Thread: Flash, Season 2

1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Flash, Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by themaque View Post
    The answer to this is very simple..

Spoiler
    Show
    The evil powers of budgetary constraints. Why build a whole new set when you already have one precinct and news room already created and established in the audiences mind?

I'm curious when jay will be returning and how he will work around saying "I told you so".
    Yes yes that's a valid meta (heh) reason, but there could be a reason in universe as well. Don't be so cynical man.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    I wonder...how/when Caitlin will become Killer Frost.
    ...spoilers?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's hardly a secret, I've seen it mentioned in pretty much every article about the series that mentioned her
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    It's hardly a secret, I've seen it mentioned in pretty much every article about the series that mentioned her
    For those of us who haven't read the comic, it's news to us. I hadn't known the sidekicks of the show are actually in the comics. I just know Flash. I only know of Star Labs from the previous Flash tv show.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think Killer Frost will be Caitlyn from earth-2

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    For those of us who haven't read the comic, it's news to us. I hadn't known the sidekicks of the show are actually in the comics. I just know Flash. I only know of Star Labs from the previous Flash tv show.
    They also showed her with Ice Powers in the flashes (heh) of alternate futures/dimensions at the conclusion of season 1.
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

7. - Top - End - #127

New episode!

Spoiler
    Show
    We get some interesting moments with Grodd, who is the best. Sadly we also pitch him out of this Earth. Good plan though, too bad Wells-2 isn't an ******* or it would of gone a lot smoother...somehow. That sounds silly now that I think about it.

We've got some hints that a second Event will happen and the coffee shop girl will...become Hawk-girl which actually kind of rules? We also solved the whole "got crippled" thing. Something I need to point out is how apparently Caitlin's last name is Snow and wow that's...unsubtle if she apparently becomes a frost powered person.

Also it's pretty obvious that Wells-2 made the Grodd of his world. He's just not a good Dad...though he also made Gorilla City I guess? Though I wonder how Grodd is going to react to the fact that an alternate version of him is out here.

All in all, a good episode. Though apparently starting December we're gonna get dumb crossover episodes with Arrow. I won't be watching those purely due to lack of time, but feel free to talk about them here so we don't miss the plot!

Also where is Jay didn't he stay on Earth-1?

8. - Top - End - #128

PirateGuy

The crossover episodes are the lead-in to the new show, so you may want to watch them. CW puts them up for free on their website, no need to see them live or right away.
    Now with half the calories!

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    The crossover episodes are the lead-in to the new show, so you may want to watch them. CW puts them up for free on their website, no need to see them live or right away.
    They do? Are those available in Canada?

Also I...look I like The Flash but The Arrow is bad, I'm not sure I'll have the time or desire to keep up with the new show. But I'll give it a chance.

10. - Top - End - #130

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    http://www.cwtv.com/shows/the-flash/...b-4f5a1f38e1f4

I don't know if Canada can access them, but there's an easy way to find out. Shows tend to go up a few hours after they air, none of this "need to wait a week" that other broadcast networks do.

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    http://www.cwtv.com/shows/the-flash/...b-4f5a1f38e1f4

I don't know if Canada can access them, but there's an easy way to find out. Shows tend to go up a few hours after they air, none of this "need to wait a week" that other broadcast networks do.
    Nope, not available up here v_v

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Man broadcasting laws suck... It's not like Global or Space is going to put those on their websites...
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

Also I...look I like The Flash but The Arrow is bad, I'm not sure I'll have the time or desire to keep up with the new show. But I'll give it a chance.
    It looks like LoT will be premiering during the mid-season break so at least at first time shouldn't be an issue. You should have ample time to figure out whether you like it before it is competing with a bunch of other shows.

14. - Top - End - #134

This new show also doesn't seem to have the same Theme or feeling as Arrow. So I'm anxious to see how it turns out. It's obviously the TV version of the Justice League. (since they are reserving that name for the Movie itself)

I haven't been able to get into Arrow, and myself was going "ugh, I guess I'm watching this week."
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

15. - Top - End - #135

So I'm guessing that the upcoming episode of the Flas will be the second part of the 2 part episode, with Arrow's "Legends of Yesterday" being the first part (Or is it the other way around)

Either way I hope they don't reference too much Arrow stuff because I don't watch that show.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    So I'm guessing that the upcoming episode of the Flas will be the second part of the 2 part episode, with Arrow's "Legends of Yesterday" being the first part (Or is it the other way around)

Either way I hope they don't reference too much Arrow stuff because I don't watch that show.
    Flash's "Legends of Today" airs a day before the Arrow's "Legend of Yesterday", so I think Flash's episode is the first part.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm not sure if I like the Flash anymore. I've been watching it since it started, it's a cool concept, I like the characters, and I like the story-line in general. But it's starting to do a few things I'm really not fond of.

