rather respected, made a point of attending both the Summer and Winter gallas each year; and niether faction cared to alienate him. He was the developer of a unique, cheaply produced type of crystal ball which took the form of a metal box, rather than an actual crystal. He had developed an iron grip over a wide range of media, in both his country and neighboring ones; it would be unwise to upset him. Luckily, you two are old friends.
    "Hey there Arbie, Baby!" He said, clearly announcing the individual words in the midst of the numberous clicks and bees of his strange enchantments. "Things are just grand, if you get my meanin'. Gotta love it!"

You and he, smiling and grinning, begin bantering, and stay talking to each other for a while. Catching up, talking about your alliance, his new mass production techniques; it was a grand old time, and some of the alcohol is catching up with your body in general. Elsewhere...
    Last edited by Bobbybobby99; 2015-10-13 at 08:12 PM.
    -~-~-~-

Niccolo Machiavelli.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Once he lets time resume, Red generates a simulacrum of an advanced female Astral Deva, telepathic bonds with it, and mentally directs the fake Astral Deva to take the gem to his garden shed for now, while verbally telling her to take it to one of his vaults.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not touching the gem. There's an 8th level spell that makes me nervous about such large stones. Garden shed in case it's a different kind of trap - still have to get into the fortress that's Forbiddaneced and has no exterior entry... the Astral Deva isn't actually capable of getting in on it's own, and as such, isn't actually capable of following through on the verbal order. Not that I really expect the gem to actually be trapped or anything, mind, but caution is useful in general (sometimes harmful, but in general useful).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It isn't long before Velour finds herself at one of the many tables designated for food. While, surely, most here did not require such frivolity any longer, the sensation and taste of true food had always held a certain appeal to the natures queen. Partaking in one of just about everything, and her loyal second in command helping herself to two. Venelana sighed audibly as he began issuing appollagies to any who happened to observe the unusual... vigor with which the two consumed their foods.

When finally she grew satisfied, Velour turned, eager for discussions, and perhaps insight, into the way of the high and mighty.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Red takes a moment to look around, just observing people's interactions. Are there those that seem to be avoiding each other? Clumps of people in groups? Odd bees in the mix?

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a Swift action to duplicate Divine Insight for a quick +85 to an arbitrary skill check, and using that on a Sense Motive, then taking ten, for a result of 103 if it matters.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Velour attracts the attention of a dashingly handsome, yet somewhat older (and dwarvish) gentleman, whose face she places as belonging to Ricky Ronaldson (a dwarven level 77 Swashbuckler/Beguiler), a friendly yet conniving fellow. He had made the habit of being something of a brown widow when he was younger, but nowadays he mostly made the habit of quietly tending to his garden, occasionally check up on his lieutenants, and attending the Galla each year out of nostalgia.
    "Why hello, most esteemed mistress of the green world. I have to say, you're even more lovely in person. Would you care to dance?"
    Either he was actually that friendly, having softened in his old age, or that was exactly what he wanted everyone to think. As you begin to waltz to the music that the band began playing (he was a very persuasive sort), he leaned in close, and whispered, with a very strong illusion concealing the action.
    "Be wary of Kriega and her allies. She despises upsets to the status quo."
    He then resumed waltzing.

Spoiler: Jack
    Show
    There are several minor groups, formed as if unconsciously, but you don't take them in. Besides the Five Wizards of Quince, who you already observed, you further notice the twin, blonde (half-elf) rogues Haley and Caleb casually conversing with Kriega McBarty, and the three Lizardfolk of Tenebri (an obscure three continent empire on the edge of Aernum) standing in a patch of artificial, heated darkness. In terms of individuals acting strangely, you notice that Sister Simplice has started staring at the slave she is currently devouring, rather than eating it, and an unknown man dressed in an easter green tuxedo has begun staring at the ring of three wishes, and has begun casting several rudimentary spells at it. While Kriega herself gives no clues, nor Caleb, a sly and thin sort of man, Haley has given Jarvis several glances in the last minute, and seems to be subtly sweating.
    -~-~-~-

