New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Blood War; The beginning [IC]

Blood War; the beginning

It had only been a few years since you rejoined the court of Malcanthet, and your duties as her personal bodyguard and right hand Maiden were going as usual, the standard affair of failed assassinations against yourself, clumsy, terribly stupid ones against your Mistress, and personal grudges against you, that were forming and growing with fervor, mostly due to your rapid success.

It was business as usual for the Queen of the Succubi, if you could call it that. She was holding council, petitioning lesser demons, powerful mortals, and ambassadors from other Demon-Lords.

Ishtareth was in court as well, having rejoined her alliance with Ka'Rishta once more, a gaggle of Blade dancers lounged around the throne room, eating grapes, receiving massages, and...other things, that were common place in the court.

All the petitioners for the day had gone, and so the Queen motioned that she was going to retreat to her personal chambers, where she walked with the grace of a god and sat down at her desk, expecting you to take your positions. Ishtareth was allowed to come, it being known that she was a close ally of Ka'Rishta and held to the same ideals. The queen looked at Ka'Rishta and smiled, but it was more of a smile one would give a child who was misbehaving.

"Ka'rishta my dear" she said, he voice filled with the charm only the Queen of the Succubi could bring "we have a new member to our little council." she said, pointedly looking over to Ishtareth, she enjoyed the lesser succubi's insight, which partly allowed her into the presence of the queen. A shadow parted in the corner of the room and a male Demon walked through into their presence.

A tall demon, with a cowl over his head, it was hard to see him...and it was obvious magical protections were barring any divination...walked towards them with a swagger. He revealed his hood, and showed himself, nodding his head to the Queen, he smiled and greeted them all.

"Greetings my Lady, I am glad we could come to an arrangement." he looked over to the two bodyguards and smiled, a winning smile that would make even the greater Succubi tremble with excitement, it was obvious he was a Cambion, you recall his name to be Ixhr.

"I am Ixhr, new Right hand of the Queen of the Succubi, she has garnered my services, and I am glad to be here." he said, nodding, half bowing to the Queen, who was smiling as if a happy child with a plot that was unfolding.

You recall that Ixhr was serving under DemoGorgon for the past 30 years as advisor and Master of Spies. A testimony to his ability to appease Demon-lords, the ability to survive under a dual-natured Demon-Lord was immense, as you are well aware.

He moves forward, stopping at the desk, and its obvious to you, he is a capable warrior, a Master of the Dread Crown Sublime Discipline. You could tell, by the nuances of his movement, the way he flowed and paused, his stance, that he was easily a match for yourself...perhaps stronger.

He looks to the queen and then snaps back to you.
    "We have a mission for you Ka'Rishta, we need you to go the Prime. There is a particular item that needs to be retrieved, you may take your companion Ishtareth with you, in fact, I suggest it. You will be restricted to 1 week, such are the resources at our disposal, but we hope to change that. Retrieve the Eye from Grahth, and come back, that is all we need of you." He speaks to you as if you were under him, and truth be told, with what just happened, he is, and you are thoroughly aware of it.

Ishtareth has a strange sense of dejavu as she looks to the Cambion, it slowly dawns on you, that this one looks eerily similar to Lucius. Different but similar. Like a sibling....or a son.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2015-11-18 at 03:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Blood War; The beginning

Ka'Rishta's face doesnt betray even the slightest emotion as Ixhir is announced and placed above her, the truth is she has seen over half a dozen 'new' right-hands come and go in her time, and yet she was still standing here. It was probably a part of the nature of Abyss, where changes arent permanent, but change is.* More disconcerting to the marilith was his history of association with Demogorgon, although her queen was currently nominally allied with the reptile, Ka'Rishta had little use for the snake who had stabbed her in the back in her invasion of Hell. But these were all issues for another time.

Can you be a bit more specific, what exactly is the eye and where is Grahth? She looks as well to Ishtareth, she assumes that the succubus will accompany her, and not because the cambion just sort of backhandedly ordered it.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Isthareth had been lounging indolently, content to watch the play of Malcanthet's court without active participation at the moment. She was more curious than honored, however, when asked to join Ka'Rishta and Malcanthet in her private hall.

