New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Absence of Empathy IC

Ulf

Ulf carries on along the shaft as before.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Banned

Chaim

"Come along old son and lets see what she has in mind." Chaim knickers back and the both of them plod along behind.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

Above

Ferah leads the way up toward The Rise, the fortress and seat of civic government which sits at the summit of the slope upon which Drim is built, and whose reinforced walls span the narrow pass through the mountains. She deftly avoids the traffic which congests the main road, so your progress is swift despite the meandering course you follow through side streets and alleyways.

She gestures toward the building on your right, seemingly grown from the black stone on which the city is built. "Here we are. They should have answers for us."

You've approached the building from the backside and do not recognize it at first. As you round the corner into another alleyway, a wall of sound hits you and you recognize the distinct atmosphere of the approach to the plaza that sits before The Rise.

"I'm guessing that Maintenance and Engineering would know if somebody's been sent after the others. Aren't they the ones that take care of mining collapses?"

She takes you through the building's front door--leaving Long John outside--and approaches the desk where sits a frazzled-looking functionary.

"Yes? What is it? That I can help you with, I mean."

"We need to know-- she begins, then breaks off. "Here."

She snatches up a quill and a scrap of parchment off the woman's desk. Before the receptionist can form a protest, Ferah has scribbled a note and is handing it back to the woman. "Deliver that to your boss. We'll be here waiting."

The woman harrumphs and makes a frustrated retort about not being a messenger. With the suggestion of a sneer, she unfolds the note and reads it. You can read surprise on her face; then she turns and trots off.

Ferah seems unconcerned, having ignored the receptionist ever since handing over the note. "Now we'll see if we can get some answers," she remarks as she tugs at a strand of her black hair and picks out a lump of tacky mud.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Chaim has nothing to offer at this point, I'll follow this post with another one tomorrow.
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arfondt

Being of the curious kind, Arfondt shuffles forward just into the shaft. He turns around to the ones still standing outside: "I'll try to keep contact to the three. Before you lose sight of me, send in another man after me so we can keep the group together."
    With that he follows Sir Kylen at about half his pace, looking forward and backwards to make sure he can see both parts of the group.
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2007-07-27 at 04:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Just into the shaft, Kylen stops, then withdraws from the passage, holding in his hand some sort of belt buckle.

"That's odd...this was hidden there."

6. - Top - End - #216

Two-Part Post (TPP)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I will begin using the abbreviation "TPP" to indicate that a single post addresses both groups. Hopefully, this notation will make it easier to find the posts that apply to you while the party is still separated.

Below

The buckle is still attacked to a half-chewed leather belt. As Kylen pulls on the metal buckle, the strap resists slightly as if weighted. (It sounds like it's dragging some of the other nesting materials with it.) He tugs on the buckle in order to bring it out of the shaft to show the others; and the rotten belt snaps, hanging over the lip of the shaft like a drunken snake.

"Looks like junk, to me," Erwin comments. "I bet a lot of garbage gets swept into these sewers. The rats would use whatever they could to line their nests."

The buckle is rusted and useless; but there are signs that it once bore a design of silver chasing on its face.

Ulf and Kayte have made another ten feet of progress, with Arfondt hanging behind. Ulf can see that up ahead there is an opening of some sort in the right wall of the shaft which casts a thin, flickering light upon the other wall. The manner in which the sound alters as you crawl forward suggests that the voices may be coming from there.

Above

After nearly five minutes, the woman returns. "Here you go, ma'am." She hands Ferah a note.

Ferah thanks the woman and opens the parchment. She reads it and then nods in satisfaction. "Looks like they're taking care of our friends. Here, take a look."

Chaim takes the note and reads it himself. The script is hurried but neat.

"I had heard that you were a part of the Turnbuckle & Razor collapse. It's good to learn that you were not harmed."

"Yes, we dispatched a team immediately. I have not heard success or failure; but I shall keep you informed. Forgive my brevity, it's been a trying day."