For one, it's become extremely formulaic in the worst possible place in the episodes. The climactic encounter. Flash and gang come up with a plan. The initial attempt fails. Flash doubts himself, jeopardizing the battle. Somebody leans into the mic and delivers an impassioned speech to motivate Flash. Flash, motivated, redoubles his efforts and defeats the bad guy. It's disappointing.

For another, it's crossing the streams with Arrow too much. I tried to watch Arrow, I did, but I couldn't get through the second season. And yet, they keep having big crossover events, and characters randomly hop from one show to the other. When they show up, I don't know anything about them, how they fit into the world, I'm not emotionally invested in them... So when things happen, I can't really connect with them. Forcing these connections is the same thing that's been killing comics. I want to watch this show, but it's starting to feel like I HAVE to watch arrow if I want to know what's going on, and I'm not going to add an hour-long show I don't actually enjoy to my DVR routine just so I can enjoy this show a little more. If they want to connect the stories, loosely, that's fine, just don't make it mandatory in order for me to enjoy the show I actually want to watch.

And the one that's really bugging me lately: It's too slow. Or, perhaps, too long. When you develop a story, there are plot points you have to hit to tell that story. The thing is, a plot point is just that, a tiny little point, a little nugget of information you must convey to the audience. Think of it like a racing game where you have to hit checkpoints to finish the race. You can do whatever you want between those checkpoints, but you have to hit them in order to complete it. The writers seem to be taking their sweet time, driving slow and making SURE they don't miss them. And sure, going faster means it's harder to steer. But driving slow, lingering between points, and roaming around isn't nearly as satisfying as putting the hammer down and beating the course record. They're stretching a story that could have easily fit into a half hour into an hour-long slot, and it's dragging because of that. Especially in the emotional scenes. The characters just keep taking long, dramatic pauses, giving each other meaningful looks, and repeating what they've said a dozen times in other episodes. Honestly, there are times during the slower scenes where I'll fast forward to get to an actual development. Like, I know where this scene is going, I'm not gonna sit around and watch somebody sigh and mope around for another full minute.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

New episode!
    Spoiler
    Show

The bits involving Arrow centric stuff where bad and the bits involving Flash centric stuff where good. Not a surprise here. I really hope Kendra tells destiny to screw off and stays with Sisco though. Vandal Savage is pretty cool, though I don't get the whole "consumes the souls of the bird warriors" thing.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler: Preciously on Flash and Arrow
    Show
    I am watching the episode on Hulu right now and have just got past the "Previously" segment, but I had to pause it to say that I officially want no more crossovers with Flash and Arrow if bribing someone to say they "lost the baby" (and no, I don't care what the context is) is what Arrow brings to my wacky fun super hero show.

Edit: And...I am both relieved and annoyed that there was no actual point in mentioning it.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-12-02 at 02:30 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Edit: And...I am both relieved and annoyed that there was no actual point in mentioning it.
    End of episode in the coffee shop. That's Queen's son and ex-fiancee.

21. - Top - End - #141

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    End of episode in the coffee shop. That's Queen's son and ex-fiancee.
    Nah, Ollie stares slackjawed at women and their kids moving in slo-mo all the time.

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Spoiler: Preciously on Flash and Arrow
    Show
    I am watching the episode on Hulu right now and have just got past the "Previously" segment, but I had to pause it to say that I officially want no more crossovers with Flash and Arrow if bribing someone to say they "lost the baby" (and no, I don't care what the context is) is what Arrow brings to my wacky fun super hero show.

Spoilers: Arrow is bad. Arrow is REALLY BAD. You can tell when something Arrow related shows up because it is very bad. The only part I liked that explicitly involved Arrow was
    Spoiler
    Show
    him seeing how well loved The Flash is and getting supremely owned over and over again emotionally by this fact. The Arrow is BAD.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Barbarian in the Playground

To be honest, I actually like season 4 so far. The villain is very entertaining, and I like Ollie and Felicities relationship.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

24. - Top - End - #144

I haven't seen a single episode of Arrow, and don't plan to, what do I need to know before watching Legends of Today?
    Last edited by Zmeoaice; 2015-12-02 at 12:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not much really. Flash and Arrow already know each other (Barry debuted on Arrow). Honestly, If you don't want to watch the show, then there's no reason to. It will spare you the awfulness that is the latter half of season 3.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

I like and watch both shows. I didn't like this crossover so far. It was both too rushed and not well written.

