New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Overwatch: HYPETRAIN HAS LEFT THE STATION Spring 2016 Release Confirmed!

Opposite, actually; It was originally 170, and Mercy RMB did a 50% dmg boost. Widow got nerfed to 150 and Mercy to 30%.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Overwatch: HYPETRAIN HAS LEFT THE STATION Spring 2016 Release Confirmed!

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Pretty much you do, yeah. Bodyshots with her rifle, even at 100% power (she has aim without firing for 1 second to let it power up) only do 150 damage. That's enough to kill Tracer or a Level 1 Turret from Torbjorn, but nothing else - not even squishies like Lucio or Zenyatta. Also, once you fire, the direction you fired from is plainly visible and so they're likely to take cover and prevent you from following up.

If you're not great at headshots with her, I'd recommend Pharah instead - a direct hit from her rocket is comparable to a bodyshot from Widow, but "missing" still helps your team a lot from the splash. They can also get to most of the same vantage points, so playing on Pharah can still help you learn the maps for a Widow playthrough later.
    The fact that a bodyshot isn't a 1HK against most targets is usually not that much of a problem, as you can follow up your initial full powered strike with 2-3 more rapid uncharged shots to finish off practically anything that isn't a tank.

Headshots are the desirable outcome, but if you see the situation does not allow them, bodyshots are still useful with semi-auto shooting.

And landing 3 bodyshots with widow is generally easier than a single pharah rocket. the difference in shooting rate and projectile speed is very noticeable. and her splash is virtually non-existent, as the damage spreads very thin very quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    The fact that a bodyshot isn't a 1HK against most targets is usually not that much of a problem, as you can follow up your initial full powered strike with 2-3 more rapid uncharged shots to finish off practically anything that isn't a tank.
    This assumes your target is out in the open and isn't being healed though. Often, that one hit is all you'll get unnoticed, and gormlessly standing there to try for the triple-tap is a great way to wind up getting your spawn room cardio in A bodyshot on, say, Reaper, Genji, 76 or Lucio probably isn't going to get the job done.

Now, I'm not saying she's impossible to play if you're bad at landing headshots, but it's a skill that should be honed with her - and for those who don't feel they can, there are other heroes to select, is all I'm saying. (I personally don't see myself being a Widow pro either.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #305

I want to get on the Battletag train!

Rosstin#1609

Do we have a voicechat channel on Discord or something? Also, I'm curious how PS4 versus PC will work (I have both). I know we can't crossplay, but I'm curious if PS4 links friends through battletags or PS4-friends.
    Check out our O'Reilly Book, "Creating Augmented and Virtual Realities: Theory and Practice for Next-Generation Spatial Computing"
    I contributed Chapter 13: "Virtual Reality Enterprise Training Use Cases"

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rosstin View Post
    I want to get on the Battletag train!

Rosstin#1609

Do we have a voicechat channel on Discord or something? Also, I'm curious how PS4 versus PC will work (I have both). I know we can't crossplay, but I'm curious if PS4 links friends through battletags or PS4-friends.
    A decent chunk of us use the mumble from the league thread.

(From said thread)
    MUMBLE
    Download here!
    Our main means of communication is a Mumble server, playing host to a variety of games, including LoL. We're quite a tight knit community, get to know us! Hanging about is a good way to find a game, and if you don't fancy playing something there's always a good chance of a friendly chat. Contact Djinn_in_Tonic via PM if you have a question or want to donate money to keep the server running.
    Address: fish.mumbleboxes.com
    Port: 36003

7. - Top - End - #307

Quote Originally Posted by Legoshrimp View Post
    A decent chunk of us use the mumble from the league thread.

