New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Goblin Tribe (IC)

Spoiler: @Thelonius
    Show
    Is it possible that instead of shooting during Sarudis' attack, Whistler could instead dive into the water after Shadowslinker? Shadowslinker's Favor is one of Whistler's traits - and with his skill at Survival (and his warm clothing) - I'm thinking he could help Shadowslinker survive the encounter and make it to shore.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Whistler

Whistler jumps after the Shadowslinker into the water. As goblins sails around on their boats and yell for him and Shadowslinker, neither surface. Narz proposes that they sail to the shore of the Dark Wood - if goblins survived, they would have reached land there. But other goblins feel uneasy about the place, as the light fades and opt to sail home.

Whistler’s Fate
    Spoiler
    Show

Whistler peers into the dark water - it’s a tough job to spot where Shadowslinker has gone, there’s a powerful current. Whistler lets himself be carried to the shore and there he spots a figure climbing thick roots of a tree. He swims there and climbs after the figure - Shadowslinker.

Check DC3: Win (3 Successes)
    Skills: [CON][Perception][Survival]

’’They are coming’’ Shadowslinker hisses. ’’She attacked me here, because she knew they’ll try to take me. We must run.’’ Whistler pauses uncertain of Shadowslinker’s words, but then he remembers, that he knows about this place. An unnatural, horrible place, where something dark lives. They must run. Whistler quickly realizes, that the inhabitants of the Dark Wood would cut off their escape - the goblins on the boats yell for them, but it’s too dangerous to go there.

They run through the woods, pursued by something unseen. Yet, Whistler can sense it, a malign presence, that is trying to circle around and trap them. And then… It doesn’t seem like Whistler and Shadowslinker could fight it, even if they were in their top form. They stop at the point, where an old path splits in two and Whistler finds Shadowslinker’s eyes on himself. With sudden certainty Whistler knows, that the other goblin is considering abandoning him - of the two, even with damage he suffered Shadowslinker is more likely to survive and he may gain more time, if their pursuer catches up to Whistler. Shadowslinker reaches a conclusion and beckons Whistler. Together they continue to run - then sudden cold wave hits them and Whistler’s movements slow down. It feels like coldness is reaching into his heart, and it’s beats grow fewer and fewer. A loud explosion rocks the forest - Shadowslinker tossed something behind them, Whistler fights the temptation to turn around and see their pursuer. A moment of hesitation may be the death of him. They continue to run and suddenly there are no more trees around them. Whistler falls down exhausted, fearing what would come out of the woods. But no monster emerges. ’’They can’t live the woods.’’ says Shadowslinker. ’’Who?’’ asks Whistler, between gasps. ’’Don’t know.’’ answers Shadowslinker.

Check DC5: Win (6 Successes)
    Skills Used: [WIS][Survival][Knowledge: Nature][Perception][Shadowslinker’s Favor]
    Warm Clothes: Negate Winter Penalty

Whistler and Shadowslinker find themselves at a desolate, empty area. In the east are the woods that they have left, but around as far as eye can see is empty expanse of barren land. Shadowslinker tends to his wounds, while speaking. ’’We can’t go back through the woods, it’s suicide. We have only two options to get back to the tribe. If we go north, we’ll reach marsh, past which is the Hobgoblin Camp. I have dealt with them a few times, but it’s risky. There was that talk of a raid - if Sunken Keep attacks them, then Hobgoblins would have kill first, attitude for any goblin. That is if they don’t hang us as spies. I haven’t been to the south - if we can circle the lake, then eventually, we may reach the Sunken Keep, but what waits us there, could be anything.

[You are currently located in the Wastes, west of Darkwood. You lack mounts or traveling equipment, so your traveling speed is low. You don't get Food from the Kitchen, so unless you use your reserves, you'll have -1 Stat]

[You can reach the Hobgoblin Camp in 1 Action. If you could walk openly through Hobgoblin Camp, you could reach Sunken Keep in another Action. If you try to sneak through or fight through, it'll take 1 Action to pass Hobgoblin Camp and then another action to reach Sunken Keep.]

[If you travel south, it'll take 1 Action per Territory traveled, as Shadowslinker doesn't know the terrain, until you reach the Lushwoods. Of course favorable terrain or finding something like an old road would speed things up. You would be able to build a boat, if you find a wooded area near the lake.]

Hobgoblin Camp
    Mushroom Woods
    Sunken Keep
    Mountain Path
    Ogre Mine
    Marshes Lightwood
    Still Lake
    Firefly Marsh
    Long-Nose Peak
    Wastes Darkwood
    Deep Lake
    Lush Woods
    Wetlands Sternturm Isle Lake
    Southside Lake
    Glitterlake

Grob The Scribe

Murasak

''Okay. Keep the robes. I'll take the boat.''

[OOC: I'll need to know how you divide the stuff from Warehouse raid (with Whistler absent). Narz & Marsia are willing to trade their stuff at this point.]

