New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Jacob's Crossing Ch.1

Aidan looks around, unsure of himself. Devron, I'm not sure if I recognize where exactly we are, do you remember how to get there?
    Official House Bard of House Kato

Valierion Kels

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AngelAndrius View Post
    Survival Checks DC 15 to be made every 24 hrs.
    To keep from getting lost
    Also to get along in the wild, feed and water yourself (normally DC 10, but this is a special forest, also for every 4 points you succeed, you may provide food and water for another)
    Failure by five or more deals 1 pt of nonlethal damage, a crit fail will earn you 1d4. This is from briars and falls and whatnot.

Devron
    1d20+2=4 The Forest deals 1 point of nonlethal damage to you (An hour of rest will recover your HP so long as you make the DC tomorrow.)

Nash
    1d20+5=19 You know exactly where you are in relation to the village. But having never been to the ruins, you can only speculate as to their location. You may provide food for one of your allies today.

Aidan
    1d20=4 The forest deals 1 pt of nonlethal damage to you. Same parameters as Devron

Oh and to be nice. I will let you all have brought rations for one day.

lmao. now that is funny
    Last edited by Nooblar; 2007-06-02 at 11:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfalle View Post
    Aidan looks around, unsure of himself. Devron, I'm not sure if I recognize where exactly we are, do you remember how to get there?
    I know basically where we are but I don't know where the ruins are. You Devron? Nash turns to his friends as he divides the rations they have. We should get those injuries looked at.
    Last edited by Zanatos777; 2007-06-03 at 12:59 PM.
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."
    I really haven't. The players quickly move to the tavern after the campaign starts but they never start there. Even the three which have taken place in a city.

4. - Top - End - #64

Liar! The Killian/Bloodbane/Andrius campaign started in a tavern!

Valierion Kels

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

No, it started in the town square. Killian promptly moved us to the local tavern however.
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."
    I really haven't. The players quickly move to the tavern after the campaign starts but they never start there. Even the three which have taken place in a city.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

So you guys are just kinda diddly daddling around here.

Y'know character conversations and all that???? I really wasn't expecting to have to post for a couple days, but if you guys sit there twidling your thumbs, then I will later today. If you guys just want me to tell a story to you then fine let me know

p.s. In a bad mood from the drugs/surgery.
    In the last dark hour
    Of the night,
    Angels come to love us
    And awaken us.

- Sri Chinmoy

No. 24627 from "Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 25".

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nash decides to tend to his friends' injuries while they are deciding what to do.

8. - Top - End - #68

Kinda hard to have a conversation when the person you address won't reply, but I wasn't really expecting Mat to reply due to it being exam week for him and all.

I'm sure things will pick up soon.

Valierion Kels

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Its my exam week too...

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

Devron glances around looking for any landmarks he recognizes. Not seeing anything he reluctantly replies I uh, I'm not sure exactly where we are. I must have lost the trail when i stumbled over that damned root. I guess we could head back and retrace our steps, but i remember some things along the way. There is a stream and West of the stream is a burned out section of woods from an old wildfire that havn't grown back yet. The ruins are northeast of there. Do either of you guys recognize those landmarks? Devron then looks at friends hopefully.

11. - Top - End - #71

Aidan looks at Devron and Nash uncertainly, Yeah, that sounds about right. Well, let's just head out and see what we find, Nash, you know where we are anyway right? But let me find a stick or something if we're going to be heading into the deep woods, never know when I'll need. Aidan starts looking around for a quarterstaff sized stick/branch.

Valierion Kels

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nash's Heal Check (I guess? unless you're planning on providing long-term care, there's really no way to do this rule-wise. So, I'll set the DC fairly high, 20)

1d20+4=12

Sorry no go, Nash manages to stabalize Aidan's foot with a wrap and rub some soothing poultice on Devron's side, easing the pain.

Aidan's Search Check to find a suitable Quaterstaff DC 12

1d20+2=6

Aidan finds what he believes to be a stable, functional quarterstaff, but one good whack against a tree splinters the branch, exposing its rotting interior. He looks around for any others, but doesn't see any in the immediate area.