Her curiosity was piqued even further as she made the mental connection between Ixhr and Lucius. Something to follow-up on at a later time. For now, she, unlike most of her sisters, was a soldier-- or at least, about as soldier-like as succubi can become-- and was willing to follow orders. She'd always been more of a follower than a leader anyway, and content to remain so. She gave a slight nod to Ka'Rishta, indicating her agreement to go along, in response to the inquiring look the marilith had given her.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Ixhr smiled or was it a snarl? hard to tell, but he seemed pleased with himself nonetheless.

Nodding he answered the question smiling like a fiend "Of course of course, intel, the sign of any good commander, your reputation precedes you." he says, smirking "The eye is an artifact of mediocre value, it allows minor divination abilities to be used, it's currently being used by Grahth, a Beholder. He can be found in his lair, we will be dropping you off right outside, is there anything else you need?" with a wave of his hand, a portal emerges from a tiny pin prick, light floods the room, and you can see what you can only guess to be the prime.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Ishtareth

"Perhaps it's not my place, but I'll ask anyway. If it's such a minor artifact, why do you need it? And why put such a valuable resource as Ka'Rishta on such a simple task?"
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Its almost completely imperceptible, but Ka'Rishta readies herself to interpose her body between the cambion and Ishtareth. Shes not expecting a violent response to the simple question, but you could never tell with cambions, and Ishtareth was now under her command. She was interested in what sort of lies answers the demon would give.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Ixhr turned to face Ishtareth with a momentary frown, which turns into a raised eyebrow, but only so slightly, as if for a moment, you had caught, or perhaps he had let slip his surprise.

"You are correct, it is not your place." he said flatly, eyeing the subtle shift in Ka'Rishta's body movement. But this time, managing to hide his amusement.

"But, seeing as you are both trusted, I'll explain. Things are being set in motion, plans upon plans, truths and lies upon truths and lies. By weaving a web of falsehoods, it makes it impossible, or at the very least harder, for our enemies to discern our true intent. You are being sent on this trip as one of those, a truth or lie, those listening, or watching will have to figure out which one, and no, for obvious reasons, I cannot tell you which this is." He smiles, trying to glean whether or not you get why. "You are indeed one of the Queens most trusted servants, which only plays more to the credence of this mission. Do not doubt you will be watched, by whom, we have yet to confirm."

He plays his hands up and out, baring his palms "we're running a counter intelligence operation based on half truths and lies, it's why I'm here, and I do it well.", folding his hands behind the small of his back, he turns back to Ka'Rishta "Any other questions my dear? Quickly now, the portal only lasts so long."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Sense motive vs DC 25
    You can tell he is an experienced talker, capable of manipulating words like a goldsmith does a gold chain.

He's telling you the truth, but just as he said, within lies.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    (1d20+16)[34]

I assume Ishtareth will be able to plane shift us back? The question is directed at both the cambion and Ishtareth. If the answer is in the affirmative, she is ready to go, leading the way through the portal.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Ishtareth

"No further questions at this time," Ishtareth says to Ixhr before nodding affirmatively to Ka'Rishta that she can plane shift them back. She follows her superior through the portal.

Show

Her Sense Motive is pathetic, but she's still got a 10% chance of hitting it so....
    (1d20+6)[12]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Once on the other side of the portal, Ka'Rishta takes a moment to talk about what just happened. What do you make of the new right hand of Mal? There are few demons that I trust, and none of those on that list come from the lizard king...nor am I big on cambions for the most part. Pompous posers for the most part.
    Now, what can you tell me about beholders. They arent really present in the Abyss, and during my periods in the prime, I didnt encounter one, or if I did, no one identified it as such.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Ixhr nods "Of course, as long as you can manage to get back here from wherever you appear" he seems unperturbed, as if this whole thing didn't matter. But maybe that was the point.

After both of you go through the portal, it silently winks out of existence, leaving you in a forested glen adjacent to a cave opening.