Chief Soxkill's Inquiry

Chief Soxkill has Musarak and Gud by his side, as Grob, Narz and Marsia arrive. He seems to be in no mood for long tales. ''Well, tell me what happened and be quick about it.'' he snaps at the goblins.
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Whistler's Fate

Spoiler
    Show
    [OOC: I'll use my reserve when it becomes necessary to prevent losing a stat. If Shadowslinker were to train me in stealth for one action, could we benefit from that training during an attempt to sneak past the Hobgoblins? I am currently at +2 Dex thanks to resting in the Dining Halls last turn, so hopefully one action of Stealth for Beginners by Professor Shadowslinker could be enough to let us slip past the Hobgoblins unnoticed. So that would be 1 action for Stealth training, 1 action to travel to the Hobgoblin Camp, and 2 actions to sneak past the camp and get home. Also, I assume I still have my equipment (Bow and Arrows 3, Fur Clothing) in case we do get in a fight with Hobgoblins?]

"You know I will follow your lead, but I have a suggestion if you wanna hear it. I think maybe we stay put for a day and let that eye heal up a bit, maybe you could show me a few tricks to improve my sneaking, then we head north and slip right past those Hobos. If the Wolfslayer does lead his raid, it may make it even easier for us. He's good at making himself the center of attention."

[OOC: Also, I gotta say - this is a really cool story arc.]
    Last edited by Snarkhunter; 2015-12-25 at 10:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Jalax
    Jalax woke up with more energy, than he was used to. He could already feel the changes of his new rules in the way life were in the hall. Jalax was ready to work, and started the day with gathering his followers. When he had found them, they would together start working on making fishing equipment. Jalax intended to make enough of it, so everybody on fishing duty would have some. Jalax also decided to see if he could find someone to talk about using the tribes new boat in the underground lake. It would save Jalax the time required to build one and the boat seemed to be of a good quality.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Jalax will spend 1 action with his followers making fishing equipment. He will also find someone to talk with about the boat. Lastly the stat Jalax got from better shelter will go to increase his con from -2 to -1.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Grob the Scribe

Chief Soxkill's Inquiry

Grob clears his throat and speaks "Shadowslinker had cage with a creature inside. Creature said it worked with the mages and told Shadowslinker about the island. Shadowslinker told us that creature was very dangerous and to stay away. On boat, Shadowslinker went over to the cage and the nasty broke out and attacked him, throwing him off boat! Whistler jumped in after Shadowslinker. Creature turned into giant monster and told us she would see us soon and flew away!"

Loot: Warehouse

Grob is going to claim the mysterious charts and the pretty stones and circles.

@Narz & Marsia

Grob wants to trade the pretty stones and circles with Narz and Marsia in exchange for the ink and feather.

OOC: I assume Grob gets to keep all the stuff he looted personally that wasn't taken?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Grob

Soxkill’s Inquiry

’’Quite a fantastic story. Are you sure you didn’t just murder him to keep valuable stuff to yourself?’’ Soxkill asks casually. ’’Where did this creature come from you say? Some sort of Mages?’’

Loot

[OOC: I’ll wait a couple days for Gwafhu to voice his loot preferences, before proceeding. The stuff looted personally goes to you, unless somebody opts to take it away by force.]

Jalax

Fishing

Jalax and his followers make several [Fishing Rods 1].

Musarak

’’You want a boat for fishing?’’ Musarak asks. ’’I don’t know. You’ll probably scratch or stink it. What if Chief decides to catch some sun on the lake?’’ Considering the downpour outside, that is unlikely, but it’s clear the Elite is considering to just send Jarlax away with a kick, for wasting his time.

Whistler

Whistler [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Shadowslinker gives a slight nod. ’’Yes. That is a wise course of action. Only fools rush without preparations. I’ll show you some tricks.’’

Shadowslinker and Whistler spend time, recovering from their wounds and exhaustion, and Whistler learns from Shadowslinker ways of passing unnoticed and hiding his trail. His great knowledge and skill help Whistler quickly make progress.

Whistler gains [Skill: Stealth 1].
    [OOC: You have enough XP, that 1 more Action would improve your Stealth to 2.]

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

0. Do you proceed through Marshes to sneak past the Hobgoblin Camp?
    1. You are going to lose 1 Stat point from hunger. All goblins automatically consume 1 Food from the Kitchens, which provides -1 Stat Status. Since you don’t have access to Kitchen’s free food, at this point your food consumption for turn is 0, which increases penalty to -2 Stats.
    2. It is quite cool, totally changed Shadowslinker’s fate. Whistler was pretty much the only goblin there with a chance to pull it off. The Dark Wood is a high tier location, that goblins at this stage of game have very little chance to survive.
    3. If you manage to reach Sunken Keep, you will receive a Title and Class Level: Ranger, so good luck.
    4. In theory, if you work to improve your Favor with Shadowslinker, he may make you his apprentice, which would provide you second Ranger Class Level.

Last edited by Thelonius; 2015-12-27 at 07:58 AM.
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Jalax
    Fishing
    Jalax hoped that they had made enough fishing rods, but he knew that they would soon find out.