Aidan's Search Check for live wood DC 10 (easier to see straight branches in the air)

1d20+2=20

Aidan sees he might be able to climb a nearby birch tree and cut a branch, it would be difficult though.
    In the last dark hour
    Of the night,
    Angels come to love us
    And awaken us.

- Sri Chinmoy

13. - Top - End - #73

Damned rotten wood! Does either of you have a dagger or a knife, or something? I think I could get that branch up there if I have something to cut it down with. Aidan says while pointing at the tree branch.
    Last edited by Darkfalle; 2007-06-05 at 08:01 PM.

Valierion Kels

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Devron gives Aidan an annoyed look. Reluctantly he pulls out his "magical" dagger and stares at it lovingly for a moment. He then turns to hand it to Aidan. Here try this, just make sure to take care of it!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

OK Wood has a hardness of 5. That means that whatever damage is dealt to it, you subtract 5 from each source. Using a rusty dagger (1d4-1) means that you will have to crit at least twenty times and roll max damage with Aidan's strength to get through the 20 HP of the two inches of wood (aprox 10 HP per inch).

Well, first things first

Aidan's Climb Check DC 12 (usually 15 but hey, lotta underbrush and some thick vines, and you're lighter than a normal person, makes things easier)

1d20+0=13

Aidan successfully climbs the birch, getting a good 10 to 15 feet off the ground, he stands on a thicker branch below his target and pulls out the rusty knife and begins to try to wedge it in there, hoping to get some anchorage.

Your next 10 attacks, representing one minute

1d20+0=16, 1d20+0=1, 1d20+0=15, 1d20+0=11, 1d20+0=14, 1d20+0=14, 1d20+0=16, 1d20+0=19, 1d20+0=4, 1d20+0=19

The next minute

1d20+0=1, 1d20+0=19, 1d20+0=6, 1d20+0=4, 1d20+0=14, 1d20+0=9, 1d20+0=20, 1d20+0=3, 1d20+0=16, 1d20+0=18

Damage from your first crit

2d4-2=3

You get the idea.

After a couple of minutes working hard against the wood, all Aidan has managed to really acomplish is to shave some bark off the branch. While taking a moment to wipe the sweat beading on his brow Aidan notices something strange about the dagger. He...can't...quite make it out, but having rubbed some of the rust away, it looks like...like there's some script in the Old Tongue etched in along the dull blade...
    Last edited by AngelAndrius; 2007-06-06 at 02:20 AM.
    In the last dark hour
    Of the night,
    Angels come to love us
    And awaken us.

- Sri Chinmoy

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

We are the worst party ever. List of our horrendousness:

Can't bluff an innocent druid.
    Can't bluff/intimidate a 7 year old girl.
    Get lost in woods we have lived in our whole lives.
    Can't find a decent quarterstaff sized stick even though we have been going out in the woods our whole lives.
    Cant cut through a piece of 2 inch wood with a knife.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Nooblar View Post
    We are the worst party ever. List of our horrendousness:

Can't bluff an innocent druid.
    Can't bluff/intimidate a 7 year old girl.
    Get lost in woods we have lived in our whole lives.
    Can't find a decent quarterstaff sized stick even though we have been going out in the woods our whole lives.
    Cant cut through a piece of 2 inch wood with a knife.
    Now, now I have an idea of where we are but since Nash has apparently never been to the ruins he doesn't know the way. The 7 year old girl was very lucky. As for the wood, umm yay we suck. But hey more behind the magical dagger theory. Hey lets try something.

When Aidan gets back down Nash casts detect magic on the dagger seeing under the rust.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

OK, just a few little reminders.

1) NO you have not been going into these woods your entire lives. No one goes into these woods regularily. You've maybe had long excursions once or twice into the Northern Forest. Any herb gathering/exploring, you've mostly stuck to the tree line.

2)It's a friggin branch. OK let's try this next time I see you. I'll give you a rusty, dull, centuries old 6 inch knife and let you try to cut a branch off a tree, we'll see how well you handle that.

3) Nash, how in the hell do you suppose you even know there are markings on the knife at all? I said Aidan sees them. Unless you want to make a spot check at - a lot, I'm ignoring your last post. In fact, here's your spot check now

DC 22 (20 base for being half exposed etchings, -2 for 10 feet away)

1d20+5=17

Well no go.