(From said thread)
    MUMBLE
    Download here!
    Our main means of communication is a Mumble server, playing host to a variety of games, including LoL. We're quite a tight knit community, get to know us! Hanging about is a good way to find a game, and if you don't fancy playing something there's always a good chance of a friendly chat. Contact Djinn_in_Tonic via PM if you have a question or want to donate money to keep the server running.
    Address: fish.mumbleboxes.com
    Port: 36003
    Awesome, thanks ^^
    Check out our O'Reilly Book, "Creating Augmented and Virtual Realities: Theory and Practice for Next-Generation Spatial Computing"
    I contributed Chapter 13: "Virtual Reality Enterprise Training Use Cases"

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

I'm Daedalus#1347 on the NA servers, and I'll definitely be interested in playing some slightly more organized games with anyone who's interested once the game launches in a couple of hours. I didn't get to play too much of the beta, only four hours or so, but I'm generally pretty decent at FPS games so I shouldn't be holding any potential teammates back too much.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Firedaemon#1486 here, not going to be at it right away, but I'm definitely around.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

NeoVid#1862 here. I'll be playing as soon as it goes live (one hour to go, cmon).
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

11. - Top - End - #311
    Spamalot in the Playground

So I was rewatching the other shorts and I noticed this gem from Winston's:

Spoiler
    Show

I'm pretty sure the far left guy is one of Reaper's alternate skins - so was he in Overwatch before... whatever happened to him? If he had no powers then, how'd he get in? Why's he assassinating agents now?

But mostly I was curious - who's the lady on the far right? I don't think it's Widowmaker, IIRC she was never in Overwatch.

And then later, after he beats Reaper, his recall database contains an awful lot of agents we don't see in-game - is there any speculation on who they might be?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dwarf in the Playground

Adaon#2254, and i hope to be in the game in about 43 hours.

That new Animated Short, Hero, made me actually cry a bit. I hope Soldier 76 will someday feel that he has redeemed himself.
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I'm pretty sure the far left guy is one of Reaper's alternate skins - so was he in Overwatch before... whatever happened to him? If he had no powers then, how'd he get in? Why's he assassinating agents now?

But mostly I was curious - who's the lady on the far right? I don't think it's Widowmaker, IIRC she was never in Overwatch.

And then later, after he beats Reaper, his recall database contains an awful lot of agents we don't see in-game - is there any speculation on who they might be?
    Most people in Overwatch don't really have superpowers. They have skills and technology. Either way, that is Gabriel Reyes/Reaper. He gets his powers sometime just before Overwatch collapses and that picture is from significantly before.

The woman talking with Mccree is (presumed due to similarities in appearance, not outright stated) Pharah's mother, I forgot her name.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I already heard an answer for how Junkrat and Roadhog communicate. When I was leaving the spawn along with an allied Hog, this conversation happened on the way:

"You will not believe the joke the big guy told me about this place! Let's hear it again!"
    "Hrrm."

Anyway, small complaint after just a couple of rounds: My two hopes for improvements when the game went live were better Plays of the Game, and eliminating duplicates in loot boxes. My second loot box had a duplicate item.

It wasn't a duplicate of an item I got from my first box, I got two copies of the same rare drop from one box.

:(
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

We've know Reaper (previously Gabriel Reyes) was part of Overwatch for a while now. In fact, he was in charge of it to begin with, though eventually he gave up the position to John Morrison (now Soldier: 76) and was in charge of a division called Blackwatch. He was already a bit of an antihero even then, being focused on getting the job done no matter the cost. Exactly what happened to cause him to go fully over the edge after Overwatch fell we don't know yet. Could be a lot of things.

The lady on the far right is Ana Amari, one of Overwatch's founding members and mother of Fareeha Amarai (aka Pharah). Presumably she died at some point, or at least stopped being active, but we don't know a lot about her. There's some speculation that she might be the mysterious Sombra, having gone underground and taken an alias, much like Jack and Reyes.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

16. - Top - End - #316

Planetar

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Snidely, when did you bleach your facial hair?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

18. - Top - End - #318
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show

To be honest, I get the impression that Blizzard is still nailing down the lore a bit. There's bound to be a few weird things and contradictions here and there (even if this instance doesn't technically fit that description).

I haven't bought the game yet. I plan to, but I'm just not in the mood to play it today, and I'm going out of town soon so I may not pick it up until next week.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Man, The Car Wash is just a satisfying achievement to get.

As Symmetra, hit the enemy with 7 beams at once.

Yeah, buddy, you picked the *wrong* doorway in Hanamura to walk through. I almost feel bad for ya.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

I love playing Symmetra, but I wish the killcams were a little smarter. I've got a few Play Of The Game's with her, and all have been me respawning while, unseen on the other side of the map, my turrets fry whoever got me.

