New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Everyone Is John I

EVERYONE IS JOHN 1

(A competitive RPG forr 3+ people)

John is a totally insane and inept man in <location of today's train-wreck>. He is controlled by the voices in his head - one at a time, of course. He is not terribly competent, and so anytime he attempts anything that an ordinary person might have any chance of failure at, he needs to roll for success.

The Narrator is the GM, or 'Everyone Else' in the game lingo, while the other players are Voices in John's head. This game uses six-sided dice for play.

GENERAL RULES
    1. Each player PMs narrator their identity, skills and obsession.
    2. Each voice has 10 willpower and 2 skills. You can have an extra skill at the cost of 3 willpower (i.e. voices with 3 skills have 7 willpower).
    3. It is a No-PM game. If you have to say something to another character, post it in-thread.
    4. Deadline: 48 hours, or when everyone has bid.
    5. To gain control of John, Voices have to bid willpower. The highest bidder gains control of John, and the amount bid is subtracted from the remaining willpower. All others keep their bids.
    6. In the event of a tie, the tied Voices roll off again to see who becomes active.
    7. Bidding is not compulsory, but it is needed if you want to gain control of John.
    8. The Voice who is currently in control of John does the rolling. If that Voice has a skill that covers the challenge, then it needs to roll a 3 or higher on a d6 to succeed. If it doesn't have the skill, it needs to roll a 6.
    9. Before the roll, the voice can spend any number of Willpower points to get a +1 per point spent on the die roll. This can make success automatic.
    10. Whenever John gets hurt or wakes up, or whenever the currently active voice fails a roll or completes its obsession, a bid for control happens (see above).
    11. John is pretty easily distracted. Whenever nothing exciting is happening for ten minutes or more (such as on a bus ride or the like), the GM should roll a die.
    12. On a roll of 4 or higher, John goes to sleep and wakes up whenever (prompting a struggle for control of John). When John naps like this, all of the Voices gain one Willpower.
    13. Whenever John wakes up, the struggle for control of John happens before the GM describes the situation John wakes up into.

*Use the dice-rolling thread which will be created by the game host to make your rolls, follow the instructions found within: Please, put your actions in BOLD. You must use the above code to roll. Static dice tags are not permitted, and cheating will get you mod-killed.*

GAMEPLAY
    • Play begins with John waking up in the morning (and a test for control of him). The GM then describes the circumstances into which he wakes up. With John, you never can tell. He could be in a gutter somewhere, or he could be in a palatial estate, or anywhere in between. The Voices really have no idea how they ended up here.
    • At this point, the Voices should start working on fulfilling their obsessions and avoiding getting John killed. Inevitably, their Willpowers will decrease. Once all of the Voices are out of Willpower, John sinks back into sleep, and the game session is over.
    • At this point, the Voices reveal their obsessions and count up how many times each was filled. Note that it counts for you if someone else is Active and fulfills your obsession.
    • Now, multiply the number of times you fulfilled your obsession by your obsession's rank (1, 2, or 3). That's the number of points you have. Highest number of points wins the game. Usually, the winner gets to GM next. Usually.
    • Everyone may talk in the thread, but only the winner of the bid may make John do things.

Voice Character Sheet:
    Name: The name of your voice. It can be original, or it can be based on someone existing (i.e. either an original character like 'Lexington Purcell', or existing people like Lil' Wayne.)
    Willpower: The pool of points that the Voice can spend to take control of John or improves its chances of success in any given action. It starts off at 10 (or 7, if you want 3 skills).
    Skills: Each voice has 2 or 3 skills. A short description of the skill will suffice.
    Obsession: The winning condition. Obsessions come in 3 levels:
    • Lvl 1: Easy to accomplish (Pigging out on cake)
    • Lvl 2: More difficult (hitting on strangers while crossdressed)
    • Lvl 3: Nearly Impossible (Blowing up buildings)

Harder obsessions count more than easier ones. The player/voice with the most completed obsessions wins.

Example Character Sheet:
    Name: Enid Blyton
    Willpower: 10/10
    Skills: Persuasive, Can pilot a helicopter
    Obsession: Level 2 - Clubbing people to death with thick books.

