New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: RWBY VII: Winter is coming

Spoiler: V3C12
    Show
    Pyrrha... and that last kiss. With her demise I've got doubts Penny's coming back. Surprised that Ruby's power doesn't appear to be a maiden power, I thought it would have been the power of the Summer Maiden coming out. The Grimm Dragon being frozen and unable to keep spawning Grimm everywhere does limit the damage all around even if it's still attracting Grimm to the school grounds. And the communication tower has fallen as people predicted.

I recall someone saying somewhere that the narrator was probably Cinder's boss and they were right. Looks like Salem fits the Wicked Witch character opposing Oz/pin. She could be the Winter Maiden given Cinder's possessiveness over the Fall Maiden's powers, but she also doesn't look human and talks about humanity from an outside perspective. Like Ozpin she doesn't have a colour in her name so I'm guessing they both certainly existed before the Great War for certain, meaning he probably was the Wizard who granted the maidens their powers. Salem would have created Cinder's Grimm glove too.

I doubt Cinder's dead, her Fall Maiden powers probably protected her if nothing else. Also she provides a point for Mercury and Emerald to keep on doing stuff, though we never saw them this episode. Cinder doesn't seem quite human any more with the way she talked to the Grimm Dragon. It was nice to see Ozpin and Pyrrha smack her around more, shows she isn't quite invincible. I doubt Ozpin's dead either.

And we finally see Taiyang properly, and Weiss's dad, though I was expecting him to look harsher. Still he does have a rather cold expression on his face, though his moustache obscures his small frown a little. I guess Adam was satisfied enough with emotionally breaking Blake and causing enough devastation to a human city. Can assume the Grimm were causing too much trouble for his White Fang and pulled out to let the Grimm finish the job. He may still be working with Cinder, but he's probably not an avid fan of sacrificing any more of his forces than he needs to.

I wouldn't be surprised if Blake was hunting the White Fang down after feeling like a failure. Yang on the other hand is still morose mainly with Blake leaving her behind instead of explaining anything. Probably makes her feel like she lost her arm for nothing. Team RWBY are divided up while Ruby heads off with the rest of Team JNPR. Can Qrow turn into a crow? Probably but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Spoiler: First hour of pre-finale livestream
    Show
    Torchwick was never supposed to last as long as he did, but everyone loved him so much that he got a "stay of execution" until the final episodes of this volume.

(Everything in quotes are exact words used.)
    Show
    So it looks like Torchwick is really dead then, alas. I wonder where that leaves Neo. Nothing left to do but help Cinder really.
    Last edited by Phexar; 2016-02-15 at 02:32 AM.
    You were born an original. Don't die a copy.
    -- John Mason.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phexar View Post
    Show
    So it looks like Torchwick is really dead then, alas. I wonder where that leaves Neo. Nothing left to do but help Cinder really.
    Show

Random third faction/trying to get revenge on Ruby for killing Roman, I guess.

...so, is Junior Bear and his two girls ever going to be important or have they been dropped?

3. - Top - End - #963
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Show

...so, is Junior Bear and his two girls ever going to be important or have they been dropped?
    Show
    Probably won't be important again. Yang's the only one who knows them and she's too pissed off at the shortage of cybernetic limbs right now. On top of that, it seems like the better part of next volume is going to be on another continent.
    Just "John" is fine.

Credit to Edwin for the awesome orc avatar.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad...
    Show

I never said anything, but during Season 2 I remember thinking that there were an awful lot of redheads on this show...
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

5. - Top - End - #965
    Firbolg in the Playground

I can't remember, was it ever stated whether or not the after-credits scene from S2 actually happened? And if it was, was it established when it happened?
    Spoiler: S3E...Last, can't remember the number
    Show
    Because if it's supposed to take place in the future, either the RWBY writers didn't know that Yang was going to lose an arm at the end of last season, Yang definitely gets an perfect prosthetic duplicate of her arm at some point, or Yang somehow regrows her arm.

