New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY VII: Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Spoiler: V3C6
    Show
    Except... wait, he got out of his 'defeat crouch', walked over to her, then slumped back into it for her to punch him? That... sounds awkward.
    Show
    Iirc, he was already standing when she punched him.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2015-12-21 at 04:04 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #512
    Colossus in the Playground

(Bit of a thread-hop, sorry, but can't read all 500+ posts tonight >.O)
    Show
    I've got to admit, I'm still kind of baffled as to how Yang hit Mercury at all; once she's snapped out of the illusion, she's clearly a minimum of ~3 metres from him, since the robots are able to completely surround her without Mercury/Emerald being in the shot, and nothing on-screen showed that she had moved from the spot where she had punched him.

... and she turned around and started walking away from him. Did the illusion somehow start before the fight actually ended, or what? Because when the fight ended, she was already a good distance away from him, and she turned and left. How on Earth (Remnant, whatever) did she walk past him to punchshoot the kneeling Mercury in the leg without him moving from the spot that was somewhere around ~7m from where she thought she was?

The end of the fight sure seems to have happened the way we (and presumably Yang) saw; but then the logistics of it just don't work at all, because Yang would have to somehow have punched him away, walked towards him as if to pass him on her way out of the arena that way, then turned around and walked back, then broken his leg on the way by. I... just... what?
    Show
    Illusions are bad. Illusions are bad illusions are bad illusions are bad. MY ORGANS ARE MADE OF ILLUSIONS.

There's really no other answer to this. These are questions that shouldn't ever HAVE to be asked.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

(Bit of a thread-hop, sorry, but can't read all 500+ posts tonight >.O)
    Show
    I've got to admit, I'm still kind of baffled as to how Yang hit Mercury at all; once she's snapped out of the illusion, she's clearly a minimum of ~3 metres from him, since the robots are able to completely surround her without Mercury/Emerald being in the shot, and nothing on-screen showed that she had moved from the spot where she had punched him.

... and she turned around and started walking away from him. Did the illusion somehow start before the fight actually ended, or what? Because when the fight ended, she was already a good distance away from him, and she turned and left. How on Earth (Remnant, whatever) did she walk past him to punchshoot the kneeling Mercury in the leg without him moving from the spot that was somewhere around ~7m from where she thought she was?

The end of the fight sure seems to have happened the way we (and presumably Yang) saw; but then the logistics of it just don't work at all, because Yang would have to somehow have punched him away, walked towards him as if to pass him on her way out of the arena that way, then turned around and walked back, then broken his leg on the way by. I... just... what?
    Spoiler: V3E6
    Show
    you know maybe there is something to Raziere's theory regarding illusions playing havoc on the senses and a master illusionist can basically controls someone's actions. Maybe Yang perceived one thing and did something very different, like someone sleepfighting.

So we have several weeks before next episode I'm wondering what people would have happen next.

Personally, I think we're set for a first: the villains are going to get the major victory.

Spoiler: specific predictions
    Show
    Yang will get off easy, but the damage has been done. The tournament is ruined and the Grimm are called.

Cinder will have the robots turn on the worst moment and the release version of the Paladins will get into White Fang hands.

Pyrrha will never get to Autumn, Cinder will pull the plug in the confusion and fully acquire the Fall powers.

We are going to have widespread confusion, destruction and defeat, and a scramble by our heroes to survive.

The next season will be about regrouping in a world that finally matches the darkness of the story overtones and musical numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

4. - Top - End - #514

Default Re: Rewriting RWBY: Stepping into Monty's fancy shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    So we have several weeks before next episode I'm wondering what people would have happen next.

Personally, I think we're set for a first: the villains are going to get the major victory.

Spoiler: specific predictions
    Show
    Yang will get off easy, but the damage has been done. The tournament is ruined and the Grimm are called.

Cinder will have the robots turn on the worst moment and the release version of the Paladins will get into White Fang hands.