Players
    Player Name Willpower
    Ramsus Linzy John 7/7
    Elenna Jane 10/10
    Duck999 Gnaw 10/10
    Silent_Interim Dave 10/10
    Indarra Jes 10/10
    Penguinator Lowen Dartmouth 10/10
    Last edited by Cyber Punk; 2015-10-18 at 09:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: Everyone Is John I

I'm in! Haven't thought of a character yet, though.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Samwise Mordred
    Willpower: 10
    Skills: Brawling, Insight
    Obsession: Punching Somebody In The Face (1)

Sam is a pretty simple personality: he's the fight-or-flight instinct personified. Sam picks fights with everybody he can, and is pretty good at sizing people up, whether for a fight or seeing if they're trustworthy. The whole "violence-lover" thing often gets in the way of using this ability in a social setting, though.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Do the skills have to be things normal people can actually do? For example could I pick "Black Magic" or "Necromancy" or "Speaking with Animals"?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to assume the answer is no, at least for this first game. But do tell us if it's otherwise. For now I'll go with....

Edit: Edited away character concept.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2015-10-12 at 12:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

...It says to PM the characters...

I'm in, and will send in my character in a few hours time.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

*sigh* Dangit. I know I read that and then immediately forgot it when I saw AV's post since why would the first person to have a character not get the rules. I really liked that idea too. Guess I'll have to think up something else.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Samwise Mordred
    Willpower: 10
    Skills: Brawling, Insight
    Obsession: Punching Somebody In The Face (1)

Sam is a pretty simple personality: he's the fight-or-flight instinct personified. Sam picks fights with everybody he can, and is pretty good at sizing people up, whether for a fight or seeing if they're trustworthy. The whole "violence-lover" thing often gets in the way of using this ability in a social setting, though.
    Rules say to PM me the details. Having it here will work against you if you plan to win, so...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Oops. Sorry everybody, got too excited.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Ok PMed character idea #2. I'll miss you character idea #1!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Do the skills have to be things normal people can actually do? For example could I pick "Black Magic" or "Necromancy" or "Speaking with Animals"?
    Just seeing this, sorry.

No, not to my knowledge. Not in this game, at least. From what I've seen, there are usually no supernatural elements.

*Usually*.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Oops. Sorry everybody, got too excited.
    Correction, while you're to PM me the details so we can talk about it and stuff, the only thing that won't be revealed to others at the start are your obsessions.

Also, examples of skills and obsessions I saw in a Reddit thread.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

PMd my character details.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I was under the impression the dice thing didn't work in this part of the forum? Actually, I think I'll test that now:

[dice]1d6[/dice]

And

[dice]1d6+7[/dice]

EDIT: So, that didn't work.
    Last edited by Elenna; 2015-10-12 at 03:47 PM.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

It's [roll]

[roll]1d6[/roll]

Edit: .... and I guess it actually doesn't work in this part of the forum. That's weird. Why doesn't it?

Edit 2: It's probably going to be an easier solution to move the thread into the roleplaying section* where we know dice rolls actually work than to get the mods to make dice rolls work here. I am still curious why they don't though. There's lots of things you could do with games in this section with dice rolls.

*Once recruiting is finished.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2015-10-12 at 03:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Hmm. I think I agree with Ramsus on this.
    Quick rules clarification- each voice has just the one obsession, yeah? And the GM determines the level of it?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

This is really exciting-seeming. I'm going to try this. Just give me a moment to PM in.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll join. Voice sheet coming soon to a narrator near you.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

First off, this might suffice: LINK

Secondly, yes, each has one obsession, and you decide the level using the guidelines.
    Lvl 1: Simple, one-step things e.g. pigging out on candy etc.
    Lvl 2: Slightly more complicated or dangerous tasks that require planning, things like collecting and throwing baseballs, running a mile in a new/stolen pair of shoes etc.
    Lvl 3: This is reserved for horribly diabolical/disgusting actions like terrorist bombings, organ harvesting etc.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Rank 3 stuff has to be horrible? It can't just be really difficult to pull off? Like say.... being elected President?

Edit: From what I can see for that thing you linked FE there's no way to show other people your rolls. At that point you're just asking us to use the honor system. Which I mean is fine with me but generally people aren't super comfortable with that. *shrug*
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2015-10-12 at 07:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'd like to sign up, but I think you've already got enough folks.

Next game, perhaps.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe we'll use the RP section, then, for the rolls. I'm not really comfortable with that, but if we can do that, then cool.

Can we?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

There's no reason we can't. It's as much an RP game as it is anything else. Just send Haruki-kun a PM asking to move it. While you're at it ask him why the roll function doesn't work in this part of the forum.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2015-10-13 at 12:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

[roll]1d6[/roll]

Does it work now?

