New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1578
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By RAW) III

A. 417 Addendum

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    A417

You can wear them both at the same time, but because they both provide an armor bonus to AC they don't stack. Only the bigger bonus applies, which is always more cost effective to be the actual armor.
    Bracers of Armor will however protect against incorporeal touch attacks, since it provides a force effect.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Q 418
    Can Quick Reconnoiter modify the time it takes to use Deft Strike?(both feats from CAdv)
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Troll in the Playground

A. 418

No. Actively making a spot check is normally a move action while using Deft Strike requires a standard action, so as written you gain no benefit from Quick Reconnoiter when using the Deft Strike feat.
    LLS

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Orc in the Playground

Q419

A PHBII Druid can use the chapechange variant.
    What it the Str mod on the primary attack? +str mod or +1,5 str mod?
    What's the Power attack return? -1/+1 or -1/+2?

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Troll in the Playground

A. 419

A creature with only one natural weapon may add 1.5 x STR to damage. That does not make it a two-handed weapon though so the PA return is only 1:1.

If a creature has more than one natural weapon it does not get 1.5 x STR to damage for the primary natural weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A creature’s primary attack damage includes its full Strength modifier (1-1/2 times its Strength bonus if the attack is with the creature’s sole natural weapon) and is given first. Secondary attacks add only 1/2 the creature’s Strength bonus and are given second in the parentheses.
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-08-07 at 06:27 AM. Reason: SRD reference
    LLS

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Titan in the Playground

Q 420

Can a character take the Ability Focus feat from the Monster Manual to boost the DC of class abilties such as an Assassin's death attack, a Dragon Shaman's breath weapon or a Knight's test of mettle, or does it apply only to innate special attacks?

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Troll in the Playground

A. 420

It also applies to class-related special attacks, there are no other prerequisites than it being a "special attack".

ABILITY FOCUS [GENERAL]

Choose one of the creature’s special attacks.

Prerequisite: Special attack.

Benefit: Add +2 to the DC for all saving throws against the special attack on which the creature focuses.

Special: A creature can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time the creature takes the feat it applies to a different special attack.
    LLS

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q 421

A character with the Murky-eyed flaw has to roll twice for concealment (turning a 20% miss chance into a 36% miss chance):

Murky-Eyed
    Your vision is obscured.

Effect
    In combat, every time you attack an opponent that has concealment, roll your miss chance twice. If either or both results indicate that you miss, your attack fails.
    Would such a character also have to roll twice in the case of total concealment?

The rules seem to indicate a yes, but it appears counter-intuitive that a murky-eyed character would have a worse chance to hit than a totally blind character.
    Last edited by Ogh_the_Second; 2007-08-07 at 09:31 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Troll in the Playground

A. 421

When you are trying to hit someone with total concealment you are not attacking the opponent strictly speaking. Instead you are swinging your weapon blindly into a square.

Murky Eyed only applies to opponents you are attacking.

Total Concealment: If you have line of effect to a target but not line of sight he is considered to have total concealment from you. You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies. A successful attack into a square occupied by an enemy with total concealment has a 50% miss chance (instead of the normal 20% miss chance for an opponent with concealment).
    (My emphasis)
    LLS

10. - Top - End - #1120

PirateGuy

Q 422:

How do multiple doses of the same poison on the same target work? If I get two attacks and hit my opponent twice with arrows laced with, say, Deathblade, does he make a separate save against each one? Do the effects stack? Is there some sort of penalty involved?
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ettin in the Playground

A 422

Each dose affects a character the same as it would without the previous or subsequent dose. The character makes separate Fort saves and takes separate damage if the saves are failed. There are no special penalties or rules that affect poisons simply because different doses are applied in quick succession.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

12. - Top - End - #1122

Devil

Q 423

I have a 6th Level Warlock and I want to use the Maximize Spell-Like Ability on his Eldritch Blast (Level 1)...but I also want to use the Maximized blast along with the blast shape invocation "Hideous Blow" (also Level 1)...can you add essence/blast shape invocations to a heightened Eldritch blast?

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q424

a) Does an undead with barbarian class levels (such as the mummy I'm going to send after my players) use the charisma modifier instead of the constitution modifier to calculate the duration of rage?
    b) If yes, does the +4 to constitution from rage change into a +4 to charisma (which would increase the save DCs of Despair and Mummy Rot)?
    If no, for how long does an undead barbarian rage?