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    We've know Reaper (previously Gabriel Reyes) was part of Overwatch for a while now. In fact, he was in charge of it to begin with, though eventually he gave up the position to John Morrison (now Soldier: 76) and was in charge of a division called Blackwatch. He was already a bit of an antihero even then, being focused on getting the job done no matter the cost. Exactly what happened to cause him to go fully over the edge after Overwatch fell we don't know yet. Could be a lot of things.

The lady on the far right is Ana Amari, one of Overwatch's founding members and mother of Fareeha Amarai (aka Pharah). Presumably she died at some point, or at least stopped being active, but we don't know a lot about her. There's some speculation that she might be the mysterious Sombra, having gone underground and taken an alias, much like Jack and Reyes.
    It is also known/speculated that Mercy has something to do with what Reaper is now (Meaning his shadow powers and life draining etc) based on their ingame interaction:

When Reaper kills Mercy: "Remember, you're responsible for this!"

Mercy: "What happened to you?!" Reaper: "You tell me, Doc."

Mercy: "This is not what I intended for you, Reyes." Reaper: "You knew exactly what you were doing."

When enemy Mercy ressurects someone Reaper says "You can't be serious."

So Mercy probably tried to ressurect Reyes but something went wrong. Or something.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    Maybe I'm just not a comic guy, but the comics seem to be pretty...well, terrible, to be frank. It seems like it's only getting worse as it goes on. There's a lot of text and exposition crammed into a very small space. It's not quite as bad as talking heads, fortunately, but that's about all it has going for it. It's especially disappointing given the quality of the animations and in-game storytelling we've seen so far, which has been phenomenal.

Hopefully they find someone better to write these in the future, or at least get a better editor who can force them to show, not tell. I really want to see more of the Overwatch cast and world, but this is just unbearable.

And for all the talking, we learned...well nothing, really. Torbjorn is a good guy. He's smart. He builds things. Once he worked with another guy who builds things, who went evil and now he's defeated so it doesn't matter anymore. Some country was doing bad stuff, but now it isn't because a giant robot leveled their army (and a city) so that doesn't matter either. We know that there are giant robots that the omnics used...once again we knew that already. Hell Russia is apparently pumping out dozens, possibly hundreds of giant mechs up in Siberia anyways, so I don't know what the point of this guy's rampage even was.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2016-05-24 at 05:30 AM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delusion View Post
    It is also known/speculated that Mercy has something to do with what Reaper is now (Meaning his shadow powers and life draining etc) based on their ingame interaction:

When Reaper kills Mercy: "Remember, you're responsible for this!"

Mercy: "What happened to you?!" Reaper: "You tell me, Doc."

Mercy: "This is not what I intended for you, Reyes." Reaper: "You knew exactly what you were doing."

When enemy Mercy ressurects someone Reaper says "You can't be serious."

So Mercy probably tried to ressurect Reyes but something went wrong. Or something.

Would explain quite a bit actually. totally plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

24. - Top - End - #324

Devil

A little lore theory.

So Mercy is supposed to be a founding member of overwatch, along with Gabriel Reyes, Jack Morison, Torbjorn, Reinhardt and Pharaoh's mom, but her age is only 37, and she's very obviously much younger than the others. At first I just thought this was plot hole or oversight during production but I don't think so anymore.

A few days ago I was watching a videos detailing in match dialogue between character and Me I and Mercy had a couple interesting ones. For those that don't know mei's story is that back in the height of overwatch she was a field climatologist for overwatch, researching climate change in the Antarctic (I think), her research lab suffered a catastrophic breakdown that cut them off from the outside world and Me I as well as the rest of the staff had to resort to being cryofreezed. Mei was frozen for decades before being found and thawed out.

Anyway Mercy asks Mei how she hasn't seemed to age a day since they last met, and mei tells her what happened. When Mei asked mercy the same thing, Mercy changes the subject.

Mercy can also run into a Reaper and ask him what's happened to him, to which he replies "you tell me." Which could easily just be him saying "your a doctor, figure it out yourself." But it could imply that he thinks she should know something about his condition (rapid simultaneous degenerating and regenerating cells).

And lastly one of mercy's emotes has her check her own pulse, shake her head "no" and shrug.