Pyrrha will never get to Autumn, Cinder will pull the plug in the confusion and fully acquire the Fall powers.

We are going to have widespread confusion, destruction and defeat, and a scramble by our heroes to survive.

The next season will be about regrouping in a world that finally matches the darkness of the story overtones and musical numbers.
    Show

My only real problem with this series is that that podcast had them confirm Valentine Day's episode is gonna be related to love and romance and junk. So most of what you described can't really happen, or if it does it gets swept under the rug quickly.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Everything since Ruby met Emerald in the hallway that one time has been a hallucination.

Show
    I feel like Pyrrha getting involved in the Autumn business isn't going to be quite that sort of a red herring. I'm picturing more Pyrrha going through with the ritual experiment, then something bad happens to Autumn, hence to Pyrrha too. Then...they can end up with two Autumns, or they can have Pyrrha end up like Autumn, or they can have Cinder take everything, or they can have succession swipe the power from Cinder entirely. (The latter only really works if this whole "something bad happens to Autumn" thing gets delayed for a season or so.)

Still don't think the tournament is or should be ruined with just Yang's incident. There will be sober contemplation about whether to continue the tournament, then they'll continue the tournament, then something worse will happen.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Show

My only real problem with this series is that that podcast had them confirm Valentine Day's episode is gonna be related to love and romance and junk. So most of what you described can't really happen, or if it does it gets swept under the rug quickly.
    Spoiler: Podcast
    Show
    No, it just got a big laugh from the entire cast, which could mean a lot of things.

(The part in question):
    https://youtu.be/H92JeVJIA8Q?t=1h14m53s

"That's awesome, that's amazing, that's badass, that's beautiful, happy valentine's day to me and you and you and you and everyone" is the exact quote from Miles. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Pyrrha's death scene from that reaction.

Show
    Here's another thought. Since we now have more or less confirmation that Cinder is the "one responsible for Autumn's condition", that means she is the one making the things that unsettles Qrow. Since its unlikely that the part of Autumn's power that she stole is something we've seen before (as Glynda & Ozpin would probably have been more alarmed seeing someone use the Fire/Glass stuff in that case), I wonder if the 4 Maiden's powers have something to do with controlling/manipulating the Grimm. I mean, there's very little chance of an Atlas/Vale conflict now that its clear Ironwood is in on a secret this big, and we need a "Villain Army" for the apparently imminent war. It would explain why part of Cinders plan seems to be flooding Vale with Grimm--even as a distraction, that seems really risky since Grimm attacks have the potential to spiral out of control. It would also explain why Ironwood brought an army to Vale when the only opposition currently present is a bunch of (sub-par) terrorists.
    Last edited by Dasgovernator; 2015-12-22 at 11:20 AM.

7. - Top - End - #517

Quote Originally Posted by Dasgovernator View Post
    Spoiler: Podcast
    Show
    No, it just got a big laugh from the entire cast, which could mean a lot of things.

(The part in question):
    https://youtu.be/H92JeVJIA8Q?t=1h14m53s

"That's awesome, that's amazing, that's badass, that's beautiful, happy valentine's day to me and you and you and you and everyone" is the exact quote from Miles. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Pyrrha's death scene from that reaction.

Show
    Here's another thought. Since we now have more or less confirmation that Cinder is the "one responsible for Autumn's condition", that means she is the one making the things that unsettles Qrow. Since its unlikely that the part of Autumn's power that she stole is something we've seen before (as Glynda & Ozpin would probably have been more alarmed seeing someone use the Fire/Glass stuff in that case), I wonder if the 4 Maiden's powers have something to do with controlling/manipulating the Grimm. I mean, there's very little chance of an Atlas/Vale conflict now that its clear Ironwood is in on a secret this big, and we need a "Villain Army" for the apparently imminent war. It would explain why part of Cinders plan seems to be flooding Vale with Grimm--even as a distraction, that seems really risky since Grimm attacks have the potential to spiral out of control. It would also explain why Ironwood brought an army to Vale when the only opposition currently present is a bunch of (sub-par) terrorists.
    Spoiler: Podcaaaast
    Show

Aaaaah I can't read these people they're just huge bros and nothing about their body language and tone feels familiar to what I'm used to in the worst way possible. I guess we'll find out then!