Niccolo Machiavelli.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Rothight Enthiang Draissight uses the established Interplanar telepathic bond to relay a few things to his allies: Looks like we've got our first problem. Jarvis: You've got an admirer! Or more accurately, one out of a group of three is looking at you and sweating. The others are keeping it cool... but the one lady is nervous. I don't think it's the romantic sort. Seems more like someone's planning violence, and isn't too sure of the outcome. We've got... Haley and Caleb - two blond twin half-elf rogues, along with Kriega. I'll think on it for a bit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So rolls! Starting with Lore (functions as Bardic Knowledge)
    Haley: (1d20+417)[422]
    Caleb: (1d20+417)[430]
    Kriega: (1d20+417)[429]
    Taking a swift action to activate my time stop for the rest. That gives me five rounds to play with.
    Bluff to seem to be frozen in time in case anyone gets onto the Time Stop and is watching: (1d20+450)[458]
    First, swift action to duplicate Improvisation (Spell Compendium: Gives me a luck pool equal to twice my caster level that I can use on various things, but no more than 1/2 my cl on any given check.
    Then taking another swift action to duplicate Divine Insight, and making a roll using that and the luck pool on: Haley: Knowledge: (1d20+483)[492]
    Then taking another swift action to duplicate Divine Insight, and making a roll using that and the luck pool on: Caleb: Knowledge: (1d20+483)[496]
    Then taking another swift action to duplicate Divine Insight, and making a roll using that and the luck pool on: Kriega: Knowledge: (1d20+483)[484]
    - Note that it really doesn't matter which knowledge skill is appropriate, as I have the same modifier on all of them.
    - This leaves me with 40 points in my luck pool, and I've got 76 more rounds in which to use them.

General Knowledge Check DC is 10 + HD, with "For every 5 points by which your check result exceeds the DC, you recall another piece of useful information."

I'm taking on the role of party librarian. I'd like to know all about them, please, before the waltz becomes a tango.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

After thinking on it for a short time, Rothight Enthiang Draissight snags Jarvis' hand, seeing as how the dryad form will make a good dance partner, and swiftly duplicates yet another spell as he verbally says "Dance with me," while explaining in detail over the interplanar telepathic bond to the entire party Plots are afoot, and I've got two reasons for this dance... one is of course to inform you all of what I saw; we've got a plotter - Kreiga, Haley, and Caleb seem to be plotting against us... mostly Kreiga, but dragging the others along... for the crime of upsetting the local status quo. That's the first reason. The second: when someone's plotting, and convincing others to go along with the plot... the simplest way to foil it is to convince the others not to go along with it. And many are swayed by performances... but it's not done that way often, and so most won't realize. The specific reason for grabbing you, Jarvis, is that you're currently the center of attention for at least one of the group.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm taking some liberties simply because Sønderjye hasn't posted in over a week... but if Jarvis wouldn't go along with the dance, even with the explanation, then please, let me know and I'll edit.

Supernatural Wish to duplicate Divine Insight.
    Perform(Dance): I'm claiming an Aid Another from Jarvis for a quick +2 (he can't fail the roll). Burning the last of the luck bonus from Improvisation (40 points) and using the Divine Insight on it as well. (1d20+499)[516], making use of the Epic Usage of Perform for the "sway an audience’s attitude" function. I don't much care about the Fanatic state - it's not needed for what I'm doing, and everyone's probably straight-up immune anyway due to Mind Blank or similar; I just want everyone who's watching because they're evaluating us friendly enough that they won't go along with plans to hurt us.

26. - Top - End - #26

Yira had been doing her best to keep herself both part of the affairs and yet detached from them. She feared that some kind of attack may soon occur. They were a threat to most of the people seated here, if not alone then certainly as part of the whole.