The note is signed by the M & E Subdirector.
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-07-28 at 12:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf

Ulf holds up one hand behind him, his palm facing the others, in an attempt to silently indicate that they stay where they are for the moment, then carefully makes his way to the hole in the wall, hoping to reach the edge and take a peek into the room with the light without being noticed.
    Last edited by Mr the Geoff; 2007-07-28 at 04:37 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Banned

"Well then, we can only trust they know what they are about." Chaim says, thumbing his beard as he reads the message.

He then hands it back and stands, stretching up.

He then looks down and says curiously, "Who are you Lady Ferah who seems to know so well this town?"

OOC: Meant to reply earlier. Storms keeping taking out my electricity.

9. - Top - End - #219

TPP

Above

"Who, me?" She asks with a coy gesture. Then she laughs mirthfully. "My husband is a functionary in the city government. You'd be surprised how much influence spouses have--especially when social gatherings give you an opportunity to know everyone personally. I'm just glad I was able to put that knowledge to good use."

"Really, though, I should be getting home to see how Mirella is doing. Can I prevail upon you to take that offer of a warm drink and a hot bath before you go to your other appointments? I'd hate for you to need to leave the city just to get a change of clothes."

Below

Ulf does not press his face to the crack immediately, figuring that he is less likely to be seen if he stays in the shadows. The light coming through the crack is meager, but is more than enough for a dwarf.

The 'room' appears to be little more than the space between two walls: the stonework is unfinished on this side and mortar spills down messily. Sloppy human work, by the looks of it. You can't see any entrances within the field of view provided by the crack; but presumably there was some way for the two figures occupying the small space to have arrived.

From the tone of their voices and the sharpness of their gestures, they are arguing. The short figure whose back is to him is cloaked and hooded, so not much can be discerned. Nevertheless, there seems to be something wrong with his (or her) anatomy: there are bulges where you would expect none, and his (or her) limbs seem to move oddly. On the other hand, it is entirely possible that he (or she) is concealing something under the cloak.

The other person looks to be human. The voice seems to be male, but the cut of his hair and the style of his utilitarian clothing (dirtied from a climb through the sewers) is androgynous. He is the one currently speaking.

"Listen here, girl. I didn't come all this way just to be told 'no.' Either we have a deal or we don't. If we do, then you have what you need already; if we don't, then don't bother contacting me again. Either way, I'm not sticking around to discuss it any longer." A burlap bag sits in front of him. He twists the rope cinching it around his hand and uses it as a handle to lift it off the pile of stone chips on which it rests. Its contents clink and clank as they shift.

The hooded figure's head wags back and forth slightly, as if in frustration. "You know what our deal was, you're just refusing to honor it." The voice is high and slightly nasal. She pauses, as if considering a decision. "Fine. Take it and begone. It's really too late for us to do otherwise. Don't expect us to contact you again, though. There are other fences in this city who would welcome our business."

The first speaker sneers. "You wouldn't dare. I know all about you and your little secret down here. I doubt you'd want that getting out, would you girl?"

The hooded figure grows very still. "You'd be surprised how little you truly know, Willem. And you'd be even more surprised at how quickly you'd be silenced if you tried making trouble."

Something that Willem can see affects him deeply: he suddenly blanches and begins making stumbling excuses for himself, his knuckles white as he grips his bag. The girl makes no sound, but merely waves a hand--again, there looks to be something odd about it--and Willem backs out of view. The girl extinguishes the candle and exits in the opposite direction.

You shiver.

After a moment, you realize that there's cold air coming from further down the shaft.
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-08-08 at 10:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Kayte notices Ulf's gesture and ceases her movements, looking down. She makes a bunch of silent moves, signaling her thoughts. What's going on? It isn't hard for her to see Ulf looking through the hole in the wall, and she strains her ears to listen to what's happening.

Otherwise, she simply waits above Ulf, her arms aching a bit from holding herself up. You're not used to this. Why are you here?

Spoiler
    Show
    Check dice-rolling thread for Listen check.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

11. - Top - End - #221

Below

Kayte silently creeps close enough to hear the sound from the crack. She almost feels as if she can identify one of the voices.