- - - Updated - - -

It does not.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

The game can begin! We have six players. Remember your characters, everyone! From now on, PM silence until game ends.

Players
    Player Name Willpower
    Ramsus Linzy John 7/7
    Elenna Jane 10/10
    Duck999 Gnaw 10/10
    Silent_Interim Dave 10/10
    Indarra Jes 10/10
    Penguinator Lowen Dartmouth 10/10

I'll add this next part to the rules. The dice-rolling thread is over here.
    You roll using [roll]#d#[/roll] or [roll]#d#+#[/roll] (where # is an integer), and it'll supply your result. You post that result here, and I'll verify from the link.
    Last edited by Cyber Punk; 2015-10-17 at 09:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Don't the parts where we bid for control or such require us to PM you though?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

No, they're done in-thread, from what I've seen.

I'll start.
    --------

John awakes in a graveyard, surrounded by two friends and people he's never seen until today. Specifically, he awakes in a coffin and gets up just as he was getting buried. A particularly loud woman is wailing, while staring at him like she's seen a ghost. He vaguely remembers her as his mother. The one that never loved him. All of these don't surprise him more than the fact that Grey DeLisle appears to be there, as well. At least, he thinks she's Grey DeLisle.

Everyone is dressed in expensive mourning wear and jewelery. He realizes that he's been buried with his phone, a combat knife and the head of a rubber chicken pulley.

25. - Top - End - #25

Dave looks on in interest. Hey, guys, we're waking up! Hey, is that Grey DeLisle? I wonder what her blood tastes like. Well, come on, things to do, places to be. If you could all just concede control to me, that would be dandy.

(Bidding is public, yeah? And we can only make one bid apiece? And it's just based on how much willpower we bid, not any dice rolling?)
    Last edited by Silent_Interim; 2015-10-18 at 01:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

((Oh we can actually talk to each other in character? That makes this a lot more interesting.))

Linzy asks, "What places and how are we getting there? Think we could take the hearse?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lowen made an effort for John to pat his pockets. "I wonder how we came by the rubber chicken head..."

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Gnaw is disgusted.
    Ech. Chicken. Why would we have a rubber chicken head?
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, bidding is public. Maximum bid = present willpower. The winner of the bid has that much willpower subtracted from them, while the losers have their bids returned back.

1. Each player PMs narrator their identity, skills and obsession.
    2. Each voice has 10 willpower and 2 skills. You can have an extra skill at the cost of 3 willpower (i.e. voices with 3 skills have 7 willpower).
    3. It is a No-PM game. If you have to say something to another character, post it in-thread.
    4. Deadline: 48 hours, or when everyone has bid.
    5. To gain control of John, Voices have to bid willpower. The highest bidder gains control of John, and the amount bid is subtracted from the remaining willpower. All others keep their bids.
    6. In the event of a tie, the tied Voices roll off again to see who becomes active.
    7. Bidding is not compulsory, but it is needed if you want to gain control of John.

1. The Voice who is currently in control of John does the rolling. If that Voice has a skill that covers the challenge, then it needs to roll a 3 or higher on a d6 to succeed. If it doesn't have the skill, it needs to roll a 6.
    2. Before the roll, the voice can spend any number of Willpower points to get a +1 per point spent on the die roll. This can make success automatic.
    3. Whenever John gets hurt or wakes up, or whenever the currently active voice fails a roll or completes its obsession, a bid for control happens (see above).
    4. John is pretty easily distracted. Whenever nothing exciting is happening for ten minutes or more (such as on a bus ride or the like), the GM should roll a die.
    5. On a roll of 4 or higher, John goes to sleep and wakes up whenever (prompting a struggle for control of John). When John naps like this, all of the Voices gain one Willpower.
    6. Whenever John wakes up, the struggle for control of John happens before the GM describes the situation John wakes up into.
    Game ends if John dies or when everyone has 0 willpower.

30. - Top - End - #30

Bah, that's nothing. Remember the time we woke up in the middle of a stage performance of Mac... the Scottish play as the eponymous character? Good times, good times... Especially since Delilah knew the part. Ah, Delilah was one of the sweetest tastes that I have ever known....

(Okay, thanks for the rules clarification. It's not worded perfectly to describe how bidding works. Bidding 1 Willpower right now.)