New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Star Wars Rebels: Season Two

The second season of Star Wars Rebels kicks off next week (if you don't count them showing the season premiere/special back in June) and I hate to admit it, but the Comic Con trailer has me stoked:

There's a few seeming spoilers in it, but nothing too bad. I'm just geeking out at some of the ships we see early on. Also, Sarah Michelle Gellar as the new Inquisitor (one of them, anyway; we don't know anything about the other yet) - can hardly tell it's her, really, but the fact her husband plays Kanan, who she's hunting, makes me giggle.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Star Wars Rebels: Season Two

Well, that was a thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Wolffe sold them out to the Empire and has been intercepting Ahsoka's attempts to contact Rex. You'd think they'd have made a much bigger deal of that.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Wolfe is completely forgiven. Eh, I'd think Kanan would have way more hangups about that, but it's rather brushed aside. Otherwise, it was a pretty decent episode. My one big complaint is still Ahsoka's voice not quite fitting for me, since although she's much older now, she still has the same voice as when she was a Padawan.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr.Fallout View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Wolfe is completely forgiven. Eh, I'd think Kanan would have way more hangups about that, but it's rather brushed aside. Otherwise, it was a pretty decent episode. My one big complaint is still Ahsoka's voice not quite fitting for me, since although she's much older now, she still has the same voice as when she was a Padawan.
    Well, that happened to Dante Basco since he still have the same voice.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Anyone else feel that the AT-ATs were designed specifically so the rebels could exploit their weaknesses?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    Anyone else feel that the AT-ATs were designed specifically so the rebels could exploit their weaknesses?
    Well, to be fair, they were probably designed with the idea that any group of insurgents wouldn't have as much firepower/resources/Jedi as they do. I'm sure for every group that has anti-tank guns or trip lines, there are a whole bunch more that the AT-ATs do actually destroy or disperse. Unfortunately, we kinda have to take this on faith, as this is the only other time we've seen them being used in official canon, which really doesn't give them a good track record. :P

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Tried playing the new Battlefront game? AT-ATs are walking dispensers of death there, absurdly hard to take out.
    Last edited by Hyena; 2015-10-25 at 08:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
    Tried playing the new Battlefront game? AT-ATs are walking dispensers of death there, absurdly hard to take out.
    Well, in practical standpoint.
    - No other side weapons to defend itself against rear and side attack.
    - X-Wings and other fighters can fire from behind or sides instead of "use ropes" or "attack head on".
    - The aforementioned tripping.
    Depends if ATST and Tie Fighter (game) counts as rear guard.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone mind giving me an assessment of the show as it stands? I marathon ed Clone Wars on Netflix awhile ago and really enjoyed it, but the first three episodes of this were very underwhelming when they debuted. Granted, it took Clone some time before really hitting it's stride so I'm curious if this is the same. And if so, has that happened yet?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

If I wanted to watch this could I start with season two or do I have to go back and watch season one?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It takes a few episodes for the show to set up all the pieces (such as why the Empire would bother sending in elites to crush a freighter-full of ragtag troublemakers), but if you were hoping for something a bit more like later Clone Wars in tone, don't worry. They didn't forget what period they set the series in, and it picks up a bit faster than Clone Wars Season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Nova View Post
    If I wanted to watch this could I start with season two or do I have to go back and watch season one?
    Watch season one. You could pick it up at season two, but it's a very serial series this time around, so season one has all the details as to why the situation in season two is what it is.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2015-10-25 at 11:32 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Watch season one. You could pick it up at season two, but it's a very serial series this time around, so season one has all the details as to why the situation in season two is what it is.
    Funnily enough, both series are structurally similar to the movies their based off of. The Clone Wars is a collection of semi-related events with a wide array of minor characters and an endpoint that was hinted at but is ultimately only tangentially related to the rest of the series, much like the prequels were, whilst Rebels is very much a linear narrative focused on one small group of heroes, much like the OT was.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Well, in practical standpoint.
    - No other side weapons to defend itself against rear and side attack.
    - X-Wings and other fighters can fire from behind or sides instead of "use ropes" or "attack head on".
    - The aforementioned tripping.
    Depends if ATST and Tie Fighter (game) counts as rear guard.
    -It doesn't need protection, as its armor can repel just about any blast. Only a direct shot to the neck damages it.
    - No proof X-wings or speeders can damage AT-ATs anywhere else but the neck
    - Yes, they can be tripped, but following the movies, 1/3 attempts by elite pilots succeeded. The other's failed.
    - Yes, lightsabers can damage them, but the AT-AT was designed in a largely post-Jedi world.