As picturesque as you had imagined, if anyone was watching your whereabouts, it looked like a classic excursion, there were even a few skeletons at the cave entrance.

The entrance was a good 40 ft across, and perfectly round, or as round as a natural cave can be without stoneworkers.

Upon further inspection, the skeletons show themselves to be a canine, and what appears to be a bear. They lie shiny and clean, picked clean, and if you didn't know better, seemed almost to be on display.

Spoiler: Knowledge Dungeoneering
    Show

DC 28
    You know that Beholders are Aberrations of great power, who fly and have one giant Eyeball that nullifies all magic. Their other eyes are eyestalks, that can project a myriad of spell like abilities.

DC 32
    Most have 10 eyes that can be used at will, that can turn people to stone, out right kill, disintergrate, Dominate, put to sleep or charm.

DC 37
    Beholders are only able to use 3 eyestalks in a 90-degree arc (up, forward, backward, left, right, or down.)
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2015-11-11 at 07:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Ishtareth addresses the most immediate question first. "I've never run into a beholder, nor have I heard anything about them. But I'm sure it's nothing we can't handle. If it were, we wouldn't have been sent on this mission, right? As to Ixhr, I'm not sure what to make of him-- although he reminds me somewhat of Lucius, an incubus I've known. Knowing Malcanthet, though, I suspect she's using him more than he could ever use her."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Keeping a wary eye on the skeletons lest they animate and start becoming combative, Ka'Rishta slithers towards the cave entrance, and if they do not offer opposition, begins to move cautiously inward.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Ishtareth falls into step behind her superior, ready for action if needed, indulging in gossip while it isn't. "I must say I was surprised to see you supplanted, and by a Cambion no less. It's why I suspect our Queen is using him for some private scheme of her own. Did you know this was coming? Did she confide in you in some fashion?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I had no idea it was coming, but it doesn't particularly surprise me. I go up, I go down, round and round in circles She shrugs. Being a warrior in Mal's court is not always the best position, as she is so much into subtleness and intrigue, not to mention outright seduction. Until of course Yeenoghu's hoard is banging on the gates, trying to get in. Sooner or later, he will fall out of favour or outlive his usefulness and be gone. He's not to be trifled with though, I have seen warriors of his school during my time in the court of Graz'zt, and they are formidable.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Isthareth

"There's a place for subtleness and intrigue. There's also a place for mayhem and lighting things on fire. Personally, I prefer the latter approach. It's nice to have the opportunity for a little mayhem." She takes a deep breath of the air around her. "I've missed the prime material. It's good to be back and having the chance to make some mischief."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The Prime is a great place for mischief and a great place for profit. Most humans are hungry for power or whatever and are easily lead astray. And while some are treacherous, they have nothing on the ranks of the Abyss. When you manage to acquire a magic item here, you usually don't have to worry about it carrying some sort of devastating curse, unless the maker was incompetent. And lighting things on fire is always a good plan.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Blood War; The beginning [IC]

You move towards the entrance and the skeletons do not animate, merely continue to smile at you in their morbid deathly grin, like a welcome mat.

Moving further in, you see nothing of import, other that he tunnel seems to be like a magma tube, perfectly round, and it very well may have been, although, you didn't see any rising mountains, let alone active volcanoes outside.

30 feet in, you come across an intersection, you can go straight ahead, or left and right. Both the side chutes curve back towards the same direction as the chute you are in, like a 3 pronged trident.

You noticed nothing usual of a cave, no detritus, no stalacites, or stalagmites, or any other refuse of any kind.

It's as if the place is clean.

Spoiler
    Show

Feel free to roll Spot here.
    If you have any special visual abilities/spells, let me know.

Also, feel free to setup a SOP (like you always search every door kind of thing)
    If you do, please post the bonuses to the appropriate skill checks in the OOC, so I can list them in the OP for quick reference
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

SOP: Ka'Rishta carries 5 of her swords in her hands, and the sixth hand has a wand of Sirine's Grace. Depending on her initiative situation, she will activate the spell and then drop the wand (free action) and quick draw her last sword (also free action)

Ka'Rishta looks left, right and straight ahead, looking for anything that seems out of place
    Spoiler: Spot
    Show
    (1d20+8)[22] left
    (1d20+8)[28] straight
    (1d20+8)[23] right

She waits to see if Ishtareth has noticed something that she didnt pick up on, and then will make a choice based on that.