Merlyn was completely out of character.

Flash running to arrow for help felt sooo forced.

I'm getting sick of people walking into star labs.

I didn't like the sisco could 'pick up' Kendra back a few shows ago, but lived with it assuming something would come of it for the cross over... and blah. They could have skiped them dating entirely, had her get attacked well barry and crew were leaving, and still have team flash save her. That could have been last weeks show, then now we can have them go to Ollie AFTER savage did something really magical...

this felt forced. This is the worst superheros show of the year, and that's saying a lot compared to Gotham.

Ollie running into his son was the only part I really liked last night.
    Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trish- 3rd/5th battlemaster fighter/infernal sword warlock (5e D&D)
    Vesper-6th Gen Tremer (OwoD)
    Emerald Star- PL13 GL of Earth (Mutants and Masterminds DCU)

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I'm not sure if I like the Flash anymore. I've been watching it since it started, it's a cool concept, I like the characters, and I like the story-line in general. But it's starting to do a few things I'm really not fond of.

For one, it's become extremely formulaic in the worst possible place in the episodes. The climactic encounter. Flash and gang come up with a plan. The initial attempt fails. Flash doubts himself, jeopardizing the battle. Somebody leans into the mic and delivers an impassioned speech to motivate Flash. Flash, motivated, redoubles his efforts and defeats the bad guy. It's disappointing.

For another, it's crossing the streams with Arrow too much. I tried to watch Arrow, I did, but I couldn't get through the second season. And yet, they keep having big crossover events, and characters randomly hop from one show to the other. When they show up, I don't know anything about them, how they fit into the world, I'm not emotionally invested in them... So when things happen, I can't really connect with them. Forcing these connections is the same thing that's been killing comics. I want to watch this show, but it's starting to feel like I HAVE to watch arrow if I want to know what's going on, and I'm not going to add an hour-long show I don't actually enjoy to my DVR routine just so I can enjoy this show a little more. If they want to connect the stories, loosely, that's fine, just don't make it mandatory in order for me to enjoy the show I actually want to watch.

And the one that's really bugging me lately: It's too slow. Or, perhaps, too long. When you develop a story, there are plot points you have to hit to tell that story. The thing is, a plot point is just that, a tiny little point, a little nugget of information you must convey to the audience. Think of it like a racing game where you have to hit checkpoints to finish the race. You can do whatever you want between those checkpoints, but you have to hit them in order to complete it. The writers seem to be taking their sweet time, driving slow and making SURE they don't miss them. And sure, going faster means it's harder to steer. But driving slow, lingering between points, and roaming around isn't nearly as satisfying as putting the hammer down and beating the course record. They're stretching a story that could have easily fit into a half hour into an hour-long slot, and it's dragging because of that. Especially in the emotional scenes. The characters just keep taking long, dramatic pauses, giving each other meaningful looks, and repeating what they've said a dozen times in other episodes. Honestly, there are times during the slower scenes where I'll fast forward to get to an actual development. Like, I know where this scene is going, I'm not gonna sit around and watch somebody sigh and mope around for another full minute.
    If you spend any more time in my head using my thoughts I'll have to charge you rent.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

This episode seemed really forced and rushed, especialy Hawkgirl's sudden acceptance. Still, I'm looking forward to LoT. I'm hoping it will be more like Flash than Arrow

29. - Top - End - #149

Devil

When Barry and felicity are talking about earth-2 ollie being bald and dumpy, all I could think about was how they were joking about a dead kid :(

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    When Barry and felicity are talking about earth-2 ollie being bald and dumpy, all I could think about was how they were joking about a dead kid :(
    ...like I said everything about Arrow is just bad. They can't even make jokes about Earth-2 Arrow because he's a dead child and that's awful. Oliver Queen your life sucks. Barry-2 may be a horrific Speedster monster but at least he's alive.

But yeah I apologize if I've **** too much on Arrow. It just seems really bad in comparision to Flash and Agents of Shield. But looking at Supergirl and, dear god the Batman v. Superman trailer that just came out today, I can safely say that Arrow's not bad bad it's just written weird.