On screen, we see a few walkers with a pair of AT-STs smash the best defenses the rebels could develop over several months, with the loss of 1 to trip and 1 to Jedi (godly) intervention. Yes, the legends information has tons of them and lots of casualties, but that is not what is seen on screen.

The walkers work.
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2015-10-26 at 01:41 PM.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    -It doesn't need protection, as its armor can repel just about any blast. Only a direct shot to the neck damages it.
    - Yes, they can be tripped, but following the movies, 1/3 attempts by elite pilots succeeded. The other's failed.
    - Yes, lightsabers can damage them, but the AT-AT was designed in a largely post-Jedi world.

On screen, we see a few walkers with a pair of AT-STs smash the best defenses the rebels could develop over several months, with the loss of 1 to trip and 1 to Jedi (godly) intervention. Yes, the legends information has tons of them and lots of casualties, but that is not what is seen on screen.

The walkers work.
    That's always been my interpretation of why they're effective. The rebels either have to choose between risking having their best pilots try and stop the AT-ATs (which would open them to enemy fighters or anti-air turrets), or focus them elsewhere and basically let the AT-ATs through. Essentially, any opposition has to play by the Empire's terms, and that's not how battles are won.

Of course, they're probably also stupidly expensive and incredibly difficult to field (due to terrain concerns), but that's another topic.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    They are terror weapons more than being practical. They have the Shock and Awe factor, the rumble of the ground, the fear of this giant THING coming towards you.

But if you have the right professional gear of war, not that bad. O'niel could give a nice demonstration on these as well.

With the technology available in the Star Wars universe, you get to a point where you can throw out common sense and go for psychological effects. Mech walkers are silly when you have such readily available hover technology and easy flight capability. But they LOOK scary.
    Last edited by themaque; 2015-10-26 at 08:30 PM.
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm not sure how it is now but IIRC in the old Legends canon the Imperial Military was dominated entirely by the Fleet. Big capital ships to dominate space was the admiralty's almost sole concern with every other aspect of warfare considered an afterthought.
    Last edited by Spamotron; 2015-10-26 at 09:43 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHerring View Post
    Of course, they're probably also stupidly expensive and incredibly difficult to field (due to terrain concerns), but that's another topic.
    No Argument on the cost, but it makes me chuckle to see that they are difficult to field because of terrain concerns when their very name is All Terrain Armored Transport (but like you, I'd love to see them deployed on terrain that is something other than vast flat terrain, trees not withstanding)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    No Argument on the cost, but it makes me chuckle to see that they are difficult to field because of terrain concerns when their very name is All Terrain Armored Transport (but like you, I'd love to see them deployed on terrain that is something other than vast flat terrain, trees not withstanding)
    While it seems like they could just step over most small obstacles, I think that they run into trouble trying to climb hills, due to their high center of gravity.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

19. - Top - End - #19

So last night was interesting.

Spoiler: Always Two There Are
    Show
    The additional Inquisitors aren't working together at all, preferring to argue over who gets credit for killing Ezra. Their bickering ultimately cost them the capture of the rebels. I have to wonder how that will play out as the season unfolds.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    So last night was interesting.