Spoiler
    Show
    Look for more information in a PM
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf Ironbeard

Ulf carefully crawls back from the edge until he hes reached the next person behind (Kayte?) and whispers "It was a trade of some sort, stolen goods I think. The theif has left, the fence I think is still in the room. He seems a nervous sort, maybe Sir Kylen's sword will persuade him to lead us to an exit. Either that or we wait for him to leave and then follow him out. Either way I think we need to mention this to the town guard once we get out"

13. - Top - End - #223

Kylen
    "That would be preferable, but I do not know if I would be able to make it down the shaft before this thief got wind of my approach and fled. It does go against my better nature to be holding back on this, but prudence is best in the face of who knows how many enemies, particularly in our current state."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Kayte stood completely still. Willem? She listens to Ulf and Kylen talk below and nods slightly, still dumbfounded at what she just heard. Willem. We can't be found.

Whispering to those below her, she says, "I heard the whole thing. Let me talk to him. I might be able to convince him to help us out. The thing is, that guy doesn't really like me much. And I don't like him either. So, it would be rather nice if you guys didn't help him figure out who I am. If we could please get moving, that would be grand." She seems visibly nervous in posture, almost fearful. Whispering under her breath, she attempts to cast a spell on herself, one which she hopes will be helpful in persuading Willem. I hope you haven't changed too much since I last saw you, Linn. Whispering "Guise" under her breath, Kayte slowly changes form to look much darker. She seems to become shorter and thinner, and her clothes look visibly more like those of a thief and less like her own. I hope this helps.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast disguise self, making her look more like Linn. Considering I'm not sure what Linn normally wears (but I know that Kayte would be), that's what her clothes look like now. DC 15 to see through.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf Ironbeard

Ulf hefts his pick meaningfully and whispers "Just shout if it goes south and I'll be with you in seconds"

16. - Top - End - #226

Sir Kylen
    "As will I -though perhaps Ulf should go with you, as a sort of visible muscle...no insult intended of course...while I wait here in case of need. It's likely that whatever ruse you intend will be sorely weakened by having a paladin at your shoulder."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Banned

Chaim

"Kindly taken, but its not a far ride, and its these clothes of mine that needs the bath the most." Chaim replies with a thankful nod of his head. "But let me ask you this, how would you like to have dinner with my family? We would enjoy having you and yours over."

18. - Top - End - #228

Above

Ferah grins pleasantly. "I understand. Go home and see your family, kiss your wife. This morning was quite terrifying. When the street collapsed, all I could think of was.... Anyway, I wish you the best. And I thank you, with all my heart, for saving me. If there's anything I can ever do for you, just let me know."

With a gracious nod of her head, she turns and leaves the building.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ulf Ironbeard

Ulf surveys the crack again "By the time we're through here they'll both be long gone. On the other hand there's air moving through here, which suggests a vent at least, and a way out at best. That's a lovely disguise but I think it may have to wait for another time"

20. - Top - End - #230
    Banned

Chaim

"You hold that child tight now and don't let her go too often." Chaim responds and gives her one of his rare smiles. "But my offer is always open. Mirella would have plenty of young ones to get into trouble with."

He then lifts a hand as Ferah turns and he heads back outside where Longjohn waits patiently. With a tilt of his chin he bids the horse follow and together they head for the stables to fetch a saddle for the ride home.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arfondt

After several minutes of waiting without anything happening, Arfondt gets restless. "Psst. What's going on up there?" Arfondt whispers loud enough that both the people in front and to the back can hear him. "What's holding you up?"

22. - Top - End - #232

TPP

Above

Chaim's ride home is relatively uneventful. One of his daughters greets him as he crosses the muddy field from the barn to the farmhouse. A strand of her long hair is plastered slantwise across her face, and she kisses him messily.

"Daddy, daddy! Kaniel made a big mess."

Hazel's voice comes from inside the house. "That you, beloved? Oh, good. Kaniel's wrap didn't keep it all in, and now it's all over me, the table, and--" She sees Chaim as he crosses the threshhold, taking in his muddy clothes and wry grimace. "Oh, dear! What happened! Please tell me they didn't throw you out on your ear..."