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Troll in the Playground

A. 424

No. Charisma applies to concentration checks, not to everything constitution related.

An Undead Barbarian rages for 3 rounds.
    LLS

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Orc in the Playground

Q425

Full of questions these days.

I seem to have trouble with calculating CR.

A LvL 1 Human Warrior is CR 1/2
    A LvL 1 Human Fighter is CR 1
    A LvL 1 gnoll Fighter is CR 2

A LvL 2 Human Warrior is CR 1
    A LvL 1 Goblin Warrior is CR 1/3
    A LvL 1 Goblin fighter is CR 1?
    A LvL 2 Goblin Warrior is CR 1/2?

A LvL 5 Gnoll Druid is CR 6?

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Troll in the Playground

A. 425

Estimating the proper CR is almost as much art as it is science.

Quote Originally Posted by Falrin View Post
    A LvL 1 Goblin Warrior is CR 1/3
    A LvL 1 Goblin fighter is CR 1?
    A LvL 2 Goblin Warrior is CR 1/2?
    A Goblin fighter level 1 is CR 1 since there is not a negative modifier to CR, although in this case that might be considered appropriate.

Warrior is an NPC class and they are always treated as non-associated adding +1/2 CR for every level.
    This means that a level 2 Goblin warrior would be CR 5/6 (1/2 +1/3).

A LvL 5 Gnoll Druid is CR 6?
    Gnolls have 2 HD and are CR 1.
    The first 2 Druid levels (nonassociated class levels) add +1 CR.
    The next 3 (now associated) add +3 CR.
    This gives us CR 5 (1+1+3).

Nonassociated Class Levels

If you add a class level that doesn’t directly play to a creature’s strength the class level is considered nonassociated, and things get a little more complicated. Adding a nonassociated class level to a monster increases its CR by 1/2 per level until one of its nonassociated class levels equals its original Hit Dice. At that point, each additional level of the same class or a similar one is considered associated and increases the monster’s CR by 1.

Levels in NPC classes are always treated as nonassociated.
    LLS

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 426

Will beneficial single touch spells effect a swarm?

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

A426

Generally no. As mentioned in the swarm subtype....
    A swarm is immune to any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures (including single-target spells such as disintegrate), with the exception of mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects) if the swarm has an Intelligence score and a hive mind.
    There's nothing indicating that the swarm is able to suppress this quality.

Aid and heroism are mind-affecting, beneficial touch spells though; a strict reading indicates that these will work.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

19. - Top - End - #1129

Q.427

if there was a group like the OOTS alignment-wise, but someone was a paladin or multi-classed to paladin, would one be fallen right away for associating with the evil character?
    Last edited by waffletaco; 2007-08-08 at 01:12 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Titan in the Playground

A427

Not necessarily. Knowingly associating with an evil character would be in violation of the paladin code of conduct I believe, but a fall would require gross violation of the code. This is rather subjective...but I'd say a gross violation would involve intentionally disregarding the character's evil alignment.

Views on matters of alignment tend vary wildly however, so asking the DM in question is strongly advised.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Troll in the Playground

A. 427

I would say that associating with evil creatures is a gross violation, at least if it happens over a longer period of time or repeatedly, but your mileage may vary as Jasdoif says.

Associates

While she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil characters, nor will she continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin may accept only henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are lawful good.
    LLS

22. - Top - End - #1132

HalflingRangerGuy

A427

And no one knows that Belkar was evil, not even Miko, since he has always successfully blocked her detect evil with a lead sheet. Belkar has not done anything seriously evil either. Belkar is, at most, vanilla evil, evil lite, diet evil. A paladin who can neither prove a party mate is evil nor has witnessed said party mate perform acts of evil is not at the risk of falling since as much as he is good he is lawful. Being duped into association is not knowingly associating with.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    I would say that associating with evil creatures is a gross violation, at least if it happens over a longer period of time or repeatedly, but your mileage may vary as Jasdoif says.
    OK, so we're agreed that an immediate fall isn't definite, then?