Show

The problem with that idea is then "but then why bother with all the pomp and circumstance and control the Grimm outright" or, more accurately, "why are the Grimm even a threat if these four could control the Grimm". That power would sort of invalidate the setting. I know these comments are more writing wise, but I think it's okay in this instance.

Also, in regards to the illusions and stuff, I have one thing to say. One simple thing. My organs are made out of illusions.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

In response to saying we're still in Act 1... I have to post it in the other thread, so I edited my post there.

And in doing so, I realized that Cinder and Emerald are basically Lust and Envy. Yayyy.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2015-12-22 at 03:50 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #519
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

RT's Let's Play! plays RWBY: Grimm Eclipse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGlye2zjEIY

10. - Top - End - #520

RT's Let's Play! plays RWBY: Grimm Eclipse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGlye2zjEIY
    Unfair they beat me to it.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Firbolg in the Playground

It doesn't look like there are enough skills for it to be worth having an experience system... weird. Maybe they'll add more to each character over time.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2015-12-24 at 03:42 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

12. - Top - End - #522
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

New WOR!

Spoiler: WOR: CCT
    Show
    Its basically the internet. Not really much else of note, other than that if one kingdom's tower goes down, so do all of the others (How does that even work? Are they all wired in series cross-continent or something?)

Though I get the feeling cutting off Vale's outside communications is a key part of Cinder's plans.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: WoR CCT
    Show
    Gosh, usually networked systems have independent nodes, redundant functionality, or at worst a single point of failure. It's convenient that every point is a point of failure for the whole system in this case.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Show
    Gosh, usually networked systems have independent nodes, redundant functionality, or at worst a single point of failure. It's convenient that every point is a point of failure for the whole system in this case.
    Show
    I can think of a scenario where this would happen. In fact, it's a pretty common situation in science fiction. Think of a force field, imagine that it needs four fixed points to maintain the field, if any one of them fail, the integrity of the entire field collapses.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

New WOR!

Spoiler: WOR: CCT
    Show
    Its basically the internet. Not really much else of note, other than that if one kingdom's tower goes down, so do all of the others (How does that even work? Are they all wired in series cross-continent or something?)

Though I get the feeling cutting off Vale's outside communications is a key part of Cinder's plans.
    Spoiler: WoR: CCT - So how's their cell service?
    Show
    There's multiple points of note: First that no system of communication was functioning prior to the Cross-Continental Transmit system, including attempts at satellite.

The fact that dust doesn't work beyond Remnant's atmosphere and that space flight "has not yet [been] achieved" says a lot.

It also says a lot that Grimm attacks are so bad that a mail service cannot function. Not only does it further confirm the dark background of the world's civilization as constantly evolving a few steps from annihilation, but it also indicates that long distance communication was only recently developed!

That last bit about cutting off the network means cutting off everyone is clearly a plot point. Cinder is less likely to want to cut off Vale's communications as a means to attack Vale, but is rather attacking Vale as a means of securing the communication tower.

