New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: RWBY VII: Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    What i heard them say in the stream was indeed that you level up in each mini campaign (the word rawhide uses is new to me so ill say it my way). But they couldnt say how long each campaign would take.
    They way I used vignette is probably not accurate to its true meaning, these mini-campaigns are probably longer than what you'd generally consider a true vignette, but it worked for this purpose.

Actually, I'm having a hard time locking down the exact definition of vignette as it relates to story telling. I'm getting everything from "one moment" to "short episode".

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Thank you for that link. From this, and other information we already know, I think we can piece together how this is game is going to work a bit better now. It seems that this isn't going to be one big long story, but more like a series of vignettes which they expect you to play over and over (due to not actually having all that much story content overall). In the video you linked, they have used the example of "Left 4 Dead" as to how that vignette style system works. I'm guessing that each time you start a vignette (for lack of a better word), all of your skills also start at zero, which would explain how a "MOBA-like leveling system" would work. From what I saw, the "MOBA-like leveling system" does indeed work somewhat similar to League of Legends or DotA. If you've never played LoL or DotA, think of the Diablo 2 skill tree, but dramatically cut down to three levels instead of six (and resetting every time you play).

P.S. Wow, they were really awkward on camera...
    Okay, yeah, no, that just killed any and all enthusiasm I had about the game. And yet, somehow, it still sounds better than actually watching RWBY...
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    Okay, yeah, no, that just killed any and all enthusiasm I had about the game. And yet, somehow, it still sounds better than actually watching RWBY...
    I think that's exactly the kind of comment we were trying to shoo away with this thread split. It was a purely negative statement in a thread dedicated to those who enjoy the show. Rawhide smite me if I'm wrong, of course.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

I think what they mean by "MOBA" is just that you can choose which stats to raise when you raise your level. This way, each player can improve their character to fit their individual play style. That's what they do in a multiplayer online battle arena like "Heroes of the Storm" and so on (its so much more than League of Legends). Resets are done in LoL so that everyone starts each battle on equal footing, that isn't necessary though.

Although speaking of customization, I really hope they will at least give the ability to color your member of RWBY so she looks unique. Customization only goes so far towards enjoyment if every Weiss looks exactly the same as every other Weiss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

5. - Top - End - #95
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I think what they mean by "MOBA" is just that you can choose which stats to raise when you raise your level. This way, each player can improve their character to fit their individual play style. That's what they do in a multiplayer online battle arena like "Heroes of the Storm" and so on (its so much more than League of Legends). Resets are done in LoL so that everyone starts each battle on equal footing, that isn't necessary though.

Although speaking of customization, I really hope they will at least give the ability to color your member of RWBY so she looks unique. Customization only goes so far towards enjoyment if every Weiss looks exactly the same as every other Weiss.
    You...don't choose your stats as you level up in MOBA games like League and Heroes of the Storm. In League you upgrade your abilities as you go, using gold to purchase items to modify your character. Heroes of the Storm has you picking perks that amplify or alter your abilities. Both of these mechanics make sense in a multiplayer, tactical game. None of them work at all in a multiplayer fast paced beat em up game. Either that or the upgrades are so simplistic that you can just fire and forget when it comes to selecting them. Remember that in basically every Devil may Cry game, one of the upgrades you have to buy is "a double jump". Imagine having to buy the double jump every time you play every single level or chapter or Devil May Cry.

There...shouldn't be ANY customization beyond changing what outfit your character is wearing. You're not playing as your own character you're playing as a member of RWBY. There's only going to BE one Weiss in every game you play.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I think what they mean by "MOBA" is just that you can choose which stats to raise when you raise your level.
    If so, that's disastrously bad communication, because that's very minimally related to MOBAs and has been in JRPGs and CRPGs for years already. I sincerely doubt it.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I think that's exactly the kind of comment we were trying to shoo away with this thread split. It was a purely negative statement in a thread dedicated to those who enjoy the show. Rawhide smite me if I'm wrong, of course.
    No. Trying to force people who don't like the show into another thread just reeks of "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!". If we have a discussion thread about RWBY, people should be free to talk about whether they like it or not without having to be shunted into second thread because the people in the original thread can't stand others disagreeing with them.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    No. Trying to force people who don't like the show into another thread just reeks of "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!". If we have a discussion thread about RWBY, people should be free to talk about whether they like it or not without having to be shunted into second thread because the people in the original thread can't stand others disagreeing with them.
    Now you're arguing about why we shouldn't have split the threads in the first place. That's a different argument.