I guess a big part of it is how you define "associate". My view is that simply working with an evil character isn't a gross violation; however anything that's basically "I am unconcerned with this character being evil" is. So, acts like sitting idle and allowing the evil character to undertake an evil act, failing to "turn in" the evil character to the proper (ie Good) authorities when such is realistically attainable, or entering into an agreement to work alongside the evil character.

Basically I don't feel that a paladin should be unduly punished if the only available aid involves an evil character. Make a paladin tread on shaky ground, sure; but fall-or-die?

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    OK, so we're agreed that an immediate fall isn't definite, then?

I guess a big part of it is how you define "associate".
    Yes and the way the original question was worded leave us with a bit of leeway.

If they meet for a cup of coffee it is probably not necessarily grounds for a fall.

The following illustrates the confusion that arises when dealing with alignment questions concerning Paladins.

My view is that simply working with an evil character isn't a gross violation; however anything that's basically "I am unconcerned with this character being evil" is. So, acts like sitting idle and allowing the evil character to undertake an evil act, failing to "turn in" the evil character to the proper (ie Good) authorities when such is realistically attainable, or entering into an agreement to work alongside the evil character.
    (My emphasis)

There is only a slight difference between the two bolded sentences, but as I read you it basically amount to the duration and nature of the association, say the difference between meeting for coffee once or going on an adventure together.

Basically I don't feel that a paladin should be unduly punished if the only available aid involves an evil character. Make a paladin tread on shaky ground, sure; but fall-or-die?
    There is not much flexibility in the description of the Paladin Code of Conduct.
    Forming an adventuring party with a creature the Paladin knows is evil is not possibly, nor is banding with a chaotic neutral thief that repeatedly steals, if you want to live up to the high standards required.

For lesser transgressions it basically depends on your definition of associate, but it seems reasonable to define associate as "adventure with" given the context.
    LLS

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q428

Does a character still get the bonus feats provided at every third level if that third level is part of a level adjustment?

For example, a 5th level character with a +5 LA. Do they get their 6th and 9th level bonus feats?

((As an aside, using the same example, from what I can tell they don't get their ability score adjustment for 8 as that's based on hit-dice. Am I wrong on this?))
    When in danger or in doubt; run in circles, scream and shout.

"Plot Fairy w/ Adventure Hook" avatar expertly crafted by Rowsen. Well done, sir.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

A428

No. LA does not count towards your character level, and thus isn't a factor in determining when you get your feats and your ability score increases.

27. - Top - End - #1137

Q 429

Concerning gestalt.
    How do racial hit die and level adjustment affect it?
    Are the hit die and level adjustment "gestaltable"?
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Old) town characters:
    Mourn(half orc) Tethost(tiefling wizard)
    thanks Vael for the avatars

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ettin in the Playground

A 429

To my knowledge there are no official rules written on the subject. But, since racial hit dice and LA are supposedly equivalent to class levels, it would only be reasonable that you can include these items as one-half of a gestalt combination. For instance, if you had a race with 4 HD and +2 LA, there should be no problem giving it 6 class levels to make a 6th-level gestalt character.

Naturally, levels of LA would mean the class you use would have all of its normal features regardless of what your race's features are at each level where the combination is "LA/class". If the example character above were a dragon/wizard, for example, it would have 4d12 HD at full BAB and all good saves and 2d4 HD at half BAB and only a good Will save. It makes the most sense to me that the LA/class combination would apply at some point after the first hit die, though, as I mentioned above, there are no hard rules on the subject.

You should be sure to discuss this issue with your DM so you know exactly how he intends to implement such a situation.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-08-08 at 03:59 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 430

What's the effect of spell duration when the spell target is no longer valid?
    A creature whose size doubles (thus multiplying its weight by 8) and then is turned to stone (which would multiply its weight by a factor of roughly 3) now weighs about 24 times normal, not 10 times normal.
    Enlarge Person has "Target: One humanoid creature" and "Duration: 1 min./level". Flesh to Stone has "Target: One creature" and "Duration: Instantaneous".

Does an Enlarged creature turned to Stone shrink back to original size as a stone statue?

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Troll in the Playground

A. 430

Considering that the target is instantly transformed into a stone statue I would have to say no.
    By the time the target is unable to benefit from any size or shape altering effects the transformation into stone has already taken place.
    LLS