New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5 mutliplayer GMR 14 Beyond a baker's dozen

Narkis, and Closet skeleton.

Join us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm waiting for my slot to open up from #11. Just one player left to surrender, will probably be done by tomorrow.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I'm waiting for my slot to open up from #11. Just one player left to surrender, will probably be done by tomorrow.
    Understood.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #124

Okay, I did some more reading.... Apparently only scnaerios on GMR can have more then 12 players.

Which... we aren't, and I can't mod a scenario.

So I'm really sorry to ask this, but is anyone okay with giving up their spot?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll give up my spot for anyone who hasn't been in one of these yet.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Call me callous, but if they (closet skeleton) haven't posted or joined by now are they likely to play their turns in a timely manner?
    Last edited by TheOneHawk; 2015-11-17 at 09:05 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    I'll give up my spot for anyone who hasn't been in one of these yet.
    It's Closet skeleton, so he's been in a few before.

8. - Top - End - #128

Okay. I'm assuming Closet skeleton doesn't want his slot.

So.

Final thing while we get started.

Gentlemenly diplomacy rules.

Do we want them, and if so, how enforced should they be?

9. - Top - End - #129

I'd offer these rules based on what I've seen in the other games:

-If you're at war and someone offers reasonable terms to end the war, then they deserve a negotiation. Maybe ask the game runner for a pause to do a quick conference.
    -If you think you have an agreement or alliance with someone, ask for it in-game.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

10. - Top - End - #130

@Other players.

Do other players agree with Orcus's proposed diplo rules?

@Everyone

And we have begun.

We have a 24 hour turn timer, and right now if you are skipped you lose your spot. As the game goes on the kick limit will be increased.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd offer these rules based on what I've seen in the other games:

-If you're at war and someone offers reasonable terms to end the war, then they deserve a negotiation. Maybe ask the game runner for a pause to do a quick conference.
    -If you think you have an agreement or alliance with someone, ask for it in-game.
    I dislike the first rule. Putting such an OOC limitation on warfare will discourage it way too much, and I thought we wanted more conflict in this game, not less. Rule #2 is cool though. Common sense, really.

12. - Top - End - #132

Default Re: Civ 5 mutliplayer GMR 14 On the Euro

I edited the thread title.

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I dislike the first rule. Putting such an OOC limitation on warfare will discourage it way too much, and I thought we wanted more conflict in this game, not less. Rule #2 is cool though. Common sense, really.
    It's not so much a limitation as it is a chance for a player who's on the losing end to say "hey, if I give you this city, will you go away?" without feeling rushed. It's equally cool to say "sorry, making way for a hyperspace bypass, tough luck" when you're winning, but at least make a token effort to negotiate.

14. - Top - End - #134

It's not so much a limitation as it is a chance for a player who's on the losing end to say "hey, if I give you this city, will you go away?" without feeling rushed. It's equally cool to say "sorry, making way for a hyperspace bypass, tough luck" when you're winning, but at least make a token effort to negotiate.
    So it's less of a forced negotiation, and more either player can ask the host (me) to extend the turn timer for negotiations?

Because otherwise I'm not sure that's a good idea.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Requesting clarification via example of proposed rule #2.]

---

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

The founding location of Warsaw, capital of what will hopefully be a prosperous empire.

I started on hills. Moving my warrior to the east revealed no further resources, so I saw no reason to delay my founding, even though it could probably be a better start position. I think I can see the coastline to the north.
    Last edited by Ryuho Tsugu; 2015-11-17 at 10:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show

Hello citizens of Aleph Complex. Here we observe the humble beginnings of our great complex. Observe, sector PCE, the pride and joy of our people. Sure, the tundra can be a little chilly, but remember citizens, happiness is mandatory. The Armed Forces are beginning to scout of the land around us to determine who our neighbors are. Meanwhile, the high council has determined we must establish a dedicated scouting division. Updates shall follow as our friend determines what is best for our beloved complex.
    Last edited by RayGallade; 2015-11-18 at 12:38 AM.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

17. - Top - End - #137

@Ryuho Tsugu

I'm guessing it's Declaration of friendships are to be taken seriously.

