New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Banjo is gonna save the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    The only reason why I find the idea of Odin inviting Banjo into the Pantheon in order to sway the vote is because that would make Odin a literal Puppet Master.

And the pun amuses me.

I agree that from a narrative point of view, it is a bad idea. And it is brought up way too often.
    Odin did say that he likes puppets when banjo original wanted to join the pantheon in strip #137

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    as others pointed oout, it would be dramatically inappropriate to solve such a dramatic story arc with a silly comedic quirk.

oots is a mixture of crazy and awesome, and it need to get the two parts right. it wouldn't ddo to be awesome when the situation calls for sillyness and viceversa.
    I think it would be fitting in this case, as readers have come to see Banjo as part of the team.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Warlorn View Post
    I think it would be fitting in this case, as readers have come to see Banjo as part of the team.
    When did this happen?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

No. Just no. The puppet is neither a god of any description nor is it a member of the Order. It isn't even a character. It is just a puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    When did this happen?
    Weeell, there has to be a reason that this idea keeps returning. Sure, sometimes it might be trolls, but I fear some of them might be serious.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-10-29 at 09:18 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Weeell, there has to be a reason that this idea keeps returning. Sure, sometimes it might be trolls, but I fear some of them might be serious.
    Oh, i know; i was just trying to glibly refute the assertation that there was a consensus of Banjo acceptance as part of team on all the reader's behalf

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eboksba View Post
    If Banjo becomes the tiebreaker, I'll eat my hat.

I had to put this one!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh, i know; i was just trying to glibly refute the assertation that there was a consensus of Banjo acceptance as part of team on all the reader's behalf
    To be fair the quote doesn't say that all readers see it that way.

Even if only two or three people think this way and it would still be true.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-10-29 at 10:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    To be fair the quote doesn't say that all readers see it that way.

Even if only two or three people think this way and it would still be true.
    True, but only semantically; it heavily implies the vast majority of readers, since it would not be "fitting" if only, say, three people felt that way.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

True, but only semantically; it heavily implies the vast majority of readers, since it would not be "fitting" if only, say, three people felt that way.
    Sure, if you look at this that way you are right. I just think thats boring.

10. - Top - End - #40

Since Elan as a bard knows narrative rules beats game rules in the world he inhabits, who wants to bet he heard the promise of free cake, and all you have to be is a priest for a demi-god, and he presents his little hand puppet? You got to admit, the complete and utter MELT DOWN that Hel's High Priest would have, not to mention the 'besides herself with fury and exasperation' Hel herself would feel at being thwarted by a damn hand puppet would be rather sweet.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

I like the idea of Banjo saving the day....but only sort of.

I could actually see Banjo seriously advocating for the destruction of the world. Balking at being placed in the same company as a ridiculous puppet, pretty much all of the minor gods vote to save the world.

And yes, the free cake would have been the lure to draw Elan into the minor gods moot, if there ever was one. Or more to the point, Banjo, who probably loves cake.

Also, while somewhat off point, I'm calling revenant Belkar coming back to step into the undead field and gank Durkula, but only after Durkula learns of his defeat at the hands of a puppet (by proxy).

Both of these would make for a satisfying and humorous conclusion, as well as play well into the Giants previous plot twist styles.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Since Elan as a bard knows narrative rules beats game rules in the world he inhabits, who wants to bet he heard the promise of free cake, and all you have to be is a priest for a demi-god, and he presents his little hand puppet? You got to admit, the complete and utter MELT DOWN that Hel's High Priest would have, not to mention the 'besides herself with fury and exasperation' Hel herself would feel at being thwarted by a damn hand puppet would be rather sweet.
    Well you have to be a priest of a demi god of the Northern Pantheon. Banjo isn't in the Northern Pantheon, because Odin never got to the opportunity to make his offer. And Elan isn't a priest anyway. (Or any sort of divine caster). And sure, Hel would would be frustrated to epic proportions by such a twist, but the same could go for any of the villains schemes being undone by any sort of ridiculous twist. We might as well speculate how The Dark One would react if it turned out that the Snarl was just a big harmless ball of yarn.

And just because Elan knows the narrative rules, doesn't change the fact that he's on a ship, outside the temple, with no way of hearing the High Priest of Baldur.