I agree with Cale in this case. Faust did not give a why or anything constructive, it was just a straight-up shot at the show.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2015-11-09 at 07:59 PM.
    My Steam profile

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    There...shouldn't be ANY customization beyond changing what outfit your character is wearing. You're not playing as your own character you're playing as a member of RWBY. There's only going to BE one Weiss in every game you play.
    Well, we've already seen a team of four Ruby's all differently coloured in Eclipse.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Well, we've already seen a team of four Ruby's all differently coloured in Eclipse.
    ...we did?

11. - Top - End - #101

If I'm understanding things properly this time, no. No it's not. It is for literally everything RWBY related except for rewrites and negative, out-of-universe comments that are solely about the show itself. And feel free to correct me on this, Rawhide.

That said, that was a joke. Looking back, yeah, I should've made it clearer that it was supposed to be in jest, especially considering some of the opinions I've expressed about RWBY in the past.

Though actually, after a bit of thought (and this isn't a joke this time), it seems to me that MOBA-like level advancement would actually be a pretty good analogy for how RWBY does character development. It's there over a given period of time, arguably, but as soon as the game/episode/season is over, it's gone as well.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2015-11-09 at 08:19 PM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

12. - Top - End - #102

...we did?
    Appears I was misremembering, 3 Ruby's of different colour.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

13. - Top - End - #103

That was way, way long ago before they confirmed the other characters as playable. I don't think they'll have that in the actual game.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I actually want to see some of the legit alternate outfits. Like the ones they used while investigating, or their sleepwear, or wearing the others' outfits.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Personally, I actually want to see some of the legit alternate outfits. Like the ones they used while investigating, or their sleepwear, or wearing the others' outfits.
    Not a fan of them wearing each other's outfits because that'll uh...throw some pretty bad shade on the show, I think. But their other costumes yes, that should and likely will definitely be in. But not colour changing, that's kind of against the spirit of RWBY's universe.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

See, I don't really find resetting advancement mechanics so bothersome. There's a game called Wasteland Kings which does something similar, and it's an absolutely mesmerizing game.

What turns me off are the opponents. I don't have hands-on experience with the game, so I can only go off the trailer. That said, observe the way they move in the trailer. They appear to gather around the players and then go idle much of the time. I can't tell if that's for the purposes of limiting difficulty or something else, but that kinda throws off the rhythm to me.

It might play a bit better if the game were to emulate Fable in this regard by using fewer but much more intelligent opponents, forcing the players to make defensive considerations. As is, they tend to just clump up around the players while they wail on them.

Maybe the camera could be pulled in just a smidge, too.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Though actually, after a bit of thought (and this isn't a joke this time), it seems to me that MOBA-like level advancement would actually be a pretty good analogy for how RWBY does character development. It's there over a given period of time, arguably, but as soon as the game/episode/season is over, it's gone as well.
    Don't know what you are talking about there. There are plenty of series with static characters that never show any development lasting beyond a single episode that then resets. RWBY is not one of these.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    What turns me off are the opponents. I don't have hands-on experience with the game, so I can only go off the trailer. That said, observe the way they move in the trailer. They appear to gather around the players and then go idle much of the time. I can't tell if that's for the purposes of limiting difficulty or something else, but that kinda throws off the rhythm to me.
    While I haven't watched the trailer, this is basically how the enemies work in Dynasty Warriors.

Dynasty Warriors only gives any sense of "challenge" in fighting the enemy captains. The mooks are window dressing.
    My Steam profile

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    While I haven't watched the trailer, this is basically how the enemies work in Dynasty Warriors.