Spoiler: Always Two There Are
    Show
    The additional Inquisitors aren't working together at all, preferring to argue over who gets credit for killing Ezra. Their bickering ultimately cost them the capture of the rebels. I have to wonder how that will play out as the season unfolds.
    Spoiler: More than that...
    Show
    We know that Kanan never graduated Jedi school, and that he fell HARD at some point in his life. He certainly reacted, I don't know, oddly? Maybe even guiltily when asked why he never talked about there being more than one Inquisitor?

Do we know how he survived all of that Order 66 business? Is it possible that he actually spent some time in the Inquisitor training program before returning to the light?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    Spoiler: More than that...
    Show
    We know that Kanan never graduated Jedi school, and that he fell HARD at some point in his life. He certainly reacted, I don't know, oddly? Maybe even guiltily when asked why he never talked about there being more than one Inquisitor?

Do we know how he survived all of that Order 66 business? Is it possible that he actually spent some time in the Inquisitor training program before returning to the light?
    Spoiler: A New Dawn novel
    Show
    Order 66 happened when Kanan was still a padawan. His master gave her life to let him escape. The Inquisitorius certainly never had him, or he'd be dead.

In the interim, Kanan spent time on the outer rim being an itinerant pilot and laborer and trying his best to ignore the Force and stay ahead of the Empire. So far as the novels released with him in them so far tell me, Spark of Rebellion was the first time he'd used his lightsaber since the Clone Wars.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Anyone mind giving me an assessment of the show as it stands? I marathon ed Clone Wars on Netflix awhile ago and really enjoyed it, but the first three episodes of this were very underwhelming when they debuted. Granted, it took Clone some time before really hitting it's stride so I'm curious if this is the same. And if so, has that happened yet?
    It's much the same I'm afraid. The show has its moments but it is basically a giant step down from the clone wars in writing and like everything else I see on Disney XD, dumbed down hard and a heavy hand applied to make it more kid friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr.Fallout View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Wolfe is completely forgiven. Eh, I'd think Kanan would have way more hangups about that, but it's rather brushed aside.
    Case in point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

23. - Top - End - #23

Thinking about it, I have a feeling things are going to come to a head between the Inquisitors and Agent Kallus (I still can't believe they named him that) eventually. First the male Inquisitor left him hanging on Seelos by calling away his Star Destroyer (allowing the rebels to escape again), then told him to bugger off when he wanted to follow up in force in the last episode, leading to the rebels escaping... again. We know from season 1 that Kallus disagreed with the Grand Inquisitor's methods ("I believe he's too focused on the Jedi..."), and he's a formidable man himself, so I can't imagine that he'll continue to take their crap forever if they continue to sabotage him and fail themselves.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post

The walkers work.

It's another one of the Stormtroopers are bad shots tropes. Walkers are effective when we actually see them And Stormtroopers win every major engagement they are shown in other than the one that happens in what was supposed to be the finale of the series

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Well, this week's episode was underwhelming even by Disneyfied standards.

Spoiler: Ol' Spinejaw is Back
    Show
    I'll say this for Dave Filoni: he's clever and knows his game. Even though Clone Wars was cancelled when Disney took over, he managed to not only get himself a new series, but free rein to bring in his favorite characters from Clone Wars.

So far this season we've had Ahsoka Tano, Captain Rex, and now a sadly creaky Hondo Ohnaka appear in Rebels…in just the first four episodes. Ahsoka I can live with, but Rex feels completely out of place, and Hondo is a sad shadow of his former rogueish self.

The story itself, if you can call it that, was close to nonsensical, a slapdash comic caper which would have fallen flat if it wasn't such a ridiculous tangle. As always, Ezra can get away with anything--including shirking his responsibilities, taking the shuttle for a joyride, and freelancing a mission that the rest of the crew were working on. But that's okey-dokey, all in a day's well-intentioned goofing off.

Urf.

Spoiler: So Who's Next?
    Show
    I can't help but wonder if Asajj Ventris won't be showing up next, although she doesn't really lend herself to a Disney makeover.