Below

Crennick, who (through a quirk of acoustics) had been able to hear the exchange between Ulf, Sir Kylen (who had crawled past Arfondt earlier), and Kayte, relayed it to Arfondt.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay! I'm an Ogre (in the Playground) now!
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-08-07 at 12:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Shivering a bit out of nervousness, and mostly trying to play the part of Linn, Kayte moves up to the crack and yells, in as close an imitation of Linn's voice as she can muster, "Willem! You there?" She's certain that the voice will at least get him to look this way, whether it's Kayte's or Linn's. "Willem! Over here!" Good Lord, I hope this works.

Spoiler
    Show
    Check dice-thread for the Bluff check for Kayte's voice.

24. - Top - End - #234

Below

You hear a clanging clatter (sounding exactly as if a startled fence had dropped a burlap bag full of wares).

Then silence for a full minute.

You begin to wonder if he simply spooked and fled; but suddenly Willem's voice comes as a harsh whisper from somewhere to your left.

"Who is that? Where are you?"
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-08-08 at 10:29 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Kayte Mursai

Coughing a little bit from the dust, Kayte says, "Willem! I'm over here!" She makes her voice as convincing as possible, which is pretty convincing considering her skill. Looking down below her, she says, "Guys, move down! I need to get face-to-face with him!" at a whisper to her comrades.

When she gets her face down to the opening, Kayte says, "Willem! We're stuck behind this wall, me and a few people I met down here. There was a sinkhole or something, the road collapsed under us and we fell down into a hole. Think you could give us a hand in getting out of here? We're a bit lost." This gambit had better be worth it...

Spoiler
    Show
    Check for dice rolls again, if they are necessary.

26. - Top - End - #236

Below

"Linn? Is that you?" Kayte feels a flush of pride at the apparent success of her ruse. "Of course I'll help you out of there! Where are you? How long--I mean, how did you know I was here?"

Willem sounds a little too eager. Kayte has flashbacks of the last time she heard him use that tone.

Spoiler
    Show
    He tried to bed her, and he resorted to force when she rebuffed his advances. (I'll let Kayte decide how that particular incident ended. No need to say--unless it comes up.)

The point is not that he sounds lecherous, but that he has a hidden motive.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned

Chaim smiles sadly and beckons his wife into the bedroom to tell her of the morning's disaster as he removes his clothes and seeks a new pair. He takes a brush to hair as he finishes, "So I never even got to meet with the council. I'm going to have to hurry the old fellow back there quickly. Maybe'll be news by the time I'm out."

He notes his wife's expression as he slows down, seeing the pale shade to her face. He put his arms around her and laughs softly.

"No fretting, love. You don't think I'd ever let me be taken away from you all do you? The whole city'd have to come down, and then some." he says by her ear.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-08-14 at 08:42 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

(Oops)

Kayte Mursai

Kayte looks forward towards Willem, hopefully succeeding in keeping Willem off her ruse as long as possible. "I heard echoes of your voice along the wall as I was coming down. Didn't hear any full words, but I figured if I moved fast enough you'd still be here." Truth, tell truth, tell pure truth. She makes her face look as though she's being completely truthful, though it's much harder to do than she makes it look.

Spoiler
    Show
    Check for rolls in the thread, sorry for not posting.

29. - Top - End - #239

TPP

Above

Hazel raises her hand to affecitonately grab a tuft of hair on Chaim's shaggy chin. "It'd take more than that to keep me from digging you out, beloved. I know you have business, but...no, go anyway. Just return to us quickly, okay?"

Below

You hear a rustling, then the sharp crack of something glancing off a stone. A light slowly builds to a candle flicker in the other room. "Okay; now where did you say you are? You don't sound like you're talking through the wall."

Ulf, just beyond Kayte in the shaft, shifts uncomfortably. He doesn't want to move his position and thereby alarm Kayte's friend, but his backside is getting chilled through his leather work clothes.
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-08-15 at 12:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Banned

Chaim

"As fast as foot or hoof can go." he replies affectionately, and lowers his face with her tug to kiss her soundly.

He then turns to Kaniel and waggles a finger at him.

"And you just control yourself young man." he admonishes the babe, with a tap on the nose.

"Be good for your mother little chicks!" he calls to the children as he walks for the door.