With the communication tower in hand, Cinder can control all the communication in the world...or silence it.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2015-12-28 at 11:26 PM.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: WoR:CCTS
    Show
    Another idea for the lack of redundancy in the towers is it sends a message to everybody. The idea that no kingdom can stand alone and they need to work with each other to survive. It can also act as a deterrent for inter-kingdom war. Sure, you could take out another kingdom's communications, but then you take out your own as well, and the other neutral kingdoms. Is the lack of redundancy a bad idea? Absolutely. But I imagine Atlas made the towers the way they did as a way to placate the other kingdoms after whatever happened to Mantle. We don't know how Atlas came to power, but it seems one of their early projects were the CCT. The idea that the other kingdoms would allow what was basically a newborn country to build a massive communication tower in their capitol city is strange without there being some kind of assurance that Atlas' intentions were noble.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Doctor* Bartholomew Oobleck
    History is the very backbone of our society! And the liver. And the kidneys too if I was willing to wager.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: WOR
    Show
    I'm actually more interested in the fact that Dust doesn't function off-world. I wonder if that will set something up...
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: WoR: CCT - Redundancy is Redundant
    Show
    I don't quite get the criticism of "why no redundancy." Firstly, the Internet, our Internet, has extraordinary redundancy, and I recall a large portion of if went out after a router failure in some rural Pennsylvania area in the US not too long ago. Something about feedback loops and a paucity of central-hub style routers or something. Maybe they changed something afterwards, but apparently there have been situations that have resulted in entire countries losing Internet access.

Secondly, we are talking about fantastic technology based on magic dust. If only four of these towers exist in the whole world and all need to function at once, it suggests that backup towers may be far too expensive or perhaps not even possible at all.

After all, it is perfectly consistent with the WOR that the towers need to exist in perfectly-aligned harmony to function at all and perhaps that means certain aspects of the structure and operation of the four towers must be co-ordinated in their very construction. if that sounds like magic...well?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    Spoiler: WOR
    Show
    I'm actually more interested in the fact that Dust doesn't function off-world. I wonder if that will set something up...
    Spoiler: WoR
    Show
    Actually, pretty clearly it prevents setting something up, with the something being a satellite network.

Seriously though, I have no doubt the origins of dust, why it only works on Remnant, why the Moon is shattered, and the origins of grimm will eventually come to light. However, I think the lack of space travel, and a means around it, will serve as an important plot point only in the end-game. It is only mentioned now to satisfy everyone questioning "why no satellite?"
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2015-12-29 at 12:53 AM.

19. - Top - End - #529

Spoiler: WoR: CCT - Redundancy is Redundant
    Show
    I don't quite get the criticism of "why no redundancy."
    Spoiler: WoR: CCT
    Show
    Personally, I balked at the claim that one tower failing causes the entire network to fail. Why? If the node farthest from the others fail, shouldn't the others still be able to relay messages?

It only really makes sense to me if there's some kind of resistance, if the power of at least four towers, spread across the continents, are needed to clean up the airwaves, for example.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Show
    Personally, I balked at the claim that one tower failing causes the entire network to fail. Why? If the node farthest from the others fail, shouldn't the others still be able to relay messages?

It only really makes sense to me if there's some kind of resistance, if the power of at least four towers, spread across the continents, are needed to clean up the airwaves, for example.
    Show
    Resistance? I don't think that's the solution we are looking for. The four towers signals only work close to their respective Kingdoms anyway. Instead it seems to require resonance. The towers signaling system must work in some way that requires all the other towers work with it.

Other than that, it seems that these are quite a bit like terrestrial radio/tv towers, which have limited range. Together those properties do seem rather odd and contradictory now that I think about it...
    Last edited by Rawhide; 2015-12-29 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Fixed accidental broken spoiler

21. - Top - End - #531

Finally got around to watching the WOR. Was late due to holidays.

Spoiler: WOR CCT
    Show

I too agree that the towers working the way they do now doesn't...you know, work. But I will say it's actually kind of interesting that Dust gets weaker the further you get from the planet. I can't begin to imagine why, or what purpose this will actually serve, but it's still neat.

22. - Top - End - #532

Show
    Resistance? I don't think that's the solution we are looking for. The four towers signals only work close to their respective Kingdoms anyway. Instead it seems to require resonance. The towers signaling system must work in some way that requires all the other towers work with it.

Other than that, it seems that these are quite a bit like terrestrial radio/tv towers, which have limited range. Together those properties do seem rather odd and contradictory now that I think about it...
    Show
    There has to be something that resists the transmission over such a distance, even if that resistance is 100% normally and 0% when you overcome it, which requires multiple towers working in resonance. Otherwise, why build a system which fails entirely if even the farthest node fails?