I think Dr. Angela Zeigler died a long time ago, and is being kept "alive" by the technology that let's her seemingly raise the dead.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

AFAIK, Mercy isn't one of the founding members of Overwatch. That belongs to Rein, Torb (I think), Ana, Morrison, and Reyes.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

woo, got reaper's plague doctor skin from a loot crate!

Probably need to learn to play Reaper now

27. - Top - End - #327

Played bit over 6 hours today. About 5 of them on Mercy. I don't remember healing being this fun in any game pretty much ever.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

I might actually be interested in this.
    Coming in sideways though; I usually hate multiplayer (but liked Quake 3, but that was a while ago). It's Blizzard, so it will be polished enough to outshine the sun which is a plus of course.

I got caught up in the hype because well... I have quite the crush on Tracer, but who doesn't?
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

29. - Top - End - #329
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    I don't understand why Symmetra is classed as support and not defence. She's really not any kind of healer, she's a builder like Torbjorn.
    I'm going to say that while the turrets are mostly defense, and the shields a weak defense, the teleporters are what make her a support class. Teleports mean that your team gets to shave 5-10 seconds getting to and from the battlefield, which means there's constant pressure on the enemy team.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Elitist PC gamer snob here. Hey, console guys, I respect your life choices, but you are paying more money for less performance. Just sayin'.
    And hurting the industry as a whole, but yes. Graphics and money are the main reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Does Roadhog talk in-game? I just read 'Going Legit', and his only dialogue appears to be ellipses (though Junkrat can apparently understand him perfectly).
    Yes, he does! He has a few voice lines, mostly during the setup phase. Think my favorite is "I'm a one-man apocalypse."

So, I actually missed the open beta, so my first experience with Overwatch was yesterday.

Impressions so far are that it's good. I really appreciate the rock-paper-scissors element of the game, how each hero has soft- and hard-counters built in, like how Pharah is a good all-purpose class, but will get her teeth kicked in by a good 76 or Widowmaker. Junkrat is good for taking out an entrenched Bastion or clearing a point, but will get absolutely destroyed by heroes like Tracer that can bypass his traps. Roadhog is good at 1v1, with enough burst damage to take out most everyone but another tank.

Here's my thoughts on the heroes I've played so far:

Roadhog: Oh my gosh, I love this guy already. Everything about him is fun, whether it's sneaking around in the backlines and popping someone in the back of the head with both barrels, landing a solid hook, or just shotgunning someone up into a corner with his ult. Definitely my favorite of the tanks, even if he's not the post effective.

Reinhardt: An effective tank, but not my favorite hero, mostly because I don't find it entertaining to stand in front of a Bastion or Torbjorn like a wall. Plus, the lack of ranged attacks really crimps my style.

Tracer: From what the internet tells me, y'all are thirsty for this girl. And it's understandable: She's a boatload of fun to play! I mean, it's super fun to weave in and out of combat, confusing people by withdrawing only to pop back up with full health. Plus, I mean, sneaking up behind someone and planting an ult on them.

Pharah: Mr. Jane Doe, what are you doing here? Regardless, I'm glad. Pharah gives me all the fun of rocket jumping and raining down death on my enemies. Plus, it allows me access to more flank routes than I'm used to.

McCree: Simple and straightforward. Throw flashbomb, empty revolver into face, win. The only problem I have is that I tend to just mash right click when I'm in a tight spot, when I should be trying to actually aim my shots. I guess it's just too easy to empty the six chambers, roll, and do it again.

Soldier: 76: You know, 76 is easy to play. Simple even. And that's kind of why I don't like him. He gets the job done, with good abilities for everyone. It's just that he's... well, boring. Point and shoot. Woo. Sprinting means you can get to the battlefield sooner, but he's got very few flanking abilities.

Bastion: The world's first salt-powered robot. I tend to play him sorta like I do a Scout or Spy in TF2: find an odd spot where people don't expect you to be, get a few kills, and move on to the next odd spot.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

30. - Top - End - #330

My view of tracer is bit skewed by the fact that, as I main Mercy and my friends rarely play tracer, about 80% of the time when I see her in game I am screaming into the mic for my friends to get that thing off me.