New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: PS4 Problems

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default PS4 Problems

My wife and I just got a PS4 after saving up for a long time. It worked fine at first. Played a little Fallout 4, downloaded and played Grow Home. Everything seemed normal...

Then I got home from work today and it would not turn on. Like it would start turning on for a few seconds then shut off completely.

I looked up solutions and a factory reset got it to turn on again, but at the cost of my admittedly very little data. I shudder to think what if this happens when I'm at the end of a long RPG.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any warnings or recommendations? Should I just hope this was a one-time fluke, or is it sure to happen again? Should I pray that my wife saved the receipt?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: PS4 Problems

I've had my PS4 for a year and a half now and not had any such problems with it. Haven't heard of that being a common thing, either. I'd be inclined to hope it was a one-off fluke, but personally were I in your place I'd definitely be researching to find out if others it has happened to have found it to be a recurring thing or not before I put too much stock in that hope.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I've had the PS4 for about 2 weeks now and no such problems. I did have one time, the first day I hooked it up, where we unplugged it while it was in "rest mode" to move it to the shelf we actually wanted it on (as opposed to the temporary place we had it set up to get our Diablo 3 characters transferred over). It did a "system did not shut down properly, we're going to scan it now" similar to what PCs do and was fine after that. Is it possible it got unplugged while in rest mode? It could have been downloading or applying an update while in rest and that could have taken the system down.

I don't know why it would loose saved game data, I could see why system data may have been wiped though. If you're not sure, I would back up your saved games on a thumb drive or the cloud for a while to make sure it doesn't happen again. Of course, as everyone should know but most people never do until its too late, it is always a good idea to back up data that has a lot of importance or time put into it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Question Re: PS4 Problems

It happened for the second time in a row.

Here's how it goes: turn on the PS4 as if it's fresh out of the box. Do the setup. Connect to the wi-fi. Download games. Download updates. Install games. Play for a bit. Put the system into sleep mode. Go to bed.

Next day, the system is completely off, not in sleep mode, and it will turn on for about five seconds before shutting itself off. The only way I know to fix it is restoring the factory defaults which wipes everything.

At this point, rather than spending hours looking for a technical solution that will almost certainly void any warranty we have just trying, we're returning the PS4, and trying again from a GameStop instead of Amazon. Maybe if it's local and we get an extended warranty and hopefully a professional to make sure this doesn't happen in the future. I certainly don't want a system where every time I try to turn it on I have to wonder if it will brick.

The good news is I'm not losing any beloved data because I haven't gotten the chance to get very far in any game yet.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree that it should just be returned and replaced if it did it consistently. Although I would probably stay with Amazon (as long as you aren't buying it from a random amazon seller) because I would trust their customer service a lot more than a gamestop. In this case being face-to-face isn't really going to gain you much because gamestop employees probably have very little say in anything that happens and has to just follow corporate policy without any discretion of their own.