23. - Top - End - #533
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    There has to be something that resists the transmission over such a distance, even if that resistance is 100% normally and 0% when you overcome it, which requires multiple towers working in resonance. Otherwise, why build a system which fails entirely if even the farthest node fails?
    Show
    There's all the normal things that interfere with radio broadcasts: weather, mountains, solar and cosmic activity, but I don't see why a theory of special Remnant specific resistance is necessary.

Once you accept the bombshell premise that all the tech is dust-based, and they lack the RL technology to send a rocket into the atmosphere...they may lack the tech to broadcast radio the normal way.

24. - Top - End - #534

Show
    There's all the normal things that interfere with radio broadcasts: weather, mountains, solar and cosmic activity, but I don't see why a theory of special Remnant specific resistance is necessary.

Once you accept the bombshell premise that all the tech is dust-based, and they lack the RL technology to send a rocket into the atmosphere...they may lack the tech to broadcast radio the normal way.
    Show
    Something prevents transmission between two towers. For some reason, there needs to be four towers working in sync in order for any transmission to take place.

It could be that all four towers prime the airwaves using dust, and without the priming from all four towers, no signal can reach between any towers. It doesn't matter what specifically, my point is that without such a requirement, without something that prevents any transmission at all to reach that far unless all four towers are working together to overcome it, the system of one failure = no communication whatsoever makes absolutely zero sense.

25. - Top - End - #535

Show
    Something prevents transmission between two towers. For some reason, there needs to be four towers working in sync in order for any transmission to take place.

It could be that all four towers prime the airwaves using dust, and without the priming from all four towers, no signal can reach between any towers. It doesn't matter what specifically, my point is that without such a requirement, without something that prevents any transmission at all to reach that far unless all four towers are working together to overcome it, the system of one failure = no communication whatsoever makes absolutely zero sense.
    Show
    It'd be cool if they told us why though. This is information that should actually be told, because there is no good way of showing it.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Show
    It'd be cool if they told us why though. This is information that should actually be told, because there is no good way of showing it.
    Spoiler: WoR CCT - it holds up under scrunity about as well as a shattered moon
    Show
    My guess is the creators dismiss the whole problem as fridge logic. The reason they put "any one tower" collapses the system rather than just Vale's (which is the centeral tower) is because they don't want to telegraph too heavily that Vale's system is going to go down and take down the Internet!

Not to mention that the radios, TVs, telephones, and basically civilization is going to collapse if a tower goes down.

The alternative is that Cinder captures the tower and no one does anything to silence her or prevent her from taking control of...all the things, because the alternative is unthinkable.

I predict RWBY world is going to go dark though...in a literal way of mass technology blackouts.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So... sorry to interrupt the current flow of conversation for a moment.

I'm not sure how many of you are aware of this, but someone on the internet too the time to make an unofficial RWBY RPG.

And, furthermore, I came up with a concept for a game that some of us might enjoy. It still has some slots open (and needs a GM). Here's a link to the recruitment thread.

Look forward to seeing some of you over there!

28. - Top - End - #538
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: WoR Map
    Show
    That top left island look like a dragon to anyone else or is that just me?
    Long-form Sig

29. - Top - End - #539
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Coming up next on RWBY: V3C7
    Show

It looks like we're getting a flashback episode.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Michael7123 View Post
    Spoiler: Coming up next on RWBY: V3C7
    Show

It looks like we're getting a flashback episode.

Spoiler: V3E7 That's different...
    Show
    So it looks like the villains are getting a backstory, is it too much to suggest they also are going to get some definition and multidimensionality as well?

Spoiler: V3E7 RWBY is a Shounen
    Show
    I'll also point out the flashback arc for the villains presenting them as interesting and conflicted people going through a process of realization...will be another thing to bring RWBY from being very much its own thing to something following Shounen structure.