As such she was completely ready when the telepathic message came over from Red. She grinned to herself at the show that was being put on and she decided to add to it herself. It had been a long time since she had been given the opportunity to sing to such a large crowd and so she took it. She stepped up and smiled a radiant smile.

"I can not simply allow my compatriots to sing to just any music, no offense to the playing of course. But for such a moment perhaps it is best that I sing for you."

As the music stopped she wove her voice into the brief period where the instruments got lower, forming a perfect seaway into her own sorrowful song. It seemed to resonate throughout the room. She poured every bit of her soul and her bardic talents into it but did not invoke a bardic effect.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Using epic diplomacy skill to effect the viewers in the room as well. Taking ten for a result of 449.

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybobby99 View Post
    Johnny the Poisoned, with the general appearance of bipedal, anthromorphized, two headed hydra, was a curious fellow. He was wearing a spring green tuxedo, which matched the dark green of his scales, and contrasted with the devilish red of his eyes. The right head spoke, his voice high pitched.
    "I'm not much into animal transformations, I have to say. Always thought the people that did that too often were a bit weird in the head. Like plants though. Lots of plants. Sometimes I just spend days on end as an apple tree hidden in an apple orchard. Very Zen. Then when people pick the apples, I change the biology so that the small amounts of cyanide present turn into big amounts of cyanide present, and then when they die I eat them. Very Tasty."

Despite having a rather annoying voice, Johnny seems relatively pleasant in disposition through your conversation. He seems to be quite fond of you; while he is sufficiently perceptive to avoid the pheromones you are exuding, and he is capable of resisting any charms you possess, he nonetheless finds you rather charming and witty. His primary goal is occluded; while he seems to be presenting a front of 'Bread and circuses', there is a certain subtle sophistication to his speech that makes you wary of his true intent. Your suspicions lean towards the subtly nefarious.

As your mingling leads elsewhere...
    At the mention of eating people Jarvis head twitched ever so slightly and she tries to his it by letting it appear as if it was caused by a second head growing from her neck. "Do you find that the cyanide adds to the taste?", continueing as if nothing had happened. "Could you elaborate on this Zen? I have been too distracted to look into it on a meaningful level and have only heard sparcely about it".

At some convinient point she'll mingle with Count Video, the 5 wizards of Quince, , mostly focussed on the topic of constructs. She's also interested in finding someone who she can talk to about population control.

Jarvis' face lights up in a smile that is almost blinding when asked to dance. "It would be my pleasure, Rothight", she answers in a voice that brings remindance of roses unfolding. She takes the offered hand and apologizes politely to her current conversationists before following Roth. <<I see>> she responds telepathically while giving Rothgith her brightest smile, <<Should we wait and see what they have planned or do you already have a plan?>>

Spoiler
    Show
    Changing pronoun to "she" for the purpose of staying true to Jarvis' current form.
    Diplomacy to appear intaking, taking 10 for 451. Taking 10 in perform for 401(including a +2 from aid another, thanks bud)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The human continues the dance, and telepathically talks to the party My current plan is of the 'an ounce of prevention' variety, and we're following through on it as we 'speak'. Kreiga appears to be soliciting help in taking us down. If those she's trying to convince like us sufficiently that they're unwilling to move against us, then her plan falls apart before it begins. I don't have enough specifics of her plan to preempt it beyond that, however. Who's best at eavesdropping while avoiding notice? It'd be useful if we knew exactly what she's proposing to people.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

<<Depending on how perceptive she is I could turn into something small and crawl into her ear>> Jarvis offers telepathically.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Red replies across the Interplanar Telepathic Bond while continuing the dance I can think of a few reasons why that path is not recommended. First, I need you for the dance. Second, we don't know how perceptive she is, and thus anything that relies on her being non-perceptive is very risky. Third, we're being observed, so if any of us vanish it will put her on alert. Nah. What we need is someone who's skilled at simple listening, and can pick out one conversation from across the room.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glancing through sheets, it looks like it's Velour's time to shine with that +794 Listen modifier.