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    So it's less of a forced negotiation, and more either player can ask the host (me) to extend the turn timer for negotiations?

Because otherwise I'm not sure that's a good idea.
    Yes, you've got it. If someone makes an offer to negotiate a peace, then we extend the timer a bit so they can hash out a deal. If it's clear no deal will be reached, then the one who ends negotiations lets the host know.

ex1: "Okay, you caught me with my pants down and took a city. If I give you this one as well, will you go away?" (negotiation request)
    "I want this city instead."
    "I can't give up that one, but how about the one I just offered plus some luxuries."
    "Throw in a declaration of friendship so I can role-play 'vassalizing' you."
    "Alright, fine, deal." (negotiations end)

ex2: "Oh crap, is there anything I can give you to halt this madness?" (negotiation request)
    "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"
    "....." (negotiations end)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuho Tsugu View Post
    [Requesting clarification via example of proposed rule #2.]
    Illven hit it on the head. It's not a rule, so much as it is a reminder. If you want the alliance to mean something, use the game mechanics to keep yourself from being obviously backstabbed.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

I think having the game as a 1 turn skip = you're out of the game is a bit much, or having a 24 hour turn timer a bit too short for that rule. I would suggest either have 3 turn skip = end of game, or expand the time limit to at least 2 days, as I'm sure some one will have a busy day at some point that they can't check on their turn, like an interview or cram night for a finals week, stuff like that.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

In a game with 12 players, it can already take nearly two weeks for it to reach your turn again. Unless we want this game to take somewhere in the realm of 3-4 years to finish, I'm pretty ok with the current turn timer and kick setup. If you do get kicked and want back in, I'd expect Illven would let you rejoin as well as long as it wasn't a regular thing.

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneHawk View Post
    In a game with 12 players, it can already take nearly two weeks for it to reach your turn again. Unless we want this game to take somewhere in the realm of 3-4 years to finish, I'm pretty ok with the current turn timer and kick setup. If you do get kicked and want back in, I'd expect Illven would let you rejoin as well as long as it wasn't a regular thing.
    As the game goes on, the skip limit will increase.

It's to prevent someone forgetting about this game for 2 weeks, and skipping ten turns.

If you ask to join back in, clearly you haven't forgotten.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    As the game goes on, the skip limit will increase.

It's to prevent someone forgetting about this game for 2 weeks, and skipping ten turns.

If you ask to join back in, clearly you haven't forgotten.
    Okay. I guess that's alright.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    So, here's my starting location:

Northerly, coastal - I'm guessing I'm somewhere in the Baltic Sea, or maybe out on the tip of Scotland. Resource-wise, all those sea resources (plus deer and cattle) mean I'm set for early growth. Could definitely do worse. Going to have to make my production doesn't fall behind, though.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

I wish I could post screen shots for my turns, but all I ever get are black screens.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Do we want any sort of grace period after/before declaring war on someone? Maybe just give everyone one turn warning?

Or are we fine with sneak attacks?

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by tropical_punch View Post
    Do we want any sort of grace period after/before declaring war on someone? Maybe just give everyone one turn warning?

Or are we fine with sneak attacks?
    That's an option.

The thing is. It discourages war-like civs.

But sneak attacks can lead to hard feelings.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

War is part of the game. If we're using random civs (and thus might end up with civs who's only real advantage is war) then it would be really unfair to punish war. It sucks to lose a game like civ that takes so long to play, but the fact of the matter is that 11 of us are going to lose.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'll echo the vote for no on mandatory warning. Sure, I'd be more than slightly annoyed at being attacked, but I figure it's better to give everyone a fair shot at winning.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking as a not-particularly-warlike civ, I don't think we need advance notice of attacks. If I'm worried about getting blindsided, I'll devote resources to patrolling my borders.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Pretty decent start location. 2 luxuries and good tiles all around. Not spectacular by any means, but above average for sure.

If I were to hazard a guess I'd say I'm somewhere around France, but with no seas visible it could possibly be just about anywhere.