Oh and, yes, beware little girls, they will always pwonxxor you
    Last edited by AngelAndrius; 2007-06-06 at 04:29 PM.
    In the last dark hour
    Of the night,
    Angels come to love us
    And awaken us.

- Sri Chinmoy

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Dude we were joking. Also I can understand you ignoring my post. I will cast detect magic on it sooner or later though if for no other reason than Nash likes to use magic.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

Devron stares up at Aidan in annoyance. He calls up Oy! How long does it take to chop off a branch? We need to get moving if we are going to make it to the ruins by nightfall!

Also Devron asked both other charcters if they recognized those landmarks... neither one of you responded and idk if Andrius is going to do a knowledge check with that or what.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Nooblar View Post
    Devron stares up at Aidan in annoyance. He calls up Oy! How long does it take to chop off a branch? We need to get moving if we are going to make it to the ruins by nightfall!

Also Devron asked both other charcters if they recognized those landmarks... neither one of you responded and idk if Andrius is going to do a knowledge check with that or what.
    Hahaha, I don't think he can cut it down Dev. That knife was very rusty why do you even have it? Nash finds amusing Aidan's attempt to cut the branch.

Andrius, please make a knowledge nature check for me to recognize any landmarks or a survival check since I think that is the appropriate one.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nah, Knowledge Nature makes more sense. Survival is to keep from getting lost. You're not lost, you just have no idea where you're going.

Nash's Knowledge Nature Check (DC 15, 20 for awesomeness)

1d20+5=18

Nash, while looking on, comes to the realization that the only possible Burn Devron could be talking about would be the one two years ago, when the drought first began. Then the fire was massive and angry, it was the Goddess' own luck that brought rain to control it finally. Looking around, you come to the grim realization that the whole Forest is ready to go up like a match, much worse than two years ago.

The old burn is big though, it stretches over a hundred miles.

A creek? Heck there are dozens of creeks... uhhh there were dozens. Who knows how many have survived the drought? You may be trying to find a dry creekbed.
    In the last dark hour
    Of the night,
    Angels come to love us
    And awaken us.

- Sri Chinmoy

23. - Top - End - #83

It's Dev's knife not mine Nash! This thing is rusty as all hell, I don't think it could cut through a piece of string, much less this stupid branch. Aidan sighs and starts to climb back down. Let's get moving, maybe I'll find something deeper in the woods.

Valierion Kels

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfalle View Post
    It's Dev's knife not mine Nash! This thing is rusty as all hell, I don't think it could cut through a piece of string, much less this stupid branch. Aidan sighs and starts to climb back down. Let's get moving, maybe I'll find something deeper in the woods.
    Yeah, I know that. I meant Dev why did you have it? Nash looks at Devron for an answer with a smile on his face. He then says Anyway I think we should be able to find the ruins if we work together, I think I have a decent idea of how to get there. Nash then picks up Sunny and being to carry him.

I don't see how info about creeks is helpful to finding the ruins unless I missed that they are near a creek/river.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

In reply to his friends teasing Devron snaps Well fine if you think it is uselss give it back to me. He takes a moment to glare at both Nash and Aidan respectively. And Nash is right, I'm sure if we work together we can make our way there.

26. - Top - End - #86

Aidan's grin falters. Alright, Dev, I'm sorry. Anyway maybe it isn't so useless after all... but that can wait till we get to the ruins. Always better to reveal something in a more dramatic locale. Aidan grins, attempting to put on a mysterious showman type of demeanor.

Valierion Kels

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

OK

Well I'll wait till Aidan cares about the etchings to describe them. No worries, there's not a rush. Umm Zanatos, welp, you know what direction the burn is in and that they also used a creek a focal point, try to use what God gave you between the ears
    In the last dark hour
    Of the night,
    Angels come to love us
    And awaken us.

- Sri Chinmoy

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

Devron replies Well whatever, just hand it over. He holds out his hand for the dagger.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nash looks at the others Well lets be off guys. Nash then proceeds to head towards the burned area he knows of.

My understanding is that is the direction to the ruins if not please tell me so I can correct this Andrius.

30. - Top - End - #90

Aidan hands Devron the knife while looking over at Nash. Alright, we'll go your way, you know these woods better then us. Aidan says gesturing to himself and Devron.

Valierion Kels