Dynasty Warriors only gives any sense of "challenge" in fighting the enemy captains. The mooks are window dressing.
    Play it on Nightmare instead of Easy. The mooks DO matter on higher difficulties, trust me. They're not just window dressing.

Besides, Grmm Eclipse is not a Crowd Fighter, it's a beat em up. Every enemy matters in those. Or at least should.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Play it on Nightmare instead of Easy. The mooks DO matter on higher difficulties, trust me. They're not just window dressing.

Besides, Grmm Eclipse is not a Crowd Fighter, it's a beat em up. Every enemy matters in those. Or at least should.
    Should it be a beat-'em-up? Rewatching some of the fight scenes, especially Ruby's trailer, makes me think it should be a crowd fighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Should it be a beat-'em-up? Rewatching some of the fight scenes, especially Ruby's trailer, makes me think it should be a crowd fighter.
    That's a question you should be asking the developers and Rooster Teeth, not me. If I where to give my own personal opinion on this, I think it SHOULD be a beat-em-up, because that allows for, at least in my opinion, greater depth of gameplay that would fit the series a lot better. It'd allow for a more robust and reasonable upgrading of your character over various levels. It's also allow the enemies to actually be as threatening as the show says they are.

If you want the game to more match what the show has shown us in regard to what the Grimm are, then yes a crowd fighter would work better. I just feel that the gameplay is a little shallow after a fashion in those, especially with only four characters. They have to play PRETTY uniquely for it to be worth playing. The environments also have to be more interesting then "large cube with textures in it" which seems to be what it all is based on the trailer. The only real problem is that I can't think of anything that would even fit for a Commander to fight in this version of the game.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Just have them be bigger grimm. That seems how they do things in universe. The bigger the Grimm, the more scales and spikes and whatever, the more powerful.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Given the options, I'd have made a fighter. Something like Melty Blood. Throw in a bit of VN-style story-telling with voice acting, a neat opening animation... and there you have it.

I think they have enough characters for it, and they could always make more as game specific entries.

24. - Top - End - #114

Sorry to use you as an example, DoctorFaust, but this is something I'd like to address to help everyone. Your first sentence is perfectly fine, it goes here in this thread for several reasons (being about the game, being about your personal preference of games, etc.), but your second sentence doesn't really belong in either thread. It's a cheap, non-constructive, jab that doesn't explain at all what you dislike about the show or why (if it did, it would go in the rewrite thread).

It also raises the obvious question, if you don't like RWBY at all (as the paragraph implies, you have no enthusiasm at all for the game, and even less for the show), why are you posting in the RWBY thread at all? You've later explained that you meant it to be a joke, so I'm not going to ask the question, this is just to help explain why it doesn't really fit.

The environments also have to be more interesting then "large cube with textures in it" which seems to be what it all is based on the trailer.
    The environments from the Extra Life livestream were a lot more varied and far from being just cubes. We saw two different mini-campaigns, one in Mountain Glenn and one in Emerald Forest, if I remember correctly. Environments are one area of a game which can (and often do) change quite dramatically right at the very end of the production cycle. There's no point fine tuning it if all your hard work doing so will be undone by a few minor changes to code, polishing comes at the end.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

25. - Top - End - #115

The environments from the Extra Life livestream were a lot more varied and far from being just cubes. We saw two different mini-campaigns, one in Mountain Glenn and one in Emerald Forest, if I remember correctly. Environments are one area of a game which can (and often do) change quite dramatically right at the very end of the production cycle. There's no point fine tuning it if all your hard work doing so will be undone by a few minor changes to code, polishing comes at the end.
    Okay to clarify what I mean, what we saw in the trailer is that the environments may look varied but the actual places you fight are just wide open fields with no changes. No different say, structure to them, or environmental objects, and so on and so forth. I'm concerned about the quality of the game if it's on Greenlight and not finished to the degree that it has that, because unless I'm mistaken nothing about it says it's going to be an early access game, which judging from what we've seen it definitely, definitely is.