And no, I'm not asking about anyone's unfounded theories based off of baseless speculation or vague clues, I mean was it ever actually confirmed by the writers themselves one way or the other.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2016-02-15 at 09:47 AM.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Show
    With regards to Cinder being dead, I will refer to the wisdom of Nale. Far too important to die off-screen, and it is not like they were being squeamish about death scenes.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ace rooster View Post
    Show
    With regards to Cinder being dead, I will refer to the wisdom of Nale. Far too important to die off-screen, and it is not like they were being squeamish about death scenes.
    Spoiler: V3E12
    Show
    There's also her Maiden powers to consider. If Cinder is really dead, then the Autumn mantle would have passed to someone else. And since she was instantly defeated while staring straight at Ruby, it's unlikely that she had anyone else on her mind at the moment of death. But there hasn't been the slightest hint of Ruby becoming a Maiden. That seems like the sort of thing that'd be hard to miss. So because of that (among other things), I tend to err on the side of Cinder being alive.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    I can't remember, was it ever stated whether or not the after-credits scene from S2 actually happened? And if it was, was it established when it happened?
    Spoiler: S3E...Last, can't remember the number
    Show
    Because if it's supposed to take place in the future, either the RWBY writers didn't know that Yang was going to lose an arm at the end of last season, Yang definitely gets an perfect prosthetic duplicate of her arm at some point, or Yang somehow regrows her arm.

And no, I'm not asking about anyone's unfounded theories based off of baseless speculation or vague clues, I mean was it ever actually confirmed by the writers themselves one way or the other.
    It hasn't been stated as far as I know, but the conversation could still happen later if it takes place in a dream world/mental construct. If that's the case, it doesn't matter that Yang's missing an arm because in dream world, her subconscious could just give her one. Setting it in the future could also explain why she goes red-eyed as soon as she sees Raven. By this point she knows enough about her mom to be thoroughly pissed at her.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Doctor* Bartholomew Oobleck
    History is the very backbone of our society! And the liver. And the kidneys too if I was willing to wager.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Show
    One interesting theory I heard was that Cinder is actually the host of a parasite/possession Grimm. I wonder how that would work out if Ruby's silver eyes managed to disable it, and now the "real" Cinder is now around.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Show
    One interesting theory I heard was that Cinder is actually the host of a parasite/possession Grimm. I wonder how that would work out if Ruby's silver eyes managed to disable it, and now the "real" Cinder is now around.
    Show
    Well, a Cinder that is really angry because Ruby took (a part) of her powers - because the Maiden's power were taken with the Spidergrimm they might still be tied to it- would at least have a understandable motivation to come after Ruby and Team JN-R. Or she could try to regain them somehow. Another option might be that "Cinder" was the spider and the host is free now, for better or for worse. We will see.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

11. - Top - End - #971

Quote Originally Posted by User_Undefined View Post
    It hasn't been stated as far as I know, but the conversation could still happen later if it takes place in a dream world/mental construct. If that's the case, it doesn't matter that Yang's missing an arm because in dream world, her subconscious could just give her one. Setting it in the future could also explain why she goes red-eyed as soon as she sees Raven. By this point she knows enough about her mom to be thoroughly pissed at her.
    I think we can safely say that "it doesn't matter" because the actual creator have done nothing with it. The best I can imagine is that it was meant to be a dream, NOT some kind of dream scape communication but just A DREAM, and when Raven takes off her mask it was to make Yang realize "oh she's my Mom" like how Luke saw his face in Vader's helmet in that dream/spirit journey thing. I think that's ALL this was, because it's the only NON STUPID thing that I can think of that meshes with her conversation with Qrowe.

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Show
    Show
    That's...less a theory and more true, in that after the bug grimm (probably some sort of Possession Type Grimm like we've seen in the manga) melted it flowed into Cinder's body and left a mark on her, and she says that she now feels "empty" and "soulless" and that she likes it. So it's entirely possible that yes, she is possessed by a Grimm. Now, does the Silver Eye Glare kill her because "she is a Grimm now" or does it just kill the Grimm inside her? We don't know, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Spoiler: Remaining hours from the finale livestream finally transcribed
    Show
    (I'm spoilering these because the livestream contains some reveals/confirmations people might not want to know.)

Confirmation that Velvet's photography is one shot, and that she needs to replenish after using a phantom weapon.

Miles Luna indicated that Velvet's photography might be a combination of semblance and dust, or was just being evasive and not answering that yet.

When asked if Velvet's photography could take, say, 6 photos of the one weapon, Miles Luna evaded the question while indicating that it "has a very small SD card".

