New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Batman wizard and BBEG?

These are two terms ive seen floating about alot and I don't know what they mean.

Going by the context I'll assume BBEG means somthing like "Big Bad Evil Guy" but to be honest I havn't a clue, and as for batman wizard I dont know what it could mean

So what does BBEG and Batman-wizard mean?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Batman wizard and BBEG?

You got BBEG spot on.

Batman wizard refers to TLN's guide to wizards, since a wizard using that guide will always win with preparation, just like the Bat.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"Big Bad Evil Guy" is correct. He's the ultimate enemy in an adventure or campaign. Xykon in Order of the Stick is an example.

Batman refers to a style of playing a wizard. The idea is that, like Batman, a good wizard is always prepared for any situation which may come up. On the battlefield, he uses few or no direct damaging spells, since damage is something which can be done by anyone in the party, and instead focuses on spells to enhance his allies (like Haste or Greater Magic Weapon), spells to control the battlefield (like Grease or various wall spells), or spells which have a chance of winning the battle instantly (like Baleful Polymorph or Finger of Death). Off the battlefield, he's the guy who teleports everyone to where they need to go, overcomes various non-combat obstacles, and casts divinations to know what you're up against (which is also important for giving him an idea what spells to prepare).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The Logic Ninja's Guide to Wizards is, as has been said, where the Batman term originated, and the concept is explained in the guide.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Consider using a Batman wizard as a BBEG.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CASTLEMIKE View Post
    Consider using a Batman wizard as a BBEG.
    If you want to kill/bore your PC's. ;-)
    Last edited by AKA_Bait; 2007-09-03 at 11:47 AM.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

ya, a BBEG needs to use alot of AoE spells, nice flashy and damage dealing.

fireball
    lightenbolt
    blackfire
    and so on and so forth.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sornjss Lichdom View Post

fireball
    lightenbolt
    blackfire
    and so on and so forth.
    You've never fought a manipulating BBEG have you? They would never think of using flashy spells.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sornjss Lichdom View Post

fireball
    lightenbolt
    blackfire
    and so on and so forth.
    Never thought of Wall of Ice/iron/whatever as a boring spells. Or Evard's Black Tentacles. Or the Phantasmal Killer line.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    You've never fought a manipulating BBEG have you? They would never think of using flashy spells.
    Sure they would... after they put you in a forcecage. Also, a manipulating bbeg would be better served as a Beguiler than a Batman.

Seriously though, although BBEG's don't have to blow everything up, imho a batman bbeg would probably bore and annoy the party. Thing is, a batman bbeg the party could probably never kill and certianly not without going through several annoying and probably deadly to some of the members attempts. Dominate can be ok and still fun since the PC gets to turn around and still do stuff. The save or die/lose/sucks keep at least one PC out of the fun.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    Or the Phantasmal Killer line.
    Save-or-die is not a good choice of a spell for the enemies PCs are supposed to face. "This either kills you or does nothing" is a good spell in Final Fantasy where ressurecting spells/items are widely available and where's no penalty for dying, but not in DND where it only frustrates the players.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    Save-or-die is not a good choice of a spell for the enemies PCs are supposed to face. "This either kills you or does nothing" is a good spell in Final Fantasy where ressurecting spells/items are widely available and where's no penalty for dying, but not in DND where it only frustrates the players.
    Ah, so you're one of those DMs who like to go *real easy* on players, so that nothing ever happens to them.

Personally, I much prefer being offerred a challenge. And really, there are a lot of ways to counter save or dies. And hey, there's always Revivify. Or, heck, if your DM allows it... Revenance/Revivify.
    Last edited by OneWinged4ngel; 2007-09-03 at 12:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OneWinged4ngel View Post
    Ah, so you're one of those DMs who like to go *real easy* on players, so that nothing ever happens to them.

Personally, I much prefer being offerred a challenge. And really, there are a lot of ways to counter save or dies. And hey, there's always Revivify. Or, heck, if your DM allows it... Revenance/Revivify.
    There's a (big) difference between going easy and telling them to roll and either they save, or die. There are other ways to challenge players that don't involve possibility of killing character off for good in one dice roll.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OneWinged4ngel View Post

Ah, so you're one of those DMs who likes to go *real easy* on players, by giving them ready access to resurrection magic... thereby ensuring that anything that happens to them can easily be unhappened.

I agree that if you play by RAW, with resurrection by the book (especially if revivify is permitted), save-or-die is relatively inconsequential. It can get ridiculous at high levels; I recall an incident in one campaign I played in, in which one PC died twice in the same fight and still came out alive at the end.

Me, I'd rather limit the PCs' exposure to insta-kill effects, but make sure that when they do get killed... it counts.
    Last edited by Dausuul; 2007-09-03 at 01:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Okay, the OP's question has been answered and the rest of this thread is trending flame-y. I'm going to lock it now.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex