New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Male

Default Metamind's Font of Power. Psi-Like. Why?

Why is the metamind's font of power capstone a Psi-Like Ability?

Font of Power (Ps)
    A 10th-level metamind can act as a living cognizance crystal, producing seemingly endless power points once per day, for up to 1 minute. His eyes shine like tiny stars, and faint illumination seems to beam out of his mouth and the end of each of his fingers. While so empowered, he can manifest any of his powers without drawing from his power point reserve. He finds the power points he needs welling up within his own body.

If a metamind using this ability enters a metaconcert, his power point reserve is accessed normally for the purpose of his contributing to the pool.
    There is nothing about that which looks "Psi-Like" to me. If anything, it's a perfect candidate for a Supernatural Ability.

Also, as a (Ps) ability, I assume it's a standard action to perform, it can be dispelled, it provokes AoOs, and it can fizzle. But it has no manifester level, nor does it have an effective power level to set the Concentration DC to keep it from fizzling.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Rubik; 2015-10-04 at 07:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Metamind's Font of Power. Psi-Like. Why?

Most likely so activating it provokes, as you theorized. I could see it distracting the psion briefly.

As for the power level, I agree it should be stated if they're going to make it a PLA. Note however that making it supernatural would have also made it a standard action by default, so no change there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Metamind's Font of Power. Psi-Like. Why?

Listen, the psionic ability types are idiosyncratic. ALL manifestation is Psi-Like, with no actual Psi for them to be like. I wouldn't sweat it. o.0
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.