The Qrow/Winter fight scene was choreographed to the tempo changes of Freebird. Someone has pieced it back together on YouTube.

Miles Luna indicated that losing Torchwick was one of the hardest things for him as he had been a great villain.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

13. - Top - End - #973

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Spoiler: Remaining hours from the finale livestream finally transcribed
    Show
    (I'm spoilering these because the livestream contains some reveals/confirmations people might not want to know.)

Confirmation that Velvet's photography is one shot, and that she needs to replenish after using a phantom weapon.

Miles Luna indicated that Velvet's photography might be a combination of semblance and dust, or was just being evasive and not answering that yet.

When asked if Velvet's photography could take, say, 6 photos of the one weapon, Miles Luna evaded the question while indicating that it "has a very small SD card".

The Qrow/Winter fight scene was choreographed to the tempo changes of Freebird. Someone has pieced it back together on YouTube.

Miles Luna indicated that losing Torchwick was one of the hardest things for him as he had been a great villain.
    Show
    I wish they would be a little less evasive about some stuff. It doesn't even matter if Velvet's weapon is a combination of dust and semblance, just give us some sort of explanation for how things work!

Aaaaah then WHY DID YOU KILL ROMAN!?!

14. - Top - End - #974
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Show
    There's also her Maiden powers to consider. If Cinder is really dead, then the Autumn mantle would have passed to someone else. And since she was instantly defeated while staring straight at Ruby, it's unlikely that she had anyone else on her mind at the moment of death. But there hasn't been the slightest hint of Ruby becoming a Maiden. That seems like the sort of thing that'd be hard to miss. So because of that (among other things), I tend to err on the side of Cinder being alive.
    Show
    There's two plausible explanations, with a third being 'both'. One being that these powers were stolen and this messes with their natural rhythm, and they're either free floating, or flinging to somewhere random (or perhaps even returning to the old home where the wizard gave them but that's getting into wild speculation territory). Two being that, as a herald of 'silver eyes' Ruby is occupied and thus cannot ALSO bear the Maiden Mantle. You could just not have more than one Template, to prevent things like Acid/Fire Immune Trolls.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Titan in the Playground

Well. That is one doozy of a way to wrap up a volume. V3 came together really nicely. It felt like we finally got to see plot points brought out and paid off, and even resolved in some cases. I've got strong hopes for V4 at this point; now that we've gotten past the introduction stage, the show is finally using all of that buildup that it's been doing.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

16. - Top - End - #976

Hey guys! Wanna go back to a world where people we love aren't dead and Yang can still clap her hands to believe in the power of friendship?

New RWBY Tuesday video is out. I finish the Ruby solo of the first campaign. I also put up a poll to decide who I play next!

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Just Watched the Finale
    Show
    Well it looks like Ironwood's ships weren't the only ones...

...that went down in flames.

Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Show
    A couple of things I thought of:
    1. Do we really know Cinder beat Ozpin? Given how she was going up the lift I'd say she probably was running away, and slagging everything behind her to prevent Ozpin from following. Which would mean Ozpin over played his hand.
    2. Remembering the WoR: Maidens video and the Wizard there in; Whose to say Ruby's powers aren't simply a more complete version of the Maiden's powers?
    3. Pyrrha dying bites, but at this point her personal story, and that of JNPR in general, was played out without some major change. So she and/or Jaune were going to be leaving the show anyway.
    4. Neo's not going to be gone, she has at least some tangency to the story still, as opposed (not quite as sadly) as Roman who was again played out.

Just some thoughts. This season was insanely solid overall (minus the Vytal tournament being cut short, if you need time to work people, extend what you got. I doubt many people would have complained about the tourney being an entire season... Though that would have ended us on Penny's death.)

19. - Top - End - #979

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Show
    1. Do we really know Cinder beat Ozpin? Given how she was going up the lift I'd say she probably was running away, and slagging everything behind her to prevent Ozpin from following. Which would mean Ozpin over played his hand.
    2. Remembering the WoR: Maidens video and the Wizard there in; Whose to say Ruby's powers aren't simply a more complete version of the Maiden's powers?
    3. Pyrrha dying bites, but at this point her personal story, and that of JNPR in general, was played out without some major change. So she and/or Jaune were going to be leaving the show anyway.
    4. Neo's not going to be gone, she has at least some tangency to the story still, as opposed (not quite as sadly) as Roman who was again played out.