The boat
    ”We will be careful with the boat and if the chief wants it we can just deliver it back. What you really need to think about, is how the boat is going to help us catch more fish and that if we catch more fish, then the tribe is going to have more food, and if the tribe has more food, then I believe that the chiefs most trusted servants are going to get some of that extra food.” Jalax said to Musarak, hoping that the idea of more food would allow Jalax to use the boat.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Whistler [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

After a tough day of training, Whistler addresses his teacher with great sincerity and respect in his voice ...

"I have learned more in the past several days than in any season I have spent with the tribe. I know much was lost during the attack, but I managed to save this {takes out the wolf jerky}. This small meal is not enough to show my appreciation, but hopefully it will help with your recovery. Please accept it with my thanks. "

"We can leave when you're ready. Kurd doesn't seem the patient type - and he does like to fight during a storm - so I think his raid will begin soon, before the weather changes. There is probably time to spend one more day practicing what you have taught me before we leave, if you think that is wise, to best increase the chances of sneaking by those Hobos."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, lets travel through the Marshes and sneak past the Hobgoblin Camp.

Shadowslinker doesn't appear to have his own food reserves, so give him mine. He probably needs it more than Whistler anyway, considering the severity of that wound.

Hopefully Shadowslinker agrees to spend one more action training me in Stealth before we continue this journey.

Also ... being Shadowslinker's apprentice would be awesome ...

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Kurd, the Wolfslayer

Weapons for Everyone
    Before it is time to go out raiding it is necessary that the goblins under Kurd's command actually be armed with something more than branches. So he tells them to gather some materials and make crude spears. It's not much, but it's better than nothing. He expects that he'll have to do most of the fighting himself anyway.

Murder in the Halls
    While his flunkies are busy arming themselves Kurd has another matter to attend to. Specifically the murder of Zunk. Now Kurd did not particularly care for Zunk. But Zunk was Kurd's lackey, and Kurd's simple mind is very clear on the fact that the only one allowed to hurt Kurd's lackeys is Kurd himself.

As such Kurd is in a towering rage that anyone dared to murder one of his goblins. Who do they think they are to get away with such an act. Not being a subtle sort Kurd starts by intimidating the goblins who lived in the same hall as Zunk into telling him what they know.

Skiike
    Kurd puffs up with bravado at the words of the other goblin. He hadn't really thought about, but yes he is going to be a raid leader. One of his life long dreams at last being realized. At last there will be much fighting and looting.

"Yes, I be leading it."

Spoiler
    Show
    And yes, it should be happening this turn.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Food: Use a food to gain a point of charisma. Do that first so it applies to the actions.

Action 1: Go hunting around to see if Kurd can find out who murdered Zunk.

I believe Kurd's current stats are:

Str +3
    Dex -1
    Con +2
    Wis -1
    Int -1
    Cha 1

What is the level of Kurd's Armor?

Is he still wounded?

10. - Top - End - #190

Skiike

Kurd
    Thinking to himself for a few moments Skiike responds Well, I wont be much help this month, I'm still a bit hurt from a cooking accident. He looks at his gut, which has an open wound But if you needs anythin done here let me know. I bet you gonna be a great raider an dats tha kinda goblin I'd like to be friends with.

11. - Top - End - #191

Grob the Scribe

Soxkill Inquiry

"No, chief! The monster attacked him. Shadowslinker said the creature worked with the mages that lived across the lake. They have metal men protecting them!"

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Delivering Papers: Grob is going to bring 3 papers to Scribbles

Crafting: Grob is going to try to find a tailor to make his new apprentice robe fit him and to use the spare material from it to create a wizard's hat.

Studying: Grob is going to focus on refining his magic and making it more predictable.

Deciphering charts: Grob is going to try to figure out what the charts he looted from the mages mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

On Shadowslinker: "I don't know how that beastie got loose. Guess it could have gnawed or clawed something loose. Not sure why it broke out at that moment though. I didn't hear it breaking out however it managed it."

On the loot: Gwafu's brow rises, "The chief is brave indeed to take on those bottles himself, having no fear of the strange magics they might hold. Unless the chief in his wisdom is looking for some to unravel their secrets for the good of the tribe. If that's the case, I have tinkered with such magics and may be willing to take on those experiments. I may even find a way to make more given enough to work with." After a pause, he continues "Of course, I'd understand if the chief might want to hold some item while those experiments are done, perhaps some of the beans retrieved on the raid."

On the side, Gwafu will ask around about Shadowslinker's staff and see if anyone else lays claim to it. If not, he will offer to hold it for him until he returns.

While on stinky tunnel duty with Whistler, he'll ask about what he saw on the island and what he knows of the creature that got loose.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If I can negotiate for the potions, I'll use actions experimenting with those. Otherwise, I may be some further craftwork on the spear, possibly covering it with engravings.

On a side note, do goblins know how to prepare coffee? If so, I may be able to sweeten the deal by offering to prepare some.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler: OOC @ Shimeran
    Show
    Whistler dived into the water after Shadowslinker. He didn't return to the Sunken Keep (and so was not assigned a Duty this season.)
    Last edited by Snarkhunter; 2015-12-28 at 09:49 PM.