Special visual: See invisible, true seeing
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2015-11-18 at 07:08 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Ishtareth also looks cautiously each direction, using some of her innate abilities as well.

Show

Spot Check left: (1d20+24)[37]
    Right: (1d20+24)[34]
    Straight: (1d20+24)[38]
    She has darkvision 60' and will use detect thoughts (At Will SLA, DC 27) whenever an opportunity like this (or a locked door) arises.

SOP
    Her search bonus is +17 and she will search doors when encountered. Not that she can disable traps, but she can at least know they're there.
    As mentioned above, she will use Detect Thoughts frequently to determine if something is hidden nearby.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Ka'Rishta can see, but only barely, the outline of a spell matrix that covers the entirety of the intersection.

Spoiler
    Show

Spellcraft DC 28 to identify it as a Symbol of Insanity.

Ishtareth notices nothing unusual, and no thoughts nearby.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2015-11-22 at 02:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Ka'Rishta gestures into the intersection to Ishtareth.
    Theres a symbol in the middle of it, of a type I am not familiar with. Can you dispel it?
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2015-11-22 at 06:44 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

If you are not able to dispel it, I would suggest we teleport past it, our target area is within visual range, and Im not willing to risk triggering it, even not knowing its specific type, I doubt its anything healthy
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Ishtareth

Annoyed that she can't see the spell herself, Ishtareth casts a wide-area counterspell in an attempt to banish the spell's effect. "You'll have to tell me if that worked, since I can't see it." Her annoyance is clear in her tone.

Show

Casting Greater Dispel Magic 20-ft radius
    Caster/Dispel Check: (1d20+16)[33]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Once again with her true seeing active, Ka'Rishta scans the area where the symbol was, checking to see if the dispel took it down.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AS the last syllables of your dispelling is uttered, Ka'Rishta can see the blue matrix slowly pulse, it increases in speed until the matrix itself begins to crack, and then the blue energy making up the matrix seems to be drawn upwards, as if something was pulling it.

Moments later it shatters and a stream of blue energy surges forth.

All is quiet.

But then something else happens, you narrow your eyes and a pearl sized bead of fire appears before you both, at eye level. And explodes.

Spoiler
    Show

Fire - (20d6)[75] Ref save vs DC 37 for half

Ishtareth may make a spellcraft check (DC 22) to identify the spell as Delayed blast Fireball.

A simple int check of DC 10, would give you both that it was a layered trap, underneath the symbol. (so I'll just give it to you both)
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2015-11-25 at 04:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Ishtareth

That stung. "You know, when I said I enjoyed setting things on fire, tripping a delayed fireball trap was not what I meant." The annoyance is dripping off her tone as thickly as the smoke is rising from her scorched skin. Apparently annoyance is a common reaction for the succubus.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Although less badly damaged than the succubus, the annoyance showed by Ka'Rishta is only slightly less palpable.
    We'll chalk it up as more payback to deal when we find that beholder
    Checking once again with her true seeing to see if the way is now clear, Ka'Rishta will slither forward. With nothing to guide them, she picks the middle tunnel at random
    #GoreMutualarejerks

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: In the event you were waiting on me)

Ishtareth resumes her spot slightly behind and to one side of the marilith as they head down the tunnel.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

You travel down the center tube for ~100 feet, the tunnel stays the same the entire way, until you see the floor give out to a deep black whole in the ground, a large chasm the width of the tunnel spreads out before you for 70 ft.

On the side of the tunnel, right next to the drop off, you see a series of words inscribed.

Säg hem och ange

Spoiler
    Show

If you speak Giantese, it says "Speak Home and enter"

If not, then you can attempt a Decipher script check to see if you can figure it out.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A