26. - Top - End - #116

Okay to clarify what I mean, what we saw in the trailer is that the environments may look varied but the actual places you fight are just wide open fields with no changes. No different say, structure to them, or environmental objects, and so on and so forth. I'm concerned about the quality of the game if it's on Greenlight and not finished to the degree that it has that, because unless I'm mistaken nothing about it says it's going to be an early access game, which judging from what we've seen it definitely, definitely is.
    I'm saying that there was a lot more variety we saw in the stream, though they quite deliberately took the effort to point out that many of the things were still just temporary placeholders.

Being greenlit on Steam is not an indication of when a game will be released. Some games have taken over a year after being greenlit before actual release.

27. - Top - End - #117

I'm saying that there was a lot more variety we saw in the stream, though they quite deliberately took the effort to point out that many of the things were still just temporary placeholders.

Being greenlit on Steam is not an indication of when a game will be released. Some games have taken over a year after being greenlit before actual release.
    Yeah I haven't seen the actual new footage, so it'll be interesting to see for myself. All I saw was the interview. I wonder if it will have platforming, since a lot of beat em ups have platforming. I'm also legitimately curious how they'll handle the four player thing, because if you level up based on your kill and combo count, some players are gonna left in the dust.

Right, forgot that.

28. - Top - End - #118

Yeah I haven't seen the actual new footage, so it'll be interesting to see for myself. All I saw was the interview. I wonder if it will have platforming, since a lot of beat em ups have platforming. I'm also legitimately curious how they'll handle the four player thing, because if you level up based on your kill and combo count, some players are gonna left in the dust.

Right, forgot that.
    Yeah, I believe you earn level up "pips" based on combo count. Not sure how that's all going to work.

Speaking of temporary placeholders, I really like how the big base stronghold that you have to defend in one of the mini-campaigns is currently called "MacGuffin Device".

P.S. For the record, all of this talk about the game, Grimm Eclipse, doesn't actually belong in this thread, it belongs in its own thread in Gaming (Other). But, I don't think that the game currently has enough momentum to sustain a thread there for very long, so it's ok if we chat about it here as an adjunct to the show, as long as you don't mind that it will have to split off into its own thread closer to release.

29. - Top - End - #119

Yeah, I believe you earn level up "pips" based on combo count. Not sure how that's all going to work.

Speaking of temporary placeholders, I really like how the big base stronghold that you have to defend in one of the mini-campaigns is currently called "MacGuffin Device".

P.S. For the record, all of this talk about the game, Grimm Eclipse, doesn't actually belong in this thread, it belongs in its own thread in Gaming (Other). But, I don't think that the game currently has enough momentum to sustain a thread there for very long, so it's ok if we chat about it here as an adjunct to the show, as long as you don't mind that it will have to split off into its own thread closer to release.
    I don't think the game has the momentum to carry sustain a thread when it comes out, so I'm fine with this. I know that I'll probably end up playing it for the internet with friends/supporters of my work so we'll see.

30. - Top - End - #120

Sorry to use you as an example, DoctorFaust, but this is something I'd like to address to help everyone. Your first sentence is perfectly fine, it goes here in this thread for several reasons (being about the game, being about your personal preference of games, etc.), but your second sentence doesn't really belong in either thread. It's a cheap, non-constructive, jab that doesn't explain at all what you dislike about the show or why (if it did, it would go in the rewrite thread).

It also raises the obvious question, if you don't like RWBY at all (as the paragraph implies, you have no enthusiasm at all for the game, and even less for the show), why are you posting in the RWBY thread at all? You've later explained that you meant it to be a joke, so I'm not going to ask the question, this is just to help explain why it doesn't really fit.
    Nah, s'cool. If it hadn't been a joke, that would be a valid question. A valid question with some pretty easy answers, including "because I like discussing my opinions about the show with people that both agree and disagree with me", which would've been mine, but a valid question nonetheless.

I have a quote!
    I like you.