Just some thoughts. This season was insanely solid overall (minus the Vytal tournament being cut short, if you need time to work people, extend what you got. I doubt many people would have complained about the tourney being an entire season... Though that would have ended us on Penny's death.)
    Show

1: Ozpin must of been at least HURT, since Qrowe found his staff but didn't find any Ozpin with it. So SOMETHING happened to Ozpin
    2: Because the only Maiden Power with an even slightly white look to it would be Winter, so...it's not Maiden Power. They're Silver Eye powers.
    3: I disagree with this. JNPR wouldn't of left the show if she had survived.
    4: Roman really wasn't played out, given that basically everyone seems to be dissapointed by the wasted potential of it. Again, Ruby, our MAIN CHARACTER, never managed to surpass him. That's a huge let down. Neo will probably have some stuff to do, probably revenge for Roman.

I also disagree on the worst part of this season being that the boring as heck tournament didn't get to finish.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Firbolg in the Playground

Show
    Part of me thinks Ozpin's semblance is astral projection, which would be why he was never found. Since he wasn't really there all along. But, aside from him disappearing + potential allusion to his inspiration there isn't much ground in the theory.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2016-02-16 at 09:19 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Show
    Interesting. I had the opposite reaction to this season, in that the farther away we got from the tournament, the happier I was, as a general tendency. Of everything that happened this season, the tournament had the least to do with developing plot, setting, or characters--until Cinder got her little show going, that is. The tournament fights weren't noticeably above average fight quality for the volume, either--if anything, I generally preferred the non-tournament fights. And my favorite moments from the season (for now)--most of Cinder vs. Pyrrha (don't throw your shield to block an arrow!), Qrow talking to Yang about Raven, Pyrrha not-talking to Jaune about Autumn--were entirely removed from the tournament arc.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-02-16 at 09:36 PM.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Show
    I disagree that PJ (lol) were wrapped up. Maybe I'm a sucker for a good romance, but there's much more that could be done with that.

And I vehemently disagree that Roman was played out. There's plenty that could've been done with him; a mercenary/crimeboss who takes advantage of the chaos. An immediate, yet not immediately threatening, villain.

Finally, I don't think the season was solid overall. It was typical RWBY, only a couple good downtime scenes, too much downtime overall, good when they managed to shake it off and get to the plot. And the tournament is downtime, make no mistake. It has no real stakes.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

23. - Top - End - #983

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Show
    Interesting. I had the opposite reaction to this season, in that the farther away we got from the tournament, the happier I was, as a general tendency. Of everything that happened this season, the tournament had the least to do with developing plot, setting, or characters--until Cinder got her little show going, that is. The tournament fights weren't noticeably above average fight quality for the volume, either--if anything, I generally preferred the non-tournament fights. And my favorite moments from the season (not having thought about it much)--most of Cinder vs. Pyrrha (don't throw your shield to block an arrow!), Qrow talking to Yang about Raven, Pyrrha not-talking to Jaune about Autumn--were entirely removed from the tournament arc.
    Show
    Qrowe talking to Yang about Raven was kind of great except for the thing that I still insist is a plothole. My favorite part is how Qrowe, consistently, shows that he's actually really bad as a stand in Dad. But he's doing it on purpose. Hey Yang your Mom's evil and awful, you should avoid her. Here's how you find her. Yo Ruby, you should stay in bed and sleep you're a silly small child who can't do anything AT HAVEN WHERE THE BAD GUYS ARE. Bye bye.

Qrowe is the bestworst.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Qrowe talking to Yang about Raven was kind of great except for the thing that I still insist is a plothole.
    Remind me what that was?

25. - Top - End - #985

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Remind me what that was?
    Spoiler: tangently related to V3C12 I guess.
    Show

Volume 2's after credit scene shows Yang go up to Raven and Raven says "we have much to talk about" and reveals her face, which looks like Yang' kind of. The area is kinda warpy and thus COULD be interpreted as a dream, but it's unclear. Volume 3 then does nothing with this until Yang speaks to Qrowe directly about Raven.

