New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Engine Heart

1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Engine Heart

First off, a link to those interested: http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Engine_Heart

Second off, I'm just curious as to why I've never seen any mention of Engine Heart on here. It's a cool little system, but no one ever seems to know about it.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Engine Heart

I tried to read it, really enjoyed the setup and the little snippets of fiction at the beginning, then got super bogged down in the huge lists of "And if you want your robot to have a grasping claw..." advantages/disadvantages, and went on to read a more interesting game.

Maybe it's awesome, but it lost my attention with the way it decided to deliver info.

3. - Top - End - #3

Honestly, it seems no worse in that regards than GURPS or a similar game.

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Honestly, it seems no worse in that regards than GURPS or a similar game.
    Yup. I don't like GURPS either. And if you're going to write a game where to best thing you can say about it is "Well, it's no worse than GURPS" why wouldn't you go play GURPS?

I was expecting a game that might have actually helped me create stories that reminded me of the fluff. I got a generic point buy system that could've walked here out of 1990.

I was sad.

5. - Top - End - #5

That seems pretty fair, then. It's not Engine Heart you dislike-it's point buy systems, of which Engine Heart is one of.

How would you feel about playing if someone else handled the creation of your robot, though?

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That seems pretty fair, then. It's not Engine Heart you dislike-it's point buy systems, of which Engine Heart is one of.
    That's part of it, but the real problem is deeper than that. The real problem is that point buy systems don't usually model what I think is important. They're all about systemizing what you can and can't do, and like, what happens if one robot pushes another or something, and none of that helps create interesting stories for me.

And let's face it - GURPS is pretty much the minimum acceptable threshhold for point buy - if you ask yourself "Why wouldn't I just do this in GURPS?" you need an answer.

How would you feel about playing if someone else handled the creation of your robot, though?
    I dunno; I didn't get to the meat of the system because I got bogged down in the tiresome chargen section. That's another complaint I have about the game - I don't think you should put the comprehensive list of every advantage/disadvantage in the chargen chapter. Put that crap in an appendix or something so you can reference it when you need it, but so it's not in the way when you're trying to read through the book.

But my gut tells me that I'd find the system's mechanics irritatingly at large with the stories it purports to be about.

7. - Top - End - #7

That's a shame. Well, if you decide you are interested, I've got some recruitment going on in the PBP section.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That's a shame. Well, if you decide you are interested, I've got some recruitment going on in the PBP section.
    Well, what do you feel is GOOD about Engine Heart? What does it do that is interesting, or smart, or clever, or that would recommend it over GURPS or the like? Because for me, setting/premise isn't really enough.
    Last edited by Airk; 2015-10-26 at 03:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Honestly? I don't know, other than the cool setting. I've never played GURPS, never even read it, so I can't really make the comparison.

I just know that I find both the setting and mechanics cool.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Honestly? I don't know, other than the cool setting. I've never played GURPS, never even read it, so I can't really make the comparison.

I just know that I find both the setting and mechanics cool.
    Work with me here. What is cool about the mechanics? (I agree about the setting).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

My experience of the game was that I was playing OWoD: the Robot. There's some mechanics about charging that add some pacing to your brace little toaster campaigns, and a good social combat version of hacking. I use words like "workmanlike" and "adequate" a lot when talking about it.
    Non est salvatori salvator,
    neque defensori dominus,
    nec pater nec mater,
    nihil supernum.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncymancer View Post
    My experience of the game was that I was playing OWoD: the Robot. There's some mechanics about charging that add some pacing to your brace little toaster campaigns, and a good social combat version of hacking. I use words like "workmanlike" and "adequate" a lot when talking about it.
    This seems to reflect the feeling I got from it pretty well. I'll probably get back to it someday, I guess, but there's not enough time in the day for "adequate" games.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

It's not my first choice, but some of my group members are really excited about it (specifically the long list of fiddly robot abilities. Go figure.) And I don't have any problem playing it when it's that player's turn to dm.
    Non est salvatori salvator,
    neque defensori dominus,
    nec pater nec mater,
    nihil supernum.