In any case all of these guesses about Banjo is starting to make me feel like Durkon.

"Cannae ye see tha thar just puppets!"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Stoneheart View Post

In any case all of these guesses about Banjo is starting to make me feel like Durkon.

"Cannae ye see tha thar just puppets!"

Which is precisely why so many people find it amusing. They are just stupid puppets... but they also are gods. They are benevolent, they are malevolent. They are the plot twist that keeps on giving.

The only rule I can see that has to hold true, is that Elan with giggles and banjo can't actually make decisions of real consequence. But, other people "can" make decisions of consequence, while being affected by what the puppets and puppeteer say or do in some way.

That's why Elan can't vote to save the world through banjo, but he can vote (banjo has spoken!) to destroy it. Obviously, the Gods have mixed feelings about Banjo... recognizing him as a minor deity while at the same time acknowledging that he's just a puppet.

So, they can accept his words while at the same time thinking he's just a stupid puppet. That's why I figure most gods wouldn't want to be seen voting the same way as a puppet.

Either way, should he be lured in by cake, Banjo / Elan can't actually vote to save the world.

Also, as far as making it inside, Elan could easily be amusing himself outside with Banjo...only to have someone come around and usher him inside, given .. you know... Banjo is a god and he should be voting.

So, technically, should the vote not pass, Elan could be attempting to console poor Durkula because...you know... only Banjo voted the way he wanted. *insert Hel rage here*

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by FriendComputer View Post
    Which is precisely why so many people find it amusing. They are just stupid puppets... but they also are gods. They are benevolent, they are malevolent. They are the plot twist that keeps on giving.

The only rule I can see that has to hold true, is that Elan with giggles and banjo can't actually make decisions of real consequence. But, other people "can" make decisions of consequence, while being affected by what the puppets and puppeteer say or do in some way.

That's why Elan can't vote to save the world through banjo, but he can vote (banjo has spoken!) to destroy it. Obviously, the Gods have mixed feelings about Banjo... recognizing him as a minor deity while at the same time acknowledging that he's just a puppet.

So, they can accept his words while at the same time thinking he's just a stupid puppet. That's why I figure most gods wouldn't want to be seen voting the same way as a puppet.

Either way, should he be lured in by cake, Banjo / Elan can't actually vote to save the world.

Also, as far as making it inside, Elan could easily be amusing himself outside with Banjo...only to have someone come around and usher him inside, given .. you know... Banjo is a god and he should be voting.

So, technically, should the vote not pass, Elan could be attempting to console poor Durkula because...you know... only Banjo voted the way he wanted. *insert Hel rage here*
    Banjo has precisely one worshipper: Elan. Okay, so first, Odin might recognize Banjo as a god, but Banjo is not a member of the Northern Pantheon because Elan changed his mind before Odin could make the offer. So thus, Banjo doesn't get to vote. Second, it doesn't matter if the other gods want to vote the same way as a puppet or not, because their votes are already locked in stone. Loki pushed for a "No backsies" rule. Third: Elan isn't right outside the main chamber. Elan isn't right outside the temple. Elan is quite a bit outside, because he is back on the ship with Haley, and V. And none of them have any idea that the fate of the world is being voted on right now.

In any case, Banjo isn't the plot twist that keeps on giving. Banjo is a running gag that hasn't played a large role in the main plot. (Popping up in a diversion on the Orc Island can hardly count as the main plot).

15. - Top - End - #45

If the gods are DESPERATE here, it depends how much formality is needed BEFORE they accept the divine hand puppet among their ranks for a tie breaker. If it's something that takes hours or years, then they're screwed. It just depends on how fast Banjo can be accepted. He may be just a hand puppet, but since the is the fate of the world, they might be willing to bend the rules since Hel herself has done just that.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eboksba View Post
    If Banjo becomes the tiebreaker, I'll eat my hat.
    Similar things were said when the "crazy conspiracy theorists" were suggesting Julio was going to save the day from Vector Legion
    Top 5 Favorite Characters:
    5) Leeky Windstaff
    4) Malack
    3) Vaarsuvius
    2) Redcloak
    1) O-Chul