In this scene where she talks with Qrowe, she mentions that Raven saved her, and that she, if I remember the quote correctly, "saw her again". This could be understood to refer to the above mentioned maybe dream sequence. Except she follows it up with "but she left without saying a word". So the plothole is that possible, unclear if it's a real dream sequence or not dream sequence. The fact that whenever RT's been asked they've just kinda shrugged is REALLY annoying as well, because this scene is so ACTIVELY unimportant that just telling us what the deal is would change nothing.

Except for the fact that this scene is SUPER IMPORTANT ACTUALLY. Because Yang's entire character, her entire real motivation, is to find her Mom! And then she did! And...it all happened off screen and all she did was run away. It's incredibly anticlimactic for what should be a really powerful and important scene. And they just kinda shrugged it off like it was nothing. In the grand scheme of things it means nothing for the entire volume, because Yang never does anything with Raven and Raven never shows up and it's all just planting seeds for later volumes. But still, it's there and it's part of the series and it's a problem.

My read on this is that "it was just a dream" and Yang was supposed to realize "oh, that girl who saved me is my Mom" due to seeing her face under the lady's mask. But they don't really have this come across properly at all.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Dwarf in the Playground

Or "I saw my mom." was referring to when Raven saved her on the train. Because Yang did regain consciousness in time to see Raven walk through one of her portals and leave without so much as a hello.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Doctor* Bartholomew Oobleck
    History is the very backbone of our society! And the liver. And the kidneys too if I was willing to wager.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: tangently related to V3C12 I guess.
    Show

Volume 2's after credit scene shows Yang go up to Raven and Raven says "we have much to talk about" and reveals her face, which looks like Yang' kind of. The area is kinda warpy and thus COULD be interpreted as a dream, but it's unclear. Volume 3 then does nothing with this until Yang speaks to Qrowe directly about Raven.

In this scene where she talks with Qrowe, she mentions that Raven saved her, and that she, if I remember the quote correctly, "saw her again". This could be understood to refer to the above mentioned maybe dream sequence. Except she follows it up with "but she left without saying a word". So the plothole is that possible, unclear if it's a real dream sequence or not dream sequence. The fact that whenever RT's been asked they've just kinda shrugged is REALLY annoying as well, because this scene is so ACTIVELY unimportant that just telling us what the deal is would change nothing.

Except for the fact that this scene is SUPER IMPORTANT ACTUALLY. Because Yang's entire character, her entire real motivation, is to find her Mom! And then she did! And...it all happened off screen and all she did was run away. It's incredibly anticlimactic for what should be a really powerful and important scene. And they just kinda shrugged it off like it was nothing. In the grand scheme of things it means nothing for the entire volume, because Yang never does anything with Raven and Raven never shows up and it's all just planting seeds for later volumes. But still, it's there and it's part of the series and it's a problem.

My read on this is that "it was just a dream" and Yang was supposed to realize "oh, that girl who saved me is my Mom" due to seeing her face under the lady's mask. But they don't really have this come across properly at all.
    Spoiler: V3C8
    Show
    Yang was talking about the train incident in that scene, 99% confidence. The V2 post-credits scene never comes up. There's no plot hole in that as long as Yang has some idea of her mom's adventuring getup, especially since (seeing her from the back) she doesn't have to work out what's up with the mask. Now, the V2 post-credits scene itself is annoying, but I see that as a separate conversation.

Now that you mention it, though, there was something else that irked me about Qrow's dialogue in that scene, which isn't quite coming back to me. Ah, well. I'll put it down to RWBY's dialogue being generally irksome and thereby avoid having to adjust my opinion of that particular scene.

(PS I issued an unspoilered query about a V3C8 event and Lala answered it talking only about V3C8 events or earlier so there should be no need for me to spoiler this as V3C12, kthx.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So if that was the season finale, do we have any idea when the next season is due to be released?

I haven't had time to watch the live streams yet, hopefully that will happen soon.
    Long-form Sig

29. - Top - End - #989
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd guess (and this is totally a guess based on no information) we'll have to wait a year
    random hum :)

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pheldagriff View Post
    I'd guess (and this is totally a guess based on no information) we'll have to wait a year
    Spoiler: V4C1/V3C12
    Show
    That sounds about right. It will be a while until we see where Team JNRR's (January) journey will take them and how everyone deals with the changed world.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")