But they put in some concept time developing her for the unfinished sixth season of Clone Wars, and given how Rebels is going, I won't be surprised if she makes some sort of appearance.

Last edited by Palanan; 2015-11-05 at 04:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

Spoiler: So Who's Next?
    Show
    I can't help but wonder if Asajj Ventris won't be showing up next, although she doesn't really lend herself to a Disney makeover.

But they put in some concept time developing her for the unfinished sixth season of Clone Wars, and given how Rebels is going, I won't be surprised if she makes some sort of appearance.

Spoiler: Well, I would be completely surprised
    Show
    Since Ventress is dead, I would be shocked if they decided to bring her back for this show. In one of the story arcs that would have happened if The Clone Wars had continued, Quinlan Vos was assigned to assassinate Dooku, and to get Ventress to help. In the end, Vos had fallen and Ventress sacrificed herself to save him from the dark side.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Thinking about it, I have a feeling things are going to come to a head between the Inquisitors and Agent Kallus (I still can't believe they named him that) eventually. First the male Inquisitor left him hanging on Seelos by calling away his Star Destroyer (allowing the rebels to escape again), then told him to bugger off when he wanted to follow up in force in the last episode, leading to the rebels escaping... again. We know from season 1 that Kallus disagreed with the Grand Inquisitor's methods ("I believe he's too focused on the Jedi..."), and he's a formidable man himself, so I can't imagine that he'll continue to take their crap forever if they continue to sabotage him and fail themselves.
    The problem is that the Inquisitors serve Vader directly. Even if Kallus was somehow able to handle an Inquisitor by himself (and it's not such an unbelievable thing since someone like Pre Viszla was able to hold his own against the likes of Kenobi and Maul and the Inquisitors are nowhere near their level), Vader would just kill him for interfering.

I do think Kallus will be forced to take action, mind, once he realises how expendable he is.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

28. - Top - End - #28

Hi people!

so I finally caved to my own Star Wars cravings, and after completely ignoring Clone Wars, I just went through the entire first season of Rebels.

My my. What a great show. Seriously, it got me hooked, and I watched the first season in barely 18 hours.

Now.. I want to know. Do I really need to watch the Clone War cartoon to understand everything that is going on? I mean.. I have heard (thanks SFDebris) who Ahsoka is, for example, but no idea who the guy from the 501st in the trailer is. Would it be a big deal if I never watched these?

And if I had to watch these.. do you recommend me a starting point? 'cause to be honest, I don't really feel like watching the early seasons, which I heard were a bit... silly and juvenile. Don't get me wrong; these aspects usually don't automatically turn me off. But, for example, in Rebels there is mature storytelling and strong characterisation. Things are not silly just to be silly..

..ya know, like the freakkin' Federation Droids. Always went on my nerves.

29. - Top - End - #29

I never watched The Clone Wars and I'm not lost at all. You don't need to go back if you don't want to.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: A New Dawn novel
    Show
    Order 66 happened when Kanan was still a padawan. His master gave her life to let him escape. The Inquisitorius certainly never had him, or he'd be dead.

In the interim, Kanan spent time on the outer rim being an itinerant pilot and laborer and trying his best to ignore the Force and stay ahead of the Empire. So far as the novels released with him in them so far tell me, Spark of Rebellion was the first time he'd used his lightsaber since the Clone Wars.
    They released a limited comic series about him as a padawan. I have the first 3, but forgot to go back and get the rest. But the spoilers above are close.

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Now.. I want to know. Do I really need to watch the Clone War cartoon to understand everything that is going on? I mean.. I have heard (thanks SFDebris) who Ahsoka is, for example, but no idea who the guy from the 501st in the trailer is. Would it be a big deal if I never watched these?
    Not really, but it does help a bit. It is kind of like not knowing the backstory between Han and Chewie. The relationship works without it, but the backstory enhances and deepens your understanding. Just like this weeks 'guest star'. Knowing the history from The Clone Wars makes him all the funnier.
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2015-11